Some of you who have wandered over here may wonder what is this 'Mad physicist' thing all about? Well, I actually am a physicist in my daily life and my fellow LEGO builders sometimes seem to think that I have a particular way of doing things that they themselves wouldn't normally come up with. Because of that, when I was living in the UK, it wasn't entirely unusual for my British friends to refer to me the 'Mad physicist'.
Selling models or instructions
I get a lot of requests by people who would like to buy my models or who would like instructions. I am sorry if it disappoints anybody, but I have no interest in selling any of my models. They are fragile, complicated, and tend to use a lot of parts, sometimes including rare ones that LEGO don't make any more or that aren't available to the general public. I don't make instructions either. I'd rather spend my time building new things. I don't work for LEGO. My LEGO building is strictly a hobby.
- BrickFairVA 2019 Cold War Collaboration 41 photos, 18 members
- BrickBoys 197 photos, 10 members
- News LEGO Techniques 5,571 photos, 1,405 members
- Brickish Builds 25 photos, 31 members
- A year in Lego 406 photos, 172 members
- The Brothers Brick "Create-a-Calendar" Contest 40 photos, 74 members
- Scale Modelers Association 113 photos, 24 members
- Blogged by The Lego Car Blog! 3,491 photos, 511 members
- The Brothers Brick presents: BRICKNADO² 13 photos, 41 members
- Lego Sky Scenes 826 photos, 153 members
- The 'own brand' car register 253 photos, 31 members
- The TBB Server Downtime Contest 17 photos, 48 members
- Brick to the Past 493 photos, 237 members
- The Brothers Brick presents: BRICKNADO! 20 photos, 53 members
- Bricks at Brighton 2014 74 photos, 11 members
- Lego Military Models Workshop 980 photos, 278 members
- Lego Military Models 10,582 photos, 952 members
- Grumman C-2 Greyhound / Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye 1,303 photos, 133 members
- TBB Cover Photos 3,323 photos, 722 members
- GWLS 2012 242 photos, 46 members
- Lego Motorsport Division 123 photos, 13 members
- LEGO Removable Panel 293 photos, 100 members
- GWLS 2011 214 photos, 43 members
- LEGO Rotors 431 photos, 44 members
- BrickFair2012 Military theme 155 photos, 33 members
- LEGO Modular Landscape Standard 603 photos, 138 members
- STEAM 2010 555 photos, 44 members
- Cheese slopes actually attached to something 137 photos, 52 members
- LEGO Dioramas 6,817 photos, 474 members
- LEGO Train MOCs 7,576 photos, 2,168 members
- Lego Military Annual Build Competition 689 photos, 673 members
- Lowlug 5,929 photos, 157 members
- Lego Role Models 684 photos, 83 members
- Nautical LEGO 4,099 photos, 578 members
- Explored Lego 585 photos, 87 members
- Featured on The Brothers Brick 8,777 photos, 860 members
- Lego Tanks 6,275 photos, 789 members
- LEGO Vehicles 23,381 photos, 835 members
- LEGO Book: Advanced Building Techniques 50 photos, 252 members
- Volksrod 1,869 photos, 293 members
- LEGO Dutchies 6,823 photos, 159 members
- Cafe Corner 2,567 photos, 890 members
- Lego Emergency Services 3,164 photos, 484 members
- LEGO City Skyline 3,009 photos, 491 members
- Peaceful Lego 7,560 photos, 398 members
- British Aircraft 13,229 photos, 160 members
- LEGO - Top rating images 1,071 photos, 683 members
- Friends Of Lino 4,137 photos, 159 members
- SSW [Seven Stud Wide] 605 photos, 104 members
- Lego Architecture and Design 11,178 photos, 1,339 members
- Royal Netherlands Navy SH-14D Lynx 2 photos
- collaborative builds 1 photo
- VW Golf Politie 2 photos
- DAF fire engines 2 photos
- LAFD ambulances 1 photo
- MH-6 Little bird 4 photos
- military camouflage 7 photos
- LAFD Suburbans 3 photos
- Southwest Trains class 158 4 photos
- LAFD Tiller trucks 4 photos
"Ralph you're an inspiration, I am blown away with your UH-1H. I am going to study your photos with the view of trying to recreate this masterpiece. Keep up the awesome work."
June 22nd, 2018
Red Spacecat says:
"I often think Ralph sees Lego in a different way than we mere mortals do. The way he's able to mold those bricks into the irregular shapes that make up an aircraft, is baffling. When even mathematics get involved in building, you know the attention to detail is taken very seriously indeed. In general a very kind, well spoken and fun guy to be around."
July 11th, 2012
"I think Ralph is the best LEGO-builder in world.
The way he build is inimitable. So Ralph is my bigest idol.
Thank you for the beautiful models."
December 11th, 2011
Marjon Savelsberg says:
"What can I say, he is my brother and a pretty awesome one too!
He's just a very nice and gentle man, and I admire his lego-work! He has been "playing" with those little bricks ever since he was a toddler, there usually was a car or a plane or a train on the table when we had our dinner (or breakfast, or lunch). I gave him my Lego one day, well, we traded it since I got his Ministeck, it was somewhere in the eighties. I am just a proud sister ;-)"
September 1st, 2011
bustling stone says:
"Mad Physicist, what an amazing builder."
August 1st, 2011
available kettle says:
"I have been intrigued for so long with Ralph's models. His models are some of the best that I have seen -- but just a quick look around his stream can tell you that! He's also been of huge help to me on numerous projects of mine!
Keep on brickin' mate! :)"
May 25th, 2011
"The master of detail. Whether it be cars, jets, helicopters, or even a building every once in awhile, Ralph pulls it together with expertise. Certainly someone to reference to when building."
June 17th, 2009
"A genius, and a friend. Ralph is one of those rare people that you meet only once in a lifetime."
March 8th, 2009
"Ralph is, simply put, an amazing builder. Every time I think I've finally figured out how he does it, another model comes out, and I am left once again wondering, "How did he do that?" His techniques are very simple, yet they always work very gracefully. I've learned a great many things from simply studying his models, and I suggest anyone who builds aircraft to do the same."
March 4th, 2009
Lino M says:
"Mad Physicist is one of those builders I've admired long before the days of flickr. Now that we're both on this fine site I was pleased to learn that Ralph is not only talented, but knowledgeable, diplomatic...and forever a good friend to all."
December 14th, 2008
"Mad Physicist (a.k.a. Ralph S.) is one of the great LEGO builders of the world. Name anything and he will be able to build it."
September 13th, 2008
flashy rest says:
"He's so good at building planes, can start his own airport if he wanted to"
August 14th, 2008
"Ralph is one (rather mad) Lego builder who painstakingly combines all sorts of building techniques into his aircraft, land vehicles as well as into his minifig sets that make them all look and feel realistic.
If I were to compare his creations to that of others, his feel like they were made from smaller bits that were integrated and specially made for each other.
Rather than coming up with simpler solutions, he pushes the limits of Lego building techniques (particularly for land vehicles and aircraft) and almost always comes up with a design that's better, smoother, more realistic, and has that "wow" effect most of his viewers express the moment they see his models.
Outside of MOCpages, Brickshelf or Flickr he's also a good friend who provides sound advice in terms of Lego building techniques as well as anything else under the sun.
June 12th, 2008
Lego Monster says:
"Ralph builds simply the most realistic aircraft out of Lego that you are ever gonna see... and he's a nice guy too - go figure!"
March 9th, 2008
John C. Lamarck says:
"The best Lego aircrafts builder in the world, next to lego monster according to me, so far."
March 3rd, 2008
- Ralph Savelsberg
- February 2008
- The Netherlands
- I am:
- Associate professor