Profile last updated Wednesday 21st July 2010
During the 70s and 80s I used film SLR cameras and had a darkroom. I started with a Zenit E and then moved on to an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II and upgraded twice keeping with Pentax. The expense of film, negative dust and scratches and carrying a heavy kit bag around put me off photography. In the end, I went for a 35mm compact for parties and holiday snaps.
I bought a digital in April 2003 to replace the compact. I loved it. It allowed me to get back into photography. No limit on exposures and I could experiment with no expense. I upgraded in August 2004, loved the new camera even more. I started retirement on 1st Jan 2005, joined Flickr on 14th Feb 2005 and, as they say, the rest is history. In May 2005 I upgraded again to a dSLR (Canon 350D > 30D > 40D > 7D) and now have a kit bag and a darkroom (Photoshop CS3) again. Browsing Flickr made me realise that I wasn't alone taking images of cans, piles of tiles, rust and squared circles (I didn't know what squared circles were then or how to crop them properly but I did capture one). So with carte blanche I capture anything and everything and don't feel self-conscious about it. Flickr provides the ultimate global album for the photographs. Flickr also exercises the side of my brain that I enjoyed using at work i.e. organising and tagging the photographs, creating sets, admining groups, writing guidelines and webbing. Nearly forgot, photography with Flickr feeds my obsession of collecting things and it's a lot cheaper than CDs, DVDs and books. That's me in a nutshell...I can't leave the shutter shut.
My photostream consists of:
Photographs I've uploaded because I'd like the world to view and comment on them. They are organised in sets.
Links to photographs: [ Random ] [ Images in Explore ] [ Interestingness ]
Collection & Reference sets of general interest e.g.
Norwich Plaques I
Norwich Plaques II
Norwich Plaques III
squared circles (over 25,000)
letters (over 8,000)
numbers (over 12,000)
signs (over 6,000)
They are organised in sets. Most of the images are posted to subject groups on Flickr.
The majority of my photographs are covered by a Creative Commons License - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0.
I admin/co-admin the following groups:
Letters and Numbers
Norwich & Norfolk
Normal for Norfolk
Guess Where Norwich
Norwich & Norfolk Flickr Meets
Headstone Military Badges
Stick Figures in Peril
Round Tower Churches
- Camera Junkie ( Gear Acquisition Syndrome ) 74,005 photos, 5,623 members
- National Portrait Gallery London 29 photos, 3 members
- Prisma Creations 1,774 photos, 215 members
- FRAMEs & BORDERs for use 1,482 photos, 1,124 members
- English grub and nowt else. 2,589 photos, 98 members
- Mosaics - Colours 1,637 photos, 177 members
- 42 876 photos, 450 members
- In Numerical Order 20 0 photos, 3 members
- In Numerical Order 19 0 photos, 3 members
- In Numerical Order 18 0 photos, 3 members
- In Numerical Order 17 0 photos, 3 members
- In Numerical Order 16 0 photos, 3 members
- In Numerical Order 15 0 photos, 3 members
- John Jarrold Printing Museum 2 photos, 1 member
- Panasonic Lumix DMC - Group 44,298 photos, 993 members
- Panasonic FZ series 182,048 photos, 2,941 members
- PANASONIC LUMIX FZ100 - FZ 150 - FZ 200 - FZ1000 - FZ300 - FZ200 67,476 photos, 1,363 members
- iPhone Obsession (,^^) 76,068 photos, 3,373 members
- Indie Record Stores 3,125 photos, 249 members
- Wellcome Collection 459 photos, 72 members
- - B - That's All I Want It To Be - 422 photos, 102 members
- Royal Academy 283 photos, 12 members
- In Numerical Order 14 0 photos, 3 members
- In Numerical Order 13: next 417 279 photos, 5 members
- National Trust in the East of England 6,305 photos, 272 members
- FZ1000 Fan Club 27,803 photos, 1,118 members
- Birds , Birds Birds 1,265,907 photos, 34,762 members
- Panasonic FZ1000 Photography 24,633 photos, 731 members
- 7 inches 5,697 photos, 88 members
- RHS Flower Show Tatton Park 439 photos, 31 members
- Music on Vinyl 7,487 photos, 60 members
- James Bowen and a Street Cat Named Bob 170 photos, 120 members
- 1888 Building Dates 90 photos, 22 members
- UEA turns 50 - alumni photos 310 photos, 53 members
- London Zoo 6,763 photos, 857 members
- Pre-Worboys Road Signs 5,323 photos, 290 members
- 45 rpm vinyl singles 33,526 photos, 530 members
- Uni of East Anglia 403 photos, 47 members
- Tribute to Vinyl 9,637 photos, 274 members
- Photo Ceramics 1,685 photos, 87 members
- iPiccy - The Official Group 17,388 photos, 804 members
- Retro Records 34,790 photos, 2,115 members
- the record collective. 56,277 photos, 1,378 members
- vinyl junkies, show us your records ! 40,963 photos, 1,848 members
- Vinyl Junkie 54,604 photos, 3,832 members
- Ribbet! - The Official Ribbet Users Group 2,433 photos, 309 members
- Post-Worboys Road Signs 2,769 photos, 134 members
- PicMonkey 60,830 photos, 2,247 members
- Coasters 4,045 photos, 117 members
- Clocks & watches with letters 71 photos, 63 members
"People don't write these often anymore but I must say that Leo is a great bloke that I met via Flickr on one of his many jaunts and you need to settle down with a flask and sandwiches to enjoy the diverse stream here. He's got the organisational skills I wish I had myself, he's a great photographer and as obsessive in his need to photograph the world around him. He's a true star."
December 7th, 2016
Nick J Stone says:
"The undisputed king of Norwich Flickr. Eclecticism at it's finest, always something new to look at, or a different way of looking at something, or just something you haven't spotted, long may his eye rove and his shutter click."
August 25th, 2009
krazydad / jbum says:
"Simply the most prolific photographer I've met on Flickr, and a careful and thoughtful curator. I aspire to be this productive."
September 16th, 2009
Cameron Self says:
"Norwich's answer to Andy Warhol."
April 11th, 2009
"A precise description. The King of Squared Circles."
September 14th, 2008
"After six months on flickr, I have decided to pay a few debts, and LeoL30 is the biggest. I have learned so much from other photographers, but above all it is looking at the way that Leo works that has affected the way I work myself. His eye for detail, his concentration on the particular and specific, are exciting and inspiring. I have learned that simplicity is the key to a spectacular image, and that less is always more.
His documentation of Norwich is an inspiration to any urban photographer. A city is made up of the smallest details, and there are millions of them, always something new to be found. In no small part thanks to Leo, I find myself looking at details even when I do not have a camera with me."
December 14th, 2006
March 23rd, 2006
Lynn Morag says:
"Leo - the biggest Flickr addict I have come across. He could write books on his subjects of interest!
Go, Leo, go!"
March 12th, 2006
"What fun, Leo has a set for just about everything!"
December 31st, 2005
"LeoL30 is one of the very few flickrinos I have actually met. He is an incredible photographer and is interested in so many things pertaining to the city that you never know which group he is going to open next! I am thankful to him for introducing me to the joys of squarecircling and that means being taught by a master of the art!
I discovered photographing cemeteries through him too.
He is a dedicated admin and I have come to consider him as a friend.
His photostream is amazingly rich and varied and each of his trips brings new and fascinating sets. Don't miss them!"
September 5th, 2005
"To suggest that Leo L30 has a tendency for obsessive behaviour would be putting it lightly. With an average of 1000 pics uploaded for each month of his Flickr membership, it's a wonder he has time to eat and sleep in between squircling for England and roving round Norwich in search of more surprising, everyday, neglected sights. I'm so glad I introduced Leo to Flickr. Yes, it's my fault. Sorry."
June 28th, 2005
"The other day, I saw something and said "Hmmm. Verdigris. Wish I had my camera," which is clearly his fault. Because I'm not one who just throws the word "verdigris" around.
In any case, I really love to look through Leo's stream -- there's so much to see, and it's a good place to get lost for a little while."
June 27th, 2005
"Leo is doors. He isn't a round peg in a square hole. He is about discovering things in forgotten places. Look. Just look."
June 14th, 2005
James M Thorne says:
"He isn't just about circles, Leo has a truely wonderful photostream and many many brilliant photos. A talented photographer in every sense of the word."
May 31st, 2005
"Where would the Squared Circle group be without Leo? His images are a delight and he keeps them coming at a fast clip. Always enjoy seeing what he sees, next!"
May 2nd, 2005
- Leo Reynolds
- February 2005
- Norwich, England, UK
- Norwich, England, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Leo Reynolds