"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." (Garry Winogrand)
Not that it matters, but... I have been interested in taking pictures since my teenage years. For a long time, photography gave me an equal share of joy and frustration. The joy must be familiar to anyone who makes his or her own prints—to see black and grey shapes emerge on the surface of orange-lit, wet photographic paper is an unforgettable experience. However, that early joy was often accompanied by frustration. Having to rely on the poor quality materials that were available in my country at that time was often painfully disappointing.
This changed many years later when I bought my first digital camera. This camera gave me full control over the technical and creative process. With an enthusiasm comparable to that of my school years, I started spending long hours with Photoshop downloading, organizing, cropping, and enhancing.
In comparing my new photographs with the older, pre-digital era ones I realized that my interest had shifted away from the big picture to small details. I was no longer interested in sweeping panoramas or landscapes, but, rather, I was attracted to details, fragments, and sections. Instead of seeking out the unusual or unique, I sought the ordinary or the mundane. Indeed, I began to photograph objects or scenes that might seem, at first glance, to be average and unassuming, but which revealed intriguing or aesthetically pleasing aspects when viewed through my camera’s lens.
This departure from the big picture made me see the world in a new way; it allowed me to appreciate the unexpected beauty of intricate textures, the intriguing geometry of towns and cities, the spectacular subtlety of nature’s color, the order in chaos and chaos in order.
If you want to know more read THIS
- White Winter Wonders 3,089 photos, 410 members
- FUJIFILM X-T ⌘ PURE LANDSCAPES 11,680 photos, 1,159 members
- The Minimalist Manifesto 186 photos, 86 members
- Quadrado / No flowers,no children,no frames 17,878 photos, 736 members
- Flickr Addicts 9,158,094 photos, 121,698 members
- Libro de Fotos / Photo Book 589,554 photos, 8,702 members
- Photo Art Non-Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 6,127 photos, 305 members
- B Square 337,723 photos, 10,054 members
- iClick! 189,119 photos, 2,768 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 19,237 photos, 976 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 198,732 photos, 15,173 members
- Maximal minimalism 27,455 photos, 1,925 members
- Fresh Minds 41,228 photos, 940 members
- Per Aspera Ad Astra 18,090 photos, 438 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 50,233 photos, 1,225 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 93,929 photos, 4,184 members
- Simply Abstract 770 photos, 40 members
- Landscapes!!! 1,387,446 photos, 47,169 members
- #2/...flickrjob premium (P1 - AW2) 9,205 photos, 628 members
- #1/...flickrjob different ~ (P1 - AW2) 22,744 photos, 1,094 members
- Chasing Shadows 41,859 photos, 1,918 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 24,732 photos, 651 members
- Abstract Reality 160,638 photos, 7,468 members
- Flair and Square 26,012 photos, 880 members
- 500x500 308,373 photos, 7,585 members
- Art Without End ... [P1/C3] 101,844 photos, 3,326 members
- ZYD Radio NUNES 11,365 photos, 282 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates - Urban Creatives 165,612 photos, 4,005 members
- Kwadrat / Square (no portrait) 19,762 photos, 527 members
- !Faire Abstraction de Tout 29,544 photos, 907 members
- Gate to Paradise, Free Group for Free Artists, It's your group 61,404 photos, 1,279 members
- Composers & Performers II (post 1, comment 1) 906 photos, 113 members
- Quadratum 55,562 photos, 642 members
- Salon Polski 17,814 photos, 424 members
- FLOOR tertius... 7,723 photos, 528 members
- FLOOR secundus (post 1, award 2)..... Welcome to Floor pink 11,150 photos, 838 members
- Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or Landscapes.P1- 82,901 photos, 4,632 members
- ஐ A Perfect Square Image ஐ (Cmt 2) 23,920 photos, 1,380 members
- Dizajnersi [P1 / A2] 119,404 photos, 2,075 members
- Composers & Performers I 17,967 photos, 225 members
- no_name_art 35,445 photos, 388 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 114,961 photos, 5,098 members
- The Authors' plaza 48,221 photos, 967 members
- :: say no to big logos :: 22,747 photos, 145 members
- urbanabstractions 5,449 photos, 219 members
- Nellie Vin Fine Art Magazine 8,593 photos, 401 members
- A Real Gem! - Post One ~ Award Three - 10,000+ Members Strong! 413,136 photos, 12,537 members
- !*Flickr Award Group*! (GIVE 5 AWARDS) 2,972,589 photos, 96,024 members
- The Light Painters Society 521,438 photos, 17,022 members
- Shadow & Light (Post 1 - Comment on 1) 90,739 photos, 3,605 members
If it had not been invented photography
surely you would be a painter!
Gdyby nie wynaleziono fotografii
napewno byłbyś malarzem!
July 12th, 2011
Ania.Photography - busy says:
"Jurek is a great artist, his photography is very powerful, bold, vivid and intense,so alive and unique...He has a Wonderful eye for color, shapes and subjects,he sees the unusual and the absurd,
it's a great pleasure to see his sight of "everyday life", I'm a big fan of his work, Very, very inspiring. thank you!"
February 27th, 2011
Neta Gov says:
"ARTIST ! (point)"
November 3rd, 2010
"Master of golden composition, sensitive and intelligent eye, great friend.
One of those photographer who make Flickr such incredible place.
So instead of reading this testimonial go and browse trough his work - you will find much more interesting things there:)"
April 3rd, 2010
o|o lianne says:
"I totally love Jurek's photography. He works with detail, light, texture, smell, perspective and meaning and most likely never goes anywhere without a camera (except for social settings). I want to hang my house full of his framed art, and one day I will travel to Poland to see how he works."
February 3rd, 2009
"Jurek is the Master of Detail. It is not important where he is: city or country side, he always finds something unusual, or just usual but missed by others. His titles are often surprise for me by its association giving the picture another dimension. And I like it!"
December 21st, 2008
"instead of reading this testimonial, simply click "← Photostream" on the left and enjoy the world of Jurek's photos, full of vibrant colours, wonderful details and things you don't usually notice...
September 16th, 2008
"With his fine sense of composition, Jurek can focus on ordinary parts of the world and make them special. This alert photographer notices things that many other eyes would ignore, giving his stream a refreshing and inspirational quality. His subject matter is diverse but usually includes a fresh perspective on whatever he points his camera at. Aspiring photographers who want to know the secret of creating great shots in a wide range of contexts could do worse than studying Jurek D.’s entertaining photostream."
March 18th, 2008
"There are probably thousands of brilliant photographers on Flickr but there are relatively few who make me stop, look, and try to learn, try to see through another's eyes. Jurek's one of those few: I've already seen a difference in my work (some of it), in my subjects, because of what he's shown by example. And even if I couldn't learn, every stop on his stream brings a smile. I love starting the day with him. (And I love his word games...welcome to a new renaissance.)"
October 19th, 2007
"Jurek is an amazing photographer. He has an amazing eye for detail. His photos often allow me to see things of great beauty that I would normally dismiss as mundane. The high quality of his large body of work is never compromised and he is an inspiration to me and many others."
September 12th, 2007
"Looking at Jurek's photos is good for your soul."
May 16th, 2007
- jurek d.
- February 2006
- jurek.durczak [at] gmail.com