"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." (Garry Winogrand)
Not that it matters, but... I have been interested in taking pictures since my teenage years. For a long time, photography gave me an equal share of joy and frustration. The joy must be familiar to anyone who makes his or her own prints—to see black and grey shapes emerge on the surface of orange-lit, wet photographic paper is an unforgettable experience. However, that early joy was often accompanied by frustration. Having to rely on the poor quality materials that were available in my country at that time was often painfully disappointing.
This changed many years later when I bought my first digital camera. This camera gave me full control over the technical and creative process. With an enthusiasm comparable to that of my school years, I started spending long hours with Photoshop downloading, organizing, cropping, and enhancing.
In comparing my new photographs with the older, pre-digital era ones I realized that my interest had shifted away from the big picture to small details. I was no longer interested in sweeping panoramas or landscapes, but, rather, I was attracted to details, fragments, and sections. Instead of seeking out the unusual or unique, I sought the ordinary or the mundane. Indeed, I began to photograph objects or scenes that might seem, at first glance, to be average and unassuming, but which revealed intriguing or aesthetically pleasing aspects when viewed through my camera’s lens.
This departure from the big picture made me see the world in a new way; it allowed me to appreciate the unexpected beauty of intricate textures, the intriguing geometry of towns and cities, the spectacular subtlety of nature’s color, the order in chaos and chaos in order.
If you want to know more read THIS
- Hipstamatic 311,720 photos, 16,267 members
- Magic in the Mist 1,201 photos, 173 members
- Abstract Photos 125,260 photos, 19,472 members
- Geometric Beauty 215,896 photos, 12,185 members
- Urbane Fragmentation 12,076 photos, 729 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 6,267 photos, 245 members
- The best photographs from around the world 670,139 photos, 29,168 members
- Top_lens_photography 21,163 photos, 460 members
- B&W 5,385,508 photos, 230,853 members
- Utata 463,992 photos, 28,531 members
- Landscape Beauty ! 1,992,709 photos, 73,595 members
- Flickr photo unlimited 444,218 photos, 4,887 members
- The Fog and The Rain 50,782 photos, 4,720 members
- hipstography 36,425 photos, 1,008 members
- Lublin Miasto Inspiracji 174 photos, 9 members
- the naked abstract 2,609 photos, 150 members
- Less is more 48,149 photos, 2,151 members
- White Winter Wonders 12,261 photos, 751 members
- FUJIFILM X-T ⌘ PURE LANDSCAPES 21,976 photos, 1,722 members
- The Minimalist Manifesto 286 photos, 93 members
- Quadrado = No flowers, No children, No frames. 28,759 photos, 857 members
- Flickr Addicts 9,373,097 photos, 137,081 members
- Libro de Fotos / Photo Book 727,522 photos, 8,845 members
- Photo Art Non-Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 8,310 photos, 337 members
- B Square 340,429 photos, 10,018 members
- iClick! 333,133 photos, 3,022 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 24,728 photos, 962 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 216,303 photos, 15,634 members
- Maximal minimalism 48,120 photos, 3,017 members
- Fresh Minds 45,234 photos, 948 members
- Per Aspera Ad Astra 20,110 photos, 428 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 61,633 photos, 1,376 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 119,171 photos, 4,355 members
- Landscapes!!! 1,565,473 photos, 53,127 members
- #2/...flickrjob premium (P1 - AW2) 10,483 photos, 594 members
- #1/...flickrjob different ~ (P1 - AW2) 24,421 photos, 1,097 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 26,779 photos, 638 members
- Abstract Reality 196,633 photos, 8,609 members
- Flair and Square 27,490 photos, 925 members
- 500x500 308,557 photos, 7,529 members
- Art Without End ... [P1/C3] 117,911 photos, 3,363 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates - Urban Creatives 190,680 photos, 4,061 members
- Kwadrat / Square (no portrait) 23,134 photos, 530 members
- !Faire Abstraction de Tout - ONLY ABSTRACT , Please ! 38,519 photos, 941 members
- Gate to Paradise, Free Group for Free Artists, It's your group 71,269 photos, 1,313 members
- Quadratum 66,553 photos, 636 members
- Salon Polski 20,672 photos, 451 members
- FLOOR tertius... 9,465 photos, 563 members
- FLOOR secundus (post 1, award 2)..... Welcome to Floor pink 13,496 photos, 872 members
- !* Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or landscapes 93,965 photos, 5,055 members
If it had not been invented photography
surely you would be a painter!
Gdyby nie wynaleziono fotografii
napewno byłbyś malarzem!
July 12th, 2011
Ania Tuzel Photography says:
"Jurek is a great artist, his photography is very powerful, bold, vivid and intense,so alive and unique...He has a Wonderful eye for color, shapes and subjects,he sees the unusual and the absurd,
it's a great pleasure to see his sight of "everyday life", I'm a big fan of his work, Very, very inspiring. thank you!"
February 27th, 2011
Neta Gov says:
"ARTIST ! (point)"
November 3rd, 2010
"Master of golden composition, sensitive and intelligent eye, great friend.
One of those photographer who make Flickr such incredible place.
So instead of reading this testimonial go and browse trough his work - you will find much more interesting things there:)"
April 3rd, 2010
bite-sized design says:
"I totally love Jurek's photography. He works with detail, light, texture, smell, perspective and meaning and most likely never goes anywhere without a camera (except for social settings). I want to hang my house full of his framed art, and one day I will travel to Poland to see how he works."
February 3rd, 2009
"Jurek is the Master of Detail. It is not important where he is: city or country side, he always finds something unusual, or just usual but missed by others. His titles are often surprise for me by its association giving the picture another dimension. And I like it!"
December 21st, 2008
"instead of reading this testimonial, simply click "← Photostream" on the left and enjoy the world of Jurek's photos, full of vibrant colours, wonderful details and things you don't usually notice...
September 16th, 2008
"With his fine sense of composition, Jurek can focus on ordinary parts of the world and make them special. This alert photographer notices things that many other eyes would ignore, giving his stream a refreshing and inspirational quality. His subject matter is diverse but usually includes a fresh perspective on whatever he points his camera at. Aspiring photographers who want to know the secret of creating great shots in a wide range of contexts could do worse than studying Jurek D.’s entertaining photostream."
March 18th, 2008
"There are probably thousands of brilliant photographers on Flickr but there are relatively few who make me stop, look, and try to learn, try to see through another's eyes. Jurek's one of those few: I've already seen a difference in my work (some of it), in my subjects, because of what he's shown by example. And even if I couldn't learn, every stop on his stream brings a smile. I love starting the day with him. (And I love his word games...welcome to a new renaissance.)"
October 19th, 2007
"Jurek is an amazing photographer. He has an amazing eye for detail. His photos often allow me to see things of great beauty that I would normally dismiss as mundane. The high quality of his large body of work is never compromised and he is an inspiration to me and many others."
September 12th, 2007
"Looking at Jurek's photos is good for your soul."
May 16th, 2007
- jurek d.
- February 2006
- jurek.durczak [at] gmail.com