"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." (Garry Winogrand)
Not that it matters, but... I have been interested in taking pictures since my teenage years. For a long time, photography gave me an equal share of joy and frustration. The joy must be familiar to anyone who makes his or her own prints—to see black and grey shapes emerge on the surface of orange-lit, wet photographic paper is an unforgettable experience. However, that early joy was often accompanied by frustration. Having to rely on the poor quality materials that were available in my country at that time was often painfully disappointing.
This changed many years later when I bought my first digital camera. This camera gave me full control over the technical and creative process. With an enthusiasm comparable to that of my school years, I started spending long hours with Photoshop downloading, organizing, cropping, and enhancing.
In comparing my new photographs with the older, pre-digital era ones I realized that my interest had shifted away from the big picture to small details. I was no longer interested in sweeping panoramas or landscapes, but, rather, I was attracted to details, fragments, and sections. Instead of seeking out the unusual or unique, I sought the ordinary or the mundane. Indeed, I began to photograph objects or scenes that might seem, at first glance, to be average and unassuming, but which revealed intriguing or aesthetically pleasing aspects when viewed through my camera’s lens.
This departure from the big picture made me see the world in a new way; it allowed me to appreciate the unexpected beauty of intricate textures, the intriguing geometry of towns and cities, the spectacular subtlety of nature’s color, the order in chaos and chaos in order.
If you want to know more read THIS
- iClick! 6,981 photos, 1,220 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 8,965 photos, 935 members
- Hipstamatic - Hipstamatic Photography - HipstaWe 30,367 photos, 711 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 179,372 photos, 14,291 members
- Maximal minimalism 13,225 photos, 971 members
- WALKING LANDSCAPES 65,268 photos, 2,803 members
- Fresh Minds 37,045 photos, 911 members
- Per Aspera Ad Astra 14,823 photos, 401 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 37,589 photos, 1,021 members
- Noir/Outre-Noir 8,148 photos, 601 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 63,545 photos, 3,814 members
- Simply Abstract 626 photos, 35 members
- ROTHKOesque 10,372 photos, 8,573 members
- Landscapes!!! 785,015 photos, 37,203 members
- #2/...flickrjob premium (P1 - AW2) 7,839 photos, 603 members
- +..flickrjob different ~ (P1 - AW2) 23,446 photos, 1,409 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 5,018 photos, 216 members
- Chasing Shadows 41,067 photos, 1,824 members
- That Retro Lo-Fi look (post & comment) 8,581 photos, 322 members
- Visual Haiku 25,480 photos, 702 members
- collegium_artisticum_book 80 photos, 40 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 22,109 photos, 626 members
- Abstract Reality 135,964 photos, 6,411 members
- Flair and Square 25,379 photos, 880 members
- 500x500 307,828 photos, 7,550 members
- Art Without End ... NEW [P1/C3] 80,579 photos, 3,000 members
- ZYD Radio NUNES 11,214 photos, 230 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates 113,596 photos, 3,378 members
- Kwadrat / Square (no portrait) 16,521 photos, 516 members
- !Faire Abstraction de Tout 21,009 photos, 847 members
- Gate to Paradise, Free Group for Free Artists, It's your group 45,569 photos, 1,157 members
- Composers & Performers II (post 1, comment 1) 940 photos, 112 members
- Quadratum 43,773 photos, 577 members
- shadows of light - ombre di luce 22,736 photos, 997 members
- Salon Polski - konkurs "Przeszłość" 15,169 photos, 381 members
- Abstract_ photo (post 1 / com 2) 53,249 photos, 2,520 members
- FLOOR tertius... 6,002 photos, 474 members
- FLOOR secundus (post 1, award 2)..... Welcome to Floor pink 9,125 photos, 695 members
- Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or Landscapes C2 67,965 photos, 4,159 members
- ஐ A Perfect Square Image ஐ (Cmt 2) 22,703 photos, 1,384 members
- collegium_artisticum 3,472 photos, 237 members
- Dizajnersi [P1 / A2] 105,053 photos, 2,050 members
- Composers & Performers I 17,166 photos, 220 members
- no_name_art 30,073 photos, 401 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 105,152 photos, 5,063 members
- The Authors' plaza 46,742 photos, 982 members
- -- intangible delicacies -- 24,137 photos, 738 members
- :: say no to big logos :: 20,451 photos, 153 members
- urbanabstractions 5,571 photos, 225 members
- Nellie Vin Fine Art Magazine 8,041 photos, 389 members
If it had not been invented photography
surely you would be a painter!
Gdyby nie wynaleziono fotografii
napewno byłbyś malarzem!
July 12th, 2011
Ania.Photography - OFF says:
"Jurek is a great artist, his photography is very powerful, bold, vivid and intense,so alive and unique...He has a Wonderful eye for color, shapes and subjects,he sees the unusual and the absurd,
it's a great pleasure to see his sight of "everyday life", I'm a big fan of his work, Very, very inspiring. thank you!"
February 27th, 2011
Neta Gov says:
"ARTIST ! (point)"
November 3rd, 2010
"Master of golden composition, sensitive and intelligent eye, great friend.
One of those photographer who make Flickr such incredible place.
So instead of reading this testimonial go and browse trough his work - you will find much more interesting things there:)"
April 3rd, 2010
o|o lianne says:
"I totally love Jurek's photography. He works with detail, light, texture, smell, perspective and meaning and most likely never goes anywhere without a camera (except for social settings). I want to hang my house full of his framed art, and one day I will travel to Poland to see how he works."
February 3rd, 2009
"Jurek is the Master of Detail. It is not important where he is: city or country side, he always finds something unusual, or just usual but missed by others. His titles are often surprise for me by its association giving the picture another dimension. And I like it!"
December 21st, 2008
"instead of reading this testimonial, simply click "← Photostream" on the left and enjoy the world of Jurek's photos, full of vibrant colours, wonderful details and things you don't usually notice...
September 16th, 2008
"With his fine sense of composition, Jurek can focus on ordinary parts of the world and make them special. This alert photographer notices things that many other eyes would ignore, giving his stream a refreshing and inspirational quality. His subject matter is diverse but usually includes a fresh perspective on whatever he points his camera at. Aspiring photographers who want to know the secret of creating great shots in a wide range of contexts could do worse than studying Jurek D.’s entertaining photostream."
March 18th, 2008
"There are probably thousands of brilliant photographers on Flickr but there are relatively few who make me stop, look, and try to learn, try to see through another's eyes. Jurek's one of those few: I've already seen a difference in my work (some of it), in my subjects, because of what he's shown by example. And even if I couldn't learn, every stop on his stream brings a smile. I love starting the day with him. (And I love his word games...welcome to a new renaissance.)"
October 19th, 2007
"Jurek is an amazing photographer. He has an amazing eye for detail. His photos often allow me to see things of great beauty that I would normally dismiss as mundane. The high quality of his large body of work is never compromised and he is an inspiration to me and many others."
September 12th, 2007
"Looking at Jurek's photos is good for your soul."
May 16th, 2007
- jurek d.
- February 2006
- jurek.durczak [at] gmail.com