Simply put, I love to take pictures of interesting or weird things to save them for later. Along the way I started to love taking pictures for their own sake too. And now I can't stop taking them. I have caught photographer disease and it turns out there's no cure.
I consider my body of work to be one gigantic self-portrait. Thinking about it, I consider others' to be the same.
Aside from photography, I am an artist in traditional get-your-hands-dirty media, and I just started work as the Japanese Studies Librarian at University of Pennsylvania. Before that, I was a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University working on the Digital Archive of Japan's 2011 Disasters. I have a PhD in Asian Languages & Cultures and an MSI in Library & Information Services from the University of Michigan.
I'm originally from Rochester, NY. Rochester makes even Seattle seem sunny and balmy; is my work imbued with dark, rusty subjects and deliberate underexposure because of that twilight landscape that chills to the bone year-round? Who knows. Honestly my favorite subject is trees, but I have to take photos of what's in front of me.
My photos reflect my recent rootlessness - they are from all over! I know my work in Japan overwhelms what I've taken in the US, so here's a quick rundown of my recent residences:
* 2013-present: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
* 2012-2013: Boston, Massachusetts
* 2006-2012: Ypsilanti, Michigan
* 2009-2010: Arakawa-ku, Tokyo; Japan Foundation Dissertation Research Fellow affiliated with Nihon Daigaku.
* 2007-2008: Kotobuki-cho, Naka-ku, Yokohama; Inter-University Center for Japanese Langauge Studies.
* 2004-2005: Rochester, New York
* 2003-2004: Shime-machi, Fukuoka; JET Programme ALT at Sue Prefectural High School.
* 1999-2003: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have a professional web site, and I finally registered www.non-euclidean.com which I am dubbing non-euclidean atelier (how fancy. how I have been in Japan too long). Nothing exciting up yet, but at least it has its own welcome picture and no longer redirects straight here!
By the way, that professional site - it's www.mollydesjardin.com. I have information about my career trajectory, background, research projects, and increasing number of blog posts. I also have an open access PDF copy of my dissertation, "Editing Identity: Literary Anthologies and the Construction of the Author in Meiji Japan."
If you want to talk about photography, art, commissions, prints, academics, or just whatever, get at me: email@example.com.
I used to have a more complete Japanese section but it's hopelessly out of date. Here's what remains.
- Unexpected objects in Unexpected places 734 photos, 98 members
- Powerlines With Clouds 2,668 photos, 400 members
- University of Pennsylvania 2,317 photos, 165 members
- the Spring Gardens 230 photos, 14 members
- South Philly 4,264 photos, 133 members
- Philly Railfan 1,827 photos, 77 members
- The Market-Frankford Line 347 photos, 59 members
- Center City - Philadelphia 26,700 photos, 548 members
- Philly 54,471 photos, 2,026 members
- Philadelphia Scenes 39,277 photos, 982 members
- Philadelphia, PA 59,824 photos, 1,604 members
- Hidden City Philadelphia 731 photos, 41 members
- Boathouse Row Philadelphia 427 photos, 89 members
- Fairmount Park 3,825 photos, 145 members
- Philadelphia Architecture 3,741 photos, 189 members
- Philly Photos 46,917 photos, 1,006 members
- Philadelphia Restaurants 332 photos, 69 members
- Broad Street Philadelphia 279 photos, 45 members
- Philadelphia: the Good, the Bad, the Ugly. 26,101 photos, 422 members
- Philadelphia Street & Documentary Photography 31,953 photos, 1,202 members
- Philadelphia Photographers 39,773 photos, 562 members
- Philadelphia (anything you can find!) 2,257 photos, 141 members
- phillyscapes: philadelphia photography 7,226 photos, 380 members
- Philadelphia Museum of Art 3,966 photos, 609 members
- Philadelphia At Night 6,860 photos, 1,066 members
- The Broad Street Line 138 photos, 36 members
- Library Stamps 359 photos, 24 members
- Allegany County, NY 326 photos, 19 members
- vegan with a vengeance (and friends) 8,305 photos, 1,505 members
- Maps in Signs & Graphics 3,031 photos, 336 members
- STORY TELLING Stray Cats photos (HIGH Quality Photo Only) 1,764 photos, 279 members
- Bleak 30,807 photos, 1,222 members
- Vegetarian Japan 932 photos, 174 members
- Jizo (地蔵) 157 photos, 36 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 499,004 photos, 13,899 members
- ! **お散歩カメラ / osanpo camera 470,539 photos, 14,776 members
- Rural Japan (inaka) | 日本の田舎 8,879 photos, 307 members
- Mountains Anywhere 596,722 photos, 35,863 members
- Landscapes of the World 1,305,777 photos, 35,270 members
- Water... Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Creeks 1,595,697 photos, 65,932 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 363,718 photos, 10,315 members
- Rockeries - comment or invite 1 1,179 photos, 168 members
- By the Window (please read rules!) 2,963 photos, 375 members
- The Public Space Group 170,179 photos, 11,691 members
- RUSTY and CRUSTY 444,153 photos, 29,753 members
- Beautiful is Boring 251,063 photos, 6,423 members
- Areas of Outstanding Natural Banality 37,839 photos, 752 members
- No-Flash Night Shots 532,569 photos, 31,775 members
- Boards of Canada 4,497 photos, 541 members
- Ruins 136,869 photos, 7,516 members
Molly Des Jardin doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- non-euclidean photography
- May 2005
- Rochester, NY
- Philadelphia, PA, United States
- I am:
- mdesjardin on 500px