A defining attribute of photography is its literalness. The very nature of the technology seems to portray the world as it is rather than as a representation. Even when in camera and post production techniques are employed to alter what the camera sees, the images that are created either fool the viewer into believing that what is produced is a faithful description of reality or depend upon the presumed accuracy of photographic recording to produce an intellectual disconnect between what is expected by the viewer and what is being seen.
Rather than accentuate the reality of the photo, the images here describe photography as a representational art form as much akin to painting, drawing and sculpture as to traditional photographic techniques.
Photos of lawroberts (7)
- 60 TO 100+ FAVES 94,670 photos, 2,960 members
- 50 + FAVORITES 96,216 photos, 2,891 members
- 50 - Fifty Faves 41,594 photos, 1,443 members
- 50 Favorites and counting!! 49,478 photos, 1,789 members
- 50+ Favorites 61,657 photos, 1,766 members
- 50+ Faves (Post 1, Comment +Fave 2) 37,003 photos, 1,368 members
- 50 faves 144,585 photos, 4,515 members
- ♦♦♦ All Shades of Blue / Light Blue & Turquoise ♦♦♦ 18,456 photos, 1,277 members
- Photographic Excellence (Post 1 Award 1) 57,278 photos, 3,511 members
- details 10 + faves (POST ONE = FAVE TWO) 5,012 photos, 181 members
- *500x500 -- Best Of (CONTEST #023 OPEN - Post WINNER500 Pics. 3,614 photos, 560 members
- Contemporary Paintings 7,038 photos, 219 members
- Abstract Painters 13,945 photos, 559 members
- The Second Quadrado 2,773 photos, 200 members
- Quadrado / No flowers,no children,no frames 27,650 photos, 853 members
- WINNERS GALLERY Viva la Vida! (P1-A5) 21,529 photos, 1,980 members
- 35+ faves/ P 1- F 2 1,811 photos, 302 members
- Maximal minimalism 46,458 photos, 2,922 members
- mail exchange art 95,595 photos, 2,295 members
- 40 Faves and less than 800 Views (when posted) 5,585 photos, 1,286 members
- umbreɭɭa ɭand 601 photos, 71 members
- Frame It! ~Level 01~ (P1/A5) Closed till 23 Sept 193,184 photos, 6,068 members
- Crown Photography Prestige. Invited Images Only 1,451 photos, 126 members
- Flickr Bronze Trophy Group (Post 1 MUST Comment 5!) 216,678 photos, 7,314 members
- 30-FAV-Natur-nature 27,703 photos, 2,409 members
- Selected minimum 18,950 photos, 1,331 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 26,712 photos, 637 members
- 50 Favs and less than 500 Views (when posted) 6,176 photos, 250 members
- Top of the fog (> 20 faves) 7,222 photos, 1,848 members
- Graphisme + Couleurs, c'est le Bonheur! [ p1 a1 ] 1,441 photos, 172 members
- Apollo and Dionysus (Moderated) P1/C3 13,807 photos, 323 members
- ignis ∆ art // invite only /// 2,127 photos, 186 members
- My_Way♫♫♫... 38,750 photos, 1,955 members
- NewYork-Cherbourg3450/Cherbourg-NewYork5528 12,361 photos, 262 members
- Quality Portrait Photography 51,557 photos, 6,858 members
- AA Ubercool 105,450 photos, 4,658 members
- *Artist of the Year*~L6 Double Diamond ~Invite Only 12,300 photos, 2,189 members
- ETERNAL LONELINESS 16,963 photos, 658 members
- Creative Photo MATCHLESS _ ***next generation*** 912 photos, 122 members
- Architectural Zen 4,512 photos, 364 members
- Tra un Manifesto e Lo Specchio - High quality images 652,538 photos, 12,140 members
- Level 7 Photography for Recreation - Elite Club P1/A5 30,222 photos, 3,641 members
- *Artist of the Year*~L5 The Diamond Award ~Invite Only 17,937 photos, 2,965 members
- *Artist of the Year*~L4 Double Platinum~P1/A5 32,837 photos, 4,057 members
- Fine Gold 1,761,730 photos, 42,084 members
- 50 Faves and less than 1000 Views(when posted) 9,983 photos, 1,358 members
- Melegnano ars flickr 227 photos, 27 members
- Photos that should be exhibited in Tate Modern 4,638 photos, 140 members
- My absolute favorite pictures 146,213 photos, 4,042 members
- Creative Photo LEV 4 ***next generation*** _ MASTER OF ADVANCED 119 photos, 45 members
"Refreshingly different, serious about his art, unique: this is Larry. He has a vital part to play on Flickr in the timely debate about where photography ends and where digital painting begins. Some of the works in his “The Human Form” and “Still Life” sets are reminiscent of Patrick Caulfield or David Hockney, though Larry also has abstract work such as “Lines Of Force.” With a charm all of its own, Larry’s body of work is distinctive, fascinating and cool enough to ice up the Hudson River."
December 11th, 2007
"Not the most common photographer on flickr, but one with a unique style. Very powerful graphic compositions which attract attention from the pool of thumbnails."
August 24th, 2007
"lawroberts rocks. simple like that."
October 5th, 2006
"certainly one of the more original and provocative image-makers on flickr...or elswhere."
September 29th, 2005
"I love lawroberts' unique style and artistic rigour.
His photographs appear nearly abstract and stripped of extraneous detail - however, they belie an nearly-obsessive attention to detail and deep knowledge of what is important, and what is left behind.
I always look forward to new artwork in lawroberts' stream!"
June 5th, 2005
Auntie K says:
"I have admired Lawrobert’s images from the moment I saw his icon. The distinctive shape, smooth flowing lines and primary colors attracted me to his photo stream and have kept me coming back almost every day!
His images contain the wonder of a child’s first experiment with shape and color They capture the startling beauty of girls in bathing suits, or the energy of a man touching his toes, or the serenity of a perfectly shaped tree. His extraordinary eye captures these wonders and his technique constructs them out of thin air for our delight! How does he do it? Magic, maybe? Enjoy!"
May 20th, 2005
- Lawrence Roberts
- October 2004
- New York City
- New York City, United States
- I am:
- Male and Single