Greetings! We are the National Register of Historic Places – the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation.
Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archeological resources.
Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. There are NR properties are inside National Parks, U.S. Territories, and even shipwrecks. Almost every county in the Untied States has at least one place listed in the National Register.
We highly encourage you to tag our photographs and make comments!
After browsing Flickr, we realized that the public is engaged in and excited about America’s historic places and landmarks. The many pictures posted by users and the numerous Groups created to celebrate these places convinced us that our pictures should be online for the public to view. Thank you for getting us involved!
About The Photographs:
Through each individual picture, collection or set, you can find more information about the properties we have listed. Enjoy the photographs and feel free to learn more about our nation’s historic treasures.
Photographs posted by this account are from the official National Register and National Historic Landmarks archives - courtesy of the respective State Historic Preservation Offices (SHPO) or nomination preparers. Some of our photographs were taken by NR/NHL staff members. We have posted photography in order to increase knowledge of our listings and the history behind their significance. We ask that you take a look at our Copyright Statement before using the pictures. Our second reason for joining was to increase dialogue with you. We encourage Flickr users to post feedback and ask us questions. We may contact you for permission to feature your photography on our website.
To be featured on our website:
Use the creative commons rights on the photograph
Search the National Register!
The National Register of Historic Places is a treasure trove for professional historians, scholars, and anyone curious about American history.
Search a list of properties
Read an ever-growing inventory of full nomination forms online
This account is monitored by the programs’ archivists. The National Register is administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Archivist, National Register of Historic Places
Photos of National Register (11)
- 2013 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 260 photos, 133 members
- New Hampshire Architecture 857 photos, 72 members
- The Revolution Flickred 1775-1783 6,357 photos, 642 members
- Train Engines & Rolling stock 50,802 photos, 365 members
- 2012 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 207 photos, 130 members
- Railroad Depots 9,746 photos, 342 members
- Philadelphia Architecture 3,928 photos, 189 members
- Philadelphia: The Charm of the City 34,910 photos, 2,330 members
- 2011 NHL Photo Contest 202 photos, 119 members
- 2011 Mid-Century Modern Georgia photo contest 83 photos, 74 members
- History Happens HERE! St. Louis stories 580 photos, 85 members
- National Register's County Challenge 1,526 photos, 119 members
- Historic Hudson Valley 233 photos, 104 members
- Sleepy Hollow Country 1,597 photos, 117 members
- Canadian Register of Historic Places 714 photos, 31 members
- 2010 NHL Photo Contest 332 photos, 292 members
- Art Deco - Americas 9,807 photos, 533 members
- Movie Theatres 20,933 photos, 763 members
- Native American Indian Ruins & Artifacts 9,972 photos, 1,365 members
- Idaho 18,535 photos, 691 members
- Black and White Yosemite National Park 2,189 photos, 455 members
- USA.gov - Official U.S. Government Photostreams 2,315 photos, 87 members
- Flickr Gov 13 photos, 44 members
- Archaeology 20,900 photos, 1,216 members
- Southwestern archaeology 3,832 photos, 418 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,742 photos, 1,920 members
- Baltimore Heritage 3,707 photos, 172 members
- HBCU(Historically Black Colleges and Universities) Campus Photos 1,226 photos, 65 members
- Forgotten Towns of the Eastern United States 5,035 photos, 115 members
- Habitação Nativa - Native Dwelling 2,299 photos, 411 members
- Connecticut 29,947 photos, 938 members
- Historical Sites Of The U.S. 2,148 photos, 145 members
- Minnesota History Center 267 photos, 63 members
- MNSAH -- Minnesota Chapter Society of Architectural Historians 303 photos, 13 members
- Art Deco Puerto Rico 302 photos, 46 members
- Old Textile Mills 7,479 photos, 527 members
- Old Mills Anywhere 7,945 photos, 1,007 members
- Historic One-Room Schoolhouses of America 2,019 photos, 336 members
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest 274 photos, 195 members
- Kentucky History 1,122 photos, 56 members
- Steel Industry 15,044 photos, 1,428 members
- Louis Sullivan, Architect 1,047 photos, 187 members
- Modern Bank Architecture 912 photos, 149 members
- Wyoming "The Cowboy State" 20,155 photos, 845 members
- CEMETERIES - Western Ghost Towns and Mining Camps 611 photos, 180 members
- MISSOURI ARCHITECTURE 3,745 photos, 111 members
- Missouri State Parks / Historical Areas 6,956 photos, 450 members
- American South in Black & White 15,855 photos, 423 members
- Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail 452 photos, 54 members
- War of 1812 Monuments (America-British) 563 photos, 87 members
- 2013 National Historic Landmark Photo Contest 13 photos
- 2012 NHL Photo Contest 13 photos
- 2011 NHL Photo Contest Winner and Honorable Mentions 11 photos
- 2010 NHL Photo Contest Winner & Runners-Up 12 photos
- Featured NR Property II! 14 photos
- Featured NR Property! 18 photos
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest Winners 12 photos
Timeless Legacy says:
"The National Register is a wonderful program that allows the preservation efforts of the Department of Interior to spread beyond the scope of the National Park Service. The photography collections that the National Register has taken the time to create on Flicrk provide viewers with a tangible history of the storied past of our collective heritage. I encourage students of the history of all ages to explore and learn about the historic sites that represent all Americans - past, present, and future.
October 31st, 2010
"As a photographer of places on the National Register, I love having the actual National Register photos up on Flickr to compare and contrast. Keep up the good work!"
July 17th, 2010
"The National Register is making a great contribution to Flickr by showing various properties around the nation with historic significance. This is a great way for the public to learn about places that reflect American heritage. I look forward to seeing more properties posted. Thank you for initiating this project!"
April 2nd, 2010
"Love the photos. An abundance of photos about historical places and buildings."
April 1st, 2010
- National Register of Historic Places
- March 2009
- Washington, D.C., United States
- National Register of Historic Places
- nrhp_nhl [at] yahoo.com