Kevin Downs is a New York based photojournalist and documentary photographer. He studied Fine Arts at Pratt Institute, Photography at City College and the mentors in his early career were Louis Stettner and Mel Rosenthal. He attended the Missouri Photo Workshop, where he was awarded the Bill and Duane Honorary Director's Scholarship.
He has also photographed in Japan and other parts of Asia, as well as in Mexico and Haiti. Currently, he is working on projects documenting life in the United States, covering issues such as people affected by the economy, immigration and other social issues. For the past 6 years, he has been documenting an area of Corona, Queens, known as the Iron Triangle. This is a place where immigrants had come in search of the American dream but is now in the process of redevelopment, with the city claiming eminent domain and forcing small businesses out of existence. Recently, he has also extensively covered the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, on the Rockaways and Staten Island.
His work is published by the main international publications VSD Magazine, Les Inrockuptibles, The Good Life Magazine, Travel + Leisure US, Escape, Wish magazine, Sun-Herald, The Sydney Morning Herald, We Demain, Grazia France, The Wall Street Journal, About.com, MSN Network, ABC News, TIME Magazine, Southern Accents, Entree Magazine, Coastal Living Magazine and the Daily Mail. He has taught workshops in New York's Coney Island and at the International Center of Photography. He is represented by Cosmos since 2013.
Photos of Kevin C. Downs Photography (8)
- REFUGEE LIVES (Mülteci Hayatlar) فيلم وثائقي عن ا 278 photos, 190 members
- †✯Group with Ҽxperience✯ 3,627,834 photos, 480,768 members
- walking in a city 58,243 photos, 992 members
- Zywkła Maps / Anteroom 13,364 photos, 2,810 members
- ZM Biogon 25mm 5,455 photos, 477 members
- Working Women 492 photos, 64 members
- Cosina Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35/1.4 33,848 photos, 2,162 members
- Né Ultra 14,510 photos, 2,671 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 621,812 photos, 44,317 members
- Official ZEISS Camera Lenses Group 31,678 photos, 16,227 members
- HYDE PARK PHOTOGRAPHY -Opening new site and first official issue 17,198 photos, 652 members
- Foma Film 31,633 photos, 2,442 members
- Middle East Gypsies (www.middleeastgypsies.com) 77 photos, 362 members
- Sword swallowers: To the hilt 108 photos, 72 members
- Instruction #5 259 photos, 491 members
- Instruction #1 336 photos, 1,443 members
- Fraction Magazine 25,635 photos, 2,933 members
- www.kemalvuraltarlan.com 236 photos, 385 members
- Rangefinder-forum 171,407 photos, 2,445 members
- Middle Eastern Social Documentary Photography 1,090 photos, 592 members
- Sparse Compositions 84 photos, 77 members
- Blurb Books 2,397 photos, 6,359 members
- Louis Mendes NYC photography legend 4 photos, 7 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 117,114 photos, 5,096 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,213,635 photos, 77,097 members
- Social Documentary Photographers Group. 38,239 photos, 1,563 members
- Streephers 4,664 photos, 516 members
- Brassaï 6,210 photos, 571 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 406,911 photos, 105,180 members
- Dom (Rom, Gypsy, Çingene, Qereçî, Gypthos, Zingari) in World 2,387 photos, 397 members
- Foto Club Aversa 3,247 photos, 331 members
- CitySkip.org 24,584 photos, 451 members
- Fotoreporters 7,448 photos, 572 members
- ROMA STREET PHOTOGRAPHY 6,635 photos, 1,157 members
- ProPhotoResource.com 2,534 photos, 670 members
- A Tribute To Milton Rogovin 638 photos, 119 members
- Street Backlash 529 photos, 294 members
- Extreme Street Photography (ESP) 3,785 photos, 19,378 members
- SAVE CONEY ISLAND and SAVE THE PEOPLES PLAY GROUND 152 photos, 26 members
- Utata 460,154 photos, 27,892 members
- CLUB ROMANO DI FOTOGRAFIA - BLACK & WHITE 9,115 photos, 558 members
- Fotografía en soitu.es 12,459 photos, 802 members
- Harris Tweed 539 photos, 111 members
- NPPA 63 photos, 32 members
- Getty Images on Flickr 0 photos, 16,946 members
- What's Your Story? - Sponsored by Kodak 61,165 photos, 2,615 members
- A tribute to Ed van der Elsken 23,787 photos, 531 members
- The Society of Friends 450 photos, 127 members
- Yashica Electro 35 37,124 photos, 6,052 members
- YE35 GS/GSN/GTN 2,370 photos, 339 members
"Excellent documentary photography is what you see here. I am always looking foward to seeing what Kevin uploads next."
September 11th, 2009
"I am honored that Kevin C. Downs not only listed me as a contact but invited me to join Photo league 2 , he is one of my mentors in Photography ,I hope i will one day be as good as he is . His images are beautiful."
July 7th, 2009
"I met Kevin earlier this year on a freezing NY night. His enthusiasm,knowledge of hardware,software,equipment,photography history & his enery is most memorable but most of all, his southern portraits ( which I love) & the Coney Island documentation are most fantastic. I have no doubt that in time the Coney island Images will be the best or amongst the very best of Coney Island History & he deservs it. Relentless. delighted to have met him & we'll meet again."
August 27th, 2007
"Kevin has boundless enthusiasm. All I have to do is view his stream of photographs and I want to shoot something. His art, as all great art does, excites me and gets me motivated. We, all of us, as photographers are each others' greatest Champions (now I sound like Captain Kirk). Who loves what we do? Photographers!!! Kevin works very very hard at his craft of Fine Art Photography. I see his heart and soul in every image."
August 8th, 2007
"Kevin did me the honour of making me one of his contacts at the end of June '07 and I have never looked back. Being fascinated with people myself, his street photography and portraits have been nothing short of an inspiration to me. He has the special ability to somehow capture the very escence of life and humanity in his work, allowing the people in his photographs to shine for the brief moment they are in his lens. His pictures teem with life and make you glad to be a part of it all! MORE please!!!"
August 1st, 2007
Ran Han says:
"Kevin has really cool and inspiring work. When I look at his pictures it sparks ideas for my own, he is always putting new pictures up that make me think, or evoke lots of emotion. great work :)"
July 30th, 2007
Runs With Scissors says:
"It's difficult not to take notice of Kevin's work as a photographer. His portraits seem to have a sense of the moment in his subjects' lives that makes us feel like everyone is as familiar as our own neighbor."
July 26th, 2007
"Impressive work. I can tell he is a photographer with a long history of great work and am excited to see even more. I am so pleased that he has chosen to critique and favorite my work and find it to be a great honor."
June 15th, 2007
- Kevin Downs
- July 2006
- Brooklyn, USA
- Kevin C. Downs Photography
- kevincdownsphoto [at] mac.com