I have been photographing since I was a teen, but really only started taking photography seriously in 1999. Favorite subjects are nature, small towns, street, landscapes, and decrepit buildings. I would love to do more portraiture, but then I have to arrange times and places with people. Black and White is my preferred medium, and I shoot quite a bit of medium format as well as 35mm. My Flickr photostream is pretty representative of my shooting -- all kinds of cameras, subjects, and techniques.
If you'd like to pose for me, contact me and I'll see what we can arrange.
If you see an image of mine that you'd like hanging on your wall, I do sell b&w silver prints of my b&w work. Color prints are also available, but I do not process those myself. If you would like to use any of my works - all are copyrighted by me, and I charge (a reasonable fee) for their use.
Favorite photographers: Walker Evans, Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham, Ansel Adams, Brett Weston, Freeman Patterson, Stephen Shore, Dorothea Lange, Vivian Maier, among others..
- ~Attention Worthy - No 30/60 Limit 15,084 photos, 665 members
- Effected Cameras 45,226 photos, 3,656 members
- Ektachrome (Elite Chrome) 11,067 photos, 941 members
- The Beauty That Surrounds Us 11,521 photos, 304 members
- BelieveInFilm.com 77,924 photos, 1,283 members
- Lomography La Sardina 7,836 photos, 970 members
- Landscape and Nature Nirvana 52,207 photos, 1,074 members
- Kiev 19 1,220 photos, 157 members
- Ricoh 500G 4,598 photos, 777 members
- Scènes de rue-Street scenes (NO PORTRAITS) 10,441 photos, 421 members
- Pinhole Photography 81,677 photos, 19,485 members
- Pinhole Portraiture 2,510 photos, 551 members
- Your Choice 30,151 photos, 681 members
- No commitment to Sparkle Motion 7,311 photos, 53 members
- Soulful Portraits 3,526 photos, 1,153 members
- Classical Black & White 112,211 photos, 2,751 members
- svema film 2,314 photos, 342 members
- Monochrome Bokeh Thursday 9,906 photos, 623 members
- Svema Films 1,205 photos, 275 members
- 1" Sensors 91,371 photos, 1,112 members
- I Shoot Film 2,572,528 photos, 108,884 members
- Wasps 12,739 photos, 1,947 members
- Bees of the Americas * Abejas de las Américas 3,034 photos, 310 members
- Nikon1 53,034 photos, 1,490 members
- Nikon 1 Cameras 36,396 photos, 2,883 members
- Michigan Cemetery Photos 1,096 photos, 38 members
- Jackson, Michigan 1,387 photos, 78 members
- Debonair Super Lens 1:8/60 1,602 photos, 125 members
- C-Mount / Cine lens art photography club 3,869 photos, 810 members
- Pictures of Ohio - OPTED OUT 10,308 photos, 115 members
- KEH Camera 23,005 photos, 752 members
- Great Wall PF-1 SLR 52 photos, 44 members
- Film Photography Podcast 365,417 photos, 10,426 members
- Michigan Odonata 860 photos, 19 members
- Camera-wiki.org 88,372 photos, 2,430 members
- AnnArbor.com Photo 507 photos, 57 members
- Katzen auf Film 272 photos, 37 members
- I Love Grain Elevators. 14,259 photos, 880 members
- Michigan Gardens 9,149 photos, 257 members
- PLASTIC FANTASTIC - the plastic lens film group 77,990 photos, 2,494 members
- Washtenaw County, Michigan 8,901 photos, 165 members
- Michigan Barns 4,193 photos, 193 members
- Your camera collection ! 78,096 photos, 5,791 members
- Cat Portraits 164,289 photos, 18,824 members
- Empty Seats 60,348 photos, 21,990 members
- Camera porn 49,107 photos, 4,109 members
- Darkroom Scenes 898 photos, 663 members
- Found Photographs 73,097 photos, 3,504 members
- Ciro-flex 1,345 photos, 234 members
- Toy Digital 16,866 photos, 977 members
and someone I'm glad to consider a friend."
March 25th, 2008
Napalm Cupcake says:
"What to say about one so great?
Mark amazes me with his eye for details and structure. he is kind, crazy, cool and a photography force to be reckoned with.
He IS the Mack Daddy of film photography and I cannot begin to express my gratitude to him for his teaching, patience and support.
Truly a magnificent soul on this planet!"
November 10th, 2006
SandyJo Kelly. says:
"Mark is really something else!! Helpful in every way with anything you'd want to know about film, and always willing to listen and lend a hand. He was my inspiration for buying my SLR film cameras!! His photos are beautiful, and I'm particularly fond of the black and white images he produces. Thank you my friend for your support! I'm very fortunate to have you as a Flickr friend!!"
September 9th, 2006
"Mark is an amazing photographer. His photos entertain me and inspire me daily. Plus he is a wonderful person, always willing to share his knowledge and help me in my quest to learn how to be a better photographer. His help and encouragement has meant so much to me.
And he is able to cheerfully identify the odd bugs I take pictures of without telling me to go buy a field guide already. Flickr needs more talented and kind photographers like Mark"
July 24th, 2006
"Mark is what I would consider the best of all kinds of photographers. He knows photography, and surely knows cameras, but he has continued to be hungry in his pursuit knowledge. His passion shows in his art and his energy, and it rubs off on those around him. Mark doesn't seem to let himself get in the way of having fun with photography, and that is one of the best lessons I have learned from him.
I've been lucky enough to meet him on and off Flickr, and I am a better photographer because of it."
May 13th, 2006
"I hardly know where to begin, in writing up a testimonial for Mark...but since this is a photo sharing site, I'll begin with the obvious...
Mark is one of those individuals, for whom I am in immense awe regarding the depth and breadth of his knowledge of photography. I can't think of a single individual I know who is so well versed in cameras, techniques and fundamentals of the art. His knowledge is fleshed out by his skill...shown through his work with a variety of formats, cameras and film. And he goes beyond mere technical skill...he is familiar with those many little nuances that make a great image...the nuances that translate simply into the "spirit" of photography.
Perhaps equally as important as Mark's ability with the camera and creating a memorable image, is his generous nature and good will. His supportive and encouraging comments can be found in so many photostreams of those of us who've had the good fortune to cross his path. He is one of those "cornerstones" of flickr that make it so much more than a "photo sharing site" and more like a real community... Thanks, Mark!!"
July 23rd, 2005
- October 2004
- Parishville, NY
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Mark O'Brien Photography