My photos are all copyright.Please ask if you want to use them....I generally say 'yes' to non-commercial use.
My website: www.jonathanvansmit.com/
In case you wondered~~~~
Leica Blog interview by Eric Kim here blog.leica-camera.com/photographers/interviews/jonathan-v...
A conversation with Bellamy aka Japan Camera Hunter: japancamerahunter.com/2012/07/featured-photographer-jonat...
Interview by Invisible Photographer Asia
'City of Dreams' video vimeo.com/31087242
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 80,577 photos, 3,850 members
- Fujifilm X-E1 / X-E2 20,923 photos, 767 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 749 photos, 1,177 members
- M-Hexanon 21-35mm 145 photos, 26 members
- Street Photography : Uncanny - Unheimlich 67 photos, 12 members
- LOMO 219,202 photos, 34,819 members
- Leica M Monochrom 20,078 photos, 1,164 members
- Akinabooks 1,279 photos, 552 members
- This city called Earth 4,837 photos, 633 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 4 / GRD IV 25,852 photos, 1,379 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 427,625 photos, 103,495 members
- Road Map- The Faces of China 942 photos, 29 members
- Leica Summilux-M 21mm ASPH. 658 photos, 161 members
- LEICA Summilux-M 21mm f1.4 ASPH 1,734 photos, 212 members
- Fictitious Reality 45TH Exhibition-Jack.ed 20 photos, 236 members
- Фотографија / Photography 9,699 photos, 348 members
- Leica M9 Users 42,288 photos, 909 members
- 黑白中国 = B&W CHINA 14,334 photos, 829 members
- Fictitious Reality 36 th Exhibition- Kirsty Mitchell 26 photos, 351 members
- Leica Street 52,638 photos, 1,721 members
- Leica M9 B&W 10,341 photos, 227 members
- Leica M9 Rangefinder 62,379 photos, 1,124 members
- Hong Kong Street Photography 15,117 photos, 380 members
- LEICA M Hong Kong 3,571 photos, 292 members
- Leica M9 118,335 photos, 5,211 members
- Hardcore China Street Photography 3,867 photos, 527 members
- RICOH GR Digital III (GRD3) 68,039 photos, 3,045 members
- Sunday Street Life 1,083 photos, 134 members
- s h u t t R b u g _ s T r e e t 2,985 photos, 223 members
- Dead Pose Society 182 photos, 50 members
- HONG KONG WALK 1,936 photos, 273 members
- LM - Loop magazine (please read rules before posting!) 610 photos, 358 members
- m a d e i n p u b l i c 14 photos, 47 members
- raining days - 雨天 9,817 photos, 2,355 members
- rEd WhiTE BlUe, HERE, There,eveywhere. 無處不在的紅白藍 107 photos, 43 members
- 黑.摄.會 (Black-White Photography) 40,353 photos, 828 members
- the wabi-sabi aesthetic 4,465 photos, 383 members
- alan's psychedelic breakfast 5,168 photos, 1,031 members
- Aesthetic relativism 2,125 photos, 169 members
- Canon 50 mm f/0.95 2,073 photos, 283 members
- Beijing 798 Art Zone 837 photos, 187 members
- Booooooom.com! 282,796 photos, 16,796 members
- Ingmar Bergman's 63rd Film 9,845 photos, 859 members
- the famous tailor of Stanley Street 26 photos, 26 members
- Hong Kong PhotoTreks 52 photos, 12 members
- Hong Kong Streets 3,230 photos, 247 members
- Hong Kong Nights 14,507 photos, 1,257 members
- Discover Hong Kong 13,706 photos, 374 members
- Hong Kong Images 109,375 photos, 3,039 members
- Once: Pictures and Stories 27,754 photos, 1,988 members
nicholas dominic talvola says:
" from the dark to bring the light, you got the touch my friend and a very unique style that makes you stand out."
5th August, 2012
"Jonathan is truly a street master.
He really incarnates Hong Kong's Darkest Soul."
7th May, 2012
"The true master of street photography in Hong Kong, he shows us another side of our city."
28th January, 2012
clarence kk says:
"If I must name three of the most important Hong Kong street photographers :
Yau Leung 邱良 、Fan Ho 何藩 and K_iwi."
10th November, 2011
"K_iwi show me hong kong as I pictured it in the channel 8 chinese movies in my childhood- with his style, it brings a kind of sentimentality and nostalgic feel to how I imagined the place to be- I suppose most felt this way too. His works have a kind of depth that is usually unfelt by most people. Great job, and keep shooting! :)"
26th July, 2011
N A B A Z says:
"Love the RAW documentary style.
Love the dark moody almost Blade Runner feel to it.
Love the dirty and underground feel to it.
Love his composition.
Love his courage.
Love his balls....and I'm not even gay."
30th March, 2011
"I have a K_iwi addiction."
2nd March, 2011
Edo HdezG says:
"Un trabajo realmente atrayente e impactante.
Un gran dominio de la composición y el blanco y negro.
Gracias por compartir con toda la comunidad fotográfica tus trabajos."
31st October, 2010
[ pikture ] says:
"I have not had such a shock for a long time
It's just incredible, these images are the essence of photography.
What I'm discovering (sorry, i'm late) are not just very good pictures, but some true masterpieces.
Can't take away from my mind."
14th August, 2010
lille abe says:
"an excellent eye for street photography!
stunning B&W work!
here you will find out what "get closer" really means!
love the documentary feeling too...
sentimental, nostalgic, real HK with its people, places and atmosphere!
briliant work, mate!"
6th June, 2010
"I would say Jonathan is one of the finest street photographer you can find in Hong Kong. He interacts with people so intimately that you can actually feel a story behind their facial expression.
Keep up the great work. Your photos always inspire me."
12th April, 2010
Thomas Luk says:
"Beyond his braveness going into the "dark zone" in the street, there is no one, including those "famous" photographers, can match K_iwi 's candid snapshot in Hong Kong. He knows how to impact the eyes of his audience and shows them the real world.
K_iwi is a great observer and reporter."
12th April, 2010
~Ken Tsang~ says:
"K_iwi's photos are unique, he is a very skillful and creative. He shoot like an invisible man and through his work we can see the "dark" side of HK! Respect!"
13th April, 2010
Jiang D 蔣世基 says:
"one of my street hero ..!"
12th March, 2010
"Your stream has brought me so much inspiration since HCB. Truly a Master ."
7th February, 2010
James Yeung says:
"You'll find the alternative side of Hong Kong in Jonathan's photostream. The vice, the secrets, the good and the bad are all unveiled in his unique pictures. Welcome to the real HK!"
11th December, 2009
moxie mojo says:
"this is long overdue...;)
he inspires me...
and we all need a little inspiration in our lives.
so thank you mr k_iwi
*and thanks for putting up with my edit requests!* :P"
22nd November, 2009
18th May, 2009
"I love K_iwi's photostream for the great influx of cultural shots from HK. I always find myself checking to see what's new. I haven't been to HK before (closest I've gotten is Zhuhai and Macao), but everytime I veiw K_Iwi's photos, I have this irresistible urge to jump the next flight to that part of the world and get immersed in the culture again. Thanks for letting us all live through your lens!"
19th April, 2009
Yubai K says:
"K_iwi knows how to bring you in a very intimate contact with HK city, its walls and streets, its men and ladies, its holes and decay, and sometimes its smell. He's catching the soul of this fantastic city though stunning bw shots and sometimes excellent colors ones. To me, he's great !"
14th April, 2009
"to Be or not to Be ...
that is the anwser....
for the ones who have a camera instead of a skull in the hand....
....and you are...¡¡¡¡
29th March, 2009
"The King of HK Street. An epic journey into HK's Heart of Darkness... his stream humanises HK in a way nobody else does."
25th March, 2009
Linc ~ says:
"Not many photographier can capture personality in their photos. Ki_wi is one of them. I never met K_iwi in person, but I can feel his personality reflected his photos. I enjoy seeing the world through his lens. I also admired his daring style as well. He took photos of subjects I would avoid . Thanks for sharing your photos with us."
17th January, 2009
"It´not good to call someone "a source of inspiration"-
because you might tend to copy his style, approach
or even his eyes. But in K_iwi´s case I´m getting
deep down to the source of photography and this
is something rare and precious- without the danger
to become a blueprint.
A phat "THANK YOU!", K_iwi.
22nd August, 2008
Eddie . . says:
21st August, 2008
"I love a 鬼佬 that calls himself that. Great stuff. Keep it up."
15th August, 2008
- Jonathan van Smit
- January 2007
- Hong Kong, China
- I am:
- jvansmit [at] gmail.com