‘No entry'; 'access strictly prohibited’; ‘trespassers will be prosecuted'; common sights on perimeter fences around many of this country's forgotten buildings or abandoned industrial sites. In some cases warnings of the potential dangers contained within or an ineffective deterrent against thieves and vandals. To the urban explorer / photographer these signs are the proverbial 'red rag' and serve to whet the appetite for the promise of hidden wonders that may lie beyond.
For those that ignore the warnings and climb the fences, what awaits is usually worth the risks. Vast industrial spaces that feel more like an alien landscape or a poignant residential setting slowly surrenders to the inexorable advance of nature. Places once alive with sound and movement, now silent and still but no less sensory. Immense and powerful beauty resides in these forgotten places.
For some, just getting inside a location to experience this alternative form of sightseeing, is enough to satiate the desire to go where the powers that be tell us we shouldn't. But for others there is a need to capture the spirit of a location in words and pictures, giving others a metaphorical ‘leg-up’ over the fences and to walk them through the debris and rubble. I fall into the latter of these groups, travelling regularly to places in the UK and in Europe, seeking out vast power stations and their cooling towers, steel works, mines, bunkers, tunnels, schools, engine sheds, hotels, castles and a myriad of other buildings. All have their own stories to tell in a variety of voices, and without the distraction, sounds and people who inhabited them, those stories are clear and strong and the character of the building is laid bare.
My photography has been featured in the UK national press and magazine publications.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- A CASTLE ALMANAC 13,560 photos, 1,449 members
- Landscapes with Atmosphere 391,045 photos, 14,165 members
- Iceland. 236,220 photos, 10,052 members
- Icelandair 5,394 photos, 563 members
- Íslenskir fossar - Icelandic waterfalls 11,955 photos, 1,747 members
- Inspired By Iceland 43,895 photos, 1,872 members
- Íslenskir ljósmyndarar - Icelandic photographers 146,846 photos, 2,773 members
- 5000 reasons for travelling to Iceland 4,078 photos, 2,372 members
- Urban Exploration in Iceland 546 photos, 108 members
- Natural Landscapes 18,242 photos, 4,880 members
- National Trust properties in Sussex 3,511 photos, 191 members
- Sony A7, A7II, A7R, A7RII with Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander M-mount 21,131 photos, 1,317 members
- A LONG WALK IN BRITAIN 63,598 photos, 2,684 members
- Sony A7RII Images 21,963 photos, 607 members
- Sony A7 A7r A7s A7ii A7rii A7sii A7riii A7iii 67,877 photos, 2,095 members
- Sony α7R II 38,966 photos, 2,069 members
- SONY A7RII 60,769 photos, 2,641 members
- Underground, The Wondrous 666 photos, 126 members
- European folly gardens 1,896 photos, 18 members
- A. LOST WORLD 75,259 photos, 5,817 members
- Awesome.Photography 21,892 photos, 370 members
- High Class Photography (invite only) 44,546 photos, 1,573 members
- urban explorers 322,964 photos, 10,604 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 955,433 photos, 15,905 members
- MAS DE 100 FAVORITAS 84,947 photos, 1,704 members
- Beautiful Hell 16,393 photos, 3,046 members
- TRANSCENDENTAL 17,307 photos, 1,936 members
- Strictly Symmetrical UrbEx 6,486 photos, 297 members
- Belgium Trip 2015 46 photos, 5 members
- windows! 2,970 photos, 110 members
- World Reflections 6,074 photos, 188 members
- Pentax 645D/645Z 9,577 photos, 1,085 members
- Skancheli (BlackandWhite Only) 91,339 photos, 8,444 members
- Tirluniau Cymru / Welsh Landscapes 1,096 photos, 103 members
- DIPLOFOCUS ( The Best Of ) 4,019 photos, 1,188 members
- Fine Art Photography (Curated) 1,633 photos, 1,345 members
- ITALY 2015 - Hide and Seek Tour 72 photos, 4 members
- Urban Ideal Magazine 3,175 photos, 685 members
- DIPLOFOCUS 21,534 photos, 874 members
- Urbex & Infiltration - EUROPE 25,528 photos, 495 members
- DazzlePix ARCHITECTURE 4,804 photos, 338 members
- PENTAX RICOH K-MOUNT DIGITAL CAMERA USERS (3p.Day) 307,898 photos, 5,379 members
- RUSTY STUFF 27,871 photos, 1,768 members
- Streets Worldwide - It's the street that matters! 24,697 photos, 1,534 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 39,454 photos, 5,034 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 746,734 photos, 15,861 members
- architecture pro 57,110 photos, 1,199 members
- Flickr Social 454,785 photos, 10,326 members
- Pentax 645 DSLRs with 67 lenses 515 photos, 155 members
- Pentax 645z 1,260 photos, 184 members
"Matt’s style of photography captures and inspires the imagination of all his followers.
His photos are stunning on so many levels, the intricate detail hidden in the shadows, the artistic symmetry in his shots.
Matt is very knowledgeable and approachable, his work has been published in mainstream magazines and now sells to collectors around the globe."
January 5th, 2013
zonked cannon says:
"A really nice guy, and very talented with photoshop.
A liberal from the UK, but he's young and I hold out great hope for him.
Muddy is a fun guy to spar with, and he does (unlike many) have an honest integrity about him."
July 7th, 2008
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Designer (Toys)
- Forgotten Heritage Photography