I don't try shoot things as they 'really are' -- I shoot them as you may remember them, or as how you might describe them years from now, or dreamed about them last night. Call it 'Visionary Photography' if you want to put a box around it.
I'm not rich. I have two good cameras, a D3 and D800. Shortly after I bought each of them my utilities were shut off.
Things I like: Panoramic photography, hdr panos, shooting at sunrise, low light photography, long exposures, and hdr panos shot at night. Things I really really like: Constructive criticism, watching other photographers do their thing, moments of blind inspiration, the very rare unexpectedly awesome capture, fast hard drives, cheap ram and doing amazingly stupid things for only the best of reasons.
You can reach me by email at email@example.com or via my Michael Holden Photography page at www.facebook.com/MichaelHoldenPhotography or even give me a call at 206 535 5163
Image use FAQs
How can I license an image? Just go to my site and fill out the form at michaelholden.com/license-image
Can I use your photo on my Facebook page/desktop? I'm honored when people use my photos for their computer desktop or in their personal profiles. Go for it, that's why I make 'em. Please don't use them in a promotional context, or for a company's social network page without getting a license to do so first.
Where can I buy your Burning Man photos?I don't sell Burning Man photos over the internet. (This is a good thing, really!). My Burning Man work is available in galleries from time to time. I make uber-high-quality prints of a limited number of images for friends and family, these are available "at cost". Send me email with any questions.
Where can I buy non-Burning Man prints Other prints will soon be available on MichaelHolden.com
You photographed my art installation/performance/etc, could I get an electronic copy to promote my upcoming show/for my portfolio? Most of the time the answer is yes, absolutely, I'd be delighted to help and can even do custom crops and color treatments to suit. Sometimes things are more complicated, so send me email and we'll work it out.
Can I use your photo on my blog or website? If the blog is not associated with a commercial enterprise, produced by a corporate entity or obviously monetized (no commerce, no ads etc), yes. I'd appreciate a heads up. You must give me credit and link back to the original photo page on Flickr.
What about corporate blogs, for-profit editorial media, editorial news sites, magazines, films, student videos and documentaries? It depends on too many things to answer here. Commercial editorial and print/broadcast media peeps, it's in your best interests to contact me well ahead of press date so we can get everything squared away. Please don't use my photos in these contexts without approval. My rates are competitive with what you'd pay *if* images like these were available via Getty & co. Don't ask to use my work for free unless you and your team are also working for free, and don't expect me to license my work to you for free because you're famous. As they say, you can die from exposure. Personally, I find starvation more appealing.
Can I use your Burning Man images on my company website, or to sell, advertise or promote something? No. Never, don't do it. But you can hire me to make some images for you that will be totally awesome. Email me.
- Skyline Junkies 11,421 photos, 1,247 members
- Burning Man 2014 : Caravansary 0 photos, 19 members
- So simple, so beautiful! 300,620 photos, 12,757 members
- Fog and Rain 225,223 photos, 45,685 members
- Seattle HDR 1,134 photos, 131 members
- Seattle Transit Blog Flickr Pool 11,528 photos, 233 members
- Beautiful Scenery & Landscapes 475,211 photos, 29,063 members
- HDR City... 12,932 photos, 815 members
- Cemeteries of the United States 15,491 photos, 730 members
- Cemeteries - Cementerios - Friedhoefe - Cimetières - Cimiteri 118,268 photos, 7,053 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 249,582 photos, 36,905 members
- New Orleans Photography 49,028 photos, 2,484 members
- Dope Ass Graff! 33,436 photos, 812 members
- BLUE BLUE BLUE 151,949 photos, 8,592 members
- 360° 17,320 photos, 1,894 members
- Equirectangular 12,941 photos, 1,567 members
- HDR Equirectangular 446 photos, 63 members
- The Flour Mill 290 photos, 44 members
- Spooky 57,642 photos, 5,298 members
- Beauty of Decay / Schönheit des Verfalls 57,826 photos, 1,518 members
- Art of Urbex 75,287 photos, 2,588 members
- Abandoned Dark Creepy 67,640 photos, 2,766 members
- Northwest Outdoors 95,221 photos, 2,876 members
- Seattle Photographers 21,641 photos, 672 members
- *****City Night Lights***** - - Luces de la ciudad nocturna - - 60,291 photos, 5,944 members
- Get Married at City Hall 628 photos, 39 members
- HDR:Striving Toward Excellence: POST 1/ AWARD 2 57,882 photos, 2,524 members
- Sounders FC 949 photos, 54 members
- Seattle Sounders FC 1,292 photos, 211 members
- Urbex :: Urban Exploration 223,990 photos, 9,270 members
- Abandoned 753,499 photos, 53,777 members
- Urban Decay 374,408 photos, 30,345 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 384,061 photos, 13,411 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 332,984 photos, 10,792 members
- Wonders of Oxidation 42,098 photos, 7,895 members
- Urban Exploration - Exploring Abandonments 203,582 photos, 9,181 members
- urban explorers 202,172 photos, 8,330 members
- Burning Man 2013 : Cargo Cult 1,922 photos, 117 members
- Temple of Juno - Burning Man 2012 178 photos, 36 members
- Burning Man CORE project 464 photos, 28 members
- Beautiful Mountains 35,800 photos, 2,673 members
- Mountain Atmosphere 258 photos, 312 members
- Beautiful Pacific Northwest 16,025 photos, 342 members
- ***This should be a Postcard!*** 166,164 photos, 7,898 members
- City and Architecture 18,651 photos, 1,942 members
- All Day I Dream About Photography 103,126 photos, 4,042 members
- TTHDR (True Tone High Dynamic Range) 29,199 photos, 2,558 members
- PHOTOS STOLEN 341 photos, 465 members
- Mount Rainier 3,490 photos, 678 members
- The FLICKYS !!! 545,071 photos, 17,643 members
"What can I say about Michael's art that they don't already say for themselves. Nothing, really. MIchael rocks, and his art rocks."
9th November, 2012
- Michael Holden
- September 2004
- Seattle, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Photographer, Panoramist, deep-bit imaging specialist
- michael [at] michaelholden.com