"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." (Garry Winogrand)
Not that it matters, but... I have been interested in taking pictures since my teenage years. For a long time, photography gave me an equal share of joy and frustration. The joy must be familiar to anyone who makes his or her own prints—to see black and grey shapes emerge on the surface of orange-lit, wet photographic paper is an unforgettable experience. However, that early joy was often accompanied by frustration. Having to rely on the poor quality materials that were available in my country at that time was often painfully disappointing.
This changed many years later when I bought my first digital camera. This camera gave me full control over the technical and creative process. With an enthusiasm comparable to that of my school years, I started spending long hours with Photoshop downloading, organizing, cropping, and enhancing.
In comparing my new photographs with the older, pre-digital era ones I realized that my interest had shifted away from the big picture to small details. I was no longer interested in sweeping panoramas or landscapes, but, rather, I was attracted to details, fragments, and sections. Instead of seeking out the unusual or unique, I sought the ordinary or the mundane. Indeed, I began to photograph objects or scenes that might seem, at first glance, to be average and unassuming, but which revealed intriguing or aesthetically pleasing aspects when viewed through my camera’s lens.
This departure from the big picture made me see the world in a new way; it allowed me to appreciate the unexpected beauty of intricate textures, the intriguing geometry of towns and cities, the spectacular subtlety of nature’s color, the order in chaos and chaos in order.
If you want to know more read THIS
- Geometric Beauty 213,283 photos, 12,026 members
- Urbane Fragmentation 11,190 photos, 681 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 6,118 photos, 237 members
- The best photographs from around the world 151,522 photos, 9,567 members
- Top_lens_photography 18,011 photos, 454 members
- B&W 5,302,675 photos, 229,484 members
- I love colours (post 1, award 2) 18,000 photos, 996 members
- Utata 463,928 photos, 28,316 members
- Landscape Beauty ! 1,890,861 photos, 70,487 members
- Flickr photo unlimited 232,419 photos, 3,454 members
- The Fog and The Rain 29,781 photos, 2,866 members
- hipstography 36,235 photos, 1,008 members
- Lublin 2,392 photos, 229 members
- Lublin Miasto Inspiracji 147 photos, 7 members
- the naked abstract (closed for 2 weeks holiday) 2,210 photos, 137 members
- Less is more 47,858 photos, 2,152 members
- collegium_artisticum 3,343 photos, 225 members
- White Winter Wonders 11,852 photos, 708 members
- FUJIFILM X-T ⌘ PURE LANDSCAPES 21,090 photos, 1,720 members
- The Minimalist Manifesto 280 photos, 95 members
- Quadrado / No flowers,no children,no frames 25,948 photos, 839 members
- Flickr Addicts 9,338,480 photos, 133,829 members
- Libro de Fotos / Photo Book 704,978 photos, 8,850 members
- Photo Art Non-Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 7,741 photos, 319 members
- B Square 340,234 photos, 10,053 members
- iClick! 295,051 photos, 3,003 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 23,977 photos, 964 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 212,568 photos, 15,544 members
- Maximal minimalism 43,049 photos, 2,772 members
- Fresh Minds 44,755 photos, 942 members
- Per Aspera Ad Astra 19,934 photos, 431 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 59,483 photos, 1,331 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 110,374 photos, 4,298 members
- Simply Abstract 924 photos, 44 members
- Landscapes!!! 1,636,410 photos, 52,246 members
- #2/...flickrjob premium (P1 - AW2) 10,229 photos, 575 members
- #1/...flickrjob different ~ (P1 - AW2) 24,021 photos, 1,080 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 26,431 photos, 636 members
- Abstract Reality 187,494 photos, 8,353 members
- Flair and Square 27,253 photos, 907 members
- 500x500 310,455 photos, 7,559 members
- Art Without End ... [P1/C3] 115,529 photos, 3,346 members
- ZYD Radio NUNES 11,525 photos, 282 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates - Urban Creatives 188,466 photos, 4,059 members
- Kwadrat / Square (no portrait) 22,069 photos, 528 members
- !Faire Abstraction de Tout - ONLY ABSTRACT , Please ! 36,211 photos, 929 members
- Gate to Paradise, Free Group for Free Artists, It's your group 69,373 photos, 1,303 members
- Composers & Performers II (post 1, comment 1) 888 photos, 113 members
- Quadratum 64,446 photos, 639 members
- Salon Polski 19,957 photos, 450 members
If it had not been invented photography
surely you would be a painter!
Gdyby nie wynaleziono fotografii
napewno byłbyś malarzem!
July 12th, 2011
Ania Tuzel Photography says:
"Jurek is a great artist, his photography is very powerful, bold, vivid and intense,so alive and unique...He has a Wonderful eye for color, shapes and subjects,he sees the unusual and the absurd,
it's a great pleasure to see his sight of "everyday life", I'm a big fan of his work, Very, very inspiring. thank you!"
February 27th, 2011
Neta Gov says:
"ARTIST ! (point)"
November 3rd, 2010
"Master of golden composition, sensitive and intelligent eye, great friend.
One of those photographer who make Flickr such incredible place.
So instead of reading this testimonial go and browse trough his work - you will find much more interesting things there:)"
April 3rd, 2010
o|o lianne says:
"I totally love Jurek's photography. He works with detail, light, texture, smell, perspective and meaning and most likely never goes anywhere without a camera (except for social settings). I want to hang my house full of his framed art, and one day I will travel to Poland to see how he works."
February 3rd, 2009
"Jurek is the Master of Detail. It is not important where he is: city or country side, he always finds something unusual, or just usual but missed by others. His titles are often surprise for me by its association giving the picture another dimension. And I like it!"
December 21st, 2008
"instead of reading this testimonial, simply click "← Photostream" on the left and enjoy the world of Jurek's photos, full of vibrant colours, wonderful details and things you don't usually notice...
September 16th, 2008
"With his fine sense of composition, Jurek can focus on ordinary parts of the world and make them special. This alert photographer notices things that many other eyes would ignore, giving his stream a refreshing and inspirational quality. His subject matter is diverse but usually includes a fresh perspective on whatever he points his camera at. Aspiring photographers who want to know the secret of creating great shots in a wide range of contexts could do worse than studying Jurek D.’s entertaining photostream."
March 18th, 2008
"There are probably thousands of brilliant photographers on Flickr but there are relatively few who make me stop, look, and try to learn, try to see through another's eyes. Jurek's one of those few: I've already seen a difference in my work (some of it), in my subjects, because of what he's shown by example. And even if I couldn't learn, every stop on his stream brings a smile. I love starting the day with him. (And I love his word games...welcome to a new renaissance.)"
October 19th, 2007
"Jurek is an amazing photographer. He has an amazing eye for detail. His photos often allow me to see things of great beauty that I would normally dismiss as mundane. The high quality of his large body of work is never compromised and he is an inspiration to me and many others."
September 12th, 2007
"Looking at Jurek's photos is good for your soul."
May 16th, 2007
- jurek d.
- February 2006
- academic teacher
- jurek.durczak [at] gmail.com