"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." (Garry Winogrand)
Not that it matters, but... I have been interested in taking pictures since my teenage years. For a long time, photography gave me an equal share of joy and frustration. The joy must be familiar to anyone who makes his or her own prints—to see black and grey shapes emerge on the surface of orange-lit, wet photographic paper is an unforgettable experience. However, that early joy was often accompanied by frustration. Having to rely on the poor quality materials that were available in my country at that time was often painfully disappointing.
This changed many years later when I bought my first digital camera. This camera gave me full control over the technical and creative process. With an enthusiasm comparable to that of my school years, I started spending long hours with Photoshop downloading, organizing, cropping, and enhancing.
In comparing my new photographs with the older, pre-digital era ones I realized that my interest had shifted away from the big picture to small details. I was no longer interested in sweeping panoramas or landscapes, but, rather, I was attracted to details, fragments, and sections. Instead of seeking out the unusual or unique, I sought the ordinary or the mundane. Indeed, I began to photograph objects or scenes that might seem, at first glance, to be average and unassuming, but which revealed intriguing or aesthetically pleasing aspects when viewed through my camera’s lens.
This departure from the big picture made me see the world in a new way; it allowed me to appreciate the unexpected beauty of intricate textures, the intriguing geometry of towns and cities, the spectacular subtlety of nature’s color, the order in chaos and chaos in order.
If you want to know more read THIS
- Flickr Addicts 8,292,745 photos, 114,559 members
- ***Game of geometry and cubism ↔ lines & abstract subjects A2 7,927 photos, 515 members
- ***DIGITAL & HYPERREALISM PAINTINGS (Moderated) - P1-A2 4,875 photos, 756 members
- Libro de Fotos / Photo Book 512,718 photos, 8,449 members
- Chronic City 1,230 photos, 188 members
- Monday Blues/ Post 1- Award 2 19,034 photos, 2,247 members
- Photo Art Non-Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 5,491 photos, 288 members
- B Square 332,474 photos, 9,988 members
- iClick! 135,233 photos, 2,567 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 16,283 photos, 973 members
- Hipstamatic - Hipstamatic Photography - HipstaWe 32,563 photos, 727 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 192,775 photos, 14,915 members
- Maximal minimalism 21,667 photos, 1,525 members
- Fresh Minds 39,506 photos, 939 members
- Per Aspera Ad Astra 17,176 photos, 427 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 46,688 photos, 1,169 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 85,436 photos, 4,109 members
- Simply Abstract 764 photos, 37 members
- ROTHKOesque 10,209 photos, 10,295 members
- Landscapes!!! 1,202,482 photos, 44,879 members
- #2/...flickrjob premium (P1 - AW2) 8,703 photos, 609 members
- #1/...flickrjob different ~ (P1 - AW2) 23,223 photos, 1,296 members
- Chasing Shadows 42,181 photos, 1,936 members
- That Retro Lo-Fi look (post & comment) 10,144 photos, 365 members
- Visual Haiku 33,055 photos, 818 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 23,930 photos, 642 members
- Abstract Reality 152,697 photos, 7,142 members
- Flair and Square 26,112 photos, 887 members
- 500x500 310,526 photos, 7,582 members
- Art Without End ... [P1/C3] 96,416 photos, 3,241 members
- ZYD Radio NUNES 11,423 photos, 287 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates - Urban Creatives 151,372 photos, 3,961 members
- Kwadrat / Square (no portrait) 18,655 photos, 522 members
- !Faire Abstraction de Tout 26,700 photos, 895 members
- Gate to Paradise, Free Group for Free Artists, It's your group 56,534 photos, 1,251 members
- Composers & Performers II (post 1, comment 1) 927 photos, 113 members
- Quadratum 51,728 photos, 620 members
- Salon Polski 16,991 photos, 410 members
- FLOOR tertius... 7,303 photos, 599 members
- FLOOR secundus (post 1, award 2)..... Welcome to Floor pink 10,648 photos, 868 members
- Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or Landscapes.P1- 79,377 photos, 4,517 members
- ஐ A Perfect Square Image ஐ (Cmt 2) 23,340 photos, 1,393 members
- Dizajnersi [P1 / A2] 113,972 photos, 2,079 members
- Composers & Performers I 18,030 photos, 223 members
- no_name_art 33,760 photos, 388 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 111,615 photos, 5,102 members
- The Authors' plaza 47,990 photos, 972 members
- :: say no to big logos :: 21,934 photos, 147 members
- urbanabstractions 5,499 photos, 222 members
- Nellie Vin Fine Art Magazine 8,397 photos, 389 members
If it had not been invented photography
surely you would be a painter!
Gdyby nie wynaleziono fotografii
napewno byłbyś malarzem!
July 12th, 2011
Ania.Photography - Off says:
"Jurek is a great artist, his photography is very powerful, bold, vivid and intense,so alive and unique...He has a Wonderful eye for color, shapes and subjects,he sees the unusual and the absurd,
it's a great pleasure to see his sight of "everyday life", I'm a big fan of his work, Very, very inspiring. thank you!"
February 27th, 2011
Neta Gov says:
"ARTIST ! (point)"
November 3rd, 2010
"Master of golden composition, sensitive and intelligent eye, great friend.
One of those photographer who make Flickr such incredible place.
So instead of reading this testimonial go and browse trough his work - you will find much more interesting things there:)"
April 3rd, 2010
o|o lianne says:
"I totally love Jurek's photography. He works with detail, light, texture, smell, perspective and meaning and most likely never goes anywhere without a camera (except for social settings). I want to hang my house full of his framed art, and one day I will travel to Poland to see how he works."
February 3rd, 2009
"Jurek is the Master of Detail. It is not important where he is: city or country side, he always finds something unusual, or just usual but missed by others. His titles are often surprise for me by its association giving the picture another dimension. And I like it!"
December 21st, 2008
"instead of reading this testimonial, simply click "← Photostream" on the left and enjoy the world of Jurek's photos, full of vibrant colours, wonderful details and things you don't usually notice...
September 16th, 2008
"With his fine sense of composition, Jurek can focus on ordinary parts of the world and make them special. This alert photographer notices things that many other eyes would ignore, giving his stream a refreshing and inspirational quality. His subject matter is diverse but usually includes a fresh perspective on whatever he points his camera at. Aspiring photographers who want to know the secret of creating great shots in a wide range of contexts could do worse than studying Jurek D.’s entertaining photostream."
March 18th, 2008
"There are probably thousands of brilliant photographers on Flickr but there are relatively few who make me stop, look, and try to learn, try to see through another's eyes. Jurek's one of those few: I've already seen a difference in my work (some of it), in my subjects, because of what he's shown by example. And even if I couldn't learn, every stop on his stream brings a smile. I love starting the day with him. (And I love his word games...welcome to a new renaissance.)"
October 19th, 2007
"Jurek is an amazing photographer. He has an amazing eye for detail. His photos often allow me to see things of great beauty that I would normally dismiss as mundane. The high quality of his large body of work is never compromised and he is an inspiration to me and many others."
September 12th, 2007
"Looking at Jurek's photos is good for your soul."
May 16th, 2007
- jurek d.
- February 2006
- jurek.durczak [at] gmail.com