Raised on a farm I live and work in eastern Montana actively fulfilling my life-long dream to photograph the back roads and hidden corners of the American West.
I am an admirer of iconic symbols of American culture and often find myself spending much of my time making photographs of the remote, anonymous landmarks that dot Montana's landscape. I hope my photographs show my fondness for eastern Montana where I find many of the old abandoned homesteads, churches, schoolhouses, and grain elevators that distinguish my photos. I also spend much of my time photographing cowboys, farmers, Native American Indians, and railroad workers, whose culture and traditional way of life is threatened by the hands of time.
I currently live in Havre, but I consider the gravel roads of the American west my home as I travel from one corner of the state to the other seeking interesting stories to capture with my camera.
My photos have been published in Montana Magazine, Popular Photography, Newsweek, People, Sports Illustrated, and many other publications, newspapers, websites, calendars and books. I am available for assignment and contract work, my images are available for purchase as prints, and my work can be licensed for commercial use.
my web site
my phone: (406) 282-1718
- Lakes of the World 38,868 photos, 4,614 members
- Skylines around the world 61,280 photos, 4,891 members
- Skylines, Cityscapes, Skyscrapers & Large Bridges 3,764 photos, 682 members
- Publish and be Damned! - TEARSHEETS 265 photos, 474 members
- Full of Hot Air 17,878 photos, 3,312 members
- American Flag 24,892 photos, 4,486 members
- PopPhoto.com Photo of the Day 118,448 photos, 4,210 members
- Best of Bovine Photography 782 photos, 96 members
- Bombers 11,985 photos, 634 members
- U.S. Air Force 2,930 photos, 183 members
- Aviation World 29,539 photos, 539 members
- Documentary Portraiture 23,934 photos, 2,102 members
- 121clicks 15,771 photos, 7,475 members
- FLY TYING AND FISHING 5,398 photos, 649 members
- Green Green Green Things 32,120 photos, 2,452 members
- 99+ favorites 1,336 photos, 200 members
- Tractors and Other Farm Equipment 36,505 photos, 3,583 members
- Industry 77,257 photos, 5,370 members
- People at Work 6,337 photos, 707 members
- Small Towns 10,711 photos, 444 members
- Power Lines 22,557 photos, 4,203 members
- Agriculture 17,128 photos, 924 members
- Grain Elevators 5,419 photos, 408 members
- US Route 2 202 photos, 43 members
- Farming Life 22,505 photos, 1,115 members
- The Palouse 3,929 photos, 298 members
- Pacific Northwest 344,178 photos, 8,687 members
- Todd Klassy Workshop Group 0 photos, 1 member
- Native American Photography 992 photos, 162 members
- New Glarus 1 photo, 1 member
- Less Is More... 46,963 photos, 45,641 members
- Urban Flattened 1,896 photos, 376 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 388,401 photos, 11,803 members
- Cars Cars Cars 784,476 photos, 20,784 members
- Backgrounds 3,351 photos, 381 members
- Photojournalism & Photojournalists 246,757 photos, 10,053 members
- orange 34,511 photos, 3,045 members
- Texture 108,195 photos, 8,262 members
- Beautiful Light 1,017,108 photos, 41,883 members
- Nature Shots 1,114,543 photos, 36,849 members
- Fishing 33,966 photos, 4,919 members
- AUTOS (CARS) 538,426 photos, 6,850 members
- Cool Cars 395,576 photos, 7,930 members
- Cars from the Past: Classic Cars 511,309 photos, 14,484 members
- Architecture 1,525,126 photos, 88,963 members
- Magic Moments 1,046,225 photos, 35,975 members
- RawShooter 58,887 photos, 1,616 members
- Photography Corner 197,502 photos, 4,275 members
- One a Day 190,317 photos, 4,243 members
- Beauty is Simple 228,516 photos, 6,291 members
save it for a rainy day says:
"Todd Klassy has a unique ability to take the natural in Wisconsin and render it supernatural.
His pictures always contain unique perspective, sublime composition and eye-popping color.
Through his lens, Wisconsin and the American Midwest are transformed into magic.
I consider Todd Klassy to be the premier photographer in Southern Wisconsin."
August 30th, 2009
Painted Light says:
"Todd has inspired many people, not only though his imaginative photography and careful attention to detail which has rendered many wonderful examples of his artistic abilities but Todd Klassy is a man of character.
As a result of his dedication to sharing his knowledge and best practices, there are many who have benefitted from his tireless generosity and dedication to the art of photography."
August 21st, 2009
"I have been an admirer of Todd Klassy’s photography for several years now. As a fellow Wisconsinite, I am always looking forward to seeing what wonderful beauty his camera has captured of our beautiful state. To me, he has captured much of the essence of our state’s beauty – its majestic farmlands, the delicate beauty of a Wisconsin winter, the intricate architecture of buildings in Madison and Milwaukee. To me, his work is very inspiring. He sees and expertly captures beautiful scenes that many people including myself might take for granted. For example, I’ve lived in Madison for over 10 years, and yet, when I look through his photographs, I realize that there is more beauty to places that I might have walked past everyday. Besides his obvious talent for being able to capture a beautiful scene, he is also very eager to share his knowledge. He has been a regular contributor to photographic discussion here on flickr and on other websites and I have learned quite a bit just from looking through his photostream. I understand that recently Todd has made photography his occupation. I wish him the best of luck in his latest endeavor. Todd certainly has the talent to excel as a professional photographer, and I’m sure that many people will eventually (if not already) consider him one of the best photographers in Wisconsin and beyond!"
August 11th, 2009
Robert Windel says:
"Ironic that Todd's last name is Klassy, because his work rings of just that: true class! He is the photographer we all aspire to become. His images encapsulate the beauty around us that most pass by without noticing, and that us fellow photographers struggle to capture. The purity of his work is motivating, and distinguishes him apart from the vast sea of photographers out there today. And like most who are confident in themselves and their work, he is modest towards compliments, and helpful to those who seek answers. From composition to exposure to contrast and saturation, he nails it every time. Thanks for the inspiration, Todd!"
August 11th, 2009
"what comes to my mind about Todd Klassy's photography? Exposure, color, sharpness, composition and style.
Exposure: perfect. Color: accurate, bold and bright. Sharpness: smooth and cut-throat sharp. Most importantly, composition: spontaneous, free, and unconventional, which gives him his distinctively optimistic and journalistic style.
Those are the ingredients for great photography. As an amateur photographer, I admire his photography and his hard-working and professionalism. As a Flickr's member, I come here to be inspired and to learn, and to continue being amazed by his pictures!!!
Happy shooting, my man!!! :)"
August 10th, 2009
"Todd's images are stunning, iconic and original.
I have enjoyed looking at his work over the years as we have also enjoyed a professional partnership as administrators of the 5D group.
Todd's advice to other Flickr users was always salient, straightforward and to the point. His honesty and no nonsense attitude carries through to his photography.
I wish him all the luck in his new career as a professional photographer, although with his eye for wonderful images and honest approach I'm sure he won't need any.
August 10th, 2009
"Todd's images capture my mind in so many wonderful and incredible ways. There is a unique sense of order embedded in the beautiful images he made. This has somehow becomes his trademark for me and I think critics will say that is the "Klassy (Classic) Style." More than that, his pursuit of perfection makes him a photographer who constantly interrogates photographic elements in order to recreate images that surpass the seeing and viewing we are used to. Over the years I have known him, he has been recreating himself and his art. I know his dedication to photography will definitely keep the evolution going strong and well. He is a respectable and an exceptional photographer!"
August 9th, 2009
Keith Taylor Photography says:
"Todd has a particular ability to not only recognize the beauty that surrounds each of us on a day to day basis -- but then to record it in vivid color that is nearly impossible to pass by without stopping to take the time to admire. In addition to this he seems to have a clear understanding about how to get these colors to reproduce accurately both on screen and in print - this being just as important as the capturing process when shooting commercially."
August 9th, 2009
mizz maze says:
"I first came across Todd's photos when searching for pictures of Wisconsin for a book project. I became an instant fan of his clean, beautifully composed images. Each one tells an important story and leaves you wanting to see what you'll see from him next."
August 9th, 2009
"I first found Todd's photos while looking through photos of Wisconsin to feed the nostalgia for my former home. I was hooked instantly. I've immensely enjoyed his travel photos, particularly to the Pacific Northwest, my new home. I love how he captures the simplicity, the essence, the very core of a place with uncluttered images and striking photographs. I always look forward to what will appear next on his Flickr page!"
August 8th, 2009
"I stumbled on to Todd's images a few months back and was amazed at how varied his shots were and the pure quality of each. Compared to a lot of 'flickr-ites' (myself included) Todd seems to produce exceptional images without having to go through the motions of extreme processing. This I can gather from just viewing them. I maybe wrong, but that's just how it appears to me. (he'll have to let me know if I am wrong). Either way, his photos are a joy to behold."
August 8th, 2009
"Todd has an incredible way of recognizing and then capturing the stuff in the world around us, often with a very unique perspective."
February 4th, 2006
"I am stunned by the beauty of Todd's work. It is simultaneously bold and subtle, unique and familiar, crisp and soft. Viewing each set in slide show format is a must!"
January 4th, 2006
- Todd Klassy
- May 2005
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Havre, Montana, USA
- A remarkably loyal and sometimes cranky professional photographer.
- todd [at] toddklassy.com