My general aim is to document streetscapes, and record a few of the sights that catch my eye. I like to capture scenes of commerce and recreation that have a sence of place. I hope to use this blog to support the Dupont Circle Update newsletter.
I love cropping - it really demonstrates the power of capturing a view. I use four horizontal ratios: 4:3, 3:2 (Oskar Barnack's favorite), 1618:1000 (the golden ratio), and 2:1; plus square (1:1) and 3:4 for vertical shots.
"The camera is an instrument of detection. We photograph not only what we know, but also what we don’t know" Lisette Model
These are (apparently) my most interesting pictures. I like Darckr's presentation of my pix.
Comments are welcome. If you have a similar shot of the same subject, please feel free to include a thumbnail of your image - no bigger than 100 pixels. It's interesting to compare photos from different people.
Thanks to the DC Photo Rights group for bringing attention to a serious issue.
Visit my blog at www.mvjantzen.com/blog/.
Contact me at mvs202 [at] gmail.com.
- 2018 Smithsonian Folklife Festival 1,746 photos, 29 members
- Railfan Atlas 193,456 photos, 981 members
- 2017 Smithsonian Folklife Festival 629 photos, 28 members
- SurviveDC 2013 0 photos, 3 members
- Charm City Circulator 5 photos, 7 members
- Rock Ledge Ranch 181 photos, 27 members
- DC No Pants Metro 2013 96 photos, 15 members
- santarchydc 4,787 photos, 73 members
- Mobility Halloween 22 photos, 3 members
- Water Polo 4,563 photos, 651 members
- Critical Mass 5,700 photos, 826 members
- Benevolent Media: "Reflections" Photography for Clean Water 83 photos, 24 members
- beach lovers. . . 375,122 photos, 26,268 members
- Beaches 219,778 photos, 13,357 members
- The United States Botanical Garden, DC 1,088 photos, 100 members
- FDR Memorial 129 photos, 18 members
- BicycleSPACE: Full Moon Outings 184 photos, 15 members
- Friends of the High Line 25,116 photos, 2,372 members
- WABA Event Photos 518 photos, 26 members
- Occupy DC 4,366 photos, 129 members
- DC High Heel Race 919 photos, 103 members
- Capitol Riverfront, DC 927 photos, 35 members
- Flickr API 773 photos, 18,559 members
- PHP 1,927 photos, 360 members
- Baltimore Rock Opera Society 788 photos, 37 members
- Bike Trails 44 photos, 11 members
- New York City Subways 2,552 photos, 604 members
- Fairfax Alliance for Better Bicycling 306 photos, 32 members
- Nikon Digital 3,983,886 photos, 111,278 members
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden 725 photos, 99 members
- Light Junkies 115,555 photos, 19,274 members
- McDonald's Storefronts 16,834 photos, 1,229 members
- Capitol Hill 3,173 photos, 296 members
- Rain 46,748 photos, 9,938 members
- Firehouses 9,376 photos, 609 members
- dogs 42,961 photos, 1,619 members
- Chesapeake and Ohio Canal 3,411 photos, 147 members
- Bethesda, Maryland 805 photos, 52 members
- Graffitti 16,948 photos, 775 members
- NoMA - Washington, DC 758 photos, 53 members
- U.S. National Parks 223,638 photos, 19,883 members
- Georgetown - Washington, D.C. 4,251 photos, 358 members
- Downtown 69,799 photos, 2,328 members
- Orange Mania 7,925 photos, 872 members
- Fairfax County 6,057 photos, 588 members
- Columbia Heights, DC 2,611 photos, 233 members
- BloomingdaleDC 820 photos, 77 members
- US National Historic Landmarks 16,028 photos, 705 members
- umbrella 14,352 photos, 3,630 members
- Pink 60,717 photos, 5,559 members
Life Potentialist says:
"M.V. Jantzen is an amazing individual who can often be spotted helping the elderly and feeding stray cats in his neighborhood by the Potomac River. And his photographs are often quite stunning. I only wish he would take his camera with him when he is doing his morning five mile row along the Anacostia with the sun reflecting on his back as the sweat beads down his muscled torso and his long golden hair damp with dew and mist flutters gently in the morning breeze."
March 24th, 2009
"M.V. Jantzen will outshoot you any day of the week! 14K and counting!"
April 7th, 2009
- M.V. Jantzen
- September 2005
- Washington, DC, USA
- I am:
- Mystery Incorporated