A Flickr Bio
I studied photography in the early 1980’s at the Queensland College of Art. I was at the same time teaching photography (elsewhere) before and during my time as a student. In my final year I began assisting local fashion & glamour photographer Daniel Nolan and relocated to Sydney when he decided to try his luck there.
As a freelance assistant in Sydney in the late 80’s I worked for established Australian photographers such as Brett Hilder and American and European Photographers who had made the trek down under in an attempt to launch their careers. Some of them had only recently stopped assisting themselves for some of the biggest names in fashion photography of the 70’s & 80’s.
It was in this ménage of techniques of masters (once removed) and youthful desire that I was able to assist on shoots for the Australian imprint of magazines such as Vogue, Harpers, Cosmo, Cleo; locals, Follow Me, Mode (whom I eventually shot for myself) and a host of others.
I specialised in B&W photography using Nikon 35mm & Hassselblad 6x6 equipment & have always developed and printed my own B&W work. Colour was always shot on transparency film.
Perhaps due to impatience or personal chaos I decided in the early 90’s to remove myself from photography and took up wood working. I framed and hung many shows for artist friends of mine and now hand make rather unique industrial inspired ‘antique’ furniture for a living.
Since 2002 I have made a return to photography predominantly using digital cameras and occasionally film. I have had one solo show, ‘3 roads night’ and been hung in the ‘Blake Prize’ and the ‘Citigroup Prize for Portraiture’ Art Gallery of New South Wales, Australia, Head On, and others.
Currently working as a freelance photographer in Sydney Australia.
Photos of Kent Johnson (8)
- damage 12,507 photos, 1,242 members
- The Fuji X-T1 Pool 51,859 photos, 1,715 members
- VIVID SYDNEY 2016 - Answer The Call! 3,701 photos, 256 members
- Fujifilm X-T1 203,655 photos, 8,661 members
- Sculpture by the Sea 9,884 photos, 537 members
- One photo, one story 3,300 photos, 148 members
- Normalobjektiv (normal lens) 9,409 photos, 294 members
- Australian & NZ Shops & Stores 1,336 photos, 41 members
- Fujinon XF55-200mm F3.5-4.8 6,350 photos, 856 members
- Vivid Sydney 2015 849 photos, 69 members
- Naturalight 26,695 photos, 1,502 members
- Alleys, streets and the human factor. 15,641 photos, 609 members
- Fujifilm X Argentina 128 photos, 14 members
- Quonset 635 photos, 148 members
- Sculpture by the Sea - Official Group 5,387 photos, 269 members
- Art-Pix 147,016 photos, 5,681 members
- Cacti, Succulents and Bulb Plants 37,896 photos, 3,023 members
- Flower Flower Flower 739,924 photos, 53,912 members
- Vivid Sydney 2014 647 photos, 105 members
- Movement for your Heart/Soul and Mind 603 photos, 90 members
- Ballet In Images 18,509 photos, 2,403 members
- Dance, dance, dance! 119,744 photos, 10,801 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 1,174 photos, 1,817 members
- Creative Street Photography 7,432 photos, 635 members
- Fujifilm X-Trans sensor NightShots 11,945 photos, 837 members
- Fujifilm X-Trans sensor Portraits 4,487 photos, 750 members
- Australian Storms 8,585 photos, 848 members
- Fujifilm X-mount cameras 294,082 photos, 8,421 members
- Fujinon XF18mm F2 16,542 photos, 1,641 members
- Fujinon XF35mm F1.4 63,722 photos, 3,924 members
- Fuji X-Pro 1 & XE-1&2 by Fujifilm 233,801 photos, 8,342 members
- Fujinon XF60mm F2.4 Macro 9,596 photos, 1,123 members
- consume : think : create 0 photos, 49 members
- Vivid Sydney 2012 2,088 photos, 246 members
- Something Special... 3,101 photos, 661 members
- Nikon D300 Users 572,077 photos, 17,429 members
- DOZE mag. Issue*5 VISIONÄR [CLOSED] 587 photos, 788 members
- NIKON PROFESSIONAL 1,039,724 photos, 29,209 members
- ★★★Shutter Bug - Tips & Tricks★★★ 1,606,336 photos, 27,924 members
- Historic Houses Trust Sydney Australia 211 photos, 32 members
- Australian portrait 29,788 photos, 1,177 members
- Cookies & Cream 1,238 photos, 3,328 members
- Studio Shots 105,040 photos, 9,432 members
- Inspired by The Selby 25 photos, 14 members
- Art For Lovers 1,457 photos, 66 members
- The Red Sydney Project - Dust Storm Days 1,668 photos, 494 members
- **** SERES**** 1,330 photos, 192 members
- Australia in Black & White 51,536 photos, 3,164 members
- Rock a house party! 627 photos, 131 members
- Canon Powershot G10 42,435 photos, 2,279 members
"I love yer Fashion Model stuff Dude* Great Work + interesting Photography* ;)) Peace*"
August 3rd, 2008
"Kent has probably seen and done it all....and yet is still able to come up with images that surprise, entertain, push our buttons & generally make us think a lot harder. He needs to share more of his work from the 80's with us."
September 17th, 2007
"Kent's photostream is one I always go back and have a look at what he's up to - from his cataloguing of the shopping trolleys of Marrickville (!!), to the almost abstracted urban scenes (which are my favourites of his), the great architectural shots, and those beautiful fashion images, I just admire his work! It's always a pleasure to see what he has put up on this site!"
August 3rd, 2007
Adam Clay says:
"K.J. is a great artist, and always willing to offer his expert critique. All around G.G.T.K. (good guy to know)."
May 26th, 2007
"To begin: KJ has the power to make me speechless (but that would be a very short testimonial, so I'll soldier on)...
Anyone who knows either his work, or my tending towards wordiness will understand my above-remark, it was not simply metaphor.
Anyone who doesn't know either his work, or the man -- owes themselves a virtual encounter right here, right now. His photo-oeuvres are difficult to describe and span years & miles & motifs & styles.
Happily, he is the first flickratti mate I've actually met real-time...
Cheers, Kent -- to more of the same, but different!"
January 19th, 2007
✪ Zuan says:
"Reading his flick bio, made me think about my new life as photographer, every fashion photo and portrait of Kent is an inspiring source, the vision of an unknown master of photography... Kent is by far the best photographer in Flickr, deserves my best compliments and admiration."
October 4th, 2006
"Kent Johnson is a king among men.
It's true, he just won't tell you."
September 18th, 2006
"rock on kent... international man of mystery... a bit of a dark horse but wonderful person and photographer...
The Was / Was Not Set is a true indication of the work Kent produces, brilliant use of subject...good on ya champ....."
August 22nd, 2006
Project 404 says:
"Kent isn't only an outstanding photographer but a top bloke and, by all accounts, a bit of chick magnet.
Take the time to explore his world. You will be very glad you did."
August 10th, 2006
a nameless yeast says:
"Kentie's enthusiasm for image making runs the gamut from the precise studio shoot to the drunken blur, the lowbrow to the high. There are no class distinctions in Kentieland but his photography is a class act."
July 3rd, 2006
"Well I've been wanting to write a testimonial for Kent for a long time and not had the chance.
He's got some great eyes and vision and a lot of commonality with what I see.
I thought he lived in north London but on closer inspection...
It was the other side of the planet.
It made me feel small.
Thanks Kent for doing it."
June 15th, 2006
"Kent lets me see things that aren't there and helps me see the beauty in all the small and 'boring' things."
June 14th, 2006
I can't beleive that I am the first in here!
Kent's enthusiasm for his photography is incredibly infectious, his imagery is quirky and solidly based in the way photography and cameras function, without being trite or overly worked [in a digital sense] I am proud to list Kent as contact and consider him a peer for both his photographic skills and his larrikin nature.
Flickr is a better place for it"
April 8th, 2006
Annene von Durchgerockt says:
""Kent Johnson doesn't have any testimonials yet."
Incomprehensible, unless he chooses not to have "any testimonials yet.""
April 7th, 2006
Kourni Tinoco says:
"Kent Johnson is great!!
March 29th, 2006
- Kent Johnson
- January 2006
- I am:
- Kent Johnson Photography