Welcome to the Flickr site of the State Archives of North Carolina. Through this site, we hope to provide a glimpse into some of the unique collections available in the State Archives and to engage you in helping us put names and dates to some of our unidentified and poorly identified photographs.
The State Archives of North Carolina collects, preserves, and makes available for public use historical and evidential materials relating to North Carolina. Our holdings consist of official records of state, county, and local governmental units, and copies of federal and foreign government materials. In addition to these official records are private collections, organization records, maps, pamphlets, sound recordings, photographs, motion picture film, and a small reference library. In all, the Archives houses over 50,000 linear feet of permanently valuable materials containing millions of individual items. The State Archives is part of Archives and Records, a Division of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources www.ncculture.com. Please visit the official website of the State Archives of North Carolina at www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/archives/default.htm and read our blog at history4all.blogspot.com/.
A variety of means are available to you for accessing our collections -- old-fashioned card files and analog finding aids, online finding aids www.archives.ncdcr.gov/ead/default.htm, and various lists, calendars, and old-school in-house reference tools. You must utilize all of these (and you may still need to call a reference staff person as well) in order to fully search our holdings. Thankfully some of our material is indexed and searchable online via the online MARS catalog mars.archives.ncdcr.gov/AdvancedSearch.aspx. Youtube tutorials www.youtube.com/user/ncarchives may help you use this online catalog more successfully than you can by simply trying to navigate your way through it intuitively. And we now have this ever-growing Flickr presence where you can conveniently browse and search some of our photos.
If you would like to use any of the photographs displayed here, please do, but please make sure to properly credit us. All material from the State Archives used for reproduction or illustrative purposes must be accompanied by the following credit line:
Courtesy of the State Archives of North Carolina
Some publishers may require a letter or form formally granting permission to use and/or reproduce photographs and other items. If you require such a permission letter, please contact the State Archives at: www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/archives/default.htm.
Thank you for choosing to stop in and browse our Flickr site. We hope you enjoy the experience, and please feel free to add tags, make comments and suggestions, and help us out if you can! Also check us out on facebook at www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/North-Carolina-State-Ar....
Photos of State Archives of North Carolina (3)
State Archives of North Carolina's favorite photos from other Flickr members (2)
- Urbanites: Shopping Carts 51 photos, 16 members
- Veterans of the American Civil War 6,260 photos, 881 members
- Chapel Hill History 33 photos, 13 members
- Plott Hounds 336 photos, 68 members
- Flickr Commons 2,275 photos, 2,049 members
- Linville Gorge 1,658 photos, 147 members
- The Vintage Group Portrait 4,811 photos, 254 members
- ArchivesOnFlickr 11,386 photos, 328 members
- North Carolina Folklife 2,490 photos, 181 members
- Old Photos 134,035 photos, 7,348 members
- North Carolina 95,680 photos, 3,519 members
- Antique Photographs 64,494 photos, 1,651 members
- Raleigh 19,522 photos, 1,337 members
- Vintage North Carolina 976 photos, 144 members
- Historic and Old Photos 105,131 photos, 3,752 members
- History Directory 79,869 photos, 2,391 members
- Old Photographs 132,463 photos, 4,079 members
State Archives of North Carolina doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- State Archives of North Carolina Raleigh, NC
- February 2008