Maciej is an experienced Polish photographer, traveller and photography teacher based in Asia. He holds a PhD in computer science, but abandoned science to focus on photography. He is one of the founders of the cult Third Floor Gallery in Cardiff and a member the international street photography collective In-Public. His interests are in documentary, travel and street photography.
Maciej’s photos have been widely published and exhibited around the world, shown at photo festivals (including Visa Pour l’Image) and he is a recipient of numerous awards. He was profiled in two major street photography books published by Thames & Hudson – “Street Photography Now” in 2010 and “The World Atlas of Street Photography” in 2014. Maciej’s first monograph Cardiff After Dark was published in October 2012.
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/MaciejDakowiczPhotography
All photos displayed on flickr are copyrighted and require permison for reproduction.
- FUJIFILM X Street Photography 169,102 photos, 5,767 members
- Ten - A Curated Explore 1,299 photos, 693 members
- StreetPhoto 1,280,824 photos, 29,214 members
- *****Street Photography***** 997,264 photos, 24,917 members
- Streetshots (people in the street) 752,965 photos, 17,644 members
- Street Photography 3,219 photos, 44,430 members
- Flickr Social 291,452 photos, 7,675 members
- in explore 819,344 photos, 71,185 members
- Street Photography Blog 1,440,485 photos, 45,828 members
- Epic Street 1,304 photos, 521 members
- Ultimate Street Photography (USP) 926 photos, 554 members
- Color Street Photography 365 1,215 photos, 1,822 members
- Poke My Eyes 334 photos, 606 members
- Uneasy Streets 682 photos, 346 members
- Global Street Photography 22,932 photos, 1,546 members
- Street Photography +99 224 photos, 654 members
- Decisive Moment 59,557 photos, 37,486 members
- Street & Repeat - 105 1,743 photos, 592 members
- Urban Picnic Street Photography 722 photos, 3,107 members
- APF Magazine Street Photography Group 602 photos, 3,634 members
- Absolute Quality Gallery ~ Invite only 758 photos, 1,372 members
- Small Growers Street Association 264 photos, 1,078 members
- 121clicks 18,485 photos, 9,504 members
- Third Dimension 196 photos, 337 members
- Stranger After Dark 549 photos, 266 members
- like my facebook 9,064 photos, 761 members
- la familia abrazada 2,555 photos, 1,418 members
- Elite Street Photography 768 photos, 5,708 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 880 photos, 332 members
- un-posed.com 2,646 photos, 1,879 members
- Hoppe street portraits competition 1,840 photos, 442 members
- SPN Project - Photos by the Instruction Givers. 30 photos, 46 members
- Instruction #14 194 photos, 330 members
- Instruction #1 336 photos, 1,442 members
- Your Bookshelf, Your Identity 180 photos, 117 members
- Tłusty Polski Street 1,285 photos, 250 members
- BigLittleCity: Cardiff 4,614 photos, 226 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 819,459 photos, 33,789 members
- Street Reverb Magazine 62 photos, 595 members
- Third Floor Gallery Cardiff 531 photos, 97 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 406,753 photos, 105,129 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 117,523 photos, 5,093 members
- Blurb Books 2,398 photos, 6,353 members
- Lonely Planet Publications: Photobook 345,354 photos, 9,731 members
- Beautiful Girls 752,080 photos, 30,888 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 701 photos, 1,242 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 371 photos, 256 members
- La Pura Vida presents 'Can't Pay the Rent' 23 photos, 70 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,945 members
- Garry Winogrand Canted Moments 10,505 photos, 1,523 members
Nadir Moha says:
"Fou Rire Esthétique garanti pour le "Cardiff At Night" ! Un Continent !"
August 5th, 2011
Camille Léage says:
"Thanks for adding me as a contact, your work is amazing. I hope later, I will be able to do as well as you do :)
Camille from France"
September 6th, 2010
(deaf mute) says:
"Many flickrites have illusory dreams of "making it big". They think that uploading one heavily-Photoshopped image a week makes them a photographer. Maciej is the real deal. I'm not entirely sure of his modus operandi, but it appears he's constantly travelling the world, pounding the streets in the hunt for previously untold stories like a traditional photojournalist. You know, one that works for a living.
All that would mean nothing if the photos were merely average, but - as this photostream shows - his hit rate is exceptional. Maciej's ambitions are unknown to me, but I've got a strong feeling he's going to achieve them. This man on a mission cannot be stopped."
September 18th, 2009
Livia Lazar says:
"I am in love with this photographer's work. I learn a lot of things all by looking at his photos. The first photographer I discovered on Flickr and who continuosly provided me inspiration. I consider myself lucky because of this."
May 17th, 2009
damian chrobak's photos says:
"I really enjoy watching your work!!!"
November 8th, 2008
N A Y E E M says:
"My favourite photographer on Flickr"
September 5th, 2008
"Energetic, always turned on and on the move! Go Maciej!"
August 19th, 2008
۞ Sofia Fatima Amerchi says:
"Maciej may not realize it - although I can't see how he wouldn't - but he is already a photographer on par with the best of Magnum.
Maciej, really all of your photographs make me wonder how you manage it - how you manage to see and capture scenes that look as though the whole place, and everyone in it, just re-organized especially for you and your camera.
It's obvious you see the lines of composition on a very subconscious level. I think it's what sets yours apart from really every other photostream on flickr. Practice is just fine-tuning for you. The more I get into your photos, the more I am in awe of your talent.
Cheers and best of luck to you! :)"
August 12th, 2008
Marcin Babul says:
"Mr Dakowicz big up, one of the person which help me to develope new visions on photography. Big thanks to Maciek"
December 30th, 2007
"For me, the best "people photographer" on flickr. Truly a photojournalist in the making."
November 7th, 2007
Rafal Bergman says:
"Maciej is the best and the most accomplished photographer I know. It was (and still is) fascinating to observe his development, from the time when he bought his first (film) camera after moving to HK. I remember him showing his first pictures of this exotic place. Then we were taking pictures together when I also moved there with his help. I was observing his growing fascination when the digital era started for good, and celebrating his first successes. He is still progressing and I don't think it will be long until he is a famous professional. As I said it is fascinating to watch his path and I feel proud of knowing such talented (and modest) person."
August 8th, 2007
"Maciej Dakowicz is a versatile mofo. That is to say, his sensibilities are wide and objective. A good picture justifies itself, regardless of subject. He both knows and shows you what I mean by that on the very next page, so take a long stroll through, for there are lots of great images."
July 21st, 2007
"Maciej ranks of one of the worlds greatest street photographers, the insane knack of being in the right place at the right time, his obsessive eye for the telling detail, the way each photo is part of a larger narrative and his warmth and humanism shine through on every picture. sheer genius!"
July 8th, 2007
Dr Karanka says:
"Now that I've drank a couple of glasses of red wine I can write. Meeting Maciej was as I expected really. I felt very curious about seeing him shoot and surprised about the way in which he can be shy, but sort of direct. His photography does show the last part of this, not that much the shyness. He handles his camera melting with the surroundings for a long time and snaps and snaps. Things just naturally seem to unfold around him (yep, we had plenty of stuff happening around us last evening). Somehow he manages to stand still trying to get a sharp image and not been seen.
I usually like to compare myself with the people I know: where I try to figure out shapes and forms he straightforwardly reports an action or fact with an aestheticly pleasing touch; where I try to search for gradients of light he dismisses the idea and searches some shocking colours; when I ask for permission, he suggests it... I think he's more of a photojournalist...
Anyhow, he's one of the few people I look forwards to shoot with again! (oh, and also have a few pints, more so if they are Belgian)"
April 26th, 2007
"There's a group on 'flickr' called "National Geographic Wannabies". As the name suggests, some of the photographers posting there just want to be like those from NG. It is NOT to say about Maciej's work, he and his photos are already that level. Definitely worth seeing."
December 6th, 2006
Hughes Léglise-Bataille says:
"Maciej is one the top photographers on Flickr. In fact, Flickr is too small for a talent like his ! Watch this guy, he's going to be BIG. And meanwhile, watch his photos: they are an inspiration, a lesson in photography and humanity."
November 25th, 2006
Gail Orenstein says:
"An extensive collection of excellent photos from around the world. I check the RSS feed every day to see what Maciej is up to."
August 31st, 2006
David Solomons says:
"Without a doubt, this guy is one of the best documentary photographers I've seen not just on Flickr but anywhere. His composition, technique, timing and storytelling are simply breathtaking. Magnum beckons."
August 1st, 2006
Swiatoslaw Wojtkowiak says:
"definitely searching and very often finding, i guess really determined to go pro. if he combines present amazing technical skills and spontaneity and emotions of his past pictures, he 'll go high for sure"
July 21st, 2006
Claude Renault says:
"Maciek is a great guy, I had the chance to meet him once and shoot with him,
but most of all he is a very talented young ( lucky him !!) photographer.
I am sure it's not long before he hits it big.
Just go and look at his pictures..
You won't find so many good images around.
And he shoots colors.. Something I really enjoy."
March 1st, 2006
"What can I say about Maciej?
Well, about a year ago, when I was busy photographing buildings and lanterns (BORING!) he told me "shoot people. Your stuff is boring". And he was 100% right. I think Maciek has been the most influential guy to change my focus from things to people. I havent looked back since.
Looking at Maciek's work, you really cant help but be influenced. Who doesnt want to catch those interesting, devastating, inspiring, heart warming, heart wrenching moments the way Maciek does?"
February 27th, 2006
" "I cannot believe I'm the first person who writes a testimonial for Maciej!
His photostream is literally brimming with beauty!
You won’t find any mediocre, random snapshots here. Every offering is thoughtfully composed and presented.
How does he do it? Do amazing opportunities pop up wherever he is?
My best guess is that he has THE eye to foresee a valuable moment and the steady hand to capture it before it flees.
Maciej has an outstanding way of photographing everyday life. The pubs of Cardiff, the streets of India.... all are captured in a social documentary way.
His work is moving and strong at the same time.
Thanks for sharing your unique view on our intriguing world!"
February 17th, 2006
- Maciej Dakowicz
- May 2005
- Bangkok, Thailand
- I am:
- maciekda [at] gmail.com