A documentary photographer who likes to explore the personal histories of people around him, exploring the long-standing relationship between the observer and the subject.
Photos of lecercle (5)
- Vintage Indian Photos 161 photos, 41 members
- Pakistan Photographers Association Ltd 7,639 photos, 717 members
- 121clicks 18,485 photos, 9,506 members
- COLOR Street (curatimus maximus) 6,544 photos, 3,597 members
- Foam Trip (now closed) 2,170 photos, 379 members
- Asia Street Photography (ASP) 294 photos, 1,127 members
- Humanistic 8,410 photos, 2,240 members
- Holy Ghost Zine 177,474 photos, 4,882 members
- Instruction #1 336 photos, 1,442 members
- Photopol.us 8,294 photos, 316 members
- FILM-INDIA 7,700 photos, 667 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 1,093 photos, 594 members
- theprintspace 67,004 photos, 2,715 members
- Wooster Collective 649,030 photos, 7,002 members
- This is Pune 41 photos, 17 members
- #Classified 99 photos, 293 members
- blindboys.org 1 photo, 3 members
- Documentary Photography / Photojournalism 82,109 photos, 3,431 members
- Folklore, etnography - Фольклор, этнография 2,235 photos, 95 members
- Mumbai Weekend Shoot (MWS) 56,088 photos, 3,463 members
- INDIA BY INDIANS 276 photos, 151 members
- Lets Travel Together 50,932 photos, 1,859 members
- Publish and be Damned! - TEARSHEETS 258 photos, 465 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,944 members
- Portra [Kodak Portra Film] 161,947 photos, 17,407 members
- Medium Format (120/220 film only) 824,639 photos, 35,815 members
- Mamiya 7 and 7II 42,811 photos, 3,384 members
- Mamiya Love (FILM ONLY) 127,967 photos, 7,537 members
- PLATEFORM magazine 168,876 photos, 4,354 members
- Hong Kong Nostalgia 懷舊香港 61,609 photos, 3,948 members
- ToXiC CoLoRS 27,745 photos, 1,777 members
- THE WORLD’S LEADING YOUNG PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY COMMUNITY 23,088 photos, 1,645 members
- basmati - authentic help 50 photos, 4 members
- Shoot A Cop! 1,716 photos, 339 members
- STD ISD PCO 36 photos, 7 members
- Bowlers 178 photos, 813 members
- Photos for the Photojojo Book! 807 photos, 306 members
- New Indian Express Photo. 3,439 photos, 355 members
- now stop 131 photos, 269 members
- imagery crisis 2,623 photos, 252 members
- come together 2,049 photos, 180 members
- Idealist Photographers 279 photos, 43 members
- Flickr Turns 4 2,400 photos, 4,868 members
- Shiva's Wheels! (Indian vehicles) 3,644 photos, 335 members
- The WACC Photographic Competition 2009 1,247 photos, 916 members
- Top 20 Decay Photos 22 photos, 530 members
- Unique - One of a Kind 5,929 photos, 233 members
- nowomansland 4,489 photos, 370 members
- Lonely Planet Publications: Photobook 345,581 photos, 9,732 members
- "Smörgåsbord" (Unlimited Posting - Award 3) 422,590 photos, 4,787 members
penelope gan says:
"I was converted instantly to an Akshay fan the moment I stumbled upon your stream. Beautiful genuine work. Amazing writing. Truly talented. Thanks for sharing."
November 8th, 2008
"akshay is my favourite"
December 9th, 2008
Bombay Addict says:
"He's just brilliant and he's gonna a long, long way. It's just an absolute delight to see his photos."
July 6th, 2008
"The work of lecercle is not only inspiring, it is also important. He takes us to places and shows us things we need to see; he introduces us to people we need to meet. His work is earthy and awesome. Thank you."
April 12th, 2008
"I love your images, especially your black and white. Very moody, those deep blacks, low key tones are beautiful.
June 4th, 2007
shubhangi athalye says:
"Akshay is by far one of my favourite photographers...he is a true blue Mumbaikar--- his photos are not those of a geeking tourist or of the blinkered middle class, nor those of the uppity intellectual ......he is not aloof but a participant observer, one who steps back to take a picture and then joins the flow....his photos don't expose the grimness of people's lives for the world to geek at but captures the robustness of this wondrous city which embraces many worlds in its fold.
He has given us a glimse of a lot these worlds.......but what I like best about his photography is that it does not seem like a cultivated craft but a necessity to him....he has to breathe, he has to take photographs......his prolificity is a treat for us who log on, assured that he will share something with us most days ....he's not stingy with his sharing...uploads photos like clockwork.....for us to smile at, to introspect, to brood over, to enjoy !!
And most importantly, for a veteran flickrite...he doesn't play to the galllery !! Its still his unique perspective and not what will appeal to others that matters to him !!
Hope the 'lecercle' brand prospers, and many good wishes for his wanderings ......on the condition that he shares all of them with us !!"
February 22nd, 2007
"Akshay is the perfect photographer. He captures slices of the everyday in his photos, always focusing on people, their actions and agency. It's a most pleasurable relief to be able to browse his photos of people in India - they are respectful, unlike most of the photos we are inundated with, both on flickr and in the mainstream global media. Akshay's eyes don't fix people, make them into scenery, or pity them.
He is an endlessly reflective traveler within his city, showing us all the most beautiful of what his eyes see. Most of all, he is so incredibly modest! He even let me print a few of his photos for my bedroom wall. :)"
January 15th, 2007
"Akshay's photos of India are *inspiring*. He's easily one of my favorite contributors on Flickr."
November 28th, 2006
""lecercle' aka Akshay Mahajan certainly gives 'complexes' to veterans like me with such excellent and prolific work.. Proud to personally know such a gifted youngman. He is destined to go far as long as he does not compromise himself for mere commercial gains."
October 15th, 2006
"i love akshay's photography. they are so vivid and the colours are so vibrant. i love it, i love it, i love it. my kind of photography - ones that jump out and capture you. makes we want to come to india and experience it myself - which i will in a few years."
July 6th, 2006
"Le Cercle, I find your depth of knowledge no less fascinating than the things, places, and people you admire."
June 30th, 2006
"Great Pictures! I love the Mumbai pictures. (Being a ex-Mumbaikar myself)"
June 21st, 2006
"I found this site by accident, but I'm glad I did This young man will go to the top, to have this much talent at such a young age is quite remarkable.
What we are seeing are not pictures. they are a view of an artist who just happens to use a camera to record moments that 99% of us don't see. His talent is up there with the best. of MAGNUM."
June 20th, 2006
360 degree viewer says:
"One photographer who likes to let his pictures speak for themselves ..."
June 6th, 2006
"I know this guy in the school days and he always had the creative spark and genius in him. But never , until now , have I seem his talents in full show. His talents in photography are unbounded and I wish him the absolute best in life."
June 2nd, 2006
Kaushal Karkhanis says:
"Akshay sees beauty and photo-op in the dullest, simplest or even the most inconspicuous 'moments in life'. He's my favorite photographer from India!"
May 19th, 2006
!!! Monika !!! says:
"I love how he is showing us India.
He has a good taste, he knows where natural beauty is hidden.
There's no hiding anything from him!
His vivid portraits of the local community are brilliant for me :)"
May 12th, 2006
Not only a beautiful name, but a beautiful vision as well.
I would have to say that he is one of my favourite photographers. Not only because of his talent, but because of the diversity and variety that is so obviously seen in his work!
You travel his India from the view of a tourist, a native, a child, an adult, and all these other perspectives. It is so exciting and certainly one that I love!
Lecercle, a ever-evolving talent, with a vision that is continually expanding and changing.
If you want to see the world in so many ways, and also one where you don't want to blink, then this is the right stream to be at.
Never stop clickin', and remember that CHAI ;-)
Cheers, Best wishes."
April 1st, 2006
Lipsstick Gallery says:
"lecercle has such wonderful insight into the human spirit. He portrays his subjects with dignity and has a special talent for capturing the spirit of children. I enjoy his photographs very much."
March 12th, 2006
"Well Mr lecercle...dunno much about him really -
BUT.... he never ceases to amaze me (and every1 else) with his aweome images of the city I love and miss so much. The potrayal of Mumbai in his photos is so interesting and innovative - unlike the polluted, dirty, crowded image a lot of people have been given, of the beautiful country called India.
I must say - all his photos are not only shot and editied well but also have a lot of creativity and 'theme' to them.
Great work boss - keep the photos coming, theyre one of the few things that keep me sane in this insane place :)"
September 29th, 2005
- November 2004
- New Delhi, India
- I am:
- Male and Single
- akshaym [at] gmail.com