Welcome to the Flickr site of the State Archives of North Carolina. Through this site, we hope to provide a glimpse into some of the unique collections available in the State Archives and to engage you in helping us put names and dates to some of our unidentified and poorly identified photographs.
The State Archives of North Carolina collects, preserves, and makes available for public use historical and evidential materials relating to North Carolina. Our holdings consist of official records of state, county, and local governmental units, and copies of federal and foreign government materials. In addition to these official records are private collections, organization records, maps, pamphlets, sound recordings, photographs, motion picture film, and a small reference library. In all, the Archives houses over 50,000 linear feet of permanently valuable materials containing millions of individual items. The State Archives is part of Archives and Records, a Division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources www.ncculture.com. Please visit the official website of the State Archives of North Carolina at www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/archives/default.htm and read our blog at history4all.blogspot.com/.
A variety of means are available to you for accessing our collections -- old-fashioned card files and analog finding aids, online finding aids www.archives.ncdcr.gov/ead/default.htm, and various lists, calendars, and old-school in-house reference tools. You must utilize all of these (and you may still need to call a reference staff person as well) in order to fully search our holdings. Thankfully some of our material is indexed and searchable online via the online MARS catalog mars.archives.ncdcr.gov/AdvancedSearch.aspx. Youtube tutorials www.youtube.com/user/ncarchives may help you use this online catalog more successfully than you can by simply trying to navigate your way through it intuitively. And we now have this ever-growing Flickr presence where you can conveniently browse and search some of our photos.
If you would like to use any of the photographs displayed here, please do, but please make sure to properly credit us. All material from the State Archives used for reproduction or illustrative purposes must be accompanied by the following credit line:
Courtesy of the State Archives of North Carolina
Some publishers may require a letter or form formally granting permission to use and/or reproduce photographs and other items. If you require such a permission letter, please contact the State Archives at: www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/archives/default.htm.
Thank you for choosing to stop in and browse our Flickr site. We hope you enjoy the experience, and please feel free to add tags, make comments and suggestions, and help us out if you can! Also check us out on facebook at www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/North-Carolina-State-Ar....
Photos of State Archives of North Carolina (5)
State Archives of North Carolina's favorite photos from other Flickr members (2)
- Urbanites: Shopping Carts 51 photos, 16 members
- Veterans of the American Civil War 6,365 photos, 905 members
- Chapel Hill History 33 photos, 13 members
- Plott Hounds 337 photos, 69 members
- Flickr Commons 2,504 photos, 2,145 members
- Linville Gorge 1,677 photos, 153 members
- The Vintage Group Portrait 5,112 photos, 272 members
- ArchivesOnFlickr 11,422 photos, 345 members
- North Carolina Folklife 2,554 photos, 182 members
- Old Photos 136,729 photos, 7,442 members
- North Carolina 99,251 photos, 3,612 members
- Antique Photographs 64,836 photos, 1,684 members
- Raleigh 19,740 photos, 1,344 members
- Vintage North Carolina 926 photos, 146 members
- Historic and Old Photos 109,096 photos, 3,834 members
- History Directory 89,749 photos, 2,582 members
- Old Photographs 133,972 photos, 4,158 members
State Archives of North Carolina doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- State Archives of North Carolina Raleigh, NC
- February 2008