I don't know what photography is for me. It has been a profession, a passion and something I just do for going on a decade. I tend to always drag my camera with me. I've gone through many phases and different styles. Currently I'd say my style is simply photographing life as it passes by.
I live in a village in the rural part of a small island belonging to Vanuatu. I teach English/Earth Sciences and drag my camera on the journeys I am lucky to go on.
my flickr will remain as scatterbrained as my head
- Cosina Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 12,802 photos, 1,170 members
- Nikkor 105mm 2.5 6,089 photos, 1,210 members
- Peace Corps 5,163 photos, 300 members
- Sony A7/A7R/A7S Community 87,996 photos, 4,620 members
- Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 II 2,406 photos, 524 members
- Sony α NEX & ILCE 383,908 photos, 13,732 members
- Aurora (Borealis and Australis) 22,451 photos, 4,682 members
- The Film Fanciers’ Guild 261,940 photos, 6,567 members
- I Hate Digital! 228,895 photos, 3,903 members
- Rangefinder Cameras 266,542 photos, 7,909 members
- Mamiya RZ, RB, 7, Universal Press (6x7cm format) 34,945 photos, 2,604 members
- Mamiya 7 and 7II 37,193 photos, 3,017 members
- Do It Yourself Color (Film ONLY) 59,705 photos, 2,657 members
- New Kodak Portra 400 25,065 photos, 2,812 members
- Kodak Ektar 100 74,001 photos, 7,530 members
- Japanese Car and Motorcycle Performance 47,580 photos, 3,520 members
- Nissan Skylines 11,292 photos, 1,637 members
- expired film 238,601 photos, 10,654 members
- All Alaska 13,883 photos, 641 members
- Anchorage, Alaska 9,670 photos, 618 members
- Hiking 111,023 photos, 5,391 members
- FILM CAMERAS ONLY! 797,391 photos, 28,260 members
- Booooooom.com! 347,623 photos, 18,177 members
- Travel Photography 3,343,278 photos, 119,024 members
- Cupcakes Take The Cake 106,438 photos, 8,768 members
- squareFormat 955,494 photos, 38,535 members
- 6x6. 264,844 photos, 7,274 members
- Fuji Velvia 60,126 photos, 10,386 members
- epson v500 36,295 photos, 1,150 members
- Texas State Parks 11,494 photos, 918 members
- Hasselblad Users Group 135,970 photos, 5,474 members
- Hasselblad 262,044 photos, 12,571 members
- Mamiya Love (FILM ONLY) 112,759 photos, 6,901 members
- Analog Photography 1,933,810 photos, 43,806 members
- Medium Format (film only) 792,624 photos, 32,592 members
- B Square 323,212 photos, 9,915 members
- I Shoot Film 2,404,120 photos, 99,442 members
- Mamiya C330 24,617 photos, 2,220 members
- Wish!ful Thinking Photography Contest 2010 98 photos, 54 members
- Self Taught Photographers - LOOK AT DISCUSSIONS FIRST! 1,470,879 photos, 58,019 members
- Unreal Portraits 50,997 photos, 3,705 members
- Dramatic Portraits - Post 1 Award 2 166,464 photos, 13,285 members
- Hip Hop Culture 46,831 photos, 5,488 members
- FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 708,447 photos, 51,873 members
- Concert Photography 205,051 photos, 37,168 members
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED 8,067 photos, 1,752 members
- Band Photography 467,236 photos, 20,362 members
- Engagement Shots 30,153 photos, 4,558 members
- Flickr Photographer Profiles Blog 134 photos, 1,953 members
- Ambitious Photographers 215,631 photos, 5,721 members
hey it's misty says:
"what is there to say about Michael Spear Hawkins? he used to look like Jesus, but doesn't anymore, and he's biased to his Nikon gear, but that's okay because he uses it really, really well. but forreal, he takes really great photos and he actually knows what he's talking about, yet manages to remain one of the most genuine dudes I've met. GO LURK HIS PHOTOS! DO EEEET."
March 30th, 2010
sara kiesling says:
"Michael Spear Hawkins is so freaking awesome at what he does that he honestly shouldn't even need testimonials from anyone."
March 5th, 2010
"Michael Spear Hawkins... what can we say about this amazing man. His photography has definitely inspired mine, I won't even lie about that, haha. He's gotta be one of the most down and chill photogs that I've ever conversed with over the interwebz. If I could describe this astonishing man in two words... photos and personality alike, I would have to say "Dr. Pepper".
All I've gotta say is I'm roadtripping down to Texas this summer to learn from the master, no joke! You're a boss Michael, thanks for being such a great photographer and such a decent human being!
March 5th, 2010
"MICHAEL SPEAR HAWKINS IS THE DEFINITION OF GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY.
No, really. He is. If you were to look up the definition of photography, you would see a photo of him and his camera right next to it. Even though he shoots Nikon *gag* jaykayz.
I found out about Michael and his work through my (ex)boyfriend who is in a band who is friends with a hiphop duo who is friends with Michael. Small world, eh? I was immediately blown away with his bright colors and fun subjects. He continues to improve with every shot that he takes and keeps me wanting for more. I've met him a few times when I still lived in Dallas and he's pretty crunk. Hang out with him, check out his work. You won't be disappointed."
February 28th, 2010
July 10th, 2009
"Michael SPEAR Hawkins is an anthropologist and is highly influenced by the good people of Sam's Club. Its funny to watch the way he talks to people. But photography wise he is clearly in love with using HDR 24/7/THREE SIX FIVE. Except n0t rlY. He puts his own original twist on everything he photographs and its generally pretty rad. He's really creative and has really helped me out/guided/taught me a whole lot photography wise in the past almost 2 years I've known him, although he's really jealous of my fingerpainting. He's made quite a name for himself but is still one of the most humble people I know, and he keeps it real.
P.S: He's not a douchebag and doesn't take people to bad restaurants."
July 2nd, 2009
"I don't remember how I stumbled across his stream, but I was instantly blown away. It was so refreshing to see a fellow photographer who loved saturated colors, and brightly lit photos - none of this emo, sepia toned dark shtufff you see all over the place.
After that I pretty much made Michael Hawkins notice me. I became practically his biggest fan - always waiting for his new uploads so I could add it as a favorite, or leave a comment. I just couldn't help it! His work is so infectious! Then I finally got to know him a little better, and realized that I most definitely was his biggest fan!
He's creative, talented, professional, and so much fun. Keep an eye out for a Lemon/Hawkins colorful-collab in the future. :)"
May 14th, 2009
"Michael Hawkins seriously rocks! From his crazy awesome colors to crazy awesome subjects and locations, he definitely seems to have this whole photography thing down quite nicely.
Oh yeah, I still have to meet you too MH!
November 17th, 2008
"If you're a fan of bright colors in photos [as long as you don't expect them to be coming from American Apparel hoodies or anything from Urban Outfitters, because those places just are NOT cool, at all,] you've found the right guy. But for real, dude makes Texas [and Texans, naturally,] look good. He really likes to shoot people [and does a good job at it,] and the darker the skin, the better... all jokes aside, though, his photostream is full of some genuinely awesome photos."
October 7th, 2008
"This guy eats, poops, and breathes photography. His sense of lighting and composition are incredible and his images are dripping with in-your-face attitude. Check out his stream... if you dare!"
June 21st, 2008
"Michael Spear Hawkins straight up attacked my mind with his knowledge on lighting and photography. His phenomenal understanding of on-location lighting in its interdependence with photography left me physically bruised and virtually rendered me mentally handicapped, as I almost required a notebook to retain his library of information. Undoubtedly talented Michael Hawkins is an amazing photographer and willing to teach almost anyone. Do not confuse Michael as a nonperson; he is quite professed as his work does display."
June 9th, 2008
"Anyone considering hiring Michael for a shoot shouldn't hesitate. This is a guy who knows his stuff, simple as that. He's a down to earth, friendly dude who will talk photography as long as you want. In the first few minutes of meeting him, he may come off as cocky, but you'll quickly learn this is his confidence in his work coming through. Michael is nothing short of a professional in the making and a real nice guy to boot."
May 19th, 2008
brian Braun says:
""the Hawk" as he is known on the streets of Dallas is definitely somebody to watch in the industry. Rarely have I have seen somebody with the drive and passion that he has for Photography. Plus he is a pretty cool guy. I look forward to see what he brings in the near future."
April 15th, 2008
john h photography says:
"Michael is not only one of the great photographers here in DFW, but I'm sure one day he will be a photographer that I suspect will be one of the top photographers in this business. There are a lot of positives that I could go on and on about, but his willingness to help others out, set him apart. When I started in photography many photographers would not give me the time of day, not Michael he has always been happy to help and go on shoots with me to help me with lighting.
Michael has always made me comfortable asking dumb questions and I owe a lot to him and I too hope to be at the top of my class along side Michael and a lot of that is a direct reflection of his kindness. I just hope he is able to get a D3 soon so he can keep up with me."
April 11th, 2008
Rian Flynn says:
"There's a new sheriff in town and its Michael. haha Michael is great with lighting and is sure to dominate Dallas with his creativity and skill! + he isn't a douche bag! :)"
January 30th, 2008
- mike hawkins
- February 2007
- Fort Worth, Texas
- Luganville, Santo Island, Vanuatu
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Peace Corps Volunteer
- toiletsforsale [at] yahoo.com