"Me creed is this: Happiness is the only good. The place to be happy is here. The time to be happy is now. The way to be happy is to make others so."
- Robert Green Ingersoll.
I'm a simple free-spirit, and I love nature. I'd call myself a secular humanist. I use my photography on Flickr to show that there is light and beauty in the world, and I hope I inspire people to work to preserve that beauty.
I believe that human beings are capable of conceiving of beauty on their own, without needing to attribute it to any particular creative force or being. We can see the beauty in a flower, or in a bowl of fresh fruit, or even in a straw hat sitting pristinely on a handmade quilt. We can see our whole environment as being filled with beauty and art. And, we can work to create more beauty and art in the world by using our own free will. We can use our human abilities to preserve the goodness of nature, and of our own civilization. We can fill our personal environment with good things, and live our lives with light in our minds.
I shoot film because it is a way for me to preserve these works of beauty and light and goodness in a physical form. There is no technology that impedes my creative process, and my images are not only pixels on a database, but are physical strips of plastic with images of frozen light. It is also the medium used by all my favorite photographers from the past, and I hope there never comes a time when we cannot produce photos the way Adams or Avedon or Weston did.
The cameras I use most are my two Olympus OM-1's and my Mamiya NC1000S. I also have a Mamiya m645 for when I feel like tackling medium format.
My favorite films are Fuji Superia (400 and 800), the VC Portras (160 and 400), Ektar, Fujicolor, and 400H. However, I'll use anything at least once.
Also visit my WEB GALLERY AND STORE.
Allons! the road is before us!
It is safe--I have tried it--my own feet have tried it well--be not
Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten, and the book on the
Let the tools remain in the workshop! let the money remain unearn'd!
Let the school stand! mind not the cry of the teacher!
Let the preacher preach in his pulpit! let the lawyer plead in the
court, and the judge expound the law.
Camerado, I give you my hand!
I give you my love more precious than money,
I give you myself before preaching or law;
Will you give me yourselp. will you come travel with me?
Shall we stick by each other as long as we live?
- PARKS GARDENS AND WOODS 77,968 photos, 2,558 members
- Dust Grain And Scratch (Film only group) @DustGrainAndScratch < 6,196 photos, 283 members
- Japan Exposures 4,377 photos, 604 members
- ((( transcend dépassez supere 超越しなさい ))) 119,955 photos, 5,462 members
- All Things ~*Earthy*~ 150,450 photos, 6,490 members
- Olympus OM-4 & OM-4Ti (Please read TAG rules) 8,123 photos, 733 members
- Capturing Canada 421 photos, 128 members
- 120MY 21,355 photos, 376 members
- PL▲NTS (on film) 10,223 photos, 1,081 members
- Photo Makers Support Group 2 photos, 5 members
- Zuiko Lenses 14,914 photos, 305 members
- Rollei Digibase CR200 / CN200 PRO and RCN 1,678 photos, 461 members
- Rollei Film 7,877 photos, 467 members
- !! I Shoot Rollei Film !! 8,940 photos, 450 members
- Mamiya 35mm 6,062 photos, 530 members
- Olympus Rangefinders 24,921 photos, 2,038 members
- Psychedelic Analogue 853 photos, 79 members
- Mixed Drinks and Decent Company 1,733 photos, 136 members
- Lomography Films 50,846 photos, 3,243 members
- Alive in the Skies 4,155 photos, 128 members
- Project Weather 633,407 photos, 93,975 members
- Life-Changing Bokeh! 446 photos, 42 members
- Visions of Red 9,364 photos, 515 members
- Analogue Sunrise 182,457 photos, 3,710 members
- ODR film! 2,934 photos, 65 members
- macro on film 907 photos, 162 members
- beautiful portrait 100,576 photos, 3,362 members
- Fuji Reala 8,697 photos, 934 members
- 645 Medium Format 58,282 photos, 4,092 members
- Mamiya 645 43,718 photos, 5,291 members
- Mamiya Love (FILM ONLY) 128,851 photos, 7,728 members
- New Kodak Portra 160 18,134 photos, 2,473 members
- classic mamiya 645 9,204 photos, 1,047 members
- FILM FRENZY 46,393 photos, 563 members
- Focus Schmocus 203 photos, 28 members
- the world i see 280,373 photos, 4,155 members
- Texas: Off The Beaten Path 6,355 photos, 177 members
- .± Positively Negatives! ±. 32,901 photos, 339 members
- Fountain Pens 8,833 photos, 1,580 members
- New Kodak Portra 400 35,283 photos, 4,311 members
- SLIDE FILM (*Not Xpro*) 69,808 photos, 3,545 members
- Ektachrome (Elite Chrome) 11,097 photos, 939 members
- Ektachrome E100VS 8,204 photos, 867 members
- architectural photography 305,575 photos, 4,925 members
- Texas State Parks 14,054 photos, 1,052 members
- Texas 199,572 photos, 6,610 members
- Plus-X Plaza 4,504 photos, 459 members
- Kodak Ektar 100 90,971 photos, 9,903 members
- On Film and In Focus 40,348 photos, 1,063 members
- experimental film photography 2,102 photos, 387 members
Nadeem Karim says:
"Jesse has an eye for details and things that most of the time we forget or neglect to see. His passion for film and photography is shown in every single piece of work he undertakes.
A great source of inspiration and teaching for us enthusiast photographers.
Thank you Jesse
Your talent is one of a kind!"
July 23rd, 2012
"Hey... Thanks for the testimonial on my rant. I appreciate it a lot :)"
May 9th, 2012
"Jesse's pictures have soul."
February 16th, 2012
"jesse's work was some of the first film photos i encountered on flickr, and since that first day, he has been a constant source of inspiration and encouragement. he has an eye for finding beauty in the small places that even most photographers would overlook, and i never cease to be amazed by the colours and light he captures, too.
his kind words and honest heart make him a true gem, so if you're reading this and haven't checked out his stream yet, go forth! be inspired!
February 10th, 2012
"LaBranĉaro (Jesse) has excellent collection of images in his gallery. I like the way he turned simple tools into something that I can learn from the vicinity he is living in. Images are well crafted and he documents the notes really well making it pleasurable to view and read."
September 22nd, 2010
- Jesse Ray
- May 2008
- Austin, Texas, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Free Spirit, Free Thinker, Secular Humanist