"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." (Garry Winogrand)
Not that it matters, but... I have been interested in taking pictures since my teenage years. For a long time, photography gave me an equal share of joy and frustration. The joy must be familiar to anyone who makes his or her own prints—to see black and grey shapes emerge on the surface of orange-lit, wet photographic paper is an unforgettable experience. However, that early joy was often accompanied by frustration. Having to rely on the poor quality materials that were available in my country at that time was often painfully disappointing.
This changed many years later when I bought my first digital camera. This camera gave me full control over the technical and creative process. With an enthusiasm comparable to that of my school years, I started spending long hours with Photoshop downloading, organizing, cropping, and enhancing.
In comparing my new photographs with the older, pre-digital era ones I realized that my interest had shifted away from the big picture to small details. I was no longer interested in sweeping panoramas or landscapes, but, rather, I was attracted to details, fragments, and sections. Instead of seeking out the unusual or unique, I sought the ordinary or the mundane. Indeed, I began to photograph objects or scenes that might seem, at first glance, to be average and unassuming, but which revealed intriguing or aesthetically pleasing aspects when viewed through my camera’s lens.
This departure from the big picture made me see the world in a new way; it allowed me to appreciate the unexpected beauty of intricate textures, the intriguing geometry of towns and cities, the spectacular subtlety of nature’s color, the order in chaos and chaos in order.
If you want to know more read THIS
- ₪ LETTERS, NUMBERS, SYMBOLS ₪ 4,949 photos, 864 members
- iClick! 47,457 photos, 2,157 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 11,789 photos, 965 members
- Hipstamatic - Hipstamatic Photography - HipstaWe 31,493 photos, 719 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 184,523 photos, 14,523 members
- Maximal minimalism 15,676 photos, 1,155 members
- WALKING LANDSCAPES 76,564 photos, 2,978 members
- Fresh Minds 37,760 photos, 917 members
- Per Aspera Ad Astra 15,548 photos, 404 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 40,909 photos, 1,087 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 71,430 photos, 3,947 members
- Simply Abstract 694 photos, 37 members
- ROTHKOesque 10,340 photos, 9,259 members
- Landscapes!!! 952,138 photos, 42,308 members
- #2/...flickrjob premium (P1 - AW2) 8,151 photos, 591 members
- #1/...flickrjob different ~ (P1 - AW2) 22,829 photos, 1,333 members
- Chasing Shadows 41,446 photos, 1,869 members
- That Retro Lo-Fi look (post & comment) 9,273 photos, 338 members
- Visual Haiku 28,118 photos, 745 members
- collegium_artisticum_book 75 photos, 39 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 22,932 photos, 633 members
- Abstract Reality 142,090 photos, 6,718 members
- Flair and Square 25,853 photos, 885 members
- 500x500 308,687 photos, 7,551 members
- Art Without End ... [P1/C3] 86,007 photos, 3,097 members
- ZYD Radio NUNES 10,992 photos, 275 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates 124,051 photos, 3,722 members
- Kwadrat / Square (no portrait) 17,470 photos, 520 members
- !Faire Abstraction de Tout 22,891 photos, 872 members
- Gate to Paradise, Free Group for Free Artists, It's your group 49,314 photos, 1,197 members
- Composers & Performers II (post 1, comment 1) 944 photos, 114 members
- Quadratum 46,857 photos, 592 members
- shadows of light - ombre di luce 23,190 photos, 1,061 members
- Salon Polski - konkurs "Odloty" 15,743 photos, 390 members
- Abstract_ photo (post 1 / com 2) 53,734 photos, 2,493 members
- FLOOR tertius... 6,563 photos, 528 members
- FLOOR secundus (post 1, award 2)..... Welcome to Floor pink 9,701 photos, 777 members
- Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or Landscapes.P1- 71,393 photos, 4,305 members
- ஐ A Perfect Square Image ஐ (Cmt 2) 22,826 photos, 1,384 members
- collegium_artisticum 3,417 photos, 236 members
- Dizajnersi [P1 / A2] 107,952 photos, 2,052 members
- Composers & Performers I 17,511 photos, 222 members
- no_name_art 31,539 photos, 395 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 106,871 photos, 5,086 members
- The Authors' plaza 47,401 photos, 978 members
- -- intangible delicacies -- 24,074 photos, 728 members
- :: say no to big logos :: 20,963 photos, 152 members
- urbanabstractions 5,547 photos, 223 members
- Nellie Vin Fine Art Magazine 8,155 photos, 386 members
- A Real Gem! - Post One ~ Award Three - 10,000+ Members Strong! 385,204 photos, 12,437 members
If it had not been invented photography
surely you would be a painter!
Gdyby nie wynaleziono fotografii
napewno byłbyś malarzem!
July 12th, 2011
Ania.Photography - off says:
"Jurek is a great artist, his photography is very powerful, bold, vivid and intense,so alive and unique...He has a Wonderful eye for color, shapes and subjects,he sees the unusual and the absurd,
it's a great pleasure to see his sight of "everyday life", I'm a big fan of his work, Very, very inspiring. thank you!"
February 27th, 2011
Neta Gov says:
"ARTIST ! (point)"
November 3rd, 2010
"Master of golden composition, sensitive and intelligent eye, great friend.
One of those photographer who make Flickr such incredible place.
So instead of reading this testimonial go and browse trough his work - you will find much more interesting things there:)"
April 3rd, 2010
o|o lianne says:
"I totally love Jurek's photography. He works with detail, light, texture, smell, perspective and meaning and most likely never goes anywhere without a camera (except for social settings). I want to hang my house full of his framed art, and one day I will travel to Poland to see how he works."
February 3rd, 2009
"Jurek is the Master of Detail. It is not important where he is: city or country side, he always finds something unusual, or just usual but missed by others. His titles are often surprise for me by its association giving the picture another dimension. And I like it!"
December 21st, 2008
"instead of reading this testimonial, simply click "← Photostream" on the left and enjoy the world of Jurek's photos, full of vibrant colours, wonderful details and things you don't usually notice...
September 16th, 2008
"With his fine sense of composition, Jurek can focus on ordinary parts of the world and make them special. This alert photographer notices things that many other eyes would ignore, giving his stream a refreshing and inspirational quality. His subject matter is diverse but usually includes a fresh perspective on whatever he points his camera at. Aspiring photographers who want to know the secret of creating great shots in a wide range of contexts could do worse than studying Jurek D.’s entertaining photostream."
March 18th, 2008
"There are probably thousands of brilliant photographers on Flickr but there are relatively few who make me stop, look, and try to learn, try to see through another's eyes. Jurek's one of those few: I've already seen a difference in my work (some of it), in my subjects, because of what he's shown by example. And even if I couldn't learn, every stop on his stream brings a smile. I love starting the day with him. (And I love his word games...welcome to a new renaissance.)"
October 19th, 2007
"Jurek is an amazing photographer. He has an amazing eye for detail. His photos often allow me to see things of great beauty that I would normally dismiss as mundane. The high quality of his large body of work is never compromised and he is an inspiration to me and many others."
September 12th, 2007
"Looking at Jurek's photos is good for your soul."
May 16th, 2007
- jurek d.
- February 2006
- jurek.durczak [at] gmail.com