Welcome to the Flickr site of the State Archives of North Carolina. Through this site, we hope to provide a glimpse into some of the unique collections available in the State Archives and to engage you in helping us put names and dates to some of our unidentified and poorly identified photographs.
The State Archives of North Carolina collects, preserves, and makes available for public use historical and evidential materials relating to North Carolina. Our holdings consist of official records of state, county, and local governmental units, and copies of federal and foreign government materials. In addition to these official records are private collections, organization records, maps, pamphlets, sound recordings, photographs, motion picture film, and a small reference library. In all, the Archives houses over 50,000 linear feet of permanently valuable materials containing millions of individual items. The State Archives is part of Archives and Records, a Division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources www.ncculture.com. Please visit the official website of the State Archives of North Carolina at www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/archives/default.htm and read our blog at history4all.blogspot.com/.
A variety of means are available to you for accessing our collections -- old-fashioned card files and analog finding aids, online finding aids www.archives.ncdcr.gov/ead/default.htm, and various lists, calendars, and old-school in-house reference tools. You must utilize all of these (and you may still need to call a reference staff person as well) in order to fully search our holdings. Thankfully some of our material is indexed and searchable online via the online MARS catalog mars.archives.ncdcr.gov/AdvancedSearch.aspx. Youtube tutorials www.youtube.com/user/ncarchives may help you use this online catalog more successfully than you can by simply trying to navigate your way through it intuitively. And we now have this ever-growing Flickr presence where you can conveniently browse and search some of our photos.
If you would like to use any of the photographs displayed here, please do, but please make sure to properly credit us. All material from the State Archives used for reproduction or illustrative purposes must be accompanied by the following credit line:
Courtesy of the State Archives of North Carolina
Some publishers may require a letter or form formally granting permission to use and/or reproduce photographs and other items. If you require such a permission letter, please contact the State Archives at: www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/archives/default.htm.
Thank you for choosing to stop in and browse our Flickr site. We hope you enjoy the experience, and please feel free to add tags, make comments and suggestions, and help us out if you can! Also check us out on facebook at www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/North-Carolina-State-Ar....
State Archives of North Carolina's favorite photos from other Flickr members (2)
- Urbanites: Shopping Carts 51 photos, 16 members
- Veterans of the American Civil War 6,015 photos, 847 members
- Chapel Hill History 33 photos, 12 members
- Plott Hounds 327 photos, 65 members
- Flickr Commons 2,235 photos, 1,954 members
- Linville Gorge 1,629 photos, 145 members
- The Vintage Group Portrait 4,642 photos, 238 members
- ArchivesOnFlickr 10,889 photos, 319 members
- North Carolina Folklife 2,471 photos, 180 members
- Old Photos 129,720 photos, 7,240 members
- North Carolina 92,276 photos, 3,448 members
- Antique Photographs 61,401 photos, 1,610 members
- Raleigh 19,360 photos, 1,330 members
- Vintage North Carolina 970 photos, 141 members
- Historic and Old Photos 101,401 photos, 3,688 members
- History Directory 71,575 photos, 2,186 members
- Old Photographs 127,939 photos, 4,020 members
State Archives of North Carolina doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- State Archives of North Carolina Raleigh, NC
- February 2008