I have been photographing since I was a teen, but really only started taking photography seriously in 1999. Favorite subjects are nature, small towns, street, landscapes, and decrepit buildings. I would love to do more portraiture, but then I have to arrange times and places with people. Black and White is my preferred medium, and I shoot quite a bit of medium format as well as 35mm. My Flickr photostream is pretty representative of my shooting -- all kinds of cameras, subjects, and techniques.
If you'd like to pose for me, contact me and I'll see what we can arrange.
If you see an image of mine that you'd like hanging on your wall, I do sell b&w silver prints of my b&w work. Color prints are also available, but I do not process those myself. If you would like to use any of my works - all are copyrighted by me, and I charge (a reasonable fee) for their use.
Favorite photographers: Walker Evans, Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham, Ansel Adams, Brett Weston, Freeman Patterson, Stephen Shore, Dorothea Lange, Vivian Maier, among others..
- The Beauty That Surrounds Us 4,495 photos, 178 members
- BelieveInFilm.com 59,006 photos, 1,125 members
- Lomography La Sardina 7,627 photos, 930 members
- Landscape and Nature Nirvana 30,448 photos, 837 members
- Kiev 19 1,180 photos, 140 members
- Ricoh 500G 4,128 photos, 718 members
- Scènes de rue-Street scenes (NO PORTRAITS) 6,310 photos, 329 members
- Pinhole Photography 78,692 photos, 18,638 members
- Pinhole Portraiture 2,544 photos, 520 members
- Your Choice 19,664 photos, 631 members
- No commitment to Sparkle Motion 5,512 photos, 57 members
- Soulful Portraits 3,852 photos, 1,087 members
- Classical Black & White 78,098 photos, 2,319 members
- svema film 1,807 photos, 277 members
- Monochrome Bokeh Thursday 7,157 photos, 501 members
- Svema Films 754 photos, 212 members
- 1" Sensors 58,933 photos, 851 members
- I Shoot Film 2,513,214 photos, 104,148 members
- Wasps 11,314 photos, 1,856 members
- Bees of the Americas * Abejas de las Américas 2,619 photos, 276 members
- Nikon1 46,732 photos, 1,429 members
- Nikon 1 Cameras 31,994 photos, 2,840 members
- Michigan Cemetery Photos 1,029 photos, 37 members
- Jackson, Michigan 1,290 photos, 76 members
- Debonair Super Lens 1:8/60 1,412 photos, 116 members
- C-Mount / Cine lens art photography club 2,759 photos, 728 members
- Pictures of Ohio 9,044 photos, 96 members
- KEH Camera 20,527 photos, 741 members
- Great Wall PF-1 SLR 53 photos, 37 members
- Film Photography Podcast 298,048 photos, 8,452 members
- Michigan Odonata 763 photos, 19 members
- Camera-wiki.org 80,600 photos, 2,146 members
- AnnArbor.com Photo 470 photos, 55 members
- Katzen auf Film 249 photos, 35 members
- I Love Grain Elevators. 13,236 photos, 841 members
- Michigan Gardens 8,988 photos, 252 members
- PLASTIC FANTASTIC - the plastic lens film group 76,359 photos, 2,476 members
- Washtenaw County, Michigan 8,124 photos, 161 members
- Michigan Barns 3,918 photos, 177 members
- Your camera collection ! 71,801 photos, 5,652 members
- Cat Portraits 156,263 photos, 18,346 members
- Empty Seats 58,912 photos, 21,074 members
- Camera porn 45,384 photos, 3,887 members
- Darkroom Scenes 754 photos, 636 members
- Found Photographs 67,212 photos, 3,373 members
- Ciro-flex 1,349 photos, 220 members
- Toy Digital 16,748 photos, 967 members
- Autumn in Michigan 6,630 photos, 399 members
- dream-nature 7,073 photos, 815 members
- Photostock: The Annual Mid-Summer Photographer's Gathering 563 photos, 44 members
and someone I'm glad to consider a friend."
March 25th, 2008
Napalm Cupcake says:
"What to say about one so great?
Mark amazes me with his eye for details and structure. he is kind, crazy, cool and a photography force to be reckoned with.
He IS the Mack Daddy of film photography and I cannot begin to express my gratitude to him for his teaching, patience and support.
Truly a magnificent soul on this planet!"
November 10th, 2006
SandyJo Kelly. says:
"Mark is really something else!! Helpful in every way with anything you'd want to know about film, and always willing to listen and lend a hand. He was my inspiration for buying my SLR film cameras!! His photos are beautiful, and I'm particularly fond of the black and white images he produces. Thank you my friend for your support! I'm very fortunate to have you as a Flickr friend!!"
September 9th, 2006
"Mark is an amazing photographer. His photos entertain me and inspire me daily. Plus he is a wonderful person, always willing to share his knowledge and help me in my quest to learn how to be a better photographer. His help and encouragement has meant so much to me.
And he is able to cheerfully identify the odd bugs I take pictures of without telling me to go buy a field guide already. Flickr needs more talented and kind photographers like Mark"
July 24th, 2006
"Mark is what I would consider the best of all kinds of photographers. He knows photography, and surely knows cameras, but he has continued to be hungry in his pursuit knowledge. His passion shows in his art and his energy, and it rubs off on those around him. Mark doesn't seem to let himself get in the way of having fun with photography, and that is one of the best lessons I have learned from him.
I've been lucky enough to meet him on and off Flickr, and I am a better photographer because of it."
May 13th, 2006
"I hardly know where to begin, in writing up a testimonial for Mark...but since this is a photo sharing site, I'll begin with the obvious...
Mark is one of those individuals, for whom I am in immense awe regarding the depth and breadth of his knowledge of photography. I can't think of a single individual I know who is so well versed in cameras, techniques and fundamentals of the art. His knowledge is fleshed out by his skill...shown through his work with a variety of formats, cameras and film. And he goes beyond mere technical skill...he is familiar with those many little nuances that make a great image...the nuances that translate simply into the "spirit" of photography.
Perhaps equally as important as Mark's ability with the camera and creating a memorable image, is his generous nature and good will. His supportive and encouraging comments can be found in so many photostreams of those of us who've had the good fortune to cross his path. He is one of those "cornerstones" of flickr that make it so much more than a "photo sharing site" and more like a real community... Thanks, Mark!!"
July 23rd, 2005
- October 2004
- Parishville, NY
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Mark O'Brien Photography