By day I am a media analyst and follow emerging media technology trends and consumer adoption patterns and am a principal in my own company, Media Valuation Partners. If you are curious about my professional career, just Google my name.
My avocation, however, for the last 40 years, has been photography. I had the chance to do it professionally for awhile but now it is just something that brings me great pleasure. My very first camera, when I was 6, was one of those box cameras that took roll film (a size no longer made) but I really got my start when my father gave me a Pentax Spotmatic SLR as a high school graduation present. I used that camera for many years until screw mount lenses became too much of a hassle and I went Nikon and have been a loyalist ever since (we won't talk about a brief dalliance with Olympus).
As for me, I am tall (6'2"), very fair, blue-eyed, very active and who loves an adventure, both physical and intellectual.
I shoot color and black and white with a Nikon D3X and a Nikon D700 and infrared with a Nikon D70 modified by Lifepixel.
I own a wide range of lenses, including the:
Nikon 14-24mm AF-S FX f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G AF-S
Nikon 70-200/2.8 AF-S VRII f/2.8
Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR
Nikon 28-300mm FX VR
Nikon 16-35mm FX VR
Nikon 16mm f/2.8 Full Frame Fisheye
Nikon 24mm PC-E (perspective control)
Nikon 45mm PC-E
Nikon 50mm AF-S f/1.4
Nikon 60mm AF-D macro f/2.8
Nikon 85mm Macro PC-E (perspective control)
Nikon 105mm Macro AF-S f/2.8
I also use a couple of no-longer-made soft-focus lenses (the Sima 100mm and a Spiratone Portragon 100mm) which are rarely used for digital photography but are a lot of fun in specific circumstances.
My workflow consists of the following:
-Shooting RAW, running the images through DxO using a custom preset.
-Adjusting exposure in Photoshop CS4 and then using the full suite of Nik plugins.
- Iceland 2013 winter photo tours participant images 264 photos, 25 members
- NIKON D800E Group 41,858 photos, 1,614 members
- Nikon D800/D800E/D810 Users Group 451,771 photos, 14,938 members
- Painterly 63,085 photos, 2,185 members
- Tilt Shift 34,435 photos, 4,821 members
- Flypaper Textures 15,687 photos, 1,516 members
- Topaz Software 150,254 photos, 6,402 members
- Topaz Simplify 5,780 photos, 761 members
- Welcome To Oz 9,725 photos, 901 members
- Nik Software Photo Share 235,743 photos, 7,502 members
- ICM - Intentional Camera Movement - See recent discussions! 37,513 photos, 3,688 members
- What's in your camera bag? 2,250 photos, 4,648 members
- Topaz Adjust 85,894 photos, 3,055 members
- Nikon D700 317,446 photos, 15,435 members
- Nikon D300 Users 565,125 photos, 17,391 members
- Nikon D3 D3s D3x 87,131 photos, 5,568 members
- Digital Painting Techniques 11,565 photos, 903 members
- DxO users 26,911 photos, 973 members
- Soft Focus 1,347 photos, 881 members
- MOON Shots 119,672 photos, 24,936 members
- Nikon Digital 2,769,106 photos, 93,761 members
- Nikkor 247,928 photos, 10,060 members
- Photoshop HDR 5,093 photos, 576 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 933,711 photos, 28,107 members
- Stuck in Customs' Brilliant Cabal - My Cool and Clever Friends 115,117 photos, 4,076 members
- Photoshop Support Group 283,053 photos, 34,797 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 485,065 photos, 7,059 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 1,265,740 photos, 44,059 members
- Nikon D40/xD70/sD80/D90/D200/D300/D700/ D3/s/X 468,333 photos, 13,844 members
- PhotoShop 116,882 photos, 18,569 members
- Los Angeles 214,927 photos, 10,891 members
- The Los Angeles Group 93,857 photos, 3,203 members
- Converted Digital Infrared Cameras 33,867 photos, 2,167 members
- Kris Kros Contacts 137,898 photos, 4,050 members
- Antelope Canyon 6,632 photos, 1,409 members
- HDR 995,234 photos, 92,882 members
- Photomatix 473,330 photos, 20,497 members
"Larry is one of the photographers on flickr who really inspires me a lot. I love tho read the background of his marvelous shots and the photographic art in his stream. Now that his archives are opening up as well, I cannot wait to see more masterpieces from the film days.... Trust me... you won't regret a single minute visiting Larry's photo stream. Enjoy!"
October 28th, 2007
"i love the majestic photos of the buffalo friends! i've read countless books on bison, complete with photos, and the 'tall lumpy' is still the best picture ever!!"
August 31st, 2007
"Just view Mr. Gerbrandt's pictures from Olympic Peninsula. Quite simply AMAZING!"
April 26th, 2007
"Your photos are realy beautiful! I love them very much!
March 1st, 2007
"Larry's photos give me the same feeling as when I first saw the photos of Ansel Adams and the other classic masters from e.g. the f/64 group. Watching Larry's images is an inspiration, - you really want to get out there and do it yourself, - and there is still so much to learn.
But Larry does not keep his secrets to himself, but shares his knowledge with us all.
Larry is to digital photography what Ansel Adams was to analog. Larry is a true master."
December 29th, 2006
Treforlutions TreVizionz says:
"I'm always in awe of people whose passion shines through in what they love to do or gives them "great pleasure" as Larry puts it. And the pleasure is all mine with what I see of what Larry has seen and captured with his cameras and the vibrant images presented here for all to see in his photostream.
Words do not adequately describe Larry's visions (though he does a good job himself) of the world he visits, too many of them have left me speechless and somewhat humbled by the grandeur of his pictures. Take a look at the art of this adventurous man and see what you have to say."
December 24th, 2006
R-Rated Birdman says:
"Larry Gerbrandt is one talented photographer.
His images are inspiring.
I never tire looking at his images from the B&W set to his Vivid Color set. These are images to admire and learn from.
Larry's HDRI images are second to none. He is meticulous and has that photographer's eye that gets him those stunning photos. I know he has to put in a lot of hard work to produce so many stunning images and have to admire him for it.
Thanks for the inspiration Larry. I hope to follow your photography and learn from your images for years to come."
September 23rd, 2006
- Larry Gerbrandt
- June 2006
- San Jose, CA
- Los Angeles, USA
- I am:
- Male and Open
- Media Analyst
- lgerbrandt [at] sbcglobal.net
- Yahoo! IM: