‘No entry'; 'access strictly prohibited’; ‘trespassers will be prosecuted'; common sights on perimeter fences around many of this country's forgotten buildings or abandoned industrial sites. In some cases warnings of the potential dangers contained within or an ineffective deterrent against thieves and vandals. To the urban explorer / photographer these signs are the proverbial 'red rag' and serve to whet the appetite for the promise of hidden wonders that may lie beyond.
For those that ignore the warnings and climb the fences, what awaits is usually worth the risks. Vast industrial spaces that feel more like an alien landscape or a poignant residential setting slowly surrenders to the inexorable advance of nature. Places once alive with sound and movement, now silent and still but no less sensory. Immense and powerful beauty resides in these forgotten places.
For some, just getting inside a location to experience this alternative form of sightseeing, is enough to satiate the desire to go where the powers that be tell us we shouldn't. But for others there is a need to capture the spirit of a location in words and pictures, giving others a metaphorical ‘leg-up’ over the fences and to walk them through the debris and rubble. I fall into the latter of these groups, travelling regularly to places in the UK and in Europe, seeking out vast power stations and their cooling towers, steel works, mines, bunkers, tunnels, schools, engine sheds, hotels, castles and a myriad of other buildings. All have their own stories to tell in a variety of voices, and without the distraction, sounds and people who inhabited them, those stories are clear and strong and the character of the building is laid bare.
My photography has been featured in the UK national press and magazine publications.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- Pentax 645D/645Z 4,708 photos, 667 members
- Skancheli (Black&White Only) 48,884 photos, 4,110 members
- Tirluniau Cymru / Welsh Landscapes 1,106 photos, 99 members
- DIPLOFOCUS ( The Best Of ) 1,417 photos, 895 members
- Fine Art Photography (Curated) 635 photos, 371 members
- ITALY 2015 - Hide and Seek Tour 67 photos, 4 members
- Urban Ideal 1,695 photos, 410 members
- DIPLOFOCUS 6,959 photos, 882 members
- Urbex & Infiltration - EUROPE 3,823 photos, 254 members
- DazzlePix ARCHITECTURE 3,188 photos, 280 members
- PENTAX RICOH K-MOUNT DIGITAL CAMERA USERS (3p.Day) 220,133 photos, 4,750 members
- RUSTY STUFF 22,102 photos, 1,498 members
- Streets Worldwide 3,181 photos, 386 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 41,607 photos, 5,119 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 275,927 photos, 10,361 members
- architecture pro 12,694 photos, 605 members
- Flickr Social 31,257 photos, 1,846 members
- Pentax 645 DSLRs with 67 lenses 152 photos, 48 members
- Pentax 645z 273 photos, 102 members
- Ricoh Pentax 645Z 1,699 photos, 279 members
- C is for... 34,785 photos, 3,629 members
- Light Painted Tunnels 3,143 photos, 757 members
- General Enthusiasts - Open House London 2014 Photography Comp 456 photos, 230 members
- In movimento 5,099 photos, 551 members
- ** The Photographer's Craft 1,132 photos, 186 members
- !!Pentax K-3!! 36,423 photos, 1,117 members
- NEOPRIME: TALENTPOOL 6,872 photos, 647 members
- Ten Truthful Things 1,059 photos, 1,090 members
- IYL Showcase - 2015 10,005 photos, 4,805 members
- Angoli di borghi e città 30,427 photos, 1,802 members
- (Officially) England's Best Buildings 51,146 photos, 1,225 members
- Yahoo Picture Of The Day 5,819 photos, 2,880 members
- Victorian Architecture 22,168 photos, 1,158 members
- sedge808's faves 6,495 photos, 218 members
- Through A Glass... 772 photos, 161 members
- Battersea Past & Present 1,535 photos, 209 members
- Archive of the world 544 photos, 13 members
- My time behind the lens 91,450 photos, 971 members
- Post-Processing Anonymous ( P.P.A ) 16,433 photos, 464 members
- * 99+ favorites 9,261 photos, 842 members
- British Industrial Heritage 2,437 photos, 49 members
- All Things ~*Earthy*~ 108,650 photos, 5,940 members
- Power Stations 10,275 photos, 1,989 members
- Battersea Power Station 3,890 photos, 792 members
- francexploration 28,481 photos, 892 members
- Industrial Decay 137,653 photos, 9,568 members
- The GUT's Gallery 1,050 photos, 260 members
- Trespassing 74,700 photos, 1,959 members
- Entrance to Hell 3,604 photos, 17,030 members
- Best Images Ever (ADMIN Approval Only | Award 2 or More) 85,067 photos, 3,960 members
"Matt’s style of photography captures and inspires the imagination of all his followers.
His photos are stunning on so many levels, the intricate detail hidden in the shadows, the artistic symmetry in his shots.
Matt is very knowledgeable and approachable, his work has been published in mainstream magazines and now sells to collectors around the globe."
January 5th, 2013
nyctreeman - says:
"A really nice guy, and very talented with photoshop.
A liberal from the UK, but he's young and I hold out great hope for him.
Muddy is a fun guy to spar with, and he does (unlike many) have an honest integrity about him."
July 7th, 2008
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Designer (Toys)
- Forgotten Heritage Photography