‘No entry'; 'access strictly prohibited’; ‘trespassers will be prosecuted'; common sights on perimeter fences around many of this country's forgotten buildings or abandoned industrial sites. In some cases warnings of the potential dangers contained within or an ineffective deterrent against thieves and vandals. To the urban explorer / photographer these signs are the proverbial 'red rag' and serve to whet the appetite for the promise of hidden wonders that may lie beyond.
For those that ignore the warnings and climb the fences, what awaits is usually worth the risks. Vast industrial spaces that feel more like an alien landscape or a poignant residential setting slowly surrenders to the inexorable advance of nature. Places once alive with sound and movement, now silent and still but no less sensory. Immense and powerful beauty resides in these forgotten places.
For some, just getting inside a location to experience this alternative form of sightseeing, is enough to satiate the desire to go where the powers that be tell us we shouldn't. But for others there is a need to capture the spirit of a location in words and pictures, giving others a metaphorical ‘leg-up’ over the fences and to walk them through the debris and rubble. I fall into the latter of these groups, travelling regularly to places in the UK and in Europe, seeking out vast power stations and their cooling towers, steel works, mines, bunkers, tunnels, schools, engine sheds, hotels, castles and a myriad of other buildings. All have their own stories to tell in a variety of voices, and without the distraction, sounds and people who inhabited them, those stories are clear and strong and the character of the building is laid bare.
My photography has been featured in the UK national press and magazine publications.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- European folly gardens 1,429 photos, 16 members
- A.C.M C. . 20,045 photos, 2,408 members
- Awesome.Photography 3,083 photos, 219 members
- High Class Photography (invite only) 12,296 photos, 690 members
- urban explorers 273,863 photos, 9,934 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 351,928 photos, 7,504 members
- MAS DE 100 FAVORITAS 43,374 photos, 1,480 members
- Beautiful Hell 7,981 photos, 2,824 members
- TRANSCENDENTAL 4,117 photos, 686 members
- Strictly Symmetrical UrbEx 4,616 photos, 270 members
- Belgium Trip 2015 57 photos, 5 members
- windows! 673 photos, 111 members
- World Reflections 2,692 photos, 183 members
- Pentax 645D/645Z 6,436 photos, 886 members
- Skancheli (Black&White Only) 66,927 photos, 5,461 members
- Tirluniau Cymru / Welsh Landscapes 1,103 photos, 101 members
- DIPLOFOCUS ( The Best Of ) 2,492 photos, 1,147 members
- Fine Art Photography (Curated) 1,013 photos, 723 members
- ITALY 2015 - Hide and Seek Tour 72 photos, 4 members
- Urban Ideal Magazine 3,473 photos, 706 members
- DIPLOFOCUS 14,440 photos, 931 members
- Urbex & Infiltration - EUROPE 12,725 photos, 374 members
- DazzlePix ARCHITECTURE 3,720 photos, 309 members
- PENTAX RICOH K-MOUNT DIGITAL CAMERA USERS (3p.Day) 253,191 photos, 5,083 members
- RUSTY STUFF 23,974 photos, 1,619 members
- Streets Worldwide 11,304 photos, 874 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 41,111 photos, 5,114 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 454,581 photos, 12,967 members
- architecture pro 30,836 photos, 931 members
- Flickr Social 150,105 photos, 5,549 members
- Pentax 645 DSLRs with 67 lenses 290 photos, 96 members
- Pentax 645z 767 photos, 123 members
- Ricoh Pentax 645Z 2,817 photos, 443 members
- MOUNTAIN 74,155 photos, 7,681 members
- Light Painted Tunnels 3,294 photos, 829 members
- General Enthusiasts - Open House London 2014 Photography Comp 458 photos, 225 members
- In movimento 8,141 photos, 561 members
- ** The Photographer's Craft 1,266 photos, 185 members
- !!Pentax K-3!! 61,460 photos, 1,393 members
- NEOPRIME: TALENTPOOL 13,190 photos, 844 members
- Ten Truthful Things 1,037 photos, 1,096 members
- If You Leave 12,710 photos, 5,377 members
- Angoli di borghi e città 50,373 photos, 2,208 members
- (Officially) England's Best Buildings 54,544 photos, 1,302 members
- Yahoo Picture Of The Day 5,850 photos, 2,868 members
- Victorian Architecture 25,449 photos, 1,249 members
- sedge808's faves 7,690 photos, 234 members
- Through A Glass... 950 photos, 177 members
- Battersea Past & Present 1,505 photos, 213 members
- Archive of the world 901 photos, 13 members
"Matt’s style of photography captures and inspires the imagination of all his followers.
His photos are stunning on so many levels, the intricate detail hidden in the shadows, the artistic symmetry in his shots.
Matt is very knowledgeable and approachable, his work has been published in mainstream magazines and now sells to collectors around the globe."
January 5th, 2013
nyctreeman - says:
"A really nice guy, and very talented with photoshop.
A liberal from the UK, but he's young and I hold out great hope for him.
Muddy is a fun guy to spar with, and he does (unlike many) have an honest integrity about him."
July 7th, 2008
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Designer (Toys)
- Forgotten Heritage Photography