"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." (Garry Winogrand)
Not that it matters, but... I have been interested in taking pictures since my teenage years. For a long time, photography gave me an equal share of joy and frustration. The joy must be familiar to anyone who makes his or her own prints—to see black and grey shapes emerge on the surface of orange-lit, wet photographic paper is an unforgettable experience. However, that early joy was often accompanied by frustration. Having to rely on the poor quality materials that were available in my country at that time was often painfully disappointing.
This changed many years later when I bought my first digital camera. This camera gave me full control over the technical and creative process. With an enthusiasm comparable to that of my school years, I started spending long hours with Photoshop downloading, organizing, cropping, and enhancing.
In comparing my new photographs with the older, pre-digital era ones I realized that my interest had shifted away from the big picture to small details. I was no longer interested in sweeping panoramas or landscapes, but, rather, I was attracted to details, fragments, and sections. Instead of seeking out the unusual or unique, I sought the ordinary or the mundane. Indeed, I began to photograph objects or scenes that might seem, at first glance, to be average and unassuming, but which revealed intriguing or aesthetically pleasing aspects when viewed through my camera’s lens.
This departure from the big picture made me see the world in a new way; it allowed me to appreciate the unexpected beauty of intricate textures, the intriguing geometry of towns and cities, the spectacular subtlety of nature’s color, the order in chaos and chaos in order.
If you want to know more read THIS
- Geometric Beauty 214,353 photos, 12,064 members
- Urbane Fragmentation 11,432 photos, 691 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 6,202 photos, 238 members
- The best photographs from around the world 280,884 photos, 14,369 members
- Top_lens_photography 19,177 photos, 456 members
- B&W 5,329,277 photos, 229,750 members
- I love colours (post 1, award 2) 18,205 photos, 1,008 members
- Utata 465,090 photos, 28,393 members
- Landscape Beauty ! 1,922,850 photos, 71,290 members
- Flickr photo unlimited 324,890 photos, 3,963 members
- The Fog and The Rain 35,092 photos, 3,391 members
- hipstography 36,706 photos, 1,014 members
- Lublin 2,391 photos, 232 members
- Lublin Miasto Inspiracji 155 photos, 9 members
- the naked abstract 2,310 photos, 139 members
- Less is more 48,013 photos, 2,153 members
- collegium_artisticum 3,343 photos, 224 members
- White Winter Wonders 11,861 photos, 722 members
- FUJIFILM X-T ⌘ PURE LANDSCAPES 21,454 photos, 1,721 members
- The Minimalist Manifesto 282 photos, 96 members
- Quadrado / No flowers,no children,no frames 26,982 photos, 849 members
- Flickr Addicts 9,356,755 photos, 134,951 members
- Libro de Fotos / Photo Book 713,305 photos, 8,831 members
- Photo Art Non-Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 7,918 photos, 319 members
- B Square 340,816 photos, 10,047 members
- iClick! 318,484 photos, 3,015 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 24,217 photos, 963 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 213,887 photos, 15,565 members
- Maximal minimalism 44,943 photos, 2,854 members
- Fresh Minds 45,014 photos, 943 members
- Per Aspera Ad Astra 20,052 photos, 428 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 60,481 photos, 1,345 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 113,196 photos, 4,316 members
- Simply Abstract 925 photos, 46 members
- Landscapes!!! 1,630,770 photos, 52,490 members
- #2/...flickrjob premium (P1 - AW2) 10,394 photos, 578 members
- #1/...flickrjob different ~ (P1 - AW2) 24,233 photos, 1,087 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 26,572 photos, 635 members
- Abstract Reality 190,787 photos, 8,421 members
- Flair and Square 27,164 photos, 910 members
- 500x500 309,945 photos, 7,546 members
- Art Without End ... [P1/C3] 116,766 photos, 3,351 members
- ZYD Radio NUNES 11,523 photos, 281 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates - Urban Creatives 189,322 photos, 4,055 members
- Kwadrat / Square (no portrait) 22,383 photos, 526 members
- !Faire Abstraction de Tout - ONLY ABSTRACT , Please ! 36,936 photos, 936 members
- Gate to Paradise, Free Group for Free Artists, It's your group 70,115 photos, 1,308 members
- Composers & Performers II (post 1, comment 1) 886 photos, 113 members
- Quadratum 65,216 photos, 637 members
- Salon Polski 20,204 photos, 451 members
If it had not been invented photography
surely you would be a painter!
Gdyby nie wynaleziono fotografii
napewno byłbyś malarzem!
July 12th, 2011
Ania Tuzel Photography says:
"Jurek is a great artist, his photography is very powerful, bold, vivid and intense,so alive and unique...He has a Wonderful eye for color, shapes and subjects,he sees the unusual and the absurd,
it's a great pleasure to see his sight of "everyday life", I'm a big fan of his work, Very, very inspiring. thank you!"
February 27th, 2011
Neta Gov says:
"ARTIST ! (point)"
November 3rd, 2010
"Master of golden composition, sensitive and intelligent eye, great friend.
One of those photographer who make Flickr such incredible place.
So instead of reading this testimonial go and browse trough his work - you will find much more interesting things there:)"
April 3rd, 2010
bite-sized design says:
"I totally love Jurek's photography. He works with detail, light, texture, smell, perspective and meaning and most likely never goes anywhere without a camera (except for social settings). I want to hang my house full of his framed art, and one day I will travel to Poland to see how he works."
February 3rd, 2009
"Jurek is the Master of Detail. It is not important where he is: city or country side, he always finds something unusual, or just usual but missed by others. His titles are often surprise for me by its association giving the picture another dimension. And I like it!"
December 21st, 2008
"instead of reading this testimonial, simply click "← Photostream" on the left and enjoy the world of Jurek's photos, full of vibrant colours, wonderful details and things you don't usually notice...
September 16th, 2008
"With his fine sense of composition, Jurek can focus on ordinary parts of the world and make them special. This alert photographer notices things that many other eyes would ignore, giving his stream a refreshing and inspirational quality. His subject matter is diverse but usually includes a fresh perspective on whatever he points his camera at. Aspiring photographers who want to know the secret of creating great shots in a wide range of contexts could do worse than studying Jurek D.’s entertaining photostream."
March 18th, 2008
"There are probably thousands of brilliant photographers on Flickr but there are relatively few who make me stop, look, and try to learn, try to see through another's eyes. Jurek's one of those few: I've already seen a difference in my work (some of it), in my subjects, because of what he's shown by example. And even if I couldn't learn, every stop on his stream brings a smile. I love starting the day with him. (And I love his word games...welcome to a new renaissance.)"
October 19th, 2007
"Jurek is an amazing photographer. He has an amazing eye for detail. His photos often allow me to see things of great beauty that I would normally dismiss as mundane. The high quality of his large body of work is never compromised and he is an inspiration to me and many others."
September 12th, 2007
"Looking at Jurek's photos is good for your soul."
May 16th, 2007
- jurek d.
- February 2006
- academic teacher
- jurek.durczak [at] gmail.com