‘No entry'; 'access strictly prohibited’; ‘trespassers will be prosecuted'; common sights on perimeter fences around many of this country's forgotten buildings or abandoned industrial sites. In some cases warnings of the potential dangers contained within or an ineffective deterrent against thieves and vandals. To the urban explorer / photographer these signs are the proverbial 'red rag' and serve to whet the appetite for the promise of hidden wonders that may lie beyond.
For those that ignore the warnings and climb the fences, what awaits is usually worth the risks. Vast industrial spaces that feel more like an alien landscape or a poignant residential setting slowly surrenders to the inexorable advance of nature. Places once alive with sound and movement, now silent and still but no less sensory. Immense and powerful beauty resides in these forgotten places.
For some, just getting inside a location to experience this alternative form of sightseeing, is enough to satiate the desire to go where the powers that be tell us we shouldn't. But for others there is a need to capture the spirit of a location in words and pictures, giving others a metaphorical ‘leg-up’ over the fences and to walk them through the debris and rubble. I fall into the latter of these groups, travelling regularly to places in the UK and in Europe, seeking out vast power stations and their cooling towers, steel works, mines, bunkers, tunnels, schools, engine sheds, hotels, castles and a myriad of other buildings. All have their own stories to tell in a variety of voices, and without the distraction, sounds and people who inhabited them, those stories are clear and strong and the character of the building is laid bare.
My photography has been featured in the UK national press and magazine publications.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- A CASTLE ALMANAC 11,449 photos, 1,316 members
- Landscapes with Atmosphere 382,501 photos, 13,952 members
- Iceland. 234,199 photos, 9,983 members
- Icelandair 5,299 photos, 562 members
- Íslenskir fossar - Icelandic waterfalls 11,876 photos, 1,742 members
- Inspired By Iceland 43,368 photos, 1,853 members
- Íslenskir ljósmyndarar - Icelandic photographers 146,523 photos, 2,777 members
- 5000 reasons for travelling to Iceland 4,078 photos, 2,366 members
- Urban Exploration in Iceland 546 photos, 107 members
- Natural Landscapes 18,320 photos, 4,884 members
- National Trust properties in Sussex 3,332 photos, 185 members
- Sony A7, A7II, A7R, A7RII with Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander M-mount 20,945 photos, 1,322 members
- A LONG WALK 60,898 photos, 2,698 members
- Sony A7RII Images 22,110 photos, 603 members
- Sony A7 A7r A7s A7ii A7rii A7sii A7riii A7iii 65,379 photos, 2,029 members
- Sony α7R II 38,049 photos, 2,031 members
- SONY A7RII 60,647 photos, 2,599 members
- Underground, The Wondrous 654 photos, 124 members
- European folly gardens 1,826 photos, 18 members
- A. LOST WORLD 73,936 photos, 5,752 members
- Awesome.Photography 22,193 photos, 370 members
- High Class Photography (invite only) - No 30/60 limit 41,986 photos, 1,481 members
- urban explorers 323,935 photos, 10,599 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 941,456 photos, 15,643 members
- MAS DE 100 FAVORITAS 84,592 photos, 1,709 members
- Beautiful Hell 16,337 photos, 3,046 members
- TRANSCENDENTAL 16,595 photos, 1,873 members
- Strictly Symmetrical UrbEx 6,472 photos, 297 members
- Belgium Trip 2015 66 photos, 5 members
- windows! 2,954 photos, 111 members
- World Reflections 6,112 photos, 188 members
- Pentax 645D/645Z 9,391 photos, 1,074 members
- Skancheli (BlackandWhite Only) 90,932 photos, 8,328 members
- Tirluniau Cymru / Welsh Landscapes 1,096 photos, 103 members
- DIPLOFOCUS ( The Best Of ) 3,978 photos, 1,192 members
- Fine Art Photography (Curated) 1,551 photos, 1,303 members
- ITALY 2015 - Hide and Seek Tour 72 photos, 4 members
- Urban Ideal Magazine 3,247 photos, 686 members
- DIPLOFOCUS 21,438 photos, 876 members
- Urbex & Infiltration - EUROPE 25,196 photos, 489 members
- DazzlePix ARCHITECTURE 4,762 photos, 338 members
- PENTAX RICOH K-MOUNT DIGITAL CAMERA USERS (3p.Day) 306,894 photos, 5,371 members
- RUSTY STUFF 27,779 photos, 1,765 members
- Streets Worldwide - It's the street that matters! 23,579 photos, 1,472 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 39,863 photos, 5,037 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 743,459 photos, 15,855 members
- architecture pro 56,488 photos, 1,191 members
- Flickr Social 448,030 photos, 10,170 members
- Pentax 645 DSLRs with 67 lenses 506 photos, 154 members
- Pentax 645z 1,262 photos, 186 members
"Matt’s style of photography captures and inspires the imagination of all his followers.
His photos are stunning on so many levels, the intricate detail hidden in the shadows, the artistic symmetry in his shots.
Matt is very knowledgeable and approachable, his work has been published in mainstream magazines and now sells to collectors around the globe."
January 5th, 2013
zonked cannon says:
"A really nice guy, and very talented with photoshop.
A liberal from the UK, but he's young and I hold out great hope for him.
Muddy is a fun guy to spar with, and he does (unlike many) have an honest integrity about him."
July 7th, 2008
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Designer (Toys)
- Forgotten Heritage Photography