‘No entry'; 'access strictly prohibited’; ‘trespassers will be prosecuted'; common sights on perimeter fences around many of this country's forgotten buildings or abandoned industrial sites. In some cases warnings of the potential dangers contained within or an ineffective deterrent against thieves and vandals. To the urban explorer / photographer these signs are the proverbial 'red rag' and serve to whet the appetite for the promise of hidden wonders that may lie beyond.
For those that ignore the warnings and climb the fences, what awaits is usually worth the risks. Vast industrial spaces that feel more like an alien landscape or a poignant residential setting slowly surrenders to the inexorable advance of nature. Places once alive with sound and movement, now silent and still but no less sensory. Immense and powerful beauty resides in these forgotten places.
For some, just getting inside a location to experience this alternative form of sightseeing, is enough to satiate the desire to go where the powers that be tell us we shouldn't. But for others there is a need to capture the spirit of a location in words and pictures, giving others a metaphorical ‘leg-up’ over the fences and to walk them through the debris and rubble. I fall into the latter of these groups, travelling regularly to places in the UK and in Europe, seeking out vast power stations and their cooling towers, steel works, mines, bunkers, tunnels, schools, engine sheds, hotels, castles and a myriad of other buildings. All have their own stories to tell in a variety of voices, and without the distraction, sounds and people who inhabited them, those stories are clear and strong and the character of the building is laid bare.
My photography has been featured in the UK national press and magazine publications.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- High Class Photography (invite only) 2,097 photos, 264 members
- urban explorers 258,223 photos, 9,710 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 227,825 photos, 5,933 members
- MAS DE 100 FAVORITAS 22,423 photos, 1,058 members
- Beautiful Hell 4,200 photos, 2,432 members
- TRANSCENDENTAL 1,856 photos, 391 members
- Strictly Symmetrical UrbEx 3,877 photos, 257 members
- Belgium Trip 2015 55 photos, 5 members
- windows! 507 photos, 108 members
- World Reflections 1,675 photos, 172 members
- Pentax 645D/645Z 5,572 photos, 801 members
- Skancheli (Black&White Only) 60,770 photos, 4,977 members
- Tirluniau Cymru / Welsh Landscapes 1,105 photos, 99 members
- DIPLOFOCUS ( The Best Of ) 1,984 photos, 1,132 members
- Fine Art Photography (Curated) 780 photos, 533 members
- ITALY 2015 - Hide and Seek Tour 72 photos, 4 members
- Urban Ideal 3,047 photos, 616 members
- DIPLOFOCUS 10,924 photos, 907 members
- Urbex & Infiltration - EUROPE 8,142 photos, 332 members
- DazzlePix ARCHITECTURE 3,425 photos, 296 members
- PENTAX RICOH K-MOUNT DIGITAL CAMERA USERS (3p.Day) 234,428 photos, 4,941 members
- RUSTY STUFF 22,801 photos, 1,554 members
- Streets Worldwide 6,659 photos, 636 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 41,352 photos, 5,121 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 362,777 photos, 11,986 members
- architecture pro 22,113 photos, 801 members
- Flickr Social 78,204 photos, 3,781 members
- Pentax 645 DSLRs with 67 lenses 199 photos, 75 members
- Pentax 645z 273 photos, 116 members
- Ricoh Pentax 645Z 2,248 photos, 360 members
- A RIVER.. 49,420 photos, 4,736 members
- Light Painted Tunnels 3,251 photos, 803 members
- General Enthusiasts - Open House London 2014 Photography Comp 457 photos, 226 members
- In movimento 6,684 photos, 556 members
- ** The Photographer's Craft 1,221 photos, 187 members
- !!Pentax K-3!! 48,491 photos, 1,258 members
- NEOPRIME: TALENTPOOL 10,291 photos, 780 members
- Ten Truthful Things 1,041 photos, 1,100 members
- If You Leave 10,570 photos, 4,961 members
- Angoli di borghi e città 40,164 photos, 2,058 members
- (Officially) England's Best Buildings 52,472 photos, 1,265 members
- Yahoo Picture Of The Day 5,750 photos, 2,882 members
- Victorian Architecture 23,352 photos, 1,199 members
- sedge808's faves 7,383 photos, 235 members
- Through A Glass... 861 photos, 170 members
- Battersea Past & Present 1,475 photos, 210 members
- Archive of the world 697 photos, 13 members
- My time behind the lens 123,231 photos, 1,167 members
- Post-Processing Anonymous ( P.P.A ) 16,567 photos, 472 members
- * 99+ favorites 12,468 photos, 870 members
"Matt’s style of photography captures and inspires the imagination of all his followers.
His photos are stunning on so many levels, the intricate detail hidden in the shadows, the artistic symmetry in his shots.
Matt is very knowledgeable and approachable, his work has been published in mainstream magazines and now sells to collectors around the globe."
January 5th, 2013
nyctreeman - says:
"A really nice guy, and very talented with photoshop.
A liberal from the UK, but he's young and I hold out great hope for him.
Muddy is a fun guy to spar with, and he does (unlike many) have an honest integrity about him."
July 7th, 2008
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Designer (Toys)
- Forgotten Heritage Photography