‘No entry'; 'access strictly prohibited’; ‘trespassers will be prosecuted'; common sights on perimeter fences around many of this country's forgotten buildings or abandoned industrial sites. In some cases warnings of the potential dangers contained within or an ineffective deterrent against thieves and vandals. To the urban explorer / photographer these signs are the proverbial 'red rag' and serve to whet the appetite for the promise of hidden wonders that may lie beyond.
For those that ignore the warnings and climb the fences, what awaits is usually worth the risks. Vast industrial spaces that feel more like an alien landscape or a poignant residential setting slowly surrenders to the inexorable advance of nature. Places once alive with sound and movement, now silent and still but no less sensory. Immense and powerful beauty resides in these forgotten places.
For some, just getting inside a location to experience this alternative form of sightseeing, is enough to satiate the desire to go where the powers that be tell us we shouldn't. But for others there is a need to capture the spirit of a location in words and pictures, giving others a metaphorical ‘leg-up’ over the fences and to walk them through the debris and rubble. I fall into the latter of these groups, travelling regularly to places in the UK and in Europe, seeking out vast power stations and their cooling towers, steel works, mines, bunkers, tunnels, schools, engine sheds, hotels, castles and a myriad of other buildings. All have their own stories to tell in a variety of voices, and without the distraction, sounds and people who inhabited them, those stories are clear and strong and the character of the building is laid bare.
My photography has been featured in the UK national press and magazine publications.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- urbexers 91,560 photos, 2,360 members
- Sony A7RII Images 11,316 photos, 427 members
- Sony A7 A7r A7s A7ii A7rii A7sii 26,967 photos, 1,093 members
- Sony α7R II 14,127 photos, 984 members
- SONY A7RII 23,917 photos, 1,429 members
- Underground, The Wondrous 189 photos, 102 members
- European folly gardens 1,454 photos, 16 members
- A.C.M C. .BRITAIN 33,314 photos, 3,671 members
- Awesome.Photography 7,479 photos, 281 members
- High Class Photography (invite only) 17,920 photos, 818 members
- urban explorers 285,119 photos, 10,118 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 452,501 photos, 8,871 members
- MAS DE 100 FAVORITAS 54,060 photos, 1,589 members
- Beautiful Hell 10,635 photos, 2,921 members
- TRANSCENDENTAL 6,039 photos, 914 members
- Strictly Symmetrical UrbEx 5,167 photos, 282 members
- Belgium Trip 2015 65 photos, 5 members
- windows! 1,341 photos, 113 members
- World Reflections 3,853 photos, 189 members
- Pentax 645D/645Z 7,062 photos, 937 members
- Skancheli (BlackandWhite Only) 71,485 photos, 5,932 members
- Tirluniau Cymru / Welsh Landscapes 1,103 photos, 99 members
- DIPLOFOCUS ( The Best Of ) 2,907 photos, 1,173 members
- Fine Art Photography (Curated) 1,106 photos, 811 members
- ITALY 2015 - Hide and Seek Tour 72 photos, 4 members
- Urban Ideal Magazine 3,449 photos, 713 members
- DIPLOFOCUS 16,183 photos, 918 members
- Urbex & Infiltration - EUROPE 15,401 photos, 413 members
- DazzlePix ARCHITECTURE 3,866 photos, 316 members
- PENTAX RICOH K-MOUNT DIGITAL CAMERA USERS (3p.Day) 266,991 photos, 5,171 members
- RUSTY STUFF 24,666 photos, 1,651 members
- Streets Worldwide - It's the street that counts! 13,813 photos, 974 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 40,999 photos, 5,109 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 520,452 photos, 13,667 members
- architecture pro 36,365 photos, 992 members
- Flickr Social 206,624 photos, 6,427 members
- Pentax 645 DSLRs with 67 lenses 361 photos, 114 members
- Pentax 645z 763 photos, 144 members
- Ricoh Pentax 645Z 3,316 photos, 490 members
- MOUNTAIN 97,439 photos, 9,513 members
- Light Painted Tunnels 3,367 photos, 850 members
- General Enthusiasts - Open House London 2014 Photography Comp 458 photos, 222 members
- In movimento 9,670 photos, 564 members
- ** The Photographer's Craft 1,246 photos, 180 members
- !!Pentax K-3!! 69,369 photos, 1,469 members
- NEOPRIME: TALENTPOOL 14,761 photos, 873 members
- Ten Truthful Things 1,024 photos, 1,093 members
- If You Leave Showcase Pool - 2016/17 13,361 photos, 5,480 members
- Angoli di borghi e città 57,986 photos, 2,314 members
- (Officially) England's Best Buildings 55,960 photos, 1,316 members
"Matt’s style of photography captures and inspires the imagination of all his followers.
His photos are stunning on so many levels, the intricate detail hidden in the shadows, the artistic symmetry in his shots.
Matt is very knowledgeable and approachable, his work has been published in mainstream magazines and now sells to collectors around the globe."
January 5th, 2013
nyctreeman - says:
"A really nice guy, and very talented with photoshop.
A liberal from the UK, but he's young and I hold out great hope for him.
Muddy is a fun guy to spar with, and he does (unlike many) have an honest integrity about him."
July 7th, 2008
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Designer (Toys)
- Forgotten Heritage Photography