‘No entry'; 'access strictly prohibited’; ‘trespassers will be prosecuted'; common sights on perimeter fences around many of this country's forgotten buildings or abandoned industrial sites. In some cases warnings of the potential dangers contained within or an ineffective deterrent against thieves and vandals. To the urban explorer / photographer these signs are the proverbial 'red rag' and serve to whet the appetite for the promise of hidden wonders that may lie beyond.
For those that ignore the warnings and climb the fences, what awaits is usually worth the risks. Vast industrial spaces that feel more like an alien landscape or a poignant residential setting slowly surrenders to the inexorable advance of nature. Places once alive with sound and movement, now silent and still but no less sensory. Immense and powerful beauty resides in these forgotten places.
For some, just getting inside a location to experience this alternative form of sightseeing, is enough to satiate the desire to go where the powers that be tell us we shouldn't. But for others there is a need to capture the spirit of a location in words and pictures, giving others a metaphorical ‘leg-up’ over the fences and to walk them through the debris and rubble. I fall into the latter of these groups, travelling regularly to places in the UK and in Europe, seeking out vast power stations and their cooling towers, steel works, mines, bunkers, tunnels, schools, engine sheds, hotels, castles and a myriad of other buildings. All have their own stories to tell in a variety of voices, and without the distraction, sounds and people who inhabited them, those stories are clear and strong and the character of the building is laid bare.
My photography has been featured in the UK national press and magazine publications.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- Underground, The Wondrous 140 photos, 86 members
- European folly gardens 1,429 photos, 16 members
- A.C.M C. . 22,113 photos, 2,575 members
- Awesome.Photography 3,972 photos, 238 members
- High Class Photography (invite only) 13,454 photos, 727 members
- urban explorers 276,210 photos, 9,967 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 370,345 photos, 7,701 members
- MAS DE 100 FAVORITAS 46,169 photos, 1,531 members
- Beautiful Hell 8,496 photos, 2,848 members
- TRANSCENDENTAL 4,381 photos, 715 members
- Strictly Symmetrical UrbEx 4,697 photos, 270 members
- Belgium Trip 2015 60 photos, 5 members
- windows! 724 photos, 112 members
- World Reflections 2,805 photos, 185 members
- Pentax 645D/645Z 6,518 photos, 895 members
- Skancheli (Black&White Only) 67,371 photos, 5,508 members
- Tirluniau Cymru / Welsh Landscapes 1,103 photos, 101 members
- DIPLOFOCUS ( The Best Of ) 2,540 photos, 1,151 members
- Fine Art Photography (Curated) 1,040 photos, 734 members
- ITALY 2015 - Hide and Seek Tour 72 photos, 4 members
- Urban Ideal Magazine 3,469 photos, 705 members
- DIPLOFOCUS 14,820 photos, 930 members
- Urbex & Infiltration - EUROPE 13,325 photos, 384 members
- DazzlePix ARCHITECTURE 3,736 photos, 310 members
- PENTAX RICOH K-MOUNT DIGITAL CAMERA USERS (3p.Day) 255,717 photos, 5,099 members
- RUSTY STUFF 24,087 photos, 1,621 members
- Streets Worldwide 11,825 photos, 889 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 41,081 photos, 5,114 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 467,106 photos, 13,122 members
- architecture pro 31,905 photos, 940 members
- Flickr Social 160,979 photos, 5,712 members
- Pentax 645 DSLRs with 67 lenses 299 photos, 97 members
- Pentax 645z 763 photos, 126 members
- Ricoh Pentax 645Z 2,886 photos, 448 members
- MOUNTAIN 78,747 photos, 8,009 members
- Light Painted Tunnels 3,290 photos, 832 members
- General Enthusiasts - Open House London 2014 Photography Comp 458 photos, 225 members
- In movimento 8,367 photos, 561 members
- ** The Photographer's Craft 1,260 photos, 184 members
- !!Pentax K-3!! 62,969 photos, 1,408 members
- NEOPRIME: TALENTPOOL 13,527 photos, 851 members
- Ten Truthful Things 1,036 photos, 1,096 members
- If You Leave 12,883 photos, 5,436 members
- Angoli di borghi e città 51,545 photos, 2,216 members
- (Officially) England's Best Buildings 54,818 photos, 1,304 members
- Yahoo Picture Of The Day 5,835 photos, 2,875 members
- Victorian Architecture 25,608 photos, 1,251 members
- sedge808's faves 7,757 photos, 236 members
- Through A Glass... 935 photos, 176 members
- Battersea Past & Present 1,507 photos, 214 members
"Matt’s style of photography captures and inspires the imagination of all his followers.
His photos are stunning on so many levels, the intricate detail hidden in the shadows, the artistic symmetry in his shots.
Matt is very knowledgeable and approachable, his work has been published in mainstream magazines and now sells to collectors around the globe."
January 5th, 2013
nyctreeman - says:
"A really nice guy, and very talented with photoshop.
A liberal from the UK, but he's young and I hold out great hope for him.
Muddy is a fun guy to spar with, and he does (unlike many) have an honest integrity about him."
July 7th, 2008
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Designer (Toys)
- Forgotten Heritage Photography