to be alerted to my new Flickr uploads.
Some of my photos on Flickr are available on Getty Images for rights managed licensing. Here's my Flickr set showing all images asked to be submitted to Getty Images. Here are the images currently available on the Getty website.
Licensing / Photo Usage:
All of my photographs are copyright © Marc Shandro, All Rights Reserved. Please contact me first if you are interested in using any of my photographs for any purpose. More details here:
Marc Shandro Photography
I donate about 25% of all my photo sales to Kiva (www.kiva.org) which is an amazing micro-finance organization. So if you license one of my photos, you're making a donation to Kiva too!
From the kiva website: "It's a non-profit that allows you to lend as little as $25 to a specific low-income entrepreneur across the globe. You choose who to lend to - whether a baker in Afghanistan, a goat herder in Uganda, a farmer in Peru, a restaurateur in Cambodia, or a tailor in Iraq - and as they repay their loan, you get your money back. It's a powerful and sustainable way to empower someone right now to lift themselves out of poverty."
You can see all the people around the world that I have given loans on my Kiva profile here: www.kiva.org/lender/marc4334
I urge you to get involved!
Photography is an endlessly engaging and enriching endeavor. There is a lot to learn and so many accomplished people in this field to learn from. I enjoy the process of self-discovery and from the beginning of this pursuit, I’ve reminded myself to lean toward my heart and instinct as part of the learning process. My primary objective in all of this is to find places that fill me with wonder. It doesn’t matter if they are easy or hard to get to, popular or not, the important part is to open my senses to the moment. Sometimes it requires hiking an hour or two before dawn to see the sun rise in a magical spot. Getting the photograph is important too, but somewhat secondary to just enjoying where I am. My thinking is that if I focus too much on “getting the shot”, I miss the experience – it’s a delicate balance.
I want my portfolio to reveal the many faces of the wilderness, conveying the enduring and sometimes fleeting beauty, wonder and magic in the world. I appreciate the environments and places I explore and I want to show that they are worth respecting and honoring.
Aligning with my interests in nature and landscape photography, I joined the staff at *ABW* Gallery. It's a beautiful gallery showcasing tremendous photographs from hundreds of very talented photographers here on Flickr. Check it out!
A Bit of My Background:
My career as a software developer and later as a software development manager has been a fortunate one. In 1990 I had the opportunity to become one of three founders of a little company in Calgary to build an oil & gas exploration software package called AccuMap. The success of that product took off in 1993 and the product is still being used by many professionals today in the Calgary oil patch. In 2006 that journey came to an end and a new one began to unfold. Since then I’ve had more good fortune to pursue my love of travel and photography exclusively.
Quotes that I like:
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not". - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas
"F8 and be there." - Allen Hopkins
"A photographers work is given shape and style by his personal vision. It is not simply technique, but the way he looks at life and the world around him." - Pete Turner
"The best zoom lens is your legs." - Ernst Haas
"In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." - Ansel Adams
"Seeing, in the finest and broadest sense, means using your senses, your intellect, and your emotions. It means encountering your subject matter with your whole being. It means looking beyond the labels of things and discovering the remarkable world around you." - Freeman Patterson
Why [do people] take delight in the landscapes? Because the din of the dusty world and the locked-in-ness of human habitations are what human nature habitually abhors; while on the contrary, haze, mist, and the haunting spirits of the mountains are what human nature seeks, and yet can rarely find. - Guo Xi
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain
- for all the kind comments from so many interesting people around the Flickr world. There are incredibly talented photographers out there and it's fun to be a part of this global community of over 51 million registered members and 81 million visitors worldwide.
- to my wonderful kids for being who they are and enjoying adventures together with dad.
- to my partner Debbie who shares passions for the special wilderness places in the world and traveling together to experience them.
This is my hand picked set of my favorite images. Click on any thumbnail to see the whole set on black.
This set of 500 is automatically generated based on Flickr's mysterious "interestingness" algorithm.
- Naturalight 26,496 photos, 1,505 members
- Absolute Quality Gallery ~ Invite only 739 photos, 1,274 members
- Calgary 2013 Flood YYCFlood 1,266 photos, 137 members
- Stereophotography 56,087 photos, 2,517 members
- Anaglyphic 3D 11,928 photos, 232 members
- Anaglyph (Red-Cyan 3D Pictures) 75,913 photos, 3,700 members
- Área pública de lazer - Public Leisure Area 3,644 photos, 366 members
- 3D GRUPPO ANAGLIFICO - !! Window violations admitted !! 31,408 photos, 617 members
- ANAGLYPHS 15,568 photos, 254 members
- anaglyph 2,455 photos, 109 members
- 3D 22,559 photos, 373 members
- 100 Famous Mountains of Canada 947 photos, 99 members
- The book cover club 445 photos, 125 members
- Time Lapse Videos 8,649 photos, 3,934 members
- Timelapse Videos 8,028 photos, 3,941 members
- flickr Stock Artists 1,919 photos, 104 members
- MEC photo submissions 5,815 photos, 893 members
- Nikon D300 Users 565,125 photos, 17,391 members
- The Best Photo You've Ever Taken 320 photos, 616 members
- Galen Rowell Tribute 3,004 photos, 236 members
- THE ARTISTS Club 37,792 photos, 1,600 members
- panoramas 421,160 photos, 54,289 members
- Landscape Exhibition 32,328 photos, 14,739 members
- Colors of Nature (no Black & White, no monochrome) 74,553 photos, 2,722 members
- WorldLandscapes 352,780 photos, 11,276 members
- The Best: BRAVO (INVITED images only) 61,097 photos, 7,539 members
- Zen Enlightenment 96,581 photos, 6,658 members
- Nature & Landscapes 161,915 photos, 6,800 members
- The Nature Conservancy 909,366 photos, 40,218 members
- Luminous Landscapes 8,592 photos, 1,561 members
- Night Images 1,114,495 photos, 150,268 members
- CityScape 723,511 photos, 24,518 members
- Birds Photos 2,001,517 photos, 70,363 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 24,914 photos, 2,548 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES ONLY !! 83,138 photos, 8,865 members
- *Flickr Photo Award* 244,974 photos, 9,946 members
- 1-2-3 Mountains 7,327 photos, 407 members
- 1-2-3 KIDS (1 a Day) 83,139 photos, 6,573 members
- Adobe Lightroom 31,413 photos, 25,456 members
- Beautiful Capture 3,908,723 photos, 105,927 members
- Laughing Matters Photos & Videos---P1/C1 Sweeper not running 674 photos, 1,372 members
- Nature Watching (Post 1 : Award 2) 224,468 photos, 13,320 members
- Threatened Species (Wild & Red listed) 4,407 photos, 533 members
- **FlickrsBest** 146,826 photos, 15,952 members
- Presetting Lightroom 86,586 photos, 13,371 members
- Natural PATTERNS, Shapes, and Textures (moderated) 32,653 photos, 3,530 members
- Flickr Diamond - Invited Photos ONLY 114,607 photos, 21,712 members
- Natural Landscapes 18,309 photos, 4,232 members
- The Essence of Capture Nature / Selected photos only 481 photos, 206 members
- Nature Abstracted 12,012 photos, 2,966 members
"In a previous lifetime Marc might’ve been a migratory bird. Now he’s an inveterate scout, a globalist. His omnivorous passion for travel has taken him all over North America, through Alaska, South America, Europe and India, with missionary zeal to share his undying sense of wonder from the wilderness wherever he goes. He came back from South America in August 2007 with 11,000 pictures, a thousand from Machu Picchu alone, elated as a child at show-and-tell. Photographs by Marc Shandro are honest & straightforward ~~ which is becoming rare these days ~~ and often brilliant & impeccable from a fiercely discerning eye and unquenchable thirst for technical & compositional excellence. He’s a completist as well, frequently furnishing maps, links and informative notes for his growing trove of pictures. This man is a fountainhead on Flickr, deeply devoted to honoring natural splendors of the world, and his stream runneth over with visual elixirs."
January 28th, 2008
"Here is a testimonial from Marc's Mother,
Because I can only write glowing praise of my son's curious mind, adventuresome spirit, and endless patience as he digitally captures what his eye for beauty beholds, I don't think a testimonial from me is very valid, so I am not going to write one. :)"
July 1st, 2006
- Marc Shandro
- August 2005
- Calgary, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Life Maestro