I have been photographing since I was a teen, but really only started taking photography seriously in 1999. Favorite subjects are nature, small towns, street, landscapes, and decrepit buildings. I would love to do more portraiture, but then I have to arrange times and places with people. Black and White is my preferred medium, and I shoot quite a bit of medium format as well as 35mm. My Flickr photostream is pretty representative of my shooting -- all kinds of cameras, subjects, and techniques.
If you'd like to pose for me, contact me and I'll see what we can arrange.
If you see an image of mine that you'd like hanging on your wall, I do sell b&w silver prints of my b&w work. Color prints are also available, but I do not process those myself. If you would like to use any of my works - all are copyrighted by me, and I charge (a reasonable fee) for their use.
Favorite photographers: Walker Evans, Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham, Ansel Adams, Brett Weston, Freeman Patterson, Stephen Shore, Dorothea Lange, Vivian Maier, among others..
- Lomography La Sardina 7,603 photos, 924 members
- Landscape and Nature Nirvana 25,727 photos, 770 members
- Kiev 19 1,182 photos, 138 members
- Ricoh 500G 4,068 photos, 716 members
- Scènes de rue-Street scenes 5,630 photos, 314 members
- Pinhole Photography 78,026 photos, 18,408 members
- Pinhole Portraiture 2,515 photos, 518 members
- Your Choice 17,443 photos, 614 members
- No commitment to Sparkle Motion 5,058 photos, 56 members
- Soulful Portraits 3,951 photos, 1,074 members
- Classical Black & White 72,361 photos, 2,237 members
- svema film 1,700 photos, 270 members
- Monochrome Bokeh Thursday 6,790 photos, 456 members
- Svema Films 702 photos, 190 members
- 1" Sensors 54,102 photos, 821 members
- I Shoot Film 2,488,493 photos, 103,320 members
- Wasps 10,913 photos, 1,795 members
- Bees of the Americas * Abejas de las Américas 2,505 photos, 264 members
- Nikon1 45,644 photos, 1,408 members
- Nikon 1 Cameras 30,961 photos, 2,819 members
- Michigan Cemetery Photos 1,008 photos, 35 members
- Jackson, Michigan 1,252 photos, 76 members
- Debonair Super Lens 1:8/60 1,383 photos, 113 members
- C-Mount / Cine lens art photography club 2,618 photos, 712 members
- Pictures of Ohio 8,830 photos, 90 members
- KEH Camera 19,862 photos, 742 members
- Great Wall PF-1 SLR 52 photos, 36 members
- Film Photography Podcast 285,144 photos, 8,192 members
- Michigan Odonata 729 photos, 17 members
- Camera-wiki.org 79,036 photos, 2,092 members
- AnnArbor.com Photo 469 photos, 55 members
- Katzen auf Film 252 photos, 35 members
- I Love Grain Elevators. 13,178 photos, 835 members
- Michigan Gardens 8,937 photos, 247 members
- PLASTIC FANTASTIC - the plastic lens film group 76,095 photos, 2,470 members
- Washtenaw County, Michigan 8,028 photos, 160 members
- Michigan Barns 3,859 photos, 176 members
- Your camera collection ! 70,390 photos, 5,628 members
- Cat Portraits 154,395 photos, 18,228 members
- Empty Seats 58,465 photos, 20,813 members
- Camera porn 44,815 photos, 3,844 members
- Darkroom Scenes 739 photos, 627 members
- Found Photographs 65,270 photos, 3,353 members
- Ciro-flex 1,347 photos, 217 members
- Toy Digital 16,658 photos, 970 members
- Autumn in Michigan 6,407 photos, 393 members
- dream-nature 6,887 photos, 809 members
- Photostock: The Annual Mid-Summer Photographer's Gathering 557 photos, 44 members
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore 5,682 photos, 427 members
- 35mm Toy Cameras 25,675 photos, 1,589 members
and someone I'm glad to consider a friend."
March 25th, 2008
Napalm Cupcake says:
"What to say about one so great?
Mark amazes me with his eye for details and structure. he is kind, crazy, cool and a photography force to be reckoned with.
He IS the Mack Daddy of film photography and I cannot begin to express my gratitude to him for his teaching, patience and support.
Truly a magnificent soul on this planet!"
November 10th, 2006
SandyJo Kelly. says:
"Mark is really something else!! Helpful in every way with anything you'd want to know about film, and always willing to listen and lend a hand. He was my inspiration for buying my SLR film cameras!! His photos are beautiful, and I'm particularly fond of the black and white images he produces. Thank you my friend for your support! I'm very fortunate to have you as a Flickr friend!!"
September 9th, 2006
"Mark is an amazing photographer. His photos entertain me and inspire me daily. Plus he is a wonderful person, always willing to share his knowledge and help me in my quest to learn how to be a better photographer. His help and encouragement has meant so much to me.
And he is able to cheerfully identify the odd bugs I take pictures of without telling me to go buy a field guide already. Flickr needs more talented and kind photographers like Mark"
July 24th, 2006
"Mark is what I would consider the best of all kinds of photographers. He knows photography, and surely knows cameras, but he has continued to be hungry in his pursuit knowledge. His passion shows in his art and his energy, and it rubs off on those around him. Mark doesn't seem to let himself get in the way of having fun with photography, and that is one of the best lessons I have learned from him.
I've been lucky enough to meet him on and off Flickr, and I am a better photographer because of it."
May 13th, 2006
"I hardly know where to begin, in writing up a testimonial for Mark...but since this is a photo sharing site, I'll begin with the obvious...
Mark is one of those individuals, for whom I am in immense awe regarding the depth and breadth of his knowledge of photography. I can't think of a single individual I know who is so well versed in cameras, techniques and fundamentals of the art. His knowledge is fleshed out by his skill...shown through his work with a variety of formats, cameras and film. And he goes beyond mere technical skill...he is familiar with those many little nuances that make a great image...the nuances that translate simply into the "spirit" of photography.
Perhaps equally as important as Mark's ability with the camera and creating a memorable image, is his generous nature and good will. His supportive and encouraging comments can be found in so many photostreams of those of us who've had the good fortune to cross his path. He is one of those "cornerstones" of flickr that make it so much more than a "photo sharing site" and more like a real community... Thanks, Mark!!"
July 23rd, 2005
- October 2004
- Parishville, NY
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Mark O'Brien Photography