Raised on a farm I live and work in eastern Montana actively fulfilling my life-long dream to photograph the back roads and hidden corners of the American West.
I am an admirer of iconic symbols of American culture and often find myself spending much of my time making photographs of the remote, anonymous landmarks that dot Montana's landscape. I hope my photographs show my fondness for eastern Montana where I find many of the old abandoned homesteads, churches, schoolhouses, and grain elevators that distinguish my photos. I also spend much of my time photographing cowboys, farmers, Native American Indians, and railroad workers, whose culture and traditional way of life is threatened by the hands of time.
I currently live in Havre, but I consider the gravel roads of the American west my home as I travel from one corner of the state to the other seeking interesting stories to capture with my camera.
My photos have been published in Montana Magazine, Popular Photography, Newsweek, People, Sports Illustrated, and many other publications, newspapers, websites, calendars and books. I am available for assignment and contract work, my images are available for purchase as prints, and my work can be licensed for commercial use.
my web site
my phone: (406) 282-1718
- Pole Aerial Photography - PAP 3,138 photos, 856 members
- Architecture 1,740,450 photos, 100,170 members
- Architecture Unlimited 56,428 photos, 5,156 members
- Wedding Photography Business 38,464 photos, 6,189 members
- Wedding Photojournalists who choose to progress! 42,675 photos, 5,225 members
- Wedding Photographers 219,534 photos, 27,758 members
- Wedding Photography 254,320 photos, 51,684 members
- Motorcycles 153,119 photos, 11,265 members
- Aviation 605,716 photos, 13,501 members
- Helicopters 76,555 photos, 3,659 members
- Helicopter Photos (Civilian and/or Military) 41,840 photos, 1,434 members
- Towers 19,984 photos, 1,873 members
- silhouette 384,024 photos, 60,811 members
- Rodeo Photos 22,486 photos, 1,726 members
- Child Photography 386,778 photos, 27,041 members
- A Child's Life 100,481 photos, 3,682 members
- Lakes of the World 64,566 photos, 6,623 members
- Skylines around the world 79,232 photos, 5,847 members
- Skylines, Cityscapes, Skyscrapers & Large Bridges 11,757 photos, 1,671 members
- Publish and be Damned! - TEARSHEETS 265 photos, 470 members
- Full of Hot Air 19,277 photos, 3,522 members
- American Flag 26,558 photos, 4,598 members
- PopPhoto.com Photo of the Day 185,427 photos, 5,145 members
- Best of Bovine Photography 874 photos, 120 members
- Bombers 14,284 photos, 718 members
- U.S. Air Force 3,837 photos, 229 members
- Aviation World 121,112 photos, 1,421 members
- Documentary Portraiture 32,981 photos, 2,398 members
- 121clicks 18,165 photos, 8,991 members
- FLY TYING AND FISHING 5,822 photos, 716 members
- Green Green Green Things 64,394 photos, 4,070 members
- 99+ favorites 2,269 photos, 469 members
- Tractors and Other Farm Equipment 47,387 photos, 3,919 members
- Industry 91,380 photos, 5,916 members
- People at Work 9,772 photos, 958 members
- Small Towns 16,063 photos, 595 members
- Power Lines 23,173 photos, 4,312 members
- Agriculture 23,924 photos, 1,136 members
- Grain Elevators 6,014 photos, 456 members
- US Route 2 248 photos, 53 members
- Farming Life 27,125 photos, 1,185 members
- The Palouse 4,745 photos, 356 members
- Pacific Northwest 395,983 photos, 9,433 members
- Todd Klassy Workshop Group 0 photos, 1 member
- Native American Photography 1,544 photos, 197 members
- New Glarus 2 photos, 1 member
- Less Is More... 50,412 photos, 56,150 members
- Urban Flattened 1,974 photos, 389 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 446,409 photos, 12,802 members
- Cars Cars Cars 965,909 photos, 22,489 members
save it for a rainy day says:
"Todd Klassy has a unique ability to take the natural in Wisconsin and render it supernatural.
His pictures always contain unique perspective, sublime composition and eye-popping color.
Through his lens, Wisconsin and the American Midwest are transformed into magic.
I consider Todd Klassy to be the premier photographer in Southern Wisconsin."
August 30th, 2009
Painted Light says:
"Todd has inspired many people, not only though his imaginative photography and careful attention to detail which has rendered many wonderful examples of his artistic abilities but Todd Klassy is a man of character.
As a result of his dedication to sharing his knowledge and best practices, there are many who have benefitted from his tireless generosity and dedication to the art of photography."
August 21st, 2009
"I have been an admirer of Todd Klassy’s photography for several years now. As a fellow Wisconsinite, I am always looking forward to seeing what wonderful beauty his camera has captured of our beautiful state. To me, he has captured much of the essence of our state’s beauty – its majestic farmlands, the delicate beauty of a Wisconsin winter, the intricate architecture of buildings in Madison and Milwaukee. To me, his work is very inspiring. He sees and expertly captures beautiful scenes that many people including myself might take for granted. For example, I’ve lived in Madison for over 10 years, and yet, when I look through his photographs, I realize that there is more beauty to places that I might have walked past everyday. Besides his obvious talent for being able to capture a beautiful scene, he is also very eager to share his knowledge. He has been a regular contributor to photographic discussion here on flickr and on other websites and I have learned quite a bit just from looking through his photostream. I understand that recently Todd has made photography his occupation. I wish him the best of luck in his latest endeavor. Todd certainly has the talent to excel as a professional photographer, and I’m sure that many people will eventually (if not already) consider him one of the best photographers in Wisconsin and beyond!"
August 11th, 2009
Robert Windel says:
"Ironic that Todd's last name is Klassy, because his work rings of just that: true class! He is the photographer we all aspire to become. His images encapsulate the beauty around us that most pass by without noticing, and that us fellow photographers struggle to capture. The purity of his work is motivating, and distinguishes him apart from the vast sea of photographers out there today. And like most who are confident in themselves and their work, he is modest towards compliments, and helpful to those who seek answers. From composition to exposure to contrast and saturation, he nails it every time. Thanks for the inspiration, Todd!"
August 11th, 2009
"what comes to my mind about Todd Klassy's photography? Exposure, color, sharpness, composition and style.
Exposure: perfect. Color: accurate, bold and bright. Sharpness: smooth and cut-throat sharp. Most importantly, composition: spontaneous, free, and unconventional, which gives him his distinctively optimistic and journalistic style.
Those are the ingredients for great photography. As an amateur photographer, I admire his photography and his hard-working and professionalism. As a Flickr's member, I come here to be inspired and to learn, and to continue being amazed by his pictures!!!
Happy shooting, my man!!! :)"
August 10th, 2009
"Todd's images are stunning, iconic and original.
I have enjoyed looking at his work over the years as we have also enjoyed a professional partnership as administrators of the 5D group.
Todd's advice to other Flickr users was always salient, straightforward and to the point. His honesty and no nonsense attitude carries through to his photography.
I wish him all the luck in his new career as a professional photographer, although with his eye for wonderful images and honest approach I'm sure he won't need any.
August 10th, 2009
"Todd's images capture my mind in so many wonderful and incredible ways. There is a unique sense of order embedded in the beautiful images he made. This has somehow becomes his trademark for me and I think critics will say that is the "Klassy (Classic) Style." More than that, his pursuit of perfection makes him a photographer who constantly interrogates photographic elements in order to recreate images that surpass the seeing and viewing we are used to. Over the years I have known him, he has been recreating himself and his art. I know his dedication to photography will definitely keep the evolution going strong and well. He is a respectable and an exceptional photographer!"
August 9th, 2009
Keith Taylor Photography says:
"Todd has a particular ability to not only recognize the beauty that surrounds each of us on a day to day basis -- but then to record it in vivid color that is nearly impossible to pass by without stopping to take the time to admire. In addition to this he seems to have a clear understanding about how to get these colors to reproduce accurately both on screen and in print - this being just as important as the capturing process when shooting commercially."
August 9th, 2009
mizz maze says:
"I first came across Todd's photos when searching for pictures of Wisconsin for a book project. I became an instant fan of his clean, beautifully composed images. Each one tells an important story and leaves you wanting to see what you'll see from him next."
August 9th, 2009
"I first found Todd's photos while looking through photos of Wisconsin to feed the nostalgia for my former home. I was hooked instantly. I've immensely enjoyed his travel photos, particularly to the Pacific Northwest, my new home. I love how he captures the simplicity, the essence, the very core of a place with uncluttered images and striking photographs. I always look forward to what will appear next on his Flickr page!"
August 8th, 2009
"I stumbled on to Todd's images a few months back and was amazed at how varied his shots were and the pure quality of each. Compared to a lot of 'flickr-ites' (myself included) Todd seems to produce exceptional images without having to go through the motions of extreme processing. This I can gather from just viewing them. I maybe wrong, but that's just how it appears to me. (he'll have to let me know if I am wrong). Either way, his photos are a joy to behold."
August 8th, 2009
"Todd has an incredible way of recognizing and then capturing the stuff in the world around us, often with a very unique perspective."
February 4th, 2006
"I am stunned by the beauty of Todd's work. It is simultaneously bold and subtle, unique and familiar, crisp and soft. Viewing each set in slide show format is a must!"
January 4th, 2006
- Todd Klassy
- May 2005
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Montana, USA
- A remarkably loyal and sometimes cranky professional photographer.
- todd [at] toddklassy.com