Greetings! We are the National Register of Historic Places – the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation.
Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archeological resources.
Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. There are NR properties are inside National Parks, U.S. Territories, and even shipwrecks. Almost every county in the Untied States has at least one place listed in the National Register.
We highly encourage you to tag our photographs and make comments!
After browsing Flickr, we realized that the public is engaged in and excited about America’s historic places and landmarks. The many pictures posted by users and the numerous Groups created to celebrate these places convinced us that our pictures should be online for the public to view. Thank you for getting us involved!
About The Photographs:
Through each individual picture, collection or set, you can find more information about the properties we have listed. Enjoy the photographs and feel free to learn more about our nation’s historic treasures.
Photographs posted by this account are from the official National Register and National Historic Landmarks archives - courtesy of the respective State Historic Preservation Offices (SHPO) or nomination preparers. Some of our photographs were taken by NR/NHL staff members. We have posted photography in order to increase knowledge of our listings and the history behind their significance. We ask that you take a look at our Copyright Statement before using the pictures. Our second reason for joining was to increase dialogue with you. We encourage Flickr users to post feedback and ask us questions. We may contact you for permission to feature your photography on our website.
To be featured on our website:
Use the creative commons rights on the photograph
Search the National Register!
The National Register of Historic Places is a treasure trove for professional historians, scholars, and anyone curious about American history.
Search a list of properties
Read an ever-growing inventory of full nomination forms online
This account is monitored by the programs’ archivists. The National Register is administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Archivist, National Register of Historic Places
Photos of National Register (11)
- 2013 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 260 photos, 137 members
- New Hampshire Architecture 826 photos, 64 members
- The Revolution Flickred 1775-1783 6,076 photos, 616 members
- Train Engines & Rolling stock 28,333 photos, 256 members
- 2012 National Historic Landmark (NHL) Photo Contest 209 photos, 136 members
- Railroad Depots 7,526 photos, 301 members
- Philadelphia Architecture 3,487 photos, 176 members
- Philadelphia: The Charm of the City 32,826 photos, 2,311 members
- 2011 NHL Photo Contest 203 photos, 123 members
- 2011 Mid-Century Modern Georgia photo contest 86 photos, 73 members
- History Happens HERE! St. Louis stories 580 photos, 81 members
- National Register's County Challenge 1,213 photos, 115 members
- Historic Hudson Valley 233 photos, 106 members
- Sleepy Hollow Country 1,501 photos, 117 members
- Canadian Register of Historic Places 712 photos, 29 members
- 2010 NHL Photo Contest 332 photos, 294 members
- Art Deco - Americas 9,532 photos, 516 members
- Movie Theatres 16,800 photos, 699 members
- Native American Indian Ruins & Artifacts 8,709 photos, 1,250 members
- Idaho 16,220 photos, 629 members
- Black and White Yosemite National Park 2,091 photos, 430 members
- USA.gov - Official U.S. Government Photostreams 2,118 photos, 88 members
- Flickr Gov 12 photos, 45 members
- Archaeology 17,282 photos, 1,092 members
- Southwestern archaeology 3,497 photos, 370 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,452 photos, 1,930 members
- Baltimore Heritage 3,420 photos, 156 members
- HBCU(Historically Black Colleges and Universities) Campus Photos 1,167 photos, 57 members
- Forgotten Towns of the Eastern United States 4,762 photos, 96 members
- Habitação Nativa - Native Dwelling 2,222 photos, 408 members
- Connecticut 27,092 photos, 916 members
- Historical Sites Of The U.S. 2,161 photos, 142 members
- Minnesota History Center 222 photos, 61 members
- MNSAH -- Minnesota Chapter Society of Architectural Historians 127 photos, 12 members
- Art Deco Puerto Rico 294 photos, 41 members
- Old Textile Mills 6,870 photos, 516 members
- Old Mills Anywhere 6,706 photos, 900 members
- Historic One-Room Schoolhouses of America 2,107 photos, 328 members
- National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) Photo Contest 275 photos, 198 members
- Kentucky History 902 photos, 47 members
- Steel Industry 13,632 photos, 1,350 members
- Louis Sullivan, Architect 1,004 photos, 183 members
- Modern Bank Architecture 893 photos, 137 members
- Wyoming "The Cowboy State" 18,118 photos, 780 members
- CEMETERIES - Western Ghost Towns and Mining Camps 600 photos, 173 members
- MISSOURI ARCHITECTURE 3,286 photos, 99 members
- Missouri State Parks / Historical Areas 6,366 photos, 415 members
- American South in Black & White 15,603 photos, 418 members
- Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail 449 photos, 53 members
- War of 1812 Monuments (America-British) 443 photos, 71 members
Legacy Images says:
"The National Register is a wonderful program that allows the preservation efforts of the Department of Interior to spread beyond the scope of the National Park Service. The photography collections that the National Register has taken the time to create on Flicrk provide viewers with a tangible history of the storied past of our collective heritage. I encourage students of the history of all ages to explore and learn about the historic sites that represent all Americans - past, present, and future.
October 31st, 2010
"As a photographer of places on the National Register, I love having the actual National Register photos up on Flickr to compare and contrast. Keep up the good work!"
July 17th, 2010
"The National Register is making a great contribution to Flickr by showing various properties around the nation with historic significance. This is a great way for the public to learn about places that reflect American heritage. I look forward to seeing more properties posted. Thank you for initiating this project!"
April 2nd, 2010
"Love the photos. An abundance of photos about historical places and buildings."
April 1st, 2010
- National Register of Historic Places
- March 2009
- Washington, D.C., United States
- National Register of Historic Places
- nrhp_nhl [at] yahoo.com