“One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind.”
MilkaWay is dedicated to my parents...who passed on to me their passion for travel and photography.
Specializing in America mainly, the South especially and Georgia in particular.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Do NOT use or link my photos without my permission. Please contact me at email@example.com if you are interested in any of my work but please note that given the time and money that goes into what I do and the high number of requests I receive, I don't always grant usage of my photos without some form of compensation.
For those wishing to purchase prints, please visit My SmugMug Page.
I see the world through:
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 28 mm/f2.8
Nikon D200 w/Nikkor 16-85 mm AF
Nikon F100 w/Nikkor 28 mm/2.8f AF
Nikon D40 w/Nikkor 50 mm/f1.8 AF
Nikon D80 w/Nikkor 18-70 mm AF
Nikon N75 w/Nikkor 28 mm/2.8f AF
Nikon FE10 w/Nikkor 35-70 mm
Chinon CEII Memotron
Final touches provided by:
Nikon Capture NX
- the REAL South Carolina 2,951 photos, 151 members
- Cafes, Coffee Houses, Burger Joints, Food Carts. 102,088 photos, 4,891 members
- Georgia Railfans 3,516 photos, 96 members
- Atlanta Urban Landscape Photography 2,166 photos, 197 members
- Atlanta Fulton County Zoo/ZooAtlanta 8,586 photos, 369 members
- Atlanta 53,408 photos, 4,054 members
- Southern Views 19,846 photos, 291 members
- Murals and Mosaics 80,324 photos, 4,210 members
- Southern Signs 2,848 photos, 98 members
- Silent Decay USA: South-East 6,363 photos, 314 members
- South Carolina Country Stores and Gas Stations 131 photos, 49 members
- Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 14,308 photos, 1,470 members
- Nikkor 20-35 f/2.8 2,926 photos, 521 members
- Roadside Crosses and Memorials 2,480 photos, 189 members
- HONDA :: The Power of Photos 38,704 photos, 3,217 members
- HondaCRV 341 photos, 101 members
- Honda Owners 7,266 photos, 725 members
- Hadamar 58 photos, 8 members
- Junk Yards 2,612 photos, 110 members
- VOLVO 140/240 SERIES GROUP 5,507 photos, 308 members
- Photos of Volvos 10,245 photos, 149 members
- White Volvos 1,459 photos, 50 members
- Composition 67,127 photos, 1,485 members
- Explore Georgia 20,602 photos, 421 members
- Flickr for iPhone 144,914 photos, 6,813 members
- Chinese Restaurant Worldwide Documentation Project 28,769 photos, 1,208 members
- Orange and Blue 60,108 photos, 17,362 members
- VW's All Types 23,690 photos, 723 members
- Swimming Pools – Around the world 8,008 photos, 1,805 members
- Empty Swimming Pool (no people!) 4,218 photos, 1,272 members
- WPA 1,266 photos, 250 members
- Construction and deconstruction 21,271 photos, 865 members
- Artistic and creative dog shots! 62,353 photos, 4,524 members
- Nikon D700 347,672 photos, 16,083 members
- NIKKON D700 users 102,129 photos, 2,859 members
- Columbia, SC 7,630 photos, 367 members
- Murals, Mosaics and Street Art Project 15,001 photos, 722 members
- Cano Cafenol 307 photos, 33 members
- The Best Of Ships And Boats 106,561 photos, 2,562 members
- Dogs photographed with your iPhone 687 photos, 84 members
- Dogs In The Landscape 9,393 photos, 1,003 members
- Instagram USA 23,714 photos, 1,276 members
- iPhonography - the iphone photography group 1,092 photos, 48 members
- Georgia and Carolina Nature Shots 10,429 photos, 165 members
- Iphonography and the automobile 1,604 photos, 161 members
- Ina's 1969 Film 1,373 photos, 155 members
- Hipstamatic 311,721 photos, 16,271 members
- Adventurous Canines 6,841 photos, 244 members
- Flickr echoes 5,167 photos, 146 members
- Aperture Users 443,204 photos, 11,742 members
""You just got to see it"
I discovered Dagmars Photostream when I first joined Flickr. I have always and continue to be been inspired by the way she captures light. The amazing Milkaway sky and rich colors are my favorite. Thanks for the tips and inspiration!"
December 24th, 2009
Jerzy Durczak says:
"Dagmar is a supreme photographer and a great American Studies photo specialist. Few people told me more about the South than she did. Her photos are the equivalent of alt.country in music. The State of Georgia should make her an honorary Georgian. It'd be a shame to insist that she pays her state tax.... Hats off!"
January 25th, 2008
J.R. Ball says:
"Dagmar captures the abandon loneliness and rural decay of Americana in a way that is both fantastic and poignant. Her compositions are windows to a bygone era--perfectly crafted snapshots of the past that refuse to lose their relevance in spite of society's disregard. She gives a soul to the collective memory that is our history. She is not to be overlooked."
December 31st, 2007
clear bucket says:
"With an incomparable eye for composition, and an uncanny sense for that perfect tone, a visit to Dagmar's photostream is always a treat. It seems as though every day she is off on an adventure in her Volvo, accompanied by her American Bulldog (the BEST breed of dog). Even better than viewing her photos, is reading the information that she has collected about each one. Every photo is a page in a storybook called "Georgia"."
December 3rd, 2007
"Dagmar is my techincal hero. The way she uses color and light have me convinced that she actually controls the sun :)
Her documentation of rural Georgia is beautiful and inspiring.....I have never seen the state look so beautiful"
October 22nd, 2007
"You can search far and wide, but I doubt that you will find anyone with the commitment and passion of Dagmar. She is an outstanding historian, and her site serves as an amazing visual documentary. Underneath it all, she is a brilliant photographer with a genuine love of her craft. As a Southerner, I find her work compelling and heartwarming. Spend some time and immerse yourself in what she has compiled here. Through her eyes, you will see an honest representation of a grand heritage, and you will discover why we should make every effort to preserve what remains."
October 19th, 2007
"MilkaWay has one of the most facinating sites on Flickr. What a treasure trove of images from rural Georgia. I look foward to seeing all her daily postings and envy the photo oppurtunities she has available. Cool stuff here."
July 21st, 2007
scarce achiever says:
"Dagmar's work is phenomenal. I truly admire her 'eye' for photography.. and I wish I could fave every single photo she has here on Flickr... lol She truly is an inspiration to me. :)"
July 11th, 2007
productive insect says:
"I absolutely agree with Terrapin Dawg. I found her site by chance and I'm slowly working my way through it. I have a great interest in history and southern culture. In addtion to being an accomplished photgrapher, her subject matter is very interesting to me. I especially appreciate the historical narratives she adds to many of her photos. Anyone with similar interests will thoughly enjoy this site."
May 17th, 2007
"Dagmar's passion for southern history and the smalltown communities throughout the south is evident by merely glancing at her photostream. Her travels, accompanied by her old Volvo station wagon and Milka(her dog), show another side of Georgia that often plays a backseat to the metro Atlanta area. From old signs to busted out church windows to abandoned stores, MilkaWay captures the true essence of the south while adding background information to her photos to help educate Flickr viewers. Take the time to look through this photostream and you won't be disappointed."
May 8th, 2007
- Dagmar Nelson
- March 2007