Greetings! We are the National Register of Historic Places – the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation.
Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archeological resources.
Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. There are NR properties are inside National Parks, U.S. Territories, and even shipwrecks. Almost every county in the Untied States has at least one place listed in the National Register.
We highly encourage you to tag our photographs and make comments!
After browsing Flickr, we realized that the public is engaged in and excited about America’s historic places and landmarks. The many pictures posted by users and the numerous Groups created to celebrate these places convinced us that our pictures should be online for the public to view. Thank you for getting us involved!
About The Photographs:
Through each individual picture, collection or set, you can find more information about the properties we have listed. Enjoy the photographs and feel free to learn more about our nation’s historic treasures.
Photographs posted by this account are from the official National Register and National Historic Landmarks archives - courtesy of the respective State Historic Preservation Offices (SHPO) or nomination preparers. Some of our photographs were taken by NR/NHL staff members. We have posted photography in order to increase knowledge of our listings and the history behind their significance. We ask that you take a look at our Copyright Statement before using the pictures. Our second reason for joining was to increase dialogue with you. We encourage Flickr users to post feedback and ask us questions. We may contact you for permission to feature your photography on our website.
To be featured on our website:
Use the creative commons rights on the photograph
Search the National Register!
The National Register of Historic Places is a treasure trove for professional historians, scholars, and anyone curious about American history.
Search a list of properties
Read an ever-growing inventory of full nomination forms online
This account is monitored by the programs’ archivists. The National Register is administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Archivist, National Register of Historic Places
Photos of National Register (8)
- 2013 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 263 photos, 135 members
- New Hampshire Architecture 807 photos, 61 members
- The Revolution Flickred 1775-1783 5,904 photos, 600 members
- Train Engines & Rolling stock 19,653 photos, 213 members
- 2012 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 210 photos, 136 members
- Railroad Depots 6,780 photos, 276 members
- Philadelphia Architecture 4,061 photos, 166 members
- Philadelphia: The Charm of the City 32,585 photos, 2,276 members
- 2011 NHL Photo Contest 203 photos, 123 members
- 2011 Mid-Century Modern Georgia photo contest 86 photos, 69 members
- History Happens HERE! St. Louis stories 577 photos, 79 members
- National Register's County Challenge 1,040 photos, 112 members
- Historic Hudson Valley 233 photos, 105 members
- Sleepy Hollow Country 1,391 photos, 115 members
- Canadian Register of Historic Places 658 photos, 29 members
- 2010 NHL Photo Contest 332 photos, 296 members
- Art Deco - Americas 9,225 photos, 512 members
- Movie Theatres 16,068 photos, 678 members
- Native American Indian Ruins & Artifacts 8,325 photos, 1,191 members
- Idaho 14,919 photos, 600 members
- Black and White Yosemite National Park 2,051 photos, 419 members
- USA.gov - Official U.S. Government Photostreams 1,936 photos, 88 members
- Flickr Gov 41 photos, 46 members
- Archaeology 15,634 photos, 1,027 members
- Southwestern archaeology 3,312 photos, 347 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,126 photos, 1,928 members
- Baltimore Heritage 3,229 photos, 150 members
- HBCU(Historically Black Colleges and Universities) Campus Photos 1,117 photos, 53 members
- Forgotten Towns of the Eastern United States 4,639 photos, 87 members
- Habitação Nativa - Native Dwelling 2,193 photos, 407 members
- Connecticut 26,116 photos, 901 members
- Historical Sites Of The U.S. 2,267 photos, 139 members
- Minnesota History Center 201 photos, 62 members
- MNSAH -- Minnesota Chapter Society of Architectural Historians 127 photos, 11 members
- Art Deco Puerto Rico 339 photos, 38 members
- Old Textile Mills 6,643 photos, 499 members
- Old Mills Anywhere 6,167 photos, 844 members
- Historic One-Room Schoolhouses of America 2,113 photos, 328 members
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest 270 photos, 199 members
- Kentucky History 859 photos, 44 members
- Steel Industry 12,867 photos, 1,300 members
- Louis Sullivan, Architect 984 photos, 180 members
- Modern Bank Architecture 863 photos, 137 members
- Wyoming "The Cowboy State" 17,136 photos, 747 members
- CEMETERIES - Western Ghost Towns and Mining Camps 594 photos, 165 members
- MISSOURI ARCHITECTURE 2,982 photos, 93 members
- Missouri State Parks / Historical Areas 6,112 photos, 402 members
- American South in Black & White 14,465 photos, 406 members
- Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail 448 photos, 50 members
- War of 1812 Monuments (America-British) 410 photos, 67 members
Legacy Images says:
"The National Register is a wonderful program that allows the preservation efforts of the Department of Interior to spread beyond the scope of the National Park Service. The photography collections that the National Register has taken the time to create on Flicrk provide viewers with a tangible history of the storied past of our collective heritage. I encourage students of the history of all ages to explore and learn about the historic sites that represent all Americans - past, present, and future.
October 31st, 2010
"As a photographer of places on the National Register, I love having the actual National Register photos up on Flickr to compare and contrast. Keep up the good work!"
July 17th, 2010
"The National Register is making a great contribution to Flickr by showing various properties around the nation with historic significance. This is a great way for the public to learn about places that reflect American heritage. I look forward to seeing more properties posted. Thank you for initiating this project!"
April 2nd, 2010
"Love the photos. An abundance of photos about historical places and buildings."
April 1st, 2010
- National Register of Historic Places
- March 2009
- Washington, D.C., United States
- National Register of Historic Places
- nrhp_nhl [at] yahoo.com