By day I am a media analyst and follow emerging media technology trends and consumer adoption patterns and am a principal in my own company, Media Valuation Partners. If you are curious about my professional career, just Google my name.
My avocation, however, for the last 40 years, has been photography. I had the chance to do it professionally for awhile but now it is just something that brings me great pleasure. My very first camera, when I was 6, was one of those box cameras that took roll film (a size no longer made) but I really got my start when my father gave me a Pentax Spotmatic SLR as a high school graduation present. I used that camera for many years until screw mount lenses became too much of a hassle and I went Nikon and have been a loyalist ever since (we won't talk about a brief dalliance with Olympus).
As for me, I am tall (6'2"), very fair, blue-eyed, very active and who loves an adventure, both physical and intellectual.
I shoot color and black and white with a Nikon D3X and a Nikon D700 and infrared with a Nikon D70 modified by Lifepixel.
I own a wide range of lenses, including the:
Nikon 14-24mm AF-S FX f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G AF-S
Nikon 70-200/2.8 AF-S VRII f/2.8
Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR
Nikon 28-300mm FX VR
Nikon 16-35mm FX VR
Nikon 16mm f/2.8 Full Frame Fisheye
Nikon 24mm PC-E (perspective control)
Nikon 45mm PC-E
Nikon 50mm AF-S f/1.4
Nikon 60mm AF-D macro f/2.8
Nikon 85mm Macro PC-E (perspective control)
Nikon 105mm Macro AF-S f/2.8
I also use a couple of no-longer-made soft-focus lenses (the Sima 100mm and a Spiratone Portragon 100mm) which are rarely used for digital photography but are a lot of fun in specific circumstances.
My workflow consists of the following:
-Shooting RAW, running the images through DxO using a custom preset.
-Adjusting exposure in Photoshop CS4 and then using the full suite of Nik plugins.
- Iceland 2013 winter photo tours participant images 284 photos, 25 members
- NIKON D800E Group 36,475 photos, 1,539 members
- Nikon D800/D800E/D810 Users Group 363,555 photos, 13,864 members
- Painterly 53,906 photos, 1,997 members
- Tilt Shift 32,052 photos, 4,696 members
- Flypaper Textures 15,316 photos, 1,474 members
- Topaz Software 135,257 photos, 6,208 members
- Topaz Simplify 5,370 photos, 726 members
- Welcome To Oz 8,662 photos, 900 members
- Nik Software Photo Share 211,406 photos, 7,338 members
- ICM - Intentional Camera Movement - See recent discussions! 32,762 photos, 3,341 members
- What's in your camera bag? 2,187 photos, 4,486 members
- Topaz Adjust 78,657 photos, 3,027 members
- Nikon D700 303,143 photos, 15,078 members
- Nikon D300 Users 554,939 photos, 17,255 members
- Nikon D3 D3s D3x 82,088 photos, 5,455 members
- Digital Painting Techniques 9,466 photos, 852 members
- DxO users 21,344 photos, 879 members
- Soft Focus 1,338 photos, 854 members
- MOON Shots 110,012 photos, 23,661 members
- Nikon Digital 2,289,550 photos, 82,427 members
- Nikkor 230,534 photos, 9,723 members
- Photoshop HDR 4,647 photos, 566 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 759,012 photos, 25,650 members
- Stuck in Customs' Brilliant Cabal - My Cool and Clever Friends 111,836 photos, 4,066 members
- Photoshop Support Group 260,376 photos, 34,237 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 385,610 photos, 5,980 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 925,961 photos, 34,174 members
- Nikon D40/xD70/sD80/D90/D200/D300/D700/ D3/s/X 455,767 photos, 13,851 members
- PhotoShop 110,631 photos, 18,155 members
- Los Angeles 206,729 photos, 10,583 members
- The Los Angeles Group 87,390 photos, 3,110 members
- Converted Digital Infrared Cameras 31,239 photos, 2,067 members
- Kris Kros Contacts 136,258 photos, 4,063 members
- Antelope Canyon 6,278 photos, 1,314 members
- HDR 958,003 photos, 91,848 members
- Photomatix 444,879 photos, 20,166 members
"Larry is one of the photographers on flickr who really inspires me a lot. I love tho read the background of his marvelous shots and the photographic art in his stream. Now that his archives are opening up as well, I cannot wait to see more masterpieces from the film days.... Trust me... you won't regret a single minute visiting Larry's photo stream. Enjoy!"
October 28th, 2007
"i love the majestic photos of the buffalo friends! i've read countless books on bison, complete with photos, and the 'tall lumpy' is still the best picture ever!!"
August 31st, 2007
"Just view Mr. Gerbrandt's pictures from Olympic Peninsula. Quite simply AMAZING!"
April 26th, 2007
"Your photos are realy beautiful! I love them very much!
March 1st, 2007
"Larry's photos give me the same feeling as when I first saw the photos of Ansel Adams and the other classic masters from e.g. the f/64 group. Watching Larry's images is an inspiration, - you really want to get out there and do it yourself, - and there is still so much to learn.
But Larry does not keep his secrets to himself, but shares his knowledge with us all.
Larry is to digital photography what Ansel Adams was to analog. Larry is a true master."
December 29th, 2006
Treforlutions TreVizionz says:
"I'm always in awe of people whose passion shines through in what they love to do or gives them "great pleasure" as Larry puts it. And the pleasure is all mine with what I see of what Larry has seen and captured with his cameras and the vibrant images presented here for all to see in his photostream.
Words do not adequately describe Larry's visions (though he does a good job himself) of the world he visits, too many of them have left me speechless and somewhat humbled by the grandeur of his pictures. Take a look at the art of this adventurous man and see what you have to say."
December 24th, 2006
R-Rated Birdman says:
"Larry Gerbrandt is one talented photographer.
His images are inspiring.
I never tire looking at his images from the B&W set to his Vivid Color set. These are images to admire and learn from.
Larry's HDRI images are second to none. He is meticulous and has that photographer's eye that gets him those stunning photos. I know he has to put in a lot of hard work to produce so many stunning images and have to admire him for it.
Thanks for the inspiration Larry. I hope to follow your photography and learn from your images for years to come."
September 23rd, 2006
- Larry Gerbrandt
- June 2006
- San Jose, CA
- Los Angeles, USA
- I am:
- Male and Open
- Media Analyst
- lgerbrandt [at] sbcglobal.net
- Yahoo! IM: