I don't try shoot things as they 'really are' -- I shoot them as you may remember them, or as how you might describe them years from now, or dreamed about them last night. Call it 'Visionary Photography' if you want to put a box around it.
I'm not rich. I have two good cameras, a D3 and D800. Shortly after I bought each of them my utilities were shut off.
Things I like: Panoramic photography, hdr panos, shooting at sunrise, low light photography, long exposures, and hdr panos shot at night. Things I really really like: Constructive criticism, watching other photographers do their thing, moments of blind inspiration, the very rare unexpectedly awesome capture, fast hard drives, cheap ram and doing amazingly stupid things for only the best of reasons.
You can reach me by email at email@example.com or via my Michael Holden Photography page at www.facebook.com/MichaelHoldenPhotography or even give me a call at 206 535 5163
Image use FAQs
How can I license an image? Just go to my site and fill out the form at michaelholden.com/license-image
Can I use your photo on my Facebook page/desktop? I'm honored when people use my photos for their computer desktop or in their personal profiles. Go for it, that's why I make 'em. Please don't use them in a promotional context, or for a company's social network page without getting a license to do so first.
Where can I buy your Burning Man photos?I don't sell Burning Man photos over the internet. (This is a good thing, really!). My Burning Man work is available in galleries from time to time. I make uber-high-quality prints of a limited number of images for friends and family, these are available "at cost". Send me email with any questions.
Where can I buy non-Burning Man prints Other prints will soon be available on MichaelHolden.com
You photographed my art installation/performance/etc, could I get an electronic copy to promote my upcoming show/for my portfolio? Most of the time the answer is yes, absolutely, I'd be delighted to help and can even do custom crops and color treatments to suit. Sometimes things are more complicated, so send me email and we'll work it out.
Can I use your photo on my blog or website? If the blog is not associated with a commercial enterprise, produced by a corporate entity or obviously monetized (no commerce, no ads etc), yes. I'd appreciate a heads up. You must give me credit and link back to the original photo page on Flickr.
What about corporate blogs, for-profit editorial media, editorial news sites, magazines, films, student videos and documentaries? It depends on too many things to answer here. Commercial editorial and print/broadcast media peeps, it's in your best interests to contact me well ahead of press date so we can get everything squared away. Please don't use my photos in these contexts without approval. My rates are competitive with what you'd pay *if* images like these were available via Getty & co. Don't ask to use my work for free unless you and your team are also working for free, and don't expect me to license my work to you for free because you're famous. As they say, you can die from exposure. Personally, I find starvation more appealing.
Can I use your Burning Man images on my company website, or to sell, advertise or promote something? No. Never, don't do it. But you can hire me to make some images for you that will be totally awesome. Email me.
- Los Angeles Architecture 25,878 photos, 1,475 members
- Bernie Sanders 2016 Presidential Campaign 103 photos, 36 members
- Nikon D800/D800E/D810 Users Group 411,851 photos, 14,466 members
- Death Valley 19,162 photos, 2,675 members
- California Desert 33,481 photos, 2,939 members
- Frank Gehry's Architecture 7,111 photos, 1,788 members
- Los Angeles 211,113 photos, 10,780 members
- Burning Man 2015 : Carnival of Mirrors 788 photos, 94 members
- Beach Photography 518,146 photos, 67,877 members
- San Francisco 260,033 photos, 15,310 members
- Bridges 136,857 photos, 12,310 members
- Abandoned Pacific Northwest #abandonedPNW 2,496 photos, 151 members
- Skyline Junkies 22,278 photos, 2,045 members
- Burning Man 2014 : Caravansary 1,608 photos, 129 members
- So simple, so beautiful! 417,342 photos, 15,577 members
- Fog and Rain (curated) 253,407 photos, 54,384 members
- Seattle HDR 1,330 photos, 153 members
- Seattle Transit Blog Flickr Pool 13,213 photos, 267 members
- Beautiful Scenery & Landscapes(no people, no man-made objects) 528,555 photos, 34,894 members
- HDR City... 22,880 photos, 1,122 members
- Cemeteries of the United States 19,651 photos, 923 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 129,567 photos, 7,661 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 275,873 photos, 41,886 members
- New Orleans Photography 65,259 photos, 2,721 members
- Dope Ass Graff! 78,987 photos, 992 members
- BLUE BLUE BLUE 162,324 photos, 8,738 members
- 360° 18,414 photos, 2,034 members
- Equirectangular 14,555 photos, 1,725 members
- HDR Equirectangular 461 photos, 65 members
- The Flour Mill 289 photos, 44 members
- Spooky 70,242 photos, 5,810 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 78,470 photos, 1,914 members
- Art of Urbex 113,082 photos, 3,600 members
- Abandoned Dark Creepy 99,467 photos, 3,688 members
- Northwest Outdoors 111,619 photos, 3,130 members
- Seattle Photographers 30,987 photos, 887 members
- *****City Night Lights***** - - Luces de la ciudad nocturna - - 92,396 photos, 8,460 members
- Get Married at City Hall 602 photos, 39 members
- HDR:Striving Toward Excellence: POST 1/ AWARD 2 63,858 photos, 2,514 members
- Sounders FC 952 photos, 55 members
- Seattle Sounders FC 1,385 photos, 225 members
- Urbex :: Urban Exploration 286,040 photos, 11,014 members
- Abandoned 922,657 photos, 66,035 members
- Urban Decay 431,145 photos, 32,421 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 478,030 photos, 15,726 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 402,433 photos, 12,077 members
- Wonders of Oxidation 45,732 photos, 8,020 members
- Urban Exploration - Exploring Abandonments 256,438 photos, 10,883 members
- urban explorers 246,545 photos, 9,477 members
- Burning Man 2013 : Cargo Cult 2,034 photos, 142 members
"What can I say about Michael's art that they don't already say for themselves. Nothing, really. MIchael rocks, and his art rocks."
November 9th, 2012
- Michael Holden
- September 2004
- Seattle, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Photographer, Panoramist, deep-bit imaging specialist
- michael [at] michaelholden.com