Long, long ago (well...it wasn't that long...the wheel had been invented several weeks previously and fire had been discovered earlier that day ) I picked up my first camera with serious intent.
Since then, it's been an absolute joy. I would certainly like to think that I have developed [pause for groans] as a photographer over the years. I enjoy travel (and therefore travel photography), the Edinburgh Fringe, stage/concert photography and portraits.
Having relied on my trusty Olympus OM-20 for many years, I started to 'play' with digital photography in 2003, courtesy of a Minolta DiMage F300. In 2006, I took the plunge and bought a Canon EOS-5D, and it's a superb camera. More recently, I retired my Minolta and bought a Canon Powershot G9 as my new 'carry around' camera.
I've since acquired a 5D Mark II and (inevitably) a 5D Mark III.
In 2010, I made the initial shortlist in a competition to be the Photographer in Residence for the National Theatre of Scotland.
In addition, my credits include:
The Mail on Sunday
The Daily Telegraph
The Financial Times
Digital Camera magazine
Melbourne Herald Sun
Free Tibet Christmas Cards
Chest, Heart & Stroke (Scotland) Christmas Cards
Crooked Mouth 'Hold in the Sun' CD artwork
Kataklo official website
John Martyn 'Empty Ceiling' DVD
John Martyn 'Ain't No Saint' CD boxset
David Byrne Official Website
Amanda Palmer Official Website
Steve Hackett Live Archive 83 CD
Steve Hackett Official Website
Tom Waits 'Glitter & Doom Live' CD
Tom Waits official Website
( www.tomwaits.com/photos/?page=2&q= )
The Magic Circular (magazine of The Magic Circle - front cover shot)
Steve Hackett 'Genesis Revisited' 2013 Tour Programme
Steve Hackett 'Genesis Revisited: Live at Hammersmith' CD/DVD box set.
Steve Hackett 'Genesis Extended' 2014 Tour Programme
Steve Hackett 'Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall' CD/DVD
Steve Hackett 'Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall' CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Limited Edition Artbook
My first ever photography exhibition begins on Monday, October 12th and runs until Friday, November 20th at the French Institute in Edinburgh.
In 2007, I won third place in the Black & White category of Digital Camera's 'Photographer of the Year 2007' contest with the shot immediately below. Given there were over 81,000 entries to the competition, I'm more than mildly pleased by this. :-)
The riot police photo below won me first prize in a photography competition organised by the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, which related to an exhibition by the famous USA based Scottish photographer, Harry Benson who has taken some very famous and iconic images.
This picture which I took in Manchester last year made the final shortlist in the Urban category of the Digital Camera 'Photographer of the Year 2008'.
In 2006 I won 2nd prize in the Evening News 'Yell About Edinburgh' competition with this shot (taken at the Edinburgh Fringe) which I suggested could be used to illustrate 'Curry Houses' :-)
In 2013, this shot of Professor Richard Wiseman was used on the cover of 'The Magic Circular'.
This shot of Steve Hackett's band at Hammersmith Apollo on their Genesis Revisited tour, is one of seven of mine to feature on the live CD/DVD box set of the gig.
This shot of the World Trade Centre in New York has long been my most 'interesting' shot on Flickr.
This shot of a South Korean performer is one of my all-time favourite shots from the Edinburgh Fringe (one of my major photographic passions):
I also love to travel...and this shot from Bangladesh (a country with incredibly friendly people which was a joy to explore) is probably my favourite travel portrait:
One of the joys of photography is that I regularly get to take shots of beautiful women (which is never a hardship). This is my favourite shot...of my favourite Fringe muse/model, Anna:
Just for good measure, here is a portrait I took of Harry Benson, after I was invited (by Harry and his wife Gigi) to the press preview of his photography exhibition at Glasgow's Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
The shot immediately below is of two gymnasts from Italian group, Kataklo. It's one of my personal favourites, out of all the shots I've ever taken. It also features on the cover of the new CD ('Hold in the Sun') by Crooked Mouth, which features original music by my friend, Ken Campbell. The CD booklet features a number of other Kataklo shots by yours truly. :-) You can also hear some of their music at the Crooked Mouth myspace website. 10% of the cover price of each CD goes to support the work of Sight Savers International.
This pic of John Martyn appeared on the booklet accompanying his 4CD boxset 'Ain't No Saint' which was released in September, 2008.
I photographed Tom Waits on his 'Glitter and Doom' tour at the Edinburgh Playhouse for The Scotsman...and the shot below actually features on the booklet of 'Glitter & Doom Live' by Mr. Waits - how cool is that? :-)
In September 2008, I photographed the amazingly talented Amanda Palmer in concert. I got loads of great shots (and absolutely loved her music). Happily, my pics are a hit with Team Palmer.
This image from Lhasa is being used as the 2008 Christmas card for the Free Tibet charity and is available here: www.freetibet.org/store/christmas-cards-here-comes-sun
In March 2009, I was able to photograph one of my musical heroes, David Byrne in Glasgow. A couple of my shots have made it on to the 'Tour Photos' part of his website, but this is my personal favourite.
I love to travel and have been fortunate to see many wonders of the world...Easter Island has been among the most special to me:
I love to capture fleeting moments and this shot from Tibet is one my most special:
It's always nice to come up with a bit of a twist when it comes to a much photographed 'postcard' shot. This was my take on the Taj Mahal:
The digital photography age offers many opportunities to 'play' in a creative sense, and this was my approach to transforming a public bench in Kilsyth:
Oh...and anyone who steals/uses my photos without permission can expect a visit from Mr. Tiddles...the Demonic Puddytat (accompanied by a lawyer):
- Harley & Ivy Costumes 908 photos, 171 members
- Comic Conventions 143,439 photos, 1,135 members
- Marvel Comics Costumes 12,940 photos, 1,150 members
- London MCM Expo 8,451 photos, 254 members
- Frame It! ~Level 09~ (P1/A5) 17,552 photos, 1,732 members
- Groupe Charlie Titanium 4,714 photos, 260 members
- Heroes of Lego 30,474 photos, 1,192 members
- Nice As It Gets~Level 1* Post 1 Award 5 or BANNED 238,911 photos, 7,228 members
- Frame It! ~Level 08~ (P1/A5) 19,554 photos, 1,843 members
- Berlin 315,099 photos, 13,705 members
- Frame It! ~Level 07~ (P1/A5) 22,294 photos, 1,990 members
- City Of London Photography 1,463 photos, 362 members
- Frame It! ~Level 06~ (P1/A5) 25,927 photos, 2,179 members
- Frame It! ~Level 05~ (P1/A5) 30,602 photos, 2,430 members
- Frame It! ~Level 04~ (P1/A5) 36,835 photos, 2,710 members
- Frame It! ~Level 03~ (P1/A5) 48,014 photos, 3,134 members
- Frame It! ~Level 02~ (P1/A5) 65,989 photos, 3,837 members
- Groupe Charlie L11 5,850 photos, 684 members
- Harry Potter 24,620 photos, 5,649 members
- Groupe Charlie L10 7,988 photos, 825 members
- Groupe Charlie L9 12,759 photos, 1,113 members
- *GreatPixGallery 500 Faves+ 2,838 photos, 169 members
- Groupe Charlie L8 16,679 photos, 1,275 members
- Groupe Charlie L7 18,483 photos, 1,315 members
- Groupe Charlie L6 20,184 photos, 1,371 members
- Groupe Charlie L5 22,500 photos, 1,429 members
- Groupe Charlie L4 25,612 photos, 1,487 members
- Groupe Charlie L3 30,330 photos, 1,580 members
- Groupe Charlie L2 38,339 photos, 1,719 members
- Groupe Charlie L1 52,920 photos, 1,985 members
- 'Amazing Moments in Photography - Level 1 19,255 photos, 1,532 members
- Frame It! ~Level 01~ (P1/A5)COVER CONTEST OPEN. 174,563 photos, 5,922 members
- 'Passion for Photography - Level 0 (P1 - C3) 6,414 photos, 685 members
- Cosplay Fever 24,623 photos, 2,258 members
- EPS_Studio 178 photos, 13 members
- Nice As It Gets~Level 8 All Stars (Post 1 Award 5 34,338 photos, 2,833 members
- Nice As It Gets~Level 7 (Post 1 Award 5 37,699 photos, 3,020 members
- A.E. ( Level 1 ) "NOT AWARDING BAN" 110,476 photos, 4,728 members
- Nice As It Gets~Level 6 ( Post 1 Award 5 43,139 photos, 3,190 members
- Nice As It Gets~Level 5 (Post 1 Award 5 53,386 photos, 3,621 members
- Nice As It Gets~Level 4 (Post 1 Award 5 63,616 photos, 3,942 members
- 500 favorites and more 2,984 photos, 1,483 members
- Nice As It Gets~Level 3 (Post 1 Award 5 81,724 photos, 4,445 members
- Nice As It Gets~Level 2 (Post 1 Award 5 113,184 photos, 5,308 members
- Shield Of Excellence - Level 1 (p1/a3) 518,364 photos, 40,756 members
- Visionary Arts Gallery Level 3 (P1:A3) 41,411 photos, 2,872 members
- THE LOOK level 1 RED 726,315 photos, 18,071 members
- WOMAD UK 2016 331 photos, 13 members
- Stair Lovers 4,357 photos, 284 members
- Edinburgh Festivals 2016 1,874 photos, 34 members
"Two testimonials? Two? I thought I would be at the end of a long line of kudos with nothing left to say that was original.
Well, let me just say that Kenny is one of my favourite photogs. He shoots people with such a perfect eye, such enthusiasm, punch and brilliance that I'm afraid I will one day grow to secretly hate him.
Ok, maybe not, because he's also humble and sweet and someone I want to have in my (virtual) life for a long time.
July 29th, 2010
Colin Campbell (Bruiach) says:
"What can I say about Kenny. One of the most exciting and talented photographers on flickr and as far as I'm concerned, in Scotland. Every image is colourful, vibrant and so well composed, capturing the culture and theatre of this wee nation and beyond. A wonderful body of work."
August 30th, 2009
Jennifer Esperanza says:
"Kenny gets around with his camera & we are all blessed because of it.....
I Love his street photos & his images from the beautiful places he visits...
He is funny & a nice new Flickr friend...
I'm always very pleased to visit his photo stream..."
March 29th, 2006
- October 2005
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- I am: