Profile last updated Wednesday 21st July 2010
During the 70s and 80s I used film SLR cameras and had a darkroom. I started with a Zenit E and then moved on to an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II and upgraded twice keeping with Pentax. The expense of film, negative dust and scratches and carrying a heavy kit bag around put me off photography. In the end, I went for a 35mm compact for parties and holiday snaps.
I bought a digital in April 2003 to replace the compact. I loved it. It allowed me to get back into photography. No limit on exposures and I could experiment with no expense. I upgraded in August 2004, loved the new camera even more. I started retirement on 1st Jan 2005, joined Flickr on 14th Feb 2005 and, as they say, the rest is history. In May 2005 I upgraded again to a dSLR (Canon 350D > 30D > 40D > 7D) and now have a kit bag and a darkroom (Photoshop CS3) again. Browsing Flickr made me realise that I wasn't alone taking images of cans, piles of tiles, rust and squared circles (I didn't know what squared circles were then or how to crop them properly but I did capture one). So with carte blanche I capture anything and everything and don't feel self-conscious about it. Flickr provides the ultimate global album for the photographs. Flickr also exercises the side of my brain that I enjoyed using at work i.e. organising and tagging the photographs, creating sets, admining groups, writing guidelines and webbing. Nearly forgot, photography with Flickr feeds my obsession of collecting things and it's a lot cheaper than CDs, DVDs and books. That's me in a nutshell...I can't leave the shutter shut.
My photostream consists of:
Photographs I've uploaded because I'd like the world to view and comment on them. They are organised in sets.
Links to photographs: [ Random ] [ Images in Explore ] [ Interestingness ]
Collection & Reference sets of general interest e.g.
Norwich Plaques I
Norwich Plaques II
Norwich Plaques III
squared circles (over 25,000)
letters (over 8,000)
numbers (over 12,000)
signs (over 6,000)
They are organised in sets. Most of the images are posted to subject groups on Flickr.
The majority of my photographs are covered by a Creative Commons License - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0.
I admin/co-admin the following groups:
Letters and Numbers
Norwich & Norfolk
Normal for Norfolk
Guess Where Norwich
Norwich & Norfolk Flickr Meets
Headstone Military Badges
Stick Figures in Peril
Round Tower Churches
- Ipswich UK 8,968 photos, 394 members
- Day of the year 741 photos, 14 members
- Effected Cameras 4,522 photos, 399 members
- Cycling in London: Past, Present and Beyond 1,737 photos, 257 members
- RHS Flower Show Tatton Park 262 photos, 23 members
- Guess Where UK? 16 photos, 512 members
- Figurehead 1,966 photos, 301 members
- Music on Vinyl 1,754 photos, 15 members
- James Bowen and a Street Cat Named Bob 161 photos, 104 members
- West Midlands Safari Park 2,425 photos, 232 members
- OGGL 5,074 photos, 195 members
- 1888 Building Dates 84 photos, 20 members
- UEA turns 50 - alumni photos 312 photos, 49 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 111 photos, 498 members
- London Zoo 5,685 photos, 714 members
- *Umbrella* 4,647 photos, 1,645 members
- Pre-Worboys Road Signs 3,163 photos, 234 members
- Flickr Bingo 2 697 photos, 58 members
- 45 rpm vinyl singles 13,337 photos, 476 members
- Beamish Museum in Photos 13,280 photos, 349 members
- Village Signs 2,568 photos, 144 members
- GoGoGorillas! Norwich 2013 546 photos, 18 members
- Arm's Length Self Portrait Experience 90,326 photos, 12,201 members
- Wales Photography. 127,633 photos, 3,839 members
- Flickr for iPhone 41,814 photos, 4,626 members
- VINTAGE ENGLAND - EPHEMERA 21,822 photos, 775 members
- Uni of East Anglia 369 photos, 35 members
- Tribute to Vinyl 4,699 photos, 131 members
- Cambridge University Botanic Garden 3,818 photos, 338 members
- The Hexagram - The Universal Star 337 photos, 43 members
- Photo Ceramics 1,383 photos, 71 members
- iPiccy - The Official Group 7,076 photos, 699 members
- Retro Records 25,186 photos, 2,018 members
- the record collective. 34,676 photos, 1,243 members
- vinyl junkies, show us your records ! 25,148 photos, 1,591 members
- Vinyl Junkie 45,205 photos, 3,400 members
- V&A Museum of Childhood 0 photos, 1 member
- Nunhead Cemetery 531 photos, 55 members
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 8,592 photos, 379 members
- Ambiguous Signs 127 photos, 19 members
- Ribbet! - The Official Ribbet Users Group 1,389 photos, 232 members
- Bridewell History Wall 2,076 photos, 77 members
- Aviary on Flickr 979 photos, 174 members
- Lo-mob 11,523 photos, 1,115 members
- Retro Camera 7,903 photos, 823 members
- Post-Worboys Road Signs 2,245 photos, 123 members
- Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch 21 photos, 3 members
- PicMonkey 32,207 photos, 1,906 members
- Coasters 3,386 photos, 96 members
- FotoEnvy™ by Topaz Labs 49 photos, 21 members
Nick J Stone says:
"The undisputed king of Norwich Flickr. Eclecticism at it's finest, always something new to look at, or a different way of looking at something, or just something you haven't spotted, long may his eye rove and his shutter click."
25th August, 2009
krazydad / jbum says:
"Simply the most prolific photographer I've met on Flickr, and a careful and thoughtful curator. I aspire to be this productive."
16th September, 2009
Cameron Self says:
"Norwich's answer to Andy Warhol."
11th April, 2009
"A precise description. The King of Squared Circles."
14th September, 2008
"After six months on flickr, I have decided to pay a few debts, and LeoL30 is the biggest. I have learned so much from other photographers, but above all it is looking at the way that Leo works that has affected the way I work myself. His eye for detail, his concentration on the particular and specific, are exciting and inspiring. I have learned that simplicity is the key to a spectacular image, and that less is always more.
His documentation of Norwich is an inspiration to any urban photographer. A city is made up of the smallest details, and there are millions of them, always something new to be found. In no small part thanks to Leo, I find myself looking at details even when I do not have a camera with me."
14th December, 2006
23rd March, 2006
Lynn Morag says:
"Leo - the biggest Flickr addict I have come across. He could write books on his subjects of interest!
Go, Leo, go!"
12th March, 2006
"What fun, Leo has a set for just about everything!"
31st December, 2005
"LeoL30 is one of the very few flickrinos I have actually met. He is an incredible photographer and is interested in so many things pertaining to the city that you never know which group he is going to open next! I am thankful to him for introducing me to the joys of squarecircling and that means being taught by a master of the art!
I discovered photographing cemeteries through him too.
He is a dedicated admin and I have come to consider him as a friend.
His photostream is amazingly rich and varied and each of his trips brings new and fascinating sets. Don't miss them!"
5th September, 2005
"To suggest that Leo L30 has a tendency for obsessive behaviour would be putting it lightly. With an average of 1000 pics uploaded for each month of his Flickr membership, it's a wonder he has time to eat and sleep in between squircling for England and roving round Norwich in search of more surprising, everyday, neglected sights. I'm so glad I introduced Leo to Flickr. Yes, it's my fault. Sorry."
28th June, 2005
"The other day, I saw something and said "Hmmm. Verdigris. Wish I had my camera," which is clearly his fault. Because I'm not one who just throws the word "verdigris" around.
In any case, I really love to look through Leo's stream -- there's so much to see, and it's a good place to get lost for a little while."
27th June, 2005
"Leo is doors. He isn't a round peg in a square hole. He is about discovering things in forgotten places. Look. Just look."
14th June, 2005
James M Thorne says:
"He isn't just about circles, Leo has a truely wonderful photostream and many many brilliant photos. A talented photographer in every sense of the word."
31st May, 2005
"Where would the Squared Circle group be without Leo? His images are a delight and he keeps them coming at a fast clip. Always enjoy seeing what he sees, next!"
2nd May, 2005
- February 2005
- Norwich, England, UK
- Norwich, England, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Leo Reynolds