Welcome to the National Library of Norway's photostream on Flickr. The National Library of Norway has joined Flickr to increase public access to our digital collections. All digital files have been reproduced by The National Library of Norway unless otherwise noted.
The National Library is to preserve and make accessible to the present and the future the information that shapes our society, regardless of how and in which medium it is published.
The National Library of Norway's collection is a vast treasure chest of information and experiences about Norway, Norwegians and Norwegian culture and history. And as the Norwegians have been and still are a travelling people, the collection is supplemented from the world at large.
You can find unique collections of manuscripts, special collections of books, music, radio and TV programs, film, theatre, maps, posters, pictures, photographs and newspapers.
Everything from hides, parchments, paper documents, glass plates and other information carriers in all imaginable and unimaginable "old" formats – to digital documents, is stored safely to ensure that our cultural heritage can be transmitted to the coming generations. By collecting, organizing, safeguarding and making accessible the past for the future the National Library will be Norway's memory bank.
A main pillar in the collection of materials is the Legal Deposit Act. It ensures that everything that is published in Norway can be found at the National Library. In addition, the National Library purchases or otherwise receives historical material, in part to make its collections complete, in part to maintain lending collections.
Vision and goals
The National Library shall be a multimedia centre of knowledge which seeks to:
• Be among Europe's most exciting and modern national libraries
• Form the core of the Norwegian Digital Library
• Offer high quality knowledge and experiences
• Assist in the understanding of culture and technology
• Be an organization willing and able to change
A Digital National Library
The National Library of Norway has embarked on the process of digitising all of its collection. The Norwegian cultural heritage will be transferred to digital formats for preservation and access purposes. How copyrighted material will be digitised and how access will be granted, will be decided in a dialogue with the rights holders.
For access to our digital library please visit www.nb.no.
Digitising the Collection of the National Library
Read more about the strategy, the digitisation initiative, handling the digital material and the timeframe:
• Agreement on digital deposit between the Norwegian Publishers Association and the National Library of Norway.
• 50,000 Norwegian books accessible on the net - free of charge and perfectly legal!
Free to use
We are uploading images from our digital collections on Flickr.
The National Library of Norway has joined Flickr to increase public access to our digital collections. All digital files have been reproduced by The National Library of Norway unless otherwise noted.
The documents are free to use, if no other exception is expressed. All images that are uploaded to The National Library of Norway’s photostreamon Flickr are in the public domain because the copyright has expired as to Norwegian copyright law, and/or the copyright belongs to the library and has been wavered.
Please make a clear source reference to The National Library. Please link back when sharing photos on the Internet. Questions regarding high quality reproduction should be directed to the library.
The National Library
P.o. Box 2674 Solli
- MOUNTAIN 79,437 photos, 8,081 members
- Fredrikstad Group 163 photos, 14 members
- the mystery church 93 photos, 138 members
- Unidentified flowers and plants 7,867 photos, 1,160 members
- Plane Spotting 867,717 photos, 4,814 members
- What's That Picture? (pre-1945 mysteries) 1,517 photos, 324 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 87,320 photos, 4,613 members
- Eidsvollsbygningen 43 photos, 9 members
- ThisIsNorway 1,334 photos, 19 members
- Historic Hotels of Norway 49 photos, 16 members
National Library of Norway doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- March 2010
- nasjonalbiblioteket [at] yahoo.com