‘No entry'; 'access strictly prohibited’; ‘trespassers will be prosecuted'; common sights on perimeter fences around many of this country's forgotten buildings or abandoned industrial sites. In some cases warnings of the potential dangers contained within or an ineffective deterrent against thieves and vandals. To the urban explorer / photographer these signs are the proverbial 'red rag' and serve to whet the appetite for the promise of hidden wonders that may lie beyond.
For those that ignore the warnings and climb the fences, what awaits is usually worth the risks. Vast industrial spaces that feel more like an alien landscape or a poignant residential setting slowly surrenders to the inexorable advance of nature. Places once alive with sound and movement, now silent and still but no less sensory. Immense and powerful beauty resides in these forgotten places.
For some, just getting inside a location to experience this alternative form of sightseeing, is enough to satiate the desire to go where the powers that be tell us we shouldn't. But for others there is a need to capture the spirit of a location in words and pictures, giving others a metaphorical ‘leg-up’ over the fences and to walk them through the debris and rubble. I fall into the latter of these groups, travelling regularly to places in the UK and in Europe, seeking out vast power stations and their cooling towers, steel works, mines, bunkers, tunnels, schools, engine sheds, hotels, castles and a myriad of other buildings. All have their own stories to tell in a variety of voices, and without the distraction, sounds and people who inhabited them, those stories are clear and strong and the character of the building is laid bare.
My photography has been featured in the UK national press and magazine publications.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- urbexers 93,356 photos, 2,393 members
- Sony A7RII Images 12,283 photos, 442 members
- Sony A7 A7r A7s A7ii A7rii A7sii 28,771 photos, 1,135 members
- Sony α7R II 15,366 photos, 1,059 members
- SONY A7RII 25,632 photos, 1,513 members
- Underground, The Wondrous 211 photos, 103 members
- European folly gardens 1,466 photos, 16 members
- A.C.M C. .BRITAIN 36,945 photos, 4,100 members
- Awesome.Photography 8,846 photos, 293 members
- High Class Photography (invite only) 19,577 photos, 857 members
- urban explorers 288,125 photos, 10,176 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 480,554 photos, 9,465 members
- MAS DE 100 FAVORITAS 56,688 photos, 1,616 members
- Beautiful Hell 11,347 photos, 2,947 members
- TRANSCENDENTAL 6,671 photos, 1,006 members
- Strictly Symmetrical UrbEx 5,330 photos, 287 members
- Belgium Trip 2015 65 photos, 5 members
- windows! 1,617 photos, 115 members
- World Reflections 4,225 photos, 191 members
- Pentax 645D/645Z 7,206 photos, 949 members
- Skancheli (BlackandWhite Only) 73,425 photos, 6,123 members
- Tirluniau Cymru / Welsh Landscapes 1,097 photos, 99 members
- DIPLOFOCUS ( The Best Of ) 3,021 photos, 1,177 members
- Fine Art Photography (Curated) 1,124 photos, 843 members
- ITALY 2015 - Hide and Seek Tour 72 photos, 4 members
- Urban Ideal Magazine 3,419 photos, 710 members
- DIPLOFOCUS 16,664 photos, 916 members
- Urbex & Infiltration - EUROPE 16,359 photos, 419 members
- DazzlePix ARCHITECTURE 3,922 photos, 316 members
- PENTAX RICOH K-MOUNT DIGITAL CAMERA USERS (3p.Day) 269,377 photos, 5,193 members
- RUSTY STUFF 24,908 photos, 1,656 members
- Streets Worldwide - It's the street that counts! 14,535 photos, 1,006 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 40,943 photos, 5,109 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 537,372 photos, 13,907 members
- architecture pro 37,793 photos, 1,013 members
- Flickr Social 221,976 photos, 6,707 members
- Pentax 645 DSLRs with 67 lenses 373 photos, 117 members
- Pentax 645z 763 photos, 146 members
- Ricoh Pentax 645Z 3,452 photos, 501 members
- MOUNTAIN 103,039 photos, 9,941 members
- Light Painted Tunnels 3,390 photos, 856 members
- General Enthusiasts - Open House London 2014 Photography Comp 458 photos, 222 members
- In movimento 10,009 photos, 565 members
- ** The Photographer's Craft 1,240 photos, 178 members
- !!Pentax K-3!! 70,499 photos, 1,493 members
- NEOPRIME: TALENTPOOL 15,228 photos, 880 members
- Ten Truthful Things 1,022 photos, 1,091 members
- If You Leave - Open Submissions 13,331 photos, 5,596 members
- Angoli di borghi e città 60,343 photos, 2,351 members
- (Officially) England's Best Buildings 56,046 photos, 1,320 members
"Matt’s style of photography captures and inspires the imagination of all his followers.
His photos are stunning on so many levels, the intricate detail hidden in the shadows, the artistic symmetry in his shots.
Matt is very knowledgeable and approachable, his work has been published in mainstream magazines and now sells to collectors around the globe."
January 5th, 2013
nyctreeman - says:
"A really nice guy, and very talented with photoshop.
A liberal from the UK, but he's young and I hold out great hope for him.
Muddy is a fun guy to spar with, and he does (unlike many) have an honest integrity about him."
July 7th, 2008
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Designer (Toys)
- Forgotten Heritage Photography