Some of you who have wandered over here may wonder what is this 'Mad physicist' thing all about? Well, I actually am a physicist in my daily life and my fellow LEGO builders sometimes seem to think that I have a particular way of doing things that they themselves wouldn't normally come up with. Because of that it's not entirely unusual for my British friends to refer to me the 'Mad physicist'. The fact that I was a Dutchman living in the UK at the time didn't really help with blending into the crowd either.
Selling models or instructions
I get a lot of requests by people who would like to buy my models or who would like instructions. I am sorry if it disappoints anybody, but I have no interest in selling any of my models. They are fragile, complicated, and tend to use a lot of parts, sometimes including rare ones that LEGO don't make any more or that aren't available to the general public. I don't make instructions either. I'd rather spend my time building new things. I don't work for LEGO. My LEGO building is strictly a hobby.
- Blogged by The Lego Car Blog! 1,894 photos, 257 members
- The Brothers Brick presents: BRICKNADO² 16 photos, 43 members
- Lego Sky Scenes 582 photos, 107 members
- The 'own brand' car register 208 photos, 31 members
- The TBB Server Downtime Contest 19 photos, 49 members
- Brick to the Past 228 photos, 140 members
- The Brothers Brick presents: BRICKNADO! 20 photos, 56 members
- Bricks at Brighton 2014 84 photos, 11 members
- Lego Military Models Workshop 583 photos, 213 members
- Lego Military Models 5,734 photos, 617 members
- Grumman C-2 Greyhound / Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye 1,050 photos, 96 members
- TBB Cover Photos 1,303 photos, 470 members
- GWLS 2012 509 photos, 47 members
- Lego Motorsport Division 140 photos, 13 members
- LEGO Removable Panel 202 photos, 76 members
- GWLS 2011 232 photos, 43 members
- LEGO Rotors 292 photos, 42 members
- BrickFair2012 Military theme 155 photos, 31 members
- LEGO Modular Landscape Standard 235 photos, 100 members
- STEAM 2010 772 photos, 45 members
- Cheese slopes actually attached to something 110 photos, 45 members
- LEGO Dioramas 4,269 photos, 402 members
- LEGO Train MOCs 5,508 photos, 1,571 members
- Lego Military Annual Build Competition 706 photos, 643 members
- Lowlug 4,533 photos, 123 members
- Lego Role Models 599 photos, 77 members
- Nautical LEGO 2,457 photos, 395 members
- Explored Lego 567 photos, 86 members
- Blogged by The Brothers Brick 6,081 photos, 671 members
- Lego Tanks 4,436 photos, 612 members
- LEGO Vehicles 13,851 photos, 535 members
- LEGO User Groups (LUGs) 4,800 photos, 398 members
- LEGO Book: Advanced Building Techniques 50 photos, 231 members
- Volksrod 1,405 photos, 278 members
- LEGO Dutchies 6,079 photos, 163 members
- Cafe Corner 2,199 photos, 709 members
- Lego Emergency Services 2,368 photos, 341 members
- LEGO City Skyline 1,928 photos, 316 members
- Peaceful Lego 5,936 photos, 349 members
- British Aircraft 6,745 photos, 100 members
- LEGO - Top rating images 1,019 photos, 628 members
- Friends Of Lino 3,767 photos, 157 members
- SSW [Seven Stud Wide] 477 photos, 76 members
- Lego Architecture and Design 6,496 photos, 988 members
- Lego Air Force 3,870 photos, 388 members
- LEGO Techniques 1,741 photos, 2,809 members
- State Police and Highway Patrol 12,529 photos, 413 members
- Builders Lounge 25,549 photos, 472 members
- LEGO wheels 18,435 photos, 757 members
- LEGO 390,299 photos, 16,769 members
Red Spacecat says:
"I often think Ralph sees Lego in a different way than we mere mortals do. The way he's able to mold those bricks into the irregular shapes that make up an aircraft, is baffling. When even mathematics get involved in building, you know the attention to detail is taken very seriously indeed. In general a very kind, well spoken and fun guy to be around."
July 11th, 2012
"I think Ralph is the best LEGO-builder in world.
The way he build is inimitable. So Ralph is my bigest idol.
Thank you for the beautiful models."
December 11th, 2011
Marjon Savelsberg says:
"What can I say, he is my brother and a pretty awesome one too!
He's just a very nice and gentle man, and I admire his lego-work! He has been "playing" with those little bricks ever since he was a toddler, there usually was a car or a plane or a train on the table when we had our dinner (or breakfast, or lunch). I gave him my Lego one day, well, we traded it since I got his Ministeck, it was somewhere in the eighties. I am just a proud sister ;-)"
September 1st, 2011
Justin. Z ★ says:
"Mad Physicist, what an amazing builder."
August 1st, 2011
Flak Magnet says:
"I have been intrigued for so long with Ralph's models. His models are some of the best that I have seen -- but just a quick look around his stream can tell you that! He's also been of huge help to me on numerous projects of mine!
Keep on brickin' mate! :)"
May 25th, 2011
"The master of detail. Whether it be cars, jets, helicopters, or even a building every once in awhile, Ralph pulls it together with expertise. Certainly someone to reference to when building."
June 17th, 2009
"A genius, and a friend. Ralph is one of those rare people that you meet only once in a lifetime."
March 8th, 2009
"Ralph is, simply put, an amazing builder. Every time I think I've finally figured out how he does it, another model comes out, and I am left once again wondering, "How did he do that?" His techniques are very simple, yet they always work very gracefully. I've learned a great many things from simply studying his models, and I suggest anyone who builds aircraft to do the same."
March 4th, 2009
Lino M says:
"Mad Physicist is one of those builders I've admired long before the days of flickr. Now that we're both on this fine site I was pleased to learn that Ralph is not only talented, but knowledgeable, diplomatic...and forever a good friend to all."
December 14th, 2008
"Mad Physicist (a.k.a. Ralph S.) is one of the great LEGO builders of the world. Name anything and he will be able to build it."
September 13th, 2008
"He's so good at building planes, can start his own airport if he wanted to"
August 14th, 2008
"Ralph is one (rather mad) Lego builder who painstakingly combines all sorts of building techniques into his aircraft, land vehicles as well as into his minifig sets that make them all look and feel realistic.
If I were to compare his creations to that of others, his feel like they were made from smaller bits that were integrated and specially made for each other.
Rather than coming up with simpler solutions, he pushes the limits of Lego building techniques (particularly for land vehicles and aircraft) and almost always comes up with a design that's better, smoother, more realistic, and has that "wow" effect most of his viewers express the moment they see his models.
Outside of MOCpages, Brickshelf or Flickr he's also a good friend who provides sound advice in terms of Lego building techniques as well as anything else under the sun.
June 12th, 2008
Lego Monster says:
"Ralph builds simply the most realistic aircraft out of Lego that you are ever gonna see... and he's a nice guy too - go figure!"
March 9th, 2008
John Lamarck says:
"The best Lego aircrafts builder in the world, next to lego monster according to me, so far."
March 3rd, 2008
- Ralph Savelsberg
- February 2008
- The Netherlands
- I am:
- Associate professor