Profile last updated Wednesday 21st July 2010
During the 70s and 80s I used film SLR cameras and had a darkroom. I started with a Zenit E and then moved on to an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II and upgraded twice keeping with Pentax. The expense of film, negative dust and scratches and carrying a heavy kit bag around put me off photography. In the end, I went for a 35mm compact for parties and holiday snaps.
I bought a digital in April 2003 to replace the compact. I loved it. It allowed me to get back into photography. No limit on exposures and I could experiment with no expense. I upgraded in August 2004, loved the new camera even more. I started retirement on 1st Jan 2005, joined Flickr on 14th Feb 2005 and, as they say, the rest is history. In May 2005 I upgraded again to a dSLR (Canon 350D > 30D > 40D > 7D) and now have a kit bag and a darkroom (Photoshop CS3) again. Browsing Flickr made me realise that I wasn't alone taking images of cans, piles of tiles, rust and squared circles (I didn't know what squared circles were then or how to crop them properly but I did capture one). So with carte blanche I capture anything and everything and don't feel self-conscious about it. Flickr provides the ultimate global album for the photographs. Flickr also exercises the side of my brain that I enjoyed using at work i.e. organising and tagging the photographs, creating sets, admining groups, writing guidelines and webbing. Nearly forgot, photography with Flickr feeds my obsession of collecting things and it's a lot cheaper than CDs, DVDs and books. That's me in a nutshell...I can't leave the shutter shut.
My photostream consists of:
Photographs I've uploaded because I'd like the world to view and comment on them. They are organised in sets.
Links to photographs: [ Random ] [ Images in Explore ] [ Interestingness ]
Collection & Reference sets of general interest e.g.
Norwich Plaques I
Norwich Plaques II
Norwich Plaques III
squared circles (over 25,000)
letters (over 8,000)
numbers (over 12,000)
signs (over 6,000)
They are organised in sets. Most of the images are posted to subject groups on Flickr.
The majority of my photographs are covered by a Creative Commons License - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0.
I admin/co-admin the following groups:
Letters and Numbers
Norwich & Norfolk
Normal for Norfolk
Guess Where Norwich
Norwich & Norfolk Flickr Meets
Headstone Military Badges
Stick Figures in Peril
Round Tower Churches
- National Trust in the East of England 4,533 photos, 195 members
- Wimpole Estate National Trust 489 photos, 54 members
- Wimpole Estate NT 167 photos, 25 members
- FZ1000 Frame Grab From 4K Video 181 photos, 38 members
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Fan Club 7,452 photos, 406 members
- Carry on flickr 31 photos, 8 members
- Panasonic FZ 200 - Successor to the FZ 150 31,543 photos, 862 members
- Birds , Birds Birds 971,358 photos, 31,392 members
- Coventry Transport Museum 750 photos, 48 members
- Panasonic FZ1000 Photography 5,814 photos, 370 members
- 7 inches 4,547 photos, 76 members
- PopTops 93 photos, 9 members
- QUATORZE 419 photos, 90 members
- Ipswich UK 9,944 photos, 410 members
- Day of the year 3,109 photos, 19 members
- Effected Cameras 23,175 photos, 1,895 members
- Cycling in London: Past, Present and Beyond 1,960 photos, 261 members
- RHS Flower Show Tatton Park 307 photos, 25 members
- Guess Where UK? 23 photos, 520 members
- Figurehead 2,050 photos, 313 members
- Music on Vinyl 4,393 photos, 34 members
- James Bowen and a Street Cat Named Bob 166 photos, 117 members
- West Midlands Safari Park 2,875 photos, 266 members
- OGGL 7,344 photos, 284 members
- 1888 Building Dates 88 photos, 20 members
- UEA turns 50 - alumni photos 311 photos, 53 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 109 photos, 471 members
- London Zoo 6,495 photos, 795 members
- *Umbrella* 5,934 photos, 1,857 members
- Pre-Worboys Road Signs 3,472 photos, 257 members
- Flickr Bingo 2 696 photos, 52 members
- 45 rpm vinyl singles 16,949 photos, 498 members
- Beamish Museum in Photos 16,607 photos, 421 members
- Village Signs 2,935 photos, 148 members
- GoGoGorillas! Norwich 2013 539 photos, 19 members
- Arm's Length Self Portrait Experience 89,346 photos, 12,121 members
- Wales Photography. 161,282 photos, 4,359 members
- Flickr for iPhone 87,407 photos, 6,429 members
- VINTAGE ENGLAND - EPHEMERA 25,260 photos, 853 members
- Uni of East Anglia 395 photos, 42 members
- Tribute to Vinyl 6,931 photos, 182 members
- Cambridge University Botanic Garden 4,472 photos, 392 members
- The Hexagram - The Universal Star 352 photos, 44 members
- Photo Ceramics 1,548 photos, 75 members
- iPiccy - The Official Group 11,219 photos, 756 members
- Retro Records 28,633 photos, 2,046 members
- the record collective. 44,782 photos, 1,303 members
- vinyl junkies, show us your records ! 31,770 photos, 1,692 members
- Vinyl Junkie 48,159 photos, 3,599 members
- V&A Museum of Childhood 0 photos, 2 members
Nick J Stone says:
"The undisputed king of Norwich Flickr. Eclecticism at it's finest, always something new to look at, or a different way of looking at something, or just something you haven't spotted, long may his eye rove and his shutter click."
August 25th, 2009
krazydad / jbum says:
"Simply the most prolific photographer I've met on Flickr, and a careful and thoughtful curator. I aspire to be this productive."
September 16th, 2009
Cameron Self says:
"Norwich's answer to Andy Warhol."
April 11th, 2009
"A precise description. The King of Squared Circles."
September 14th, 2008
"After six months on flickr, I have decided to pay a few debts, and LeoL30 is the biggest. I have learned so much from other photographers, but above all it is looking at the way that Leo works that has affected the way I work myself. His eye for detail, his concentration on the particular and specific, are exciting and inspiring. I have learned that simplicity is the key to a spectacular image, and that less is always more.
His documentation of Norwich is an inspiration to any urban photographer. A city is made up of the smallest details, and there are millions of them, always something new to be found. In no small part thanks to Leo, I find myself looking at details even when I do not have a camera with me."
December 14th, 2006
March 23rd, 2006
Lynn Morag says:
"Leo - the biggest Flickr addict I have come across. He could write books on his subjects of interest!
Go, Leo, go!"
March 12th, 2006
"What fun, Leo has a set for just about everything!"
December 31st, 2005
"LeoL30 is one of the very few flickrinos I have actually met. He is an incredible photographer and is interested in so many things pertaining to the city that you never know which group he is going to open next! I am thankful to him for introducing me to the joys of squarecircling and that means being taught by a master of the art!
I discovered photographing cemeteries through him too.
He is a dedicated admin and I have come to consider him as a friend.
His photostream is amazingly rich and varied and each of his trips brings new and fascinating sets. Don't miss them!"
September 5th, 2005
"To suggest that Leo L30 has a tendency for obsessive behaviour would be putting it lightly. With an average of 1000 pics uploaded for each month of his Flickr membership, it's a wonder he has time to eat and sleep in between squircling for England and roving round Norwich in search of more surprising, everyday, neglected sights. I'm so glad I introduced Leo to Flickr. Yes, it's my fault. Sorry."
June 28th, 2005
"The other day, I saw something and said "Hmmm. Verdigris. Wish I had my camera," which is clearly his fault. Because I'm not one who just throws the word "verdigris" around.
In any case, I really love to look through Leo's stream -- there's so much to see, and it's a good place to get lost for a little while."
June 27th, 2005
"Leo is doors. He isn't a round peg in a square hole. He is about discovering things in forgotten places. Look. Just look."
June 14th, 2005
James M Thorne says:
"He isn't just about circles, Leo has a truely wonderful photostream and many many brilliant photos. A talented photographer in every sense of the word."
May 31st, 2005
"Where would the Squared Circle group be without Leo? His images are a delight and he keeps them coming at a fast clip. Always enjoy seeing what he sees, next!"
May 2nd, 2005
- Leo Reynolds
- February 2005
- Norwich, England, UK
- Norwich, England, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Leo Reynolds