My photos are all copyright.Please ask if you want to use them....I generally say 'yes' to non-commercial use.
My website: www.jonathanvansmit.com/
In case you wondered~~~~
Leica Blog interview by Eric Kim here blog.leica-camera.com/photographers/interviews/jonathan-v...
A conversation with Bellamy aka Japan Camera Hunter: japancamerahunter.com/2012/07/featured-photographer-jonat...
Interview by Invisible Photographer Asia
'City of Dreams' video vimeo.com/31087242
- Leica Monochrom Typ 246 3,317 photos, 254 members
- Leica X (Typ 113) 2,519 photos, 382 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 197,444 photos, 5,996 members
- Fujifilm X-E1 / X-E2 83,448 photos, 2,634 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 708 photos, 1,236 members
- M-Hexanon 21-35mm 214 photos, 37 members
- Street Photography : Uncanny - Unheimlich 84 photos, 14 members
- LOMO 223,806 photos, 38,293 members
- Leica M Monochrom 42,214 photos, 2,187 members
- Akinabooks 1,152 photos, 546 members
- This city called Earth 6,190 photos, 652 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 4 / GRD IV 34,681 photos, 1,693 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 409,134 photos, 105,548 members
- Road Map- The Faces of China 949 photos, 31 members
- Leica Summilux-M 21mm ASPH. 1,551 photos, 290 members
- LEICA Summilux-M 21mm f1.4 ASPH 2,621 photos, 364 members
- Fictitious Reality 45TH Exhibition-Jack.ed 19 photos, 230 members
- Фотографија / Photography 20,116 photos, 874 members
- Leica M9 Users 78,845 photos, 1,709 members
- 黑白中国 = B&W CHINA 19,276 photos, 953 members
- Fictitious Reality 36 th Exhibition- Kirsty Mitchell 26 photos, 341 members
- Leica Street 92,025 photos, 2,622 members
- Leica M9 B&W 15,322 photos, 275 members
- Leica M9 Rangefinder 84,581 photos, 1,313 members
- Hong Kong Street Photography 33,520 photos, 743 members
- LEICA M Hong Kong 3,636 photos, 400 members
- Leica M9 149,385 photos, 6,330 members
- Hardcore China Street Photography 4,440 photos, 652 members
- RICOH GR Digital III (GRD3) 71,673 photos, 3,345 members
- Sunday Street Life 1,083 photos, 130 members
- s h u t t R b u g _ s T r e e t 2,845 photos, 225 members
- Dead Pose Society 169 photos, 47 members
- HONG KONG WALK 2,034 photos, 280 members
- LM - Loop magazine (please read rules before posting!) 518 photos, 351 members
- m a d e i n p u b l i c 14 photos, 47 members
- raining days - 雨天 18,148 photos, 3,582 members
- rEd WhiTE BlUe, HERE, There,eveywhere. 無處不在的紅白藍 106 photos, 44 members
- 黑.摄.會 (Black-White Photography) 76,914 photos, 1,372 members
- the wabi-sabi aesthetic 4,989 photos, 422 members
- alan's psychedelic breakfast 4,963 photos, 1,043 members
- Aesthetic relativism 1,981 photos, 164 members
- Canon 50 mm f/0.95 2,814 photos, 447 members
- Beijing 798 Art Zone 809 photos, 190 members
- Booooooom.com! 386,480 photos, 18,632 members
- Ingmar Bergman's 63rd Film 8,939 photos, 834 members
- the famous tailor of Stanley Street 24 photos, 26 members
- Hong Kong PhotoTreks 53 photos, 11 members
- Hong Kong Streets 3,734 photos, 237 members
- Hong Kong Nights 22,786 photos, 1,817 members
- Discover Hong Kong 15,862 photos, 372 members
nicholas dominic talvola says:
" from the dark to bring the light, you got the touch my friend and a very unique style that makes you stand out."
August 5th, 2012
"Jonathan is truly a street master.
He really incarnates Hong Kong's Darkest Soul."
May 7th, 2012
"The true master of street photography in Hong Kong, he shows us another side of our city."
January 28th, 2012
clarence kk says:
"If I must name three of the most important Hong Kong street photographers :
Yau Leung 邱良 、Fan Ho 何藩 and K_iwi."
November 10th, 2011
"K_iwi show me hong kong as I pictured it in the channel 8 chinese movies in my childhood- with his style, it brings a kind of sentimentality and nostalgic feel to how I imagined the place to be- I suppose most felt this way too. His works have a kind of depth that is usually unfelt by most people. Great job, and keep shooting! :)"
July 26th, 2011
"Love the RAW documentary style.
Love the dark moody almost Blade Runner feel to it.
Love the dirty and underground feel to it.
Love his composition.
Love his courage.
Love his balls....and I'm not even gay."
March 30th, 2011
"I have a K_iwi addiction."
March 2nd, 2011
Edo HdezG says:
"Un trabajo realmente atrayente e impactante.
Un gran dominio de la composición y el blanco y negro.
Gracias por compartir con toda la comunidad fotográfica tus trabajos."
October 31st, 2010
[ pikture ] says:
"I have not had such a shock for a long time
It's just incredible, these images are the essence of photography.
What I'm discovering (sorry, i'm late) are not just very good pictures, but some true masterpieces.
Can't take away from my mind."
August 14th, 2010
lille abe says:
"an excellent eye for street photography!
stunning B&W work!
here you will find out what "get closer" really means!
love the documentary feeling too...
sentimental, nostalgic, real HK with its people, places and atmosphere!
briliant work, mate!"
June 6th, 2010
"I would say Jonathan is one of the finest street photographer you can find in Hong Kong. He interacts with people so intimately that you can actually feel a story behind their facial expression.
Keep up the great work. Your photos always inspire me."
April 12th, 2010
Thomas Luk says:
"Beyond his braveness going into the "dark zone" in the street, there is no one, including those "famous" photographers, can match K_iwi 's candid snapshot in Hong Kong. He knows how to impact the eyes of his audience and shows them the real world.
K_iwi is a great observer and reporter."
April 12th, 2010
~Ken Tsang~ says:
"K_iwi's photos are unique, he is a very skillful and creative. He shoot like an invisible man and through his work we can see the "dark" side of HK! Respect!"
April 13th, 2010
Jiang D 蔣世基 says:
"one of my street hero ..!"
March 12th, 2010
"Your stream has brought me so much inspiration since HCB. Truly a Master ."
February 7th, 2010
James Yeung says:
"You'll find the alternative side of Hong Kong in Jonathan's photostream. The vice, the secrets, the good and the bad are all unveiled in his unique pictures. Welcome to the real HK!"
December 11th, 2009
moxie mojo says:
"this is long overdue...;)
he inspires me...
and we all need a little inspiration in our lives.
so thank you mr k_iwi
*and thanks for putting up with my edit requests!* :P"
November 22nd, 2009
May 18th, 2009
"I love K_iwi's photostream for the great influx of cultural shots from HK. I always find myself checking to see what's new. I haven't been to HK before (closest I've gotten is Zhuhai and Macao), but everytime I veiw K_Iwi's photos, I have this irresistible urge to jump the next flight to that part of the world and get immersed in the culture again. Thanks for letting us all live through your lens!"
April 19th, 2009
Yubai K says:
"K_iwi knows how to bring you in a very intimate contact with HK city, its walls and streets, its men and ladies, its holes and decay, and sometimes its smell. He's catching the soul of this fantastic city though stunning bw shots and sometimes excellent colors ones. To me, he's great !"
April 14th, 2009
"to Be or not to Be ...
that is the anwser....
for the ones who have a camera instead of a skull in the hand....
....and you are...¡¡¡¡
March 29th, 2009
"The King of HK Street. An epic journey into HK's Heart of Darkness... his stream humanises HK in a way nobody else does."
March 25th, 2009
Linc ~ says:
"Not many photographier can capture personality in their photos. Ki_wi is one of them. I never met K_iwi in person, but I can feel his personality reflected his photos. I enjoy seeing the world through his lens. I also admired his daring style as well. He took photos of subjects I would avoid . Thanks for sharing your photos with us."
January 17th, 2009
"It´not good to call someone "a source of inspiration"-
because you might tend to copy his style, approach
or even his eyes. But in K_iwi´s case I´m getting
deep down to the source of photography and this
is something rare and precious- without the danger
to become a blueprint.
A phat "THANK YOU!", K_iwi.
August 22nd, 2008
Eddie . . says:
August 21st, 2008
"I love a 鬼佬 that calls himself that. Great stuff. Keep it up."
August 15th, 2008
- Jonathan van Smit
- January 2007
- Hong Kong, China
- I am:
- jvansmit [at] gmail.com