By day I am a media analyst and follow emerging media technology trends and consumer adoption patterns and am a principal in my own company, Media Valuation Partners. If you are curious about my professional career, just Google my name.
My avocation, however, for the last 40 years, has been photography. I had the chance to do it professionally for awhile but now it is just something that brings me great pleasure. My very first camera, when I was 6, was one of those box cameras that took roll film (a size no longer made) but I really got my start when my father gave me a Pentax Spotmatic SLR as a high school graduation present. I used that camera for many years until screw mount lenses became too much of a hassle and I went Nikon and have been a loyalist ever since (we won't talk about a brief dalliance with Olympus).
As for me, I am tall (6'2"), very fair, blue-eyed, very active and who loves an adventure, both physical and intellectual.
I shoot color and black and white with a Nikon D3X and a Nikon D700 and infrared with a Nikon D70 modified by Lifepixel.
I own a wide range of lenses, including the:
Nikon 14-24mm AF-S FX f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8G AF-S
Nikon 70-200/2.8 AF-S VRII f/2.8
Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR
Nikon 28-300mm FX VR
Nikon 16-35mm FX VR
Nikon 16mm f/2.8 Full Frame Fisheye
Nikon 24mm PC-E (perspective control)
Nikon 45mm PC-E
Nikon 50mm AF-S f/1.4
Nikon 60mm AF-D macro f/2.8
Nikon 85mm Macro PC-E (perspective control)
Nikon 105mm Macro AF-S f/2.8
I also use a couple of no-longer-made soft-focus lenses (the Sima 100mm and a Spiratone Portragon 100mm) which are rarely used for digital photography but are a lot of fun in specific circumstances.
My workflow consists of the following:
-Shooting RAW, running the images through DxO using a custom preset.
-Adjusting exposure in Photoshop CS4 and then using the full suite of Nik plugins.
- Iceland 2013 winter photo tours participant images 293 photos, 25 members
- NIKON D800E Group 24,415 photos, 1,293 members
- Nikon D800 Users Group 224,590 photos, 11,034 members
- Painterly 41,785 photos, 1,686 members
- Tilt Shift 27,590 photos, 4,253 members
- Flypaper Textures 13,844 photos, 1,394 members
- Topaz Software 114,550 photos, 5,761 members
- Topaz Simplify 4,660 photos, 684 members
- Welcome To Oz 7,457 photos, 888 members
- Nik Software Photo Share 164,709 photos, 6,777 members
- ICM - Intentional Camera Movement - See recent discussions! 27,411 photos, 2,927 members
- What's in your camera bag? 2,041 photos, 4,025 members
- Topaz Adjust 68,850 photos, 2,992 members
- Nikon D700 278,342 photos, 14,445 members
- Nikon D300 Users 537,151 photos, 17,072 members
- Nikon D3 D3s D3x 74,502 photos, 5,262 members
- Digital Painting Techniques 7,469 photos, 781 members
- DxO users 14,007 photos, 703 members
- Soft Focus 1,347 photos, 812 members
- MOON Shots 97,998 photos, 22,785 members
- Nikon Digital 1,754,539 photos, 71,503 members
- Nikkor 201,173 photos, 9,209 members
- Photoshop HDR 4,295 photos, 550 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 498,348 photos, 20,082 members
- Stuck in Customs' Brilliant Cabal - My Cool and Clever Friends 107,104 photos, 4,050 members
- Photoshop Support Group 225,251 photos, 33,214 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 280,353 photos, 4,984 members
- Nikon DSLR Users 609,343 photos, 26,716 members
- Nikon D40/xD70/sD80/D90/D200/D300/D700/ D3/s/X 435,573 photos, 13,822 members
- PhotoShop 101,665 photos, 17,484 members
- Los Angeles 191,273 photos, 10,067 members
- The Los Angeles Group 80,354 photos, 3,009 members
- Converted Digital Infrared Cameras 26,636 photos, 1,912 members
- Kris Kros Contacts 134,761 photos, 4,105 members
- Antelope Canyon 5,491 photos, 1,158 members
- HDR 888,563 photos, 89,635 members
- Photomatix 406,706 photos, 19,570 members
"Larry is one of the photographers on flickr who really inspires me a lot. I love tho read the background of his marvelous shots and the photographic art in his stream. Now that his archives are opening up as well, I cannot wait to see more masterpieces from the film days.... Trust me... you won't regret a single minute visiting Larry's photo stream. Enjoy!"
28th October, 2007
"i love the majestic photos of the buffalo friends! i've read countless books on bison, complete with photos, and the 'tall lumpy' is still the best picture ever!!"
31st August, 2007
"Just view Mr. Gerbrandt's pictures from Olympic Peninsula. Quite simply AMAZING!"
26th April, 2007
"Your photos are realy beautiful! I love them very much!
1st March, 2007
"Larry's photos give me the same feeling as when I first saw the photos of Ansel Adams and the other classic masters from e.g. the f/64 group. Watching Larry's images is an inspiration, - you really want to get out there and do it yourself, - and there is still so much to learn.
But Larry does not keep his secrets to himself, but shares his knowledge with us all.
Larry is to digital photography what Ansel Adams was to analog. Larry is a true master."
29th December, 2006
Treforlutions TreVizionz says:
"I'm always in awe of people whose passion shines through in what they love to do or gives them "great pleasure" as Larry puts it. And the pleasure is all mine with what I see of what Larry has seen and captured with his cameras and the vibrant images presented here for all to see in his photostream.
Words do not adequately describe Larry's visions (though he does a good job himself) of the world he visits, too many of them have left me speechless and somewhat humbled by the grandeur of his pictures. Take a look at the art of this adventurous man and see what you have to say."
24th December, 2006
R-Rated Birdman says:
"Larry Gerbrandt is one talented photographer.
His images are inspiring.
I never tire looking at his images from the B&W set to his Vivid Color set. These are images to admire and learn from.
Larry's HDRI images are second to none. He is meticulous and has that photographer's eye that gets him those stunning photos. I know he has to put in a lot of hard work to produce so many stunning images and have to admire him for it.
Thanks for the inspiration Larry. I hope to follow your photography and learn from your images for years to come."
23rd September, 2006
- Larry Gerbrandt
- June 2006
- San Jose, CA
- Los Angeles, USA
- I am:
- Male and Open
- Media Analyst
- lgerbrandt [at] sbcglobal.net
- Yahoo! IM: