to be alerted to my new Flickr uploads.
Some of my photos on Flickr are available on Getty Images for rights managed licensing. Here's my Flickr set showing all images asked to be submitted to Getty Images. Here are the images currently available on the Getty website.
Licensing / Photo Usage:
All of my photographs are copyright © Marc Shandro, All Rights Reserved. Please contact me first if you are interested in using any of my photographs for any purpose. More details here:
Marc Shandro Photography
I donate about 25% of all my photo sales to Kiva (www.kiva.org) which is an amazing micro-finance organization. So if you license one of my photos, you're making a donation to Kiva too!
From the kiva website: "It's a non-profit that allows you to lend as little as $25 to a specific low-income entrepreneur across the globe. You choose who to lend to - whether a baker in Afghanistan, a goat herder in Uganda, a farmer in Peru, a restaurateur in Cambodia, or a tailor in Iraq - and as they repay their loan, you get your money back. It's a powerful and sustainable way to empower someone right now to lift themselves out of poverty."
You can see all the people around the world that I have given loans on my Kiva profile here: www.kiva.org/lender/marc4334
I urge you to get involved!
Photography is an endlessly engaging and enriching endeavor. There is a lot to learn and so many accomplished people in this field to learn from. I enjoy the process of self-discovery and from the beginning of this pursuit, I’ve reminded myself to lean toward my heart and instinct as part of the learning process. My primary objective in all of this is to find places that fill me with wonder. It doesn’t matter if they are easy or hard to get to, popular or not, the important part is to open my senses to the moment. Sometimes it requires hiking an hour or two before dawn to see the sun rise in a magical spot. Getting the photograph is important too, but somewhat secondary to just enjoying where I am. My thinking is that if I focus too much on “getting the shot”, I miss the experience – it’s a delicate balance.
I want my portfolio to reveal the many faces of the wilderness, conveying the enduring and sometimes fleeting beauty, wonder and magic in the world. I appreciate the environments and places I explore and I want to show that they are worth respecting and honoring.
Aligning with my interests in nature and landscape photography, I joined the staff at *ABW* Gallery. It's a beautiful gallery showcasing tremendous photographs from hundreds of very talented photographers here on Flickr. Check it out!
A Bit of My Background:
My career as a software developer and later as a software development manager has been a fortunate one. In 1990 I had the opportunity to become one of three founders of a little company in Calgary to build an oil & gas exploration software package called AccuMap. The success of that product took off in 1993 and the product is still being used by many professionals today in the Calgary oil patch. In 2006 that journey came to an end and a new one began to unfold. Since then I’ve had more good fortune to pursue my love of travel and photography exclusively.
Quotes that I like:
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not". - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas
"F8 and be there." - Allen Hopkins
"A photographers work is given shape and style by his personal vision. It is not simply technique, but the way he looks at life and the world around him." - Pete Turner
"The best zoom lens is your legs." - Ernst Haas
"In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." - Ansel Adams
"Seeing, in the finest and broadest sense, means using your senses, your intellect, and your emotions. It means encountering your subject matter with your whole being. It means looking beyond the labels of things and discovering the remarkable world around you." - Freeman Patterson
Why [do people] take delight in the landscapes? Because the din of the dusty world and the locked-in-ness of human habitations are what human nature habitually abhors; while on the contrary, haze, mist, and the haunting spirits of the mountains are what human nature seeks, and yet can rarely find. - Guo Xi
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain
- for all the kind comments from so many interesting people around the Flickr world. There are incredibly talented photographers out there and it's fun to be a part of this global community of over 51 million registered members and 81 million visitors worldwide.
- to my wonderful kids for being who they are and enjoying adventures together with dad.
- to my partner Debbie who shares passions for the special wilderness places in the world and traveling together to experience them.
This is my hand picked set of my favorite images. Click on any thumbnail to see the whole set on black.
This set of 500 is automatically generated based on Flickr's mysterious "interestingness" algorithm.
- Absolute Quality Gallery ~ Invite only 684 photos, 1,136 members
- Calgary 2013 Flood YYCFlood 1,326 photos, 137 members
- Stereophotography 52,126 photos, 2,456 members
- Anaglyphic 3D 10,456 photos, 213 members
- Anaglyph (Red-Cyan 3D Pictures) 71,384 photos, 3,592 members
- Área pública de lazer - Public Leisure Area 2,705 photos, 360 members
- 3D GRUPPO ANAGLIFICO - !! Window violations admitted !! 29,697 photos, 598 members
- ANAGLYPHS 13,447 photos, 229 members
- anaglyph 1,660 photos, 101 members
- 3D 23,734 photos, 357 members
- 100 Famous Mountains of Canada 845 photos, 95 members
- The book cover club 363 photos, 114 members
- Time Lapse Videos 7,664 photos, 3,567 members
- Timelapse Videos 7,211 photos, 3,617 members
- flickr Stock Artists 1,511 photos, 105 members
- MEC photo submissions 5,544 photos, 886 members
- Nikon D300 Users 552,011 photos, 17,223 members
- The Best Photo You've Ever Taken 323 photos, 628 members
- Galen Rowell Tribute 2,969 photos, 239 members
- THE ARTISTS Club 28,666 photos, 1,442 members
- panoramas 327,027 photos, 44,047 members
- Landscape Exhibition 28,671 photos, 11,136 members
- Colors of Nature (NO B&W): contest = PURPLE 65,852 photos, 2,593 members
- WorldLandscapes 278,130 photos, 9,578 members
- The Best: BRAVO (INVITED images only) 61,290 photos, 7,569 members
- Zen Enlightenment (closed) 94,184 photos, 6,441 members
- Nature & Landscapes 130,490 photos, 5,973 members
- The Nature Conservancy 750,731 photos, 37,919 members
- Luminous Landscapes 8,667 photos, 1,488 members
- Night Images 1,024,815 photos, 135,140 members
- CityScape 619,813 photos, 22,026 members
- Birds Photos 1,615,771 photos, 60,949 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 16,976 photos, 2,302 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES ONLY !! 75,812 photos, 8,534 members
- *Flickr Photo Award* 194,822 photos, 8,799 members
- 1-2-3 Mountains 6,142 photos, 359 members
- 1-2-3 KIDS (1 a Day) 80,776 photos, 6,351 members
- Adobe Lightroom 27,161 photos, 24,125 members
- Beautiful Capture 3,150,163 photos, 94,690 members
- Laughing Matters Photos & Videos---P1/C1 Sweeper not running 691 photos, 1,381 members
- Nature Watching (Post 1 : Award 2) 210,090 photos, 13,041 members
- Threatened Species (Wild & Red listed) 3,753 photos, 513 members
- **FlickrsBest** 115,699 photos, 15,174 members
- Presetting Lightroom 67,820 photos, 12,502 members
- Natural PATTERNS, Shapes, and Textures (moderated) 29,376 photos, 3,361 members
- Flickr Diamond - Invited Photos ONLY 114,743 photos, 21,660 members
- Natural Landscapes 17,946 photos, 3,778 members
- The Essence of Capture Nature / Selected photos only 450 photos, 201 members
- Nature Abstracted 10,731 photos, 2,909 members
- A natural landscapes photo group (please read the rules) 148,396 photos, 10,225 members
"In a previous lifetime Marc might’ve been a migratory bird. Now he’s an inveterate scout, a globalist. His omnivorous passion for travel has taken him all over North America, through Alaska, South America, Europe and India, with missionary zeal to share his undying sense of wonder from the wilderness wherever he goes. He came back from South America in August 2007 with 11,000 pictures, a thousand from Machu Picchu alone, elated as a child at show-and-tell. Photographs by Marc Shandro are honest & straightforward ~~ which is becoming rare these days ~~ and often brilliant & impeccable from a fiercely discerning eye and unquenchable thirst for technical & compositional excellence. He’s a completist as well, frequently furnishing maps, links and informative notes for his growing trove of pictures. This man is a fountainhead on Flickr, deeply devoted to honoring natural splendors of the world, and his stream runneth over with visual elixirs."
January 28th, 2008
"Here is a testimonial from Marc's Mother,
Because I can only write glowing praise of my son's curious mind, adventuresome spirit, and endless patience as he digitally captures what his eye for beauty beholds, I don't think a testimonial from me is very valid, so I am not going to write one. :)"
July 1st, 2006
- Marc Shandro
- August 2005
- Calgary, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Life Maestro