Raised on a farm I live and work in eastern Montana actively fulfilling my life-long dream to photograph the back roads and hidden corners of the American West.
I am an admirer of iconic symbols of American culture and often find myself spending much of my time making photographs of the remote, anonymous landmarks that dot Montana's landscape. I hope my photographs show my fondness for eastern Montana where I find many of the old abandoned homesteads, churches, schoolhouses, and grain elevators that distinguish my photos. I also spend much of my time photographing cowboys, farmers, Native American Indians, and railroad workers, whose culture and traditional way of life is threatened by the hands of time.
I currently live in Havre, but I consider the gravel roads of the American west my home as I travel from one corner of the state to the other seeking interesting stories to capture with my camera.
My photos have been published in Montana Magazine, Popular Photography, Newsweek, People, Sports Illustrated, and many other publications, newspapers, websites, calendars and books. I am available for assignment and contract work, my images are available for purchase as prints, and my work can be licensed for commercial use.
my web site
my phone: (406) 282-1718
- Wedding Photography Business 33,553 photos, 5,449 members
- Wedding Photojournalists who choose to progress! 35,412 photos, 4,477 members
- Wedding Photographers 206,017 photos, 25,759 members
- Wedding Photography 245,823 photos, 50,206 members
- Motorcycles 140,045 photos, 10,710 members
- Aviation 494,561 photos, 12,790 members
- Helicopters 66,268 photos, 3,530 members
- Helicopter Photos (Civilian and/or Military) 30,551 photos, 1,155 members
- Towers 17,485 photos, 1,682 members
- silhouette 364,061 photos, 55,616 members
- Rodeo Photos 20,484 photos, 1,650 members
- Child Photography 359,283 photos, 25,787 members
- A Child's Life 88,062 photos, 3,315 members
- Lakes of the World 47,262 photos, 5,268 members
- Skylines around the world 67,104 photos, 5,235 members
- Skylines, Cityscapes, Skyscrapers & Large Bridges 5,788 photos, 961 members
- Publish and be Damned! - TEARSHEETS 265 photos, 471 members
- Full of Hot Air 18,515 photos, 3,413 members
- American Flag 25,453 photos, 4,526 members
- PopPhoto.com Photo of the Day 141,067 photos, 4,539 members
- Best of Bovine Photography 781 photos, 105 members
- Bombers 12,905 photos, 671 members
- U.S. Air Force 3,198 photos, 193 members
- Aviation World 52,662 photos, 811 members
- Documentary Portraiture 26,546 photos, 2,203 members
- 121clicks 16,689 photos, 7,977 members
- FLY TYING AND FISHING 5,536 photos, 665 members
- Green Green Green Things 40,883 photos, 2,871 members
- 99+ favorites 1,526 photos, 265 members
- Tractors and Other Farm Equipment 41,105 photos, 3,712 members
- Industry 81,704 photos, 5,549 members
- People at Work 7,308 photos, 778 members
- Small Towns 11,897 photos, 487 members
- Power Lines 22,752 photos, 4,246 members
- Agriculture 19,497 photos, 998 members
- Grain Elevators 5,609 photos, 420 members
- US Route 2 214 photos, 44 members
- Farming Life 24,080 photos, 1,149 members
- The Palouse 4,122 photos, 311 members
- Pacific Northwest 362,808 photos, 8,956 members
- Todd Klassy Workshop Group 0 photos, 1 member
- Native American Photography 1,220 photos, 174 members
- New Glarus 1 photo, 1 member
- Less Is More... 43,401 photos, 50,050 members
- Urban Flattened 1,931 photos, 376 members
- Abandoned, Neglected, Weathered, or Rusty 409,206 photos, 12,238 members
- Cars Cars Cars 846,155 photos, 21,592 members
- Backgrounds 3,629 photos, 399 members
- Photojournalism & Photojournalists 260,609 photos, 10,337 members
- orange 35,529 photos, 3,073 members
save it for a rainy day says:
"Todd Klassy has a unique ability to take the natural in Wisconsin and render it supernatural.
His pictures always contain unique perspective, sublime composition and eye-popping color.
Through his lens, Wisconsin and the American Midwest are transformed into magic.
I consider Todd Klassy to be the premier photographer in Southern Wisconsin."
August 30th, 2009
Painted Light says:
"Todd has inspired many people, not only though his imaginative photography and careful attention to detail which has rendered many wonderful examples of his artistic abilities but Todd Klassy is a man of character.
As a result of his dedication to sharing his knowledge and best practices, there are many who have benefitted from his tireless generosity and dedication to the art of photography."
August 21st, 2009
"I have been an admirer of Todd Klassy’s photography for several years now. As a fellow Wisconsinite, I am always looking forward to seeing what wonderful beauty his camera has captured of our beautiful state. To me, he has captured much of the essence of our state’s beauty – its majestic farmlands, the delicate beauty of a Wisconsin winter, the intricate architecture of buildings in Madison and Milwaukee. To me, his work is very inspiring. He sees and expertly captures beautiful scenes that many people including myself might take for granted. For example, I’ve lived in Madison for over 10 years, and yet, when I look through his photographs, I realize that there is more beauty to places that I might have walked past everyday. Besides his obvious talent for being able to capture a beautiful scene, he is also very eager to share his knowledge. He has been a regular contributor to photographic discussion here on flickr and on other websites and I have learned quite a bit just from looking through his photostream. I understand that recently Todd has made photography his occupation. I wish him the best of luck in his latest endeavor. Todd certainly has the talent to excel as a professional photographer, and I’m sure that many people will eventually (if not already) consider him one of the best photographers in Wisconsin and beyond!"
August 11th, 2009
Robert Windel says:
"Ironic that Todd's last name is Klassy, because his work rings of just that: true class! He is the photographer we all aspire to become. His images encapsulate the beauty around us that most pass by without noticing, and that us fellow photographers struggle to capture. The purity of his work is motivating, and distinguishes him apart from the vast sea of photographers out there today. And like most who are confident in themselves and their work, he is modest towards compliments, and helpful to those who seek answers. From composition to exposure to contrast and saturation, he nails it every time. Thanks for the inspiration, Todd!"
August 11th, 2009
"what comes to my mind about Todd Klassy's photography? Exposure, color, sharpness, composition and style.
Exposure: perfect. Color: accurate, bold and bright. Sharpness: smooth and cut-throat sharp. Most importantly, composition: spontaneous, free, and unconventional, which gives him his distinctively optimistic and journalistic style.
Those are the ingredients for great photography. As an amateur photographer, I admire his photography and his hard-working and professionalism. As a Flickr's member, I come here to be inspired and to learn, and to continue being amazed by his pictures!!!
Happy shooting, my man!!! :)"
August 10th, 2009
"Todd's images are stunning, iconic and original.
I have enjoyed looking at his work over the years as we have also enjoyed a professional partnership as administrators of the 5D group.
Todd's advice to other Flickr users was always salient, straightforward and to the point. His honesty and no nonsense attitude carries through to his photography.
I wish him all the luck in his new career as a professional photographer, although with his eye for wonderful images and honest approach I'm sure he won't need any.
August 10th, 2009
"Todd's images capture my mind in so many wonderful and incredible ways. There is a unique sense of order embedded in the beautiful images he made. This has somehow becomes his trademark for me and I think critics will say that is the "Klassy (Classic) Style." More than that, his pursuit of perfection makes him a photographer who constantly interrogates photographic elements in order to recreate images that surpass the seeing and viewing we are used to. Over the years I have known him, he has been recreating himself and his art. I know his dedication to photography will definitely keep the evolution going strong and well. He is a respectable and an exceptional photographer!"
August 9th, 2009
Keith Taylor Photography says:
"Todd has a particular ability to not only recognize the beauty that surrounds each of us on a day to day basis -- but then to record it in vivid color that is nearly impossible to pass by without stopping to take the time to admire. In addition to this he seems to have a clear understanding about how to get these colors to reproduce accurately both on screen and in print - this being just as important as the capturing process when shooting commercially."
August 9th, 2009
mizz maze says:
"I first came across Todd's photos when searching for pictures of Wisconsin for a book project. I became an instant fan of his clean, beautifully composed images. Each one tells an important story and leaves you wanting to see what you'll see from him next."
August 9th, 2009
"I first found Todd's photos while looking through photos of Wisconsin to feed the nostalgia for my former home. I was hooked instantly. I've immensely enjoyed his travel photos, particularly to the Pacific Northwest, my new home. I love how he captures the simplicity, the essence, the very core of a place with uncluttered images and striking photographs. I always look forward to what will appear next on his Flickr page!"
August 8th, 2009
"I stumbled on to Todd's images a few months back and was amazed at how varied his shots were and the pure quality of each. Compared to a lot of 'flickr-ites' (myself included) Todd seems to produce exceptional images without having to go through the motions of extreme processing. This I can gather from just viewing them. I maybe wrong, but that's just how it appears to me. (he'll have to let me know if I am wrong). Either way, his photos are a joy to behold."
August 8th, 2009
"Todd has an incredible way of recognizing and then capturing the stuff in the world around us, often with a very unique perspective."
February 4th, 2006
"I am stunned by the beauty of Todd's work. It is simultaneously bold and subtle, unique and familiar, crisp and soft. Viewing each set in slide show format is a must!"
January 4th, 2006
- Todd Klassy
- May 2005
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Montana, USA
- A remarkably loyal and sometimes cranky professional photographer.
- todd [at] toddklassy.com