‘No entry'; 'access strictly prohibited’; ‘trespassers will be prosecuted'; common sights on perimeter fences around many of this country's forgotten buildings or abandoned industrial sites. In some cases warnings of the potential dangers contained within or an ineffective deterrent against thieves and vandals. To the urban explorer / photographer these signs are the proverbial 'red rag' and serve to whet the appetite for the promise of hidden wonders that may lie beyond.
For those that ignore the warnings and climb the fences, what awaits is usually worth the risks. Vast industrial spaces that feel more like an alien landscape or a poignant residential setting slowly surrenders to the inexorable advance of nature. Places once alive with sound and movement, now silent and still but no less sensory. Immense and powerful beauty resides in these forgotten places.
For some, just getting inside a location to experience this alternative form of sightseeing, is enough to satiate the desire to go where the powers that be tell us we shouldn't. But for others there is a need to capture the spirit of a location in words and pictures, giving others a metaphorical ‘leg-up’ over the fences and to walk them through the debris and rubble. I fall into the latter of these groups, travelling regularly to places in the UK and in Europe, seeking out vast power stations and their cooling towers, steel works, mines, bunkers, tunnels, schools, engine sheds, hotels, castles and a myriad of other buildings. All have their own stories to tell in a variety of voices, and without the distraction, sounds and people who inhabited them, those stories are clear and strong and the character of the building is laid bare.
My photography has been featured in the UK national press and magazine publications.
create your own visited countries map
or vertaling Duits Nederlands
- MAS DE 100 FAVORITAS 7,209 photos, 376 members
- Beautiful Hell 1,621 photos, 1,260 members
- TRANSCENDENTAL 742 photos, 221 members
- Strictly Symmetrical UrbEx 3,626 photos, 252 members
- Belgium Trip 2015 44 photos, 5 members
- windows! 378 photos, 106 members
- World Reflections 1,214 photos, 165 members
- Pentax 645D/645Z 5,195 photos, 746 members
- Skancheli (Black&White Only) 55,766 photos, 4,625 members
- Tirluniau Cymru / Welsh Landscapes 1,105 photos, 99 members
- DIPLOFOCUS ( The Best Of ) 1,739 photos, 1,113 members
- Fine Art Photography (Curated) 729 photos, 471 members
- ITALY 2015 - Hide and Seek Tour 70 photos, 4 members
- Urban Ideal 2,534 photos, 525 members
- DIPLOFOCUS 9,408 photos, 902 members
- Urbex & Infiltration - EUROPE 6,371 photos, 307 members
- DazzlePix ARCHITECTURE 3,342 photos, 290 members
- PENTAX RICOH K-MOUNT DIGITAL CAMERA USERS (3p.Day) 227,891 photos, 4,867 members
- RUSTY STUFF 22,755 photos, 1,539 members
- Streets Worldwide 4,895 photos, 523 members
- The Gallery Of Fine Photography [DISCONTINUED] 41,415 photos, 5,113 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 326,725 photos, 11,264 members
- architecture pro 17,110 photos, 743 members
- Flickr Social 53,852 photos, 2,742 members
- Pentax 645 DSLRs with 67 lenses 172 photos, 62 members
- Pentax 645z 273 photos, 110 members
- Ricoh Pentax 645Z 1,955 photos, 321 members
- A Pillbox. 42,775 photos, 4,254 members
- Light Painted Tunnels 3,146 photos, 787 members
- General Enthusiasts - Open House London 2014 Photography Comp 457 photos, 227 members
- In movimento 5,894 photos, 554 members
- ** The Photographer's Craft 1,184 photos, 184 members
- !!Pentax K-3!! 44,111 photos, 1,190 members
- NEOPRIME: TALENTPOOL 8,848 photos, 725 members
- Ten Truthful Things 1,042 photos, 1,097 members
- If You Leave Showcase - 2015 9,914 photos, 4,764 members
- Angoli di borghi e città 35,842 photos, 1,964 members
- (Officially) England's Best Buildings 52,174 photos, 1,249 members
- Yahoo Picture Of The Day 5,762 photos, 2,879 members
- Victorian Architecture 22,812 photos, 1,183 members
- sedge808's faves 7,098 photos, 231 members
- Through A Glass... 808 photos, 165 members
- Battersea Past & Present 1,545 photos, 210 members
- Archive of the world 609 photos, 13 members
- My time behind the lens 110,163 photos, 1,083 members
- Post-Processing Anonymous ( P.P.A ) 16,350 photos, 468 members
- * 99+ favorites 11,309 photos, 839 members
- British Industrial Heritage 2,539 photos, 49 members
- All Things ~*Earthy*~ 111,388 photos, 6,046 members
- Power Stations 10,348 photos, 2,022 members
"Matt’s style of photography captures and inspires the imagination of all his followers.
His photos are stunning on so many levels, the intricate detail hidden in the shadows, the artistic symmetry in his shots.
Matt is very knowledgeable and approachable, his work has been published in mainstream magazines and now sells to collectors around the globe."
January 5th, 2013
nyctreeman - says:
"A really nice guy, and very talented with photoshop.
A liberal from the UK, but he's young and I hold out great hope for him.
Muddy is a fun guy to spar with, and he does (unlike many) have an honest integrity about him."
July 7th, 2008
- January 2007
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Designer (Toys)
- Forgotten Heritage Photography