to be alerted to my new Flickr uploads.
Some of my photos on Flickr are available on Getty Images for rights managed licensing. Here's my Flickr set showing all images asked to be submitted to Getty Images. Here are the images currently available on the Getty website.
Licensing / Photo Usage:
All of my photographs are copyright © Marc Shandro, All Rights Reserved. Please contact me first if you are interested in using any of my photographs for any purpose. More details here:
Marc Shandro Photography
I donate about 25% of all my photo sales to Kiva (www.kiva.org) which is an amazing micro-finance organization. So if you license one of my photos, you're making a donation to Kiva too!
From the kiva website: "It's a non-profit that allows you to lend as little as $25 to a specific low-income entrepreneur across the globe. You choose who to lend to - whether a baker in Afghanistan, a goat herder in Uganda, a farmer in Peru, a restaurateur in Cambodia, or a tailor in Iraq - and as they repay their loan, you get your money back. It's a powerful and sustainable way to empower someone right now to lift themselves out of poverty."
You can see all the people around the world that I have given loans on my Kiva profile here: www.kiva.org/lender/marc4334
I urge you to get involved!
Photography is an endlessly engaging and enriching endeavor. There is a lot to learn and so many accomplished people in this field to learn from. I enjoy the process of self-discovery and from the beginning of this pursuit, I’ve reminded myself to lean toward my heart and instinct as part of the learning process. My primary objective in all of this is to find places that fill me with wonder. It doesn’t matter if they are easy or hard to get to, popular or not, the important part is to open my senses to the moment. Sometimes it requires hiking an hour or two before dawn to see the sun rise in a magical spot. Getting the photograph is important too, but somewhat secondary to just enjoying where I am. My thinking is that if I focus too much on “getting the shot”, I miss the experience – it’s a delicate balance.
I want my portfolio to reveal the many faces of the wilderness, conveying the enduring and sometimes fleeting beauty, wonder and magic in the world. I appreciate the environments and places I explore and I want to show that they are worth respecting and honoring.
Aligning with my interests in nature and landscape photography, I joined the staff at *ABW* Gallery. It's a beautiful gallery showcasing tremendous photographs from hundreds of very talented photographers here on Flickr. Check it out!
A Bit of My Background:
My career as a software developer and later as a software development manager has been a fortunate one. In 1990 I had the opportunity to become one of three founders of a little company in Calgary to build an oil & gas exploration software package called AccuMap. The success of that product took off in 1993 and the product is still being used by many professionals today in the Calgary oil patch. In 2006 that journey came to an end and a new one began to unfold. Since then I’ve had more good fortune to pursue my love of travel and photography exclusively.
Quotes that I like:
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful,
we must carry it with us or we find it not". - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas
"F8 and be there." - Allen Hopkins
"A photographers work is given shape and style by his personal vision. It is not simply technique, but the way he looks at life and the world around him." - Pete Turner
"The best zoom lens is your legs." - Ernst Haas
"In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration." - Ansel Adams
"Seeing, in the finest and broadest sense, means using your senses, your intellect, and your emotions. It means encountering your subject matter with your whole being. It means looking beyond the labels of things and discovering the remarkable world around you." - Freeman Patterson
Why [do people] take delight in the landscapes? Because the din of the dusty world and the locked-in-ness of human habitations are what human nature habitually abhors; while on the contrary, haze, mist, and the haunting spirits of the mountains are what human nature seeks, and yet can rarely find. - Guo Xi
"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain
- for all the kind comments from so many interesting people around the Flickr world. There are incredibly talented photographers out there and it's fun to be a part of this global community of over 51 million registered members and 81 million visitors worldwide.
- to my wonderful kids for being who they are and enjoying adventures together with dad.
- to my partner Debbie who shares passions for the special wilderness places in the world and traveling together to experience them.
This is my hand picked set of my favorite images. Click on any thumbnail to see the whole set on black.
This set of 500 is automatically generated based on Flickr's mysterious "interestingness" algorithm.
- Naturalight 26,222 photos, 1,514 members
- Absolute Quality Gallery ~ Invite only 706 photos, 1,178 members
- Calgary 2013 Flood YYCFlood 1,259 photos, 137 members
- Stereophotography 53,493 photos, 2,479 members
- Anaglyphic 3D 10,515 photos, 218 members
- Anaglyph (Red-Cyan 3D Pictures) 73,205 photos, 3,636 members
- Área pública de lazer - Public Leisure Area 3,055 photos, 367 members
- 3D GRUPPO ANAGLIFICO - !! Window violations admitted !! 30,323 photos, 607 members
- ANAGLYPHS 13,791 photos, 237 members
- anaglyph 1,931 photos, 103 members
- 3D 24,284 photos, 365 members
- 100 Famous Mountains of Canada 882 photos, 95 members
- The book cover club 386 photos, 115 members
- Time Lapse Videos 7,969 photos, 3,703 members
- Timelapse Videos 7,452 photos, 3,734 members
- flickr Stock Artists 1,718 photos, 105 members
- MEC photo submissions 5,627 photos, 888 members
- Nikon D300 Users 557,439 photos, 17,276 members
- The Best Photo You've Ever Taken 323 photos, 623 members
- Galen Rowell Tribute 2,975 photos, 238 members
- THE ARTISTS Club 31,848 photos, 1,518 members
- panoramas 354,597 photos, 48,192 members
- Landscape Exhibition 29,925 photos, 12,271 members
- Colors of Nature (NO B&W): contest = CAMOUFLAGE 70,698 photos, 2,654 members
- WorldLandscapes 302,719 photos, 10,144 members
- The Best: BRAVO (INVITED images only) 60,898 photos, 7,557 members
- Zen Enlightenment -re-OPEN 94,481 photos, 6,466 members
- Nature & Landscapes 141,298 photos, 6,247 members
- The Nature Conservancy 809,909 photos, 38,872 members
- Luminous Landscapes 8,684 photos, 1,515 members
- Night Images 1,055,064 photos, 140,856 members
- CityScape 658,271 photos, 23,028 members
- Birds Photos 1,775,847 photos, 64,908 members
- Bird Perfect (Moderated) 20,008 photos, 2,435 members
- Excellence In Avian Photography (EIAP) -- INVITED IMAGES ONLY !! 77,865 photos, 8,623 members
- *Flickr Photo Award* 209,550 photos, 9,153 members
- 1-2-3 Mountains 6,452 photos, 372 members
- 1-2-3 KIDS (1 a Day) 82,424 photos, 6,443 members
- Adobe Lightroom 28,710 photos, 24,593 members
- Beautiful Capture 3,412,618 photos, 98,716 members
- Laughing Matters Photos & Videos---P1/C1 Sweeper not running 686 photos, 1,378 members
- Nature Watching (Post 1 : Award 2) 215,447 photos, 13,110 members
- Threatened Species (Wild & Red listed) 3,912 photos, 522 members
- **FlickrsBest** 122,700 photos, 15,443 members
- Presetting Lightroom 74,439 photos, 12,805 members
- Natural PATTERNS, Shapes, and Textures (moderated) 30,899 photos, 3,440 members
- Flickr Diamond - Invited Photos ONLY 114,510 photos, 21,578 members
- Natural Landscapes 18,172 photos, 3,928 members
- The Essence of Capture Nature / Selected photos only 463 photos, 204 members
- Nature Abstracted 11,120 photos, 2,929 members
"In a previous lifetime Marc might’ve been a migratory bird. Now he’s an inveterate scout, a globalist. His omnivorous passion for travel has taken him all over North America, through Alaska, South America, Europe and India, with missionary zeal to share his undying sense of wonder from the wilderness wherever he goes. He came back from South America in August 2007 with 11,000 pictures, a thousand from Machu Picchu alone, elated as a child at show-and-tell. Photographs by Marc Shandro are honest & straightforward ~~ which is becoming rare these days ~~ and often brilliant & impeccable from a fiercely discerning eye and unquenchable thirst for technical & compositional excellence. He’s a completist as well, frequently furnishing maps, links and informative notes for his growing trove of pictures. This man is a fountainhead on Flickr, deeply devoted to honoring natural splendors of the world, and his stream runneth over with visual elixirs."
January 28th, 2008
"Here is a testimonial from Marc's Mother,
Because I can only write glowing praise of my son's curious mind, adventuresome spirit, and endless patience as he digitally captures what his eye for beauty beholds, I don't think a testimonial from me is very valid, so I am not going to write one. :)"
July 1st, 2006
- Marc Shandro
- August 2005
- Calgary, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Life Maestro