"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." (Garry Winogrand)
Not that it matters, but... I have been interested in taking pictures since my teenage years. For a long time, photography gave me an equal share of joy and frustration. The joy must be familiar to anyone who makes his or her own prints—to see black and grey shapes emerge on the surface of orange-lit, wet photographic paper is an unforgettable experience. However, that early joy was often accompanied by frustration. Having to rely on the poor quality materials that were available in my country at that time was often painfully disappointing.
This changed many years later when I bought my first digital camera. This camera gave me full control over the technical and creative process. With an enthusiasm comparable to that of my school years, I started spending long hours with Photoshop downloading, organizing, cropping, and enhancing.
In comparing my new photographs with the older, pre-digital era ones I realized that my interest had shifted away from the big picture to small details. I was no longer interested in sweeping panoramas or landscapes, but, rather, I was attracted to details, fragments, and sections. Instead of seeking out the unusual or unique, I sought the ordinary or the mundane. Indeed, I began to photograph objects or scenes that might seem, at first glance, to be average and unassuming, but which revealed intriguing or aesthetically pleasing aspects when viewed through my camera’s lens.
This departure from the big picture made me see the world in a new way; it allowed me to appreciate the unexpected beauty of intricate textures, the intriguing geometry of towns and cities, the spectacular subtlety of nature’s color, the order in chaos and chaos in order.
If you want to know more read THIS
- Photo Art Non-Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 4,887 photos, 269 members
- B Square 326,404 photos, 9,945 members
- iClick! 70,879 photos, 2,328 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 13,208 photos, 969 members
- Hipstamatic - Hipstamatic Photography - HipstaWe 31,802 photos, 723 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 187,629 photos, 14,666 members
- Maximal minimalism 17,267 photos, 1,271 members
- Fresh Minds 37,844 photos, 926 members
- Per Aspera Ad Astra 16,126 photos, 411 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 42,606 photos, 1,113 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 75,890 photos, 4,013 members
- Simply Abstract 697 photos, 37 members
- ROTHKOesque 10,280 photos, 9,620 members
- Landscapes!!! 1,039,919 photos, 43,282 members
- #2/...flickrjob premium (P1 - AW2) 8,317 photos, 595 members
- #1/...flickrjob different ~ (P1 - AW2) 23,240 photos, 1,341 members
- Chasing Shadows 41,677 photos, 1,872 members
- That Retro Lo-Fi look (post & comment) 9,552 photos, 344 members
- Visual Haiku 29,782 photos, 771 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 23,307 photos, 635 members
- Abstract Reality 144,741 photos, 6,868 members
- Flair and Square 25,880 photos, 882 members
- 500x500 307,906 photos, 7,554 members
- Art Without End ... [P1/C3] 89,725 photos, 3,146 members
- ZYD Radio NUNES 11,103 photos, 274 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates - Urban Creatives 134,456 photos, 3,863 members
- Kwadrat / Square (no portrait) 17,943 photos, 522 members
- !Faire Abstraction de Tout 23,884 photos, 877 members
- Gate to Paradise, Free Group for Free Artists, It's your group 51,870 photos, 1,212 members
- Composers & Performers II (post 1, comment 1) 933 photos, 114 members
- Quadratum 48,389 photos, 596 members
- Salon Polski 16,165 photos, 398 members
- FLOOR tertius... 6,824 photos, 546 members
- FLOOR secundus (post 1, award 2)..... Welcome to Floor pink 10,046 photos, 804 members
- Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or Landscapes.P1- 73,834 photos, 4,384 members
- ஐ A Perfect Square Image ஐ (Cmt 2) 22,850 photos, 1,385 members
- Dizajnersi [P1 / A2] 109,234 photos, 2,051 members
- Composers & Performers I 17,597 photos, 222 members
- no_name_art 32,251 photos, 392 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 108,535 photos, 5,091 members
- The Authors' plaza 47,618 photos, 976 members
- :: say no to big logos :: 21,345 photos, 150 members
- urbanabstractions 5,535 photos, 223 members
- Nellie Vin Fine Art Magazine 8,192 photos, 387 members
- A Real Gem! - Post One ~ Award Three - 10,000+ Members Strong! 390,124 photos, 12,467 members
- !*Flickr Award Group*! (GIVE 5 AWARDS) 2,858,396 photos, 96,106 members
- The Light Painters Society 462,032 photos, 16,360 members
- Shadow & Light (Post 1 - Comment on 1) 83,658 photos, 3,522 members
- ***PhotoGraphia*** HQ Moderated Group 34,781 photos, 2,687 members
- Abstract Art Awards -=Post 1, Award 3=-- 61,190 photos, 7,850 members
If it had not been invented photography
surely you would be a painter!
Gdyby nie wynaleziono fotografii
napewno byłbyś malarzem!
July 12th, 2011
"Jurek is a great artist, his photography is very powerful, bold, vivid and intense,so alive and unique...He has a Wonderful eye for color, shapes and subjects,he sees the unusual and the absurd,
it's a great pleasure to see his sight of "everyday life", I'm a big fan of his work, Very, very inspiring. thank you!"
February 27th, 2011
Neta Gov says:
"ARTIST ! (point)"
November 3rd, 2010
"Master of golden composition, sensitive and intelligent eye, great friend.
One of those photographer who make Flickr such incredible place.
So instead of reading this testimonial go and browse trough his work - you will find much more interesting things there:)"
April 3rd, 2010
o|o lianne says:
"I totally love Jurek's photography. He works with detail, light, texture, smell, perspective and meaning and most likely never goes anywhere without a camera (except for social settings). I want to hang my house full of his framed art, and one day I will travel to Poland to see how he works."
February 3rd, 2009
"Jurek is the Master of Detail. It is not important where he is: city or country side, he always finds something unusual, or just usual but missed by others. His titles are often surprise for me by its association giving the picture another dimension. And I like it!"
December 21st, 2008
"instead of reading this testimonial, simply click "← Photostream" on the left and enjoy the world of Jurek's photos, full of vibrant colours, wonderful details and things you don't usually notice...
September 16th, 2008
"With his fine sense of composition, Jurek can focus on ordinary parts of the world and make them special. This alert photographer notices things that many other eyes would ignore, giving his stream a refreshing and inspirational quality. His subject matter is diverse but usually includes a fresh perspective on whatever he points his camera at. Aspiring photographers who want to know the secret of creating great shots in a wide range of contexts could do worse than studying Jurek D.’s entertaining photostream."
March 18th, 2008
"There are probably thousands of brilliant photographers on Flickr but there are relatively few who make me stop, look, and try to learn, try to see through another's eyes. Jurek's one of those few: I've already seen a difference in my work (some of it), in my subjects, because of what he's shown by example. And even if I couldn't learn, every stop on his stream brings a smile. I love starting the day with him. (And I love his word games...welcome to a new renaissance.)"
October 19th, 2007
"Jurek is an amazing photographer. He has an amazing eye for detail. His photos often allow me to see things of great beauty that I would normally dismiss as mundane. The high quality of his large body of work is never compromised and he is an inspiration to me and many others."
September 12th, 2007
"Looking at Jurek's photos is good for your soul."
May 16th, 2007
- jurek d.
- February 2006
- jurek.durczak [at] gmail.com