My name is Marnanel. When I was about eleven years old, my baby brother was born. He learned to talk, and as he learned, I became fascinated with the way language works. I studied as many Teach Yourself books as I could lay my hands on, especially Welsh, and designed a language of my own, Nimyad. It was in this language that I named myself marnanel, "a dreamer".
I became unhappy at school, gained some desultory A-levels, went to study at Hertfordshire, did really rather well in my BSc, and ended up at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge studying natural language processing. It was there that depression first became a major problem for me, and to cut a story short, I ended up out of college without a master's. But I stayed in Cambridge for five years anyway. I love that town. It will probably always mean home to me in one way or another.
A few years later, I went on a trip to Chicago, my first trip abroad since early childhood. I had a two-hour layover in Philadelphia, and a friend of mine from online came over with zir daughter to keep me company. One thing led to another and I ended up moving out to Pennsylvania to be with them both. The friend is Firinel and our daughter is Riordon. I love them both so much. Firinel's name means "creator" in Nimyad.
We have three cats.
I work as a perl programmer, part of a large team which helps make sure that people get food, heating and a roof over their heads that they might not otherwise have received. I love my job.
I believe in the power of people working together to help one another. I believe in equality, consensus and respect.
The free software movement is very important to me. I think everyone should take the time to inform themselves about the issues, and look into what they can do to help. I run Ubuntu at home and Debian at work, both using GNOME in Welsh. I'm a great fan of Emacs, but I'm learning vi.
I'm still learning Welsh. One day I want to be good enough to submit a poem at the Eisteddfod. And by 2025 I plan to have a PhD, hopefully in Welsh/English computer processing of natural language.
My favourite colour is orange. I love chocolate.
What else would you like to know?
- Charles Eamer Kempe 4,997 photos, 78 members
- Nokia N900 3,104 photos, 441 members
- Sigil 179 photos, 82 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 855 photos, 22,251 members
- Boxed Food 605 photos, 62 members
- All Screenshots 62 photos, 21 members
- Land-Fill 157 photos, 51 members
- Pro Choice 271 photos, 83 members
- I ♥ Roe v Wade 24 photos, 38 members
- Art Threat 19,432 photos, 934 members
- Letchworth 'Garden' City 373 photos, 26 members
- Letchworth Garden City 999 photos, 86 members
- Rainbow Flags 1,182 photos, 294 members
- Pride Rainbows 3,478 photos, 436 members
- American Girl Dolls 7,041 photos, 587 members
- Cymdeithas yr Iaith 467 photos, 104 members
- without capitalism 545 photos, 67 members
- Guinness Beer 4,433 photos, 1,737 members
- Flick-O-System: ? degrees of separation 5,030 photos, 11,839 members
- Scymraeg 720 photos, 155 members
"Marnanel is quite silly, you know?
You have been warned...black squirrels with lightning bolts guard his nuts!"
May 20th, 2007
- October 2005
- I am: