"Beginners worry about equipment, pros worry about skills, masters worry about light"
An amateur nature and landscape photographer for about 40 years, more seriously so in recent years, I'm a retired youth worker in Whitehorse Yukon, north of the 60th parallel in Canada.
As a photographer, my goal is to celebrate the infinite beauty of the natural world. My images have been published in books, online publications, newspapers, magazines and are used by businesses, NGO's, educational institutions and conservation initiatives internationally. Some of these include: Audubon, Wikipedia, Canadian Wildlife Federation, ARKive, World Handbook of Birds- IBC, Prafulla.net, Biosphère, National Geographic Daily News, The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, The New York Times, National Examiner, Mother Nature Network, Hello Magazine, Iltalehti, Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, the Royal Ontario Museum, The Globe and Mail, the Telegraph, The Sun, the Daily Mirror and other international newspapers.
If you're interested in any of my work, it is available at no cost to non-profit organizations and those of very limited means--just send me a Flickr mail. To purchase a high res file, high quality fine-art prints, metal or canvas, please contact me at my Flickr mail or Hotmail to make arrangements that suit your needs and budget: email@example.com
(I can also provide an interesting, well-written article/story suitable for publication to go with any of my photos)
I inherited my creative side from my mother who was a water-colour and acrylic artist, as well as an actress trained at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London. Other than photography, I'm into birding, outdoors activities, natural history, movies, art, technology, music, cooking, markets, political affairs, having a good laugh and drinking a little red wine or good ale. To me, photography is the ultimate fusion of art and technology, and those with a strong sense of creative vision, who have also mastered the technology and software, are best equipped to produce outstanding images. On those few occasions that I create a decent image, it's mostly the result of hard work, planning, time and effort.
I believe there's too much emphasis on expensive gear, formula-style and imitating the work of others in photography, usually not enough on the all-important creative side. A truly outstanding photo is usually the result of a harmonious composition, interesting and original subject matter, attractive light and colour. I try, but am not always successful, in creating original, harmonious and hopefully unique images of the natural world north of 60.
I usually find the full-frame cameras and big expensive glass too cumbersome and heavy to carry around for nature photography in this rugged Yukon landscape. There are few trails here and I often bush-whack to get the shot. Currently I shoot wildlife with the Nikon D7000, D5300 and use the D610 for landscapes.
By design, I have a relatively small contact list. Commenting and viewing can be time-consuming, so please forgive me if I can't reciprocate by adding you as a contact, if you have listed me as one. However, like everybody, I appreciate comments, and constructive criticism is especially welcome if it will improve my work.
Photos of kdee64 (3)
- Nature_and_Landscapes 75 photos, 19 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 39,539 photos, 3,738 members
- La Mirada del Otro 721 photos, 149 members
- All kind of Landscapes 44,599 photos, 9,012 members
- Landscape ART /// Inspiration landscapes around the world 12,570 photos, 8,297 members
- Travel Yukon 740 photos, 43 members
- Gold Class Nature Gallery... 16,554 photos, 1,600 members
- Bird Photography Excellence 3,585 photos, 86 members
- GREAT PANOS 20,214 photos, 3,014 members
- C is for... 14,043 photos, 1,884 members
- Nikon D5300 Group 18,526 photos, 1,493 members
- Flickr's Chosen Few ( F.C.F. ) 9,815 photos, 2,802 members
- Tamron 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD 13,410 photos, 1,524 members
- Tamron 150-600 Nikon mount 4,789 photos, 369 members
- Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G AF-S 39,293 photos, 4,211 members
- Samyang 14mm F/2.8 21,858 photos, 3,076 members
- Nikon D600/D610 CLUB 255,423 photos, 10,681 members
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4.0G ED VR 22,143 photos, 2,422 members
- Origins 1,554 photos, 2,188 members
- Gods Natural World 372 photos, 17 members
- Close-ups of Animals 18,082 photos, 1,243 members
- Alaska, Yukon, NWT, Nunavut, Greenland, and Siberia Group 2,050 photos, 47 members
- Absolute Quality Gallery ~ Invite only 684 photos, 1,136 members
- Project Weather 407,174 photos, 72,893 members
- Soar in Nature’s Spirit (by Admin Invitation) 8,057 photos, 571 members
- The Ionosphere 421 photos, 46 members
- Flickr's Best Landscape Photographers 13,685 photos, 444 members
- Best Landscape Photos of Canada 1,216 photos, 156 members
- Absolutely Stunning Elite Gallery- ASEG 1,592 photos, 168 members
- Apollo and Dionysus (Moderated) P1/C3 7,493 photos, 257 members
- ☆The Power Of Now ☆ 21,875 photos, 1,772 members
- Art in Black and White 238,145 photos, 11,964 members
- 54 Degrees and More 137 photos, 13 members
- Elite Star Trails (single frame long exposures only) 203 photos, 1,012 members
- Nightscapes - Natural Landscapes at Night 31,925 photos, 5,364 members
- Top-Photo-Spots 9,749 photos, 628 members
- Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) 6,750 photos, 1,110 members
- Aurora (Borealis and Australis) 18,443 photos, 4,103 members
- Our Planet at Night 4,506 photos, 558 members
- The Sky- We Are Expanding!!! 26,736 photos, 1,738 members
- Solo nocturnas - Night shots 8,455 photos, 547 members
- The World at Night 5,245 photos, 444 members
- The charm of the night - Magic night photos - Foto della notte - 2,903 photos, 112 members
- unusual sky 7,411 photos, 606 members
- The colors of the sky 10,109 photos, 870 members
- Night Images 1,024,820 photos, 135,132 members
- Top 20 Northern Lights 23 photos, 720 members
- TOP SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wild birds ........ 4,699 photos, 431 members
- Nikon D7000 Astrophotography 2,657 photos, 439 members
- this is Canada-Photo Competition 3,913 photos, 847 members
kdee64 doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Keith Williams
- January 2010
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- amateur nature photographer