I see fiber as a basic common thread throughout the organic world.
I am a sculptor that has discovered the world of fiber several years ago. I am completely obsessed with the fiber medium and I am currently using it for both sculpture, installation work and utilitarian design.
All of my work is made from various animal and plant fibers from sustainable sources. I source all of my fiber from shepherds primarily in the United States and also Europe. Everything here is a direct link to the natural world.
I work primarily with wool fibers and various felt techniques. Felt offers an extraordinary range from two dimensional design to sculptural forms for both interiors and personal ornament.
No other material is as versatile. Felt is utilitarian, decorative, and completely renewable.
The appeal of felt is its connection to the earth and to the living animals that they come from. To touch felt is to feel centuries of historic tradition, to feel an organic thing that lives in harmony with the earth and with the people that nurture it.
Felt is in touch with the past yet remains innovative and is open to reinterpretation.
I am working currently in three different series using felt. One, a series, that uses hand wet felting to make throws and vessels, another series combining felt and fiber with metal and also experiments with die cutting.
Photos of Modern Fiber Lab - Sonya Yong James (11)
- Embroidery 87,596 photos, 8,566 members
- knithacker 24,896 photos, 1,745 members
- The Artist Studio-Working in the Studio 6,147 photos, 1,225 members
- fungi 103,622 photos, 8,644 members
- Mushrooms and Fungi 75,666 photos, 4,278 members
- Mushrooms 110,776 photos, 9,955 members
- Natural dyeing 2,789 photos, 361 members
- difference & repetition 7,447 photos, 766 members
- Fine Art Textiles 272 photos, 28 members
- *String, Cordage, Binding, Bundles, Braiding & Wrapping 1,216 photos, 189 members
- * Basket 3,458 photos, 438 members
- slow cloth 471 photos, 111 members
- For the Love of Pom Poms . . . 394 photos, 91 members
- Experimental Textiles 2,836 photos, 190 members
- Sculpture (original work only) 38,158 photos, 2,835 members
- stitchalicious 1,308 photos, 98 members
- Mixed Media Embroidery Gallery 4,713 photos, 480 members
- Hand Embroidery Community 19,758 photos, 1,410 members
- Textile Art & Design 2,328 photos, 168 members
- textile sculpture 3,521 photos, 347 members
- Sculpture 252,588 photos, 11,564 members
- There's joy in repetition 9,368 photos, 605 members
- Moss and Lichen 27,942 photos, 3,209 members
- Textiles 12,276 photos, 2,045 members
- dimensional textiles 1,303 photos, 101 members
- Jewelry, Ornaments & Textiles 83,243 photos, 6,063 members
- papernstitch 13,799 photos, 1,423 members
- Fiber and Textile 33,907 photos, 1,572 members
- Etsy Open Studios 4,993 photos, 3,196 members
- Bird Nests 7,650 photos, 833 members
- Artist's Houses and Gardens 8,633 photos, 424 members
- Felt Jewelry 2,968 photos, 309 members
- fiber love! 8,557 photos, 367 members
- Etsy Artists 146,010 photos, 6,412 members
- Natural Fiber Art 4,681 photos, 285 members
- Contemporary Textile Art 10,582 photos, 642 members
- Fiber Art/Mixed Media Art 5,894 photos, 396 members
- Fibre Art 26,536 photos, 1,280 members
- Felt! 22,797 photos, 1,558 members
- *FELT & FELT* 26,389 photos, 1,531 members
- Felt / Filz 44,090 photos, 3,057 members
- Sheep 37,562 photos, 6,862 members
Modern Fiber Lab - Sonya Yong James doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Sonya Yong James
- May 2007
- Atlanta, USA