I don't try shoot things as they 'really are' -- I shoot them as you may remember them, or as how you might describe them years from now, or dreamed about them last night. Call it 'Visionary Photography' if you want to put a box around it.
I'm not rich. I have two good cameras, a D3 and D800. Shortly after I bought each of them my utilities were shut off.
Things I like: Panoramic photography, hdr panos, shooting at sunrise, low light photography, long exposures, and hdr panos shot at night. Things I really really like: Constructive criticism, watching other photographers do their thing, moments of blind inspiration, the very rare unexpectedly awesome capture, fast hard drives, cheap ram and doing amazingly stupid things for only the best of reasons.
You can reach me by email at email@example.com or via my Michael Holden Photography page at www.facebook.com/MichaelHoldenPhotography or even give me a call at 206 535 5163
Image use FAQs
How can I license an image? Just go to my site and fill out the form at michaelholden.com/license-image
Can I use your photo on my Facebook page/desktop? I'm honored when people use my photos for their computer desktop or in their personal profiles. Go for it, that's why I make 'em. Please don't use them in a promotional context, or for a company's social network page without getting a license to do so first.
Where can I buy your Burning Man photos?I don't sell Burning Man photos over the internet. (This is a good thing, really!). My Burning Man work is available in galleries from time to time. I make uber-high-quality prints of a limited number of images for friends and family, these are available "at cost". Send me email with any questions.
Where can I buy non-Burning Man prints Other prints will soon be available on MichaelHolden.com
You photographed my art installation/performance/etc, could I get an electronic copy to promote my upcoming show/for my portfolio? Most of the time the answer is yes, absolutely, I'd be delighted to help and can even do custom crops and color treatments to suit. Sometimes things are more complicated, so send me email and we'll work it out.
Can I use your photo on my blog or website? If the blog is not associated with a commercial enterprise, produced by a corporate entity or obviously monetized (no commerce, no ads etc), yes. I'd appreciate a heads up. You must give me credit and link back to the original photo page on Flickr.
What about corporate blogs, for-profit editorial media, editorial news sites, magazines, films, student videos and documentaries? It depends on too many things to answer here. Commercial editorial and print/broadcast media peeps, it's in your best interests to contact me well ahead of press date so we can get everything squared away. Please don't use my photos in these contexts without approval. My rates are competitive with what you'd pay *if* images like these were available via Getty & co. Don't ask to use my work for free unless you and your team are also working for free, and don't expect me to license my work to you for free because you're famous. As they say, you can die from exposure. Personally, I find starvation more appealing.
Can I use your Burning Man images on my company website, or to sell, advertise or promote something? No. Never, don't do it. But you can hire me to make some images for you that will be totally awesome. Email me.
- Beach Photography 489,134 photos, 65,201 members
- San Francisco 251,711 photos, 14,792 members
- Bridges 130,992 photos, 11,896 members
- Abandoned Pacific Northwest #abandonedPNW 2,140 photos, 127 members
- Skyline Junkies 18,340 photos, 1,794 members
- Burning Man 2014 : Caravansary 1,512 photos, 114 members
- So simple, so beautiful! 369,823 photos, 14,579 members
- Fog and Rain 248,775 photos, 50,326 members
- Seattle HDR 1,258 photos, 138 members
- Seattle Transit Blog Flickr Pool 12,458 photos, 254 members
- Beautiful Scenery & Landscapes(no people, no man-made objects) 506,562 photos, 32,821 members
- HDR City... 19,184 photos, 1,004 members
- Cemeteries of the United States 18,110 photos, 862 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 125,137 photos, 7,440 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 266,623 photos, 39,425 members
- New Orleans Photography 58,419 photos, 2,611 members
- Dope Ass Graff! 57,985 photos, 932 members
- BLUE BLUE BLUE 157,681 photos, 8,670 members
- 360° 17,949 photos, 1,961 members
- Equirectangular 13,911 photos, 1,642 members
- HDR Equirectangular 453 photos, 64 members
- The Flour Mill 289 photos, 44 members
- Spooky 66,193 photos, 5,676 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 69,873 photos, 1,763 members
- Art of Urbex 98,255 photos, 3,216 members
- Abandoned Dark Creepy 88,783 photos, 3,365 members
- Northwest Outdoors 105,159 photos, 3,040 members
- Seattle Photographers 26,983 photos, 784 members
- *****City Night Lights***** - - Luces de la ciudad nocturna - - 80,064 photos, 7,403 members
- Get Married at City Hall 602 photos, 39 members
- HDR:Striving Toward Excellence: POST 1/ AWARD 2 61,964 photos, 2,525 members
- Sounders FC 952 photos, 55 members
- Seattle Sounders FC 1,348 photos, 223 members
- Urbex :: Urban Exploration 262,056 photos, 10,381 members
- Abandoned 856,382 photos, 60,088 members
- Urban Decay 410,619 photos, 31,675 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 444,229 photos, 14,910 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 375,538 photos, 11,567 members
- Wonders of Oxidation 44,137 photos, 7,973 members
- Urban Exploration - Exploring Abandonments 235,793 photos, 10,277 members
- urban explorers 227,887 photos, 8,993 members
- Burning Man 2013 : Cargo Cult 2,035 photos, 142 members
- Temple of Juno - Burning Man 2012 178 photos, 39 members
- Burning Man CORE project 458 photos, 31 members
- Beautiful Mountains 44,365 photos, 3,011 members
- Beautiful Pacific Northwest 19,509 photos, 404 members
- ***This should be a Postcard!*** 198,133 photos, 9,764 members
- City and Architecture 19,381 photos, 2,764 members
- All Day I Dream About Photography 134,355 photos, 4,626 members
- TTHDR (True Tone High Dynamic Range) 31,928 photos, 2,605 members
"What can I say about Michael's art that they don't already say for themselves. Nothing, really. MIchael rocks, and his art rocks."
November 9th, 2012
- Michael Holden
- September 2004
- Seattle, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Photographer, Panoramist, deep-bit imaging specialist
- michael [at] michaelholden.com