I don't try shoot things as they 'really are' -- I shoot them as you may remember them, or as how you might describe them years from now, or dreamed about them last night. Call it 'Visionary Photography' if you want to put a box around it.
I'm not rich. I have two good cameras, a D3 and D800. Shortly after I bought each of them my utilities were shut off.
Things I like: Panoramic photography, hdr panos, shooting at sunrise, low light photography, long exposures, and hdr panos shot at night. Things I really really like: Constructive criticism, watching other photographers do their thing, moments of blind inspiration, the very rare unexpectedly awesome capture, fast hard drives, cheap ram and doing amazingly stupid things for only the best of reasons.
You can reach me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via my Michael Holden Photography page at www.facebook.com/MichaelHoldenPhotography or even give me a call at 206 535 5163
Image use FAQs
How can I license an image? Just go to my site and fill out the form at michaelholden.com/license-image
Can I use your photo on my Facebook page/desktop? I'm honored when people use my photos for their computer desktop or in their personal profiles. Go for it, that's why I make 'em. Please don't use them in a promotional context, or for a company's social network page without getting a license to do so first.
Where can I buy your Burning Man photos?I don't sell Burning Man photos over the internet. (This is a good thing, really!). My Burning Man work is available in galleries from time to time. I make uber-high-quality prints of a limited number of images for friends and family, these are available "at cost". Send me email with any questions.
Where can I buy non-Burning Man prints Other prints will soon be available on MichaelHolden.com
You photographed my art installation/performance/etc, could I get an electronic copy to promote my upcoming show/for my portfolio? Most of the time the answer is yes, absolutely, I'd be delighted to help and can even do custom crops and color treatments to suit. Sometimes things are more complicated, so send me email and we'll work it out.
Can I use your photo on my blog or website? If the blog is not associated with a commercial enterprise, produced by a corporate entity or obviously monetized (no commerce, no ads etc), yes. I'd appreciate a heads up. You must give me credit and link back to the original photo page on Flickr.
What about corporate blogs, for-profit editorial media, editorial news sites, magazines, films, student videos and documentaries? It depends on too many things to answer here. Commercial editorial and print/broadcast media peeps, it's in your best interests to contact me well ahead of press date so we can get everything squared away. Please don't use my photos in these contexts without approval. My rates are competitive with what you'd pay *if* images like these were available via Getty & co. Don't ask to use my work for free unless you and your team are also working for free, and don't expect me to license my work to you for free because you're famous. As they say, you can die from exposure. Personally, I find starvation more appealing.
Can I use your Burning Man images on my company website, or to sell, advertise or promote something? No. Never, don't do it. But you can hire me to make some images for you that will be totally awesome. Email me.
- Beautiful California 135,738 photos, 3,829 members
- yosemite 43,437 photos, 6,273 members
- U.S. National Parks and Places 165,225 photos, 8,613 members
- Minimalism 237,755 photos, 23,341 members
- Less Is More... 50,410 photos, 56,088 members
- Abstract Photos 121,459 photos, 19,229 members
- Travel Photography 4,086,184 photos, 134,446 members
- This is Why I Bought A Camera 557,853 photos, 9,416 members
- Landscape Beauty ! 1,538,909 photos, 57,490 members
- LAist Featured Photos 117,907 photos, 2,395 members
- California Photographer 32,074 photos, 1,901 members
- Northern California Photography 186,616 photos, 5,234 members
- California Landscape Photographer 21,457 photos, 1,269 members
- Hidden Joshua Tree National Park 451 photos, 101 members
- Landscape photography 1,566,125 photos, 72,456 members
- Landscape Exhibition 34,975 photos, 17,580 members
- Nature Photography 2,305,900 photos, 70,076 members
- Outdoor Photographer Magazine (Unofficial) 563,856 photos, 13,599 members
- Burning Man 2016: Da Vinci’s Workshop 607 photos, 76 members
- Los Angeles Architecture 31,316 photos, 1,522 members
- Bernie Sanders 2016 Presidential Campaign 622 photos, 127 members
- Nikon D800/D800E/D810 Users Group 526,114 photos, 15,516 members
- Death Valley 21,711 photos, 2,953 members
- California Desert 36,406 photos, 3,070 members
- Frank Gehry's Architecture 7,285 photos, 1,831 members
- Los Angeles 221,849 photos, 11,040 members
- Burning Man 2015 : Carnival of Mirrors 1,391 photos, 136 members
- Beach Photography 569,842 photos, 71,815 members
- San Francisco 273,957 photos, 15,622 members
- Bridges 148,424 photos, 12,997 members
- Abandoned Pacific Northwest #abandonedPNW 3,437 photos, 201 members
- Skyline Junkies 29,242 photos, 2,414 members
- Burning Man 2014 : Caravansary 1,646 photos, 140 members
- So simple, so beautiful! 526,338 photos, 17,174 members
- Fog and Rain (curated) 257,890 photos, 58,419 members
- Seattle HDR 1,440 photos, 167 members
- Seattle Transit Blog Flickr Pool 15,232 photos, 286 members
- Beautiful Scenery & Landscapes(no people, no man-made objects) 572,774 photos, 38,145 members
- HDR City... 29,473 photos, 1,285 members
- Cemeteries of the United States 21,983 photos, 1,054 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 141,803 photos, 7,910 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 292,946 photos, 45,002 members
- New Orleans Photography 74,419 photos, 2,897 members
- Dope Ass Graff! 120,188 photos, 1,067 members
- BLUE BLUE BLUE 170,893 photos, 8,867 members
- 360° 20,169 photos, 2,536 members
- Equirectangular 18,060 photos, 2,774 members
- HDR Equirectangular 510 photos, 80 members
- Spooky 77,313 photos, 5,978 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 97,273 photos, 2,128 members
"What can I say about Michael's art that they don't already say for themselves. Nothing, really. MIchael rocks, and his art rocks."
November 9th, 2012
- Michael Holden
- September 2004
- Seattle, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Photographer, Panoramist, deep-bit imaging specialist
- michael [at] michaelholden.com