I have been photographing since I was a teen, but really only started taking photography seriously in 1999. Favorite subjects are nature, small towns, street, landscapes, and decrepit buildings. I would love to do more portraiture, but then I have to arrange times and places with people. Black and White is my preferred medium, and I shoot quite a bit of medium format as well as 35mm. My Flickr photostream is pretty representative of my shooting -- all kinds of cameras, subjects, and techniques.
If you'd like to pose for me, contact me and I'll see what we can arrange.
If you see an image of mine that you'd like hanging on your wall, I do sell b&w silver prints of my b&w work. Color prints are also available, but I do not process those myself. If you would like to use any of my works - all are copyrighted by me, and I charge (a reasonable fee) for their use.
Favorite photographers: Walker Evans, Edward Weston, Imogen Cunningham, Ansel Adams, Brett Weston, Freeman Patterson, Stephen Shore, Dorothea Lange, Vivian Maier, among others..
- Lomography La Sardina 7,447 photos, 893 members
- Landscape & Nature Nirvana 10,707 photos, 470 members
- Kiev 19 1,150 photos, 131 members
- Ricoh 500G 3,838 photos, 690 members
- Scènes de rue-Street scenes 3,218 photos, 255 members
- Pinhole Photography 76,013 photos, 17,066 members
- Pinhole Portraiture 2,410 photos, 508 members
- Your Choice 10,351 photos, 556 members
- No commitment to Sparkle Motion 3,627 photos, 57 members
- Soulful Portraits 4,059 photos, 1,036 members
- Classical Black & White 53,930 photos, 1,944 members
- svema film 1,425 photos, 236 members
- Monochrome Bokeh Thursday 5,396 photos, 388 members
- Svema Films 465 photos, 119 members
- 1" Sensors 39,205 photos, 643 members
- I Shoot Film 2,403,925 photos, 99,434 members
- Wasps 10,074 photos, 1,743 members
- Bees of the Americas * Abejas de las Américas 2,211 photos, 239 members
- Nikon1 38,168 photos, 1,325 members
- Nikon 1 Cameras 27,624 photos, 2,760 members
- Michigan Cemetery Photos 801 photos, 30 members
- Jackson, Michigan 1,172 photos, 75 members
- Tintypes, ambrotypes, Wet-plate Collodion photographs 12,448 photos, 2,107 members
- Debonair Super Lens 1:8/60 1,277 photos, 104 members
- C-Mount / Cine lens art photography club 2,122 photos, 675 members
- Pictures of Ohio 8,340 photos, 81 members
- KEH Camera 17,784 photos, 737 members
- Great Wall PF-1 SLR 45 photos, 34 members
- Film Photography Podcast 246,884 photos, 7,293 members
- Michigan Odonata 561 photos, 15 members
- Camera-wiki.org 74,889 photos, 1,891 members
- The Olympus OM Crew , aka The Cult of Zuiko 68,650 photos, 3,772 members
- AnnArbor.com Photo 459 photos, 55 members
- Katzen auf Film 253 photos, 36 members
- I Love Grain Elevators. 12,703 photos, 799 members
- Michigan Gardens 8,558 photos, 246 members
- PLASTIC FANTASTIC 75,997 photos, 2,434 members
- Washtenaw County, Michigan 7,651 photos, 153 members
- Michigan Barns 3,637 photos, 167 members
- Your camera collection ! 65,857 photos, 5,503 members
- Cat Portraits 148,689 photos, 17,790 members
- Empty Seats 56,522 photos, 18,895 members
- Camera porn 42,258 photos, 3,668 members
- Darkroom Scenes 684 photos, 602 members
- Found Photographs 59,932 photos, 3,292 members
- Ciro-flex 1,316 photos, 208 members
- Toy Digital 16,306 photos, 964 members
- Autumn in Michigan 6,299 photos, 391 members
- dream-nature 6,615 photos, 771 members
- Photostock: The Annual Mid-Summer Photographer's Gathering 479 photos, 44 members
and someone I'm glad to consider a friend."
March 25th, 2008
Napalm Cupcake says:
"What to say about one so great?
Mark amazes me with his eye for details and structure. he is kind, crazy, cool and a photography force to be reckoned with.
He IS the Mack Daddy of film photography and I cannot begin to express my gratitude to him for his teaching, patience and support.
Truly a magnificent soul on this planet!"
November 10th, 2006
SandyJo Kelly. says:
"Mark is really something else!! Helpful in every way with anything you'd want to know about film, and always willing to listen and lend a hand. He was my inspiration for buying my SLR film cameras!! His photos are beautiful, and I'm particularly fond of the black and white images he produces. Thank you my friend for your support! I'm very fortunate to have you as a Flickr friend!!"
September 9th, 2006
"Mark is an amazing photographer. His photos entertain me and inspire me daily. Plus he is a wonderful person, always willing to share his knowledge and help me in my quest to learn how to be a better photographer. His help and encouragement has meant so much to me.
And he is able to cheerfully identify the odd bugs I take pictures of without telling me to go buy a field guide already. Flickr needs more talented and kind photographers like Mark"
July 24th, 2006
"Mark is what I would consider the best of all kinds of photographers. He knows photography, and surely knows cameras, but he has continued to be hungry in his pursuit knowledge. His passion shows in his art and his energy, and it rubs off on those around him. Mark doesn't seem to let himself get in the way of having fun with photography, and that is one of the best lessons I have learned from him.
I've been lucky enough to meet him on and off Flickr, and I am a better photographer because of it."
May 13th, 2006
"I hardly know where to begin, in writing up a testimonial for Mark...but since this is a photo sharing site, I'll begin with the obvious...
Mark is one of those individuals, for whom I am in immense awe regarding the depth and breadth of his knowledge of photography. I can't think of a single individual I know who is so well versed in cameras, techniques and fundamentals of the art. His knowledge is fleshed out by his skill...shown through his work with a variety of formats, cameras and film. And he goes beyond mere technical skill...he is familiar with those many little nuances that make a great image...the nuances that translate simply into the "spirit" of photography.
Perhaps equally as important as Mark's ability with the camera and creating a memorable image, is his generous nature and good will. His supportive and encouraging comments can be found in so many photostreams of those of us who've had the good fortune to cross his path. He is one of those "cornerstones" of flickr that make it so much more than a "photo sharing site" and more like a real community... Thanks, Mark!!"
July 23rd, 2005
- October 2004
- Parishville, NY
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Mark O'Brien Photography