Some of you who have wandered over here may wonder what is this 'Mad physicist' thing all about? Well, I actually am a physicist in my daily life and my fellow LEGO builders sometimes seem to think that I have a particular way of doing things that they themselves wouldn't normally come up with. Because of that it's not entirely unusual for my British friends to refer to me the 'Mad physicist'. The fact that I was a Dutchman living in the UK at the time didn't really help with blending into the crowd either.
Selling models or instructions
I get a lot of requests by people who would like to buy my models or who would like instructions. I am sorry if it disappoints anybody, but I have no interest in selling any of my models. They are fragile, complicated, and tend to use a lot of parts, sometimes including rare ones that LEGO don't make any more or that aren't available to the general public. I don't make instructions either. I'd rather spend my time building new things. I don't work for LEGO. My LEGO building is strictly a hobby.
- Blogged by The Lego Car Blog! 1,855 photos, 250 members
- The Brothers Brick presents: BRICKNADO² 16 photos, 41 members
- Lego Sky Scenes 572 photos, 104 members
- The 'own brand' car register 208 photos, 31 members
- The TBB Server Downtime Contest 19 photos, 49 members
- Brick to the Past 225 photos, 137 members
- The Brothers Brick presents: BRICKNADO! 20 photos, 55 members
- Bricks at Brighton 2014 84 photos, 11 members
- Lego Military Models Workshop 568 photos, 210 members
- Lego Military Models 5,503 photos, 603 members
- Grumman C-2 Greyhound / Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye 1,026 photos, 95 members
- TBB Cover Photos 1,320 photos, 457 members
- GWLS 2012 509 photos, 47 members
- Lego Motorsport Division 140 photos, 13 members
- LEGO Removable Panel 197 photos, 74 members
- GWLS 2011 232 photos, 43 members
- LEGO Rotors 288 photos, 42 members
- BrickFair2012 Military theme 155 photos, 32 members
- LEGO Modular Landscape Standard 235 photos, 98 members
- STEAM 2010 772 photos, 45 members
- Cheese slopes actually attached to something 110 photos, 45 members
- LEGO Dioramas 4,169 photos, 396 members
- LEGO Train MOCs 5,457 photos, 1,554 members
- Lego Military Annual Build Competition 667 photos, 624 members
- Lowlug 4,504 photos, 122 members
- Lego Role Models 588 photos, 76 members
- Nautical LEGO 2,433 photos, 390 members
- Explored Lego 566 photos, 86 members
- Blogged by The Brothers Brick 5,985 photos, 662 members
- Lego Tanks 4,318 photos, 598 members
- LEGO Vehicles 13,462 photos, 529 members
- LEGO User Groups (LUGs) 4,733 photos, 395 members
- LEGO Book: Advanced Building Techniques 50 photos, 232 members
- Volksrod 1,377 photos, 274 members
- LEGO Dutchies 6,047 photos, 163 members
- Cafe Corner 2,188 photos, 702 members
- Lego Emergency Services 2,324 photos, 337 members
- LEGO City Skyline 1,915 photos, 310 members
- Peaceful Lego 5,863 photos, 348 members
- British Aircraft 6,477 photos, 100 members
- LEGO - Top rating images 1,019 photos, 623 members
- Friends Of Lino 3,737 photos, 157 members
- SSW [Seven Stud Wide] 474 photos, 76 members
- Lego Architecture and Design 6,394 photos, 979 members
- Lego Air Force 3,802 photos, 387 members
- LEGO Techniques 1,726 photos, 2,758 members
- State Police and Highway Patrol 12,381 photos, 412 members
- Builders Lounge 25,207 photos, 469 members
- LEGO wheels 18,079 photos, 752 members
- LEGO 386,052 photos, 16,669 members
Red Spacecat says:
"I often think Ralph sees Lego in a different way than we mere mortals do. The way he's able to mold those bricks into the irregular shapes that make up an aircraft, is baffling. When even mathematics get involved in building, you know the attention to detail is taken very seriously indeed. In general a very kind, well spoken and fun guy to be around."
July 11th, 2012
"I think Ralph is the best LEGO-builder in world.
The way he build is inimitable. So Ralph is my bigest idol.
Thank you for the beautiful models."
December 11th, 2011
Marjon Savelsberg says:
"What can I say, he is my brother and a pretty awesome one too!
He's just a very nice and gentle man, and I admire his lego-work! He has been "playing" with those little bricks ever since he was a toddler, there usually was a car or a plane or a train on the table when we had our dinner (or breakfast, or lunch). I gave him my Lego one day, well, we traded it since I got his Ministeck, it was somewhere in the eighties. I am just a proud sister ;-)"
September 1st, 2011
Justin. Z ★ says:
"Mad Physicist, what an amazing builder."
August 1st, 2011
Flak Magnet says:
"I have been intrigued for so long with Ralph's models. His models are some of the best that I have seen -- but just a quick look around his stream can tell you that! He's also been of huge help to me on numerous projects of mine!
Keep on brickin' mate! :)"
May 25th, 2011
"The master of detail. Whether it be cars, jets, helicopters, or even a building every once in awhile, Ralph pulls it together with expertise. Certainly someone to reference to when building."
June 17th, 2009
"A genius, and a friend. Ralph is one of those rare people that you meet only once in a lifetime."
March 8th, 2009
"Ralph is, simply put, an amazing builder. Every time I think I've finally figured out how he does it, another model comes out, and I am left once again wondering, "How did he do that?" His techniques are very simple, yet they always work very gracefully. I've learned a great many things from simply studying his models, and I suggest anyone who builds aircraft to do the same."
March 4th, 2009
Lino M says:
"Mad Physicist is one of those builders I've admired long before the days of flickr. Now that we're both on this fine site I was pleased to learn that Ralph is not only talented, but knowledgeable, diplomatic...and forever a good friend to all."
December 14th, 2008
"Mad Physicist (a.k.a. Ralph S.) is one of the great LEGO builders of the world. Name anything and he will be able to build it."
September 13th, 2008
"He's so good at building planes, can start his own airport if he wanted to"
August 14th, 2008
"Ralph is one (rather mad) Lego builder who painstakingly combines all sorts of building techniques into his aircraft, land vehicles as well as into his minifig sets that make them all look and feel realistic.
If I were to compare his creations to that of others, his feel like they were made from smaller bits that were integrated and specially made for each other.
Rather than coming up with simpler solutions, he pushes the limits of Lego building techniques (particularly for land vehicles and aircraft) and almost always comes up with a design that's better, smoother, more realistic, and has that "wow" effect most of his viewers express the moment they see his models.
Outside of MOCpages, Brickshelf or Flickr he's also a good friend who provides sound advice in terms of Lego building techniques as well as anything else under the sun.
June 12th, 2008
Lego Monster says:
"Ralph builds simply the most realistic aircraft out of Lego that you are ever gonna see... and he's a nice guy too - go figure!"
March 9th, 2008
John Lamarck says:
"The best Lego aircrafts builder in the world, next to lego monster according to me, so far."
March 3rd, 2008
- Ralph Savelsberg
- February 2008
- The Netherlands
- I am:
- Associate professor