Welcome to Miami U. Libraries - Digital Collections
Our goal is to preserve and provide easy access to the Miami University Libraries' unique and special collections to support student and faculty research both at Miami University and elsewhere.
Why our images on flickr? -good question!
1. is designed for images -we got image collections
2. is popular -gets millions of hits every day
3. is dynamic -supports tagging and sharing
About the Victorian Trade Cards
The Charles and Laura Dohm Shields Trade Card Collection is housed in the Walter Havighurst Special Collections Library at Miami University. Donated in 1987 by Charles Dohm Shields the collection contains several thousand advertising trade cards dating from the late 19th and early 20th Century. The collection was started by Charles's mother Laura Dohm Shields.
Trade Cards were typically used to advertise products and services including such items as patent medicines, thread, sewing machines, food and beverages, farm equipment and others. Trade cards reached the height of their popularity during the 1880's and 1890's.
Reduced postal rates and the rise of magazine publishing led to the eventual decline in popularity of this unique American form of advertising.
Visit and explore our digital collections at: digital.lib.muohio.edu
Take a look at our super cool Tumblr account!
...thanks and happy tagging!
- Flickr Commons 2,276 photos, 2,110 members
- Manuscript Journeys 655 photos, 66 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,648 photos, 474 members
- Book of Hours 329 photos, 18 members
- Nautical...not naughty...but nice! 3,741 photos, 188 members
- CPSIA Endangered Books 875 photos, 319 members
- One Of A Kind 723,024 photos, 21,099 members
Miami U. Libraries - Digital Collections doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Miami University Libraries - Digital Collections
- October 2008