"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed." (Garry Winogrand)
Not that it matters, but... I have been interested in taking pictures since my teenage years. For a long time, photography gave me an equal share of joy and frustration. The joy must be familiar to anyone who makes his or her own prints—to see black and grey shapes emerge on the surface of orange-lit, wet photographic paper is an unforgettable experience. However, that early joy was often accompanied by frustration. Having to rely on the poor quality materials that were available in my country at that time was often painfully disappointing.
This changed many years later when I bought my first digital camera. This camera gave me full control over the technical and creative process. With an enthusiasm comparable to that of my school years, I started spending long hours with Photoshop downloading, organizing, cropping, and enhancing.
In comparing my new photographs with the older, pre-digital era ones I realized that my interest had shifted away from the big picture to small details. I was no longer interested in sweeping panoramas or landscapes, but, rather, I was attracted to details, fragments, and sections. Instead of seeking out the unusual or unique, I sought the ordinary or the mundane. Indeed, I began to photograph objects or scenes that might seem, at first glance, to be average and unassuming, but which revealed intriguing or aesthetically pleasing aspects when viewed through my camera’s lens.
This departure from the big picture made me see the world in a new way; it allowed me to appreciate the unexpected beauty of intricate textures, the intriguing geometry of towns and cities, the spectacular subtlety of nature’s color, the order in chaos and chaos in order.
If you want to know more read THIS
- FUJIFILM X-T ⌘ PURE LANDSCAPES 8,590 photos, 855 members
- The Minimalist Manifesto 140 photos, 80 members
- Quadrado / No flowers,no children,no frames 15,927 photos, 704 members
- Flickr Addicts 8,729,953 photos, 117,813 members
- ***Game of geometry and cubism ↔ lines & abstract subjects A2 8,739 photos, 526 members
- ***DIGITAL & HYPERREALISM PAINTINGS (Moderated) - P1-A2 6,338 photos, 786 members
- Libro de Fotos / Photo Book 550,818 photos, 8,564 members
- Chronic City 1,944 photos, 218 members
- Monday Blues/ Post 1- Award 2 18,587 photos, 2,101 members
- Photo Art Non-Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 5,771 photos, 297 members
- B Square 334,490 photos, 10,028 members
- iClick! 162,573 photos, 2,681 members
- SLR Adventure: Amateur / Semi pro / Professional / Photography 18,079 photos, 974 members
- Hipstamatic - Hipstamatic Photography - HipstaWe 32,733 photos, 731 members
- Lines&Curves - P1:C1 - no nature, no humans! 196,211 photos, 15,016 members
- Maximal minimalism 24,232 photos, 1,699 members
- Fresh Minds 40,499 photos, 938 members
- Per Aspera Ad Astra 17,668 photos, 436 members
- Eclectic Aesthetic 48,589 photos, 1,191 members
- Vermeer Pearls.. (P1/A2) 89,472 photos, 4,156 members
- Simply Abstract 767 photos, 38 members
- ROTHKOesque 10,201 photos, 10,517 members
- Landscapes!!! 1,297,342 photos, 45,727 members
- #2/...flickrjob premium (P1 - AW2) 8,944 photos, 618 members
- #1/...flickrjob different ~ (P1 - AW2) 23,029 photos, 1,205 members
- Chasing Shadows 41,968 photos, 1,927 members
- That Retro Lo-Fi look (post & comment) 10,481 photos, 375 members
- Visual Haiku 34,653 photos, 837 members
- Photo Art Square (P1/C2) Quality over quantity, please... 24,266 photos, 648 members
- Abstract Reality 156,737 photos, 7,304 members
- Flair and Square 26,159 photos, 880 members
- 500x500 308,433 photos, 7,579 members
- Art Without End ... [P1/C3] 98,799 photos, 3,287 members
- ZYD Radio NUNES 11,528 photos, 286 members
- Amsterdam Blog Associates - Urban Creatives 158,812 photos, 3,988 members
- Kwadrat / Square (no portrait) 19,192 photos, 527 members
- !Faire Abstraction de Tout 28,032 photos, 903 members
- Gate to Paradise, Free Group for Free Artists, It's your group 59,103 photos, 1,272 members
- Composers & Performers II (post 1, comment 1) 926 photos, 113 members
- Quadratum 53,936 photos, 631 members
- Salon Polski 17,389 photos, 416 members
- FLOOR tertius... 7,500 photos, 562 members
- FLOOR secundus (post 1, award 2)..... Welcome to Floor pink 10,894 photos, 851 members
- Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or Landscapes.P1- 81,586 photos, 4,569 members
- ஐ A Perfect Square Image ஐ (Cmt 2) 23,615 photos, 1,386 members
- Dizajnersi [P1 / A2] 116,770 photos, 2,083 members
- Composers & Performers I 18,214 photos, 227 members
- no_name_art 34,561 photos, 388 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 113,214 photos, 5,105 members
- The Authors' plaza 48,075 photos, 969 members
If it had not been invented photography
surely you would be a painter!
Gdyby nie wynaleziono fotografii
napewno byłbyś malarzem!
July 12th, 2011
"Jurek is a great artist, his photography is very powerful, bold, vivid and intense,so alive and unique...He has a Wonderful eye for color, shapes and subjects,he sees the unusual and the absurd,
it's a great pleasure to see his sight of "everyday life", I'm a big fan of his work, Very, very inspiring. thank you!"
February 27th, 2011
Neta Gov says:
"ARTIST ! (point)"
November 3rd, 2010
"Master of golden composition, sensitive and intelligent eye, great friend.
One of those photographer who make Flickr such incredible place.
So instead of reading this testimonial go and browse trough his work - you will find much more interesting things there:)"
April 3rd, 2010
o|o lianne says:
"I totally love Jurek's photography. He works with detail, light, texture, smell, perspective and meaning and most likely never goes anywhere without a camera (except for social settings). I want to hang my house full of his framed art, and one day I will travel to Poland to see how he works."
February 3rd, 2009
"Jurek is the Master of Detail. It is not important where he is: city or country side, he always finds something unusual, or just usual but missed by others. His titles are often surprise for me by its association giving the picture another dimension. And I like it!"
December 21st, 2008
"instead of reading this testimonial, simply click "← Photostream" on the left and enjoy the world of Jurek's photos, full of vibrant colours, wonderful details and things you don't usually notice...
September 16th, 2008
"With his fine sense of composition, Jurek can focus on ordinary parts of the world and make them special. This alert photographer notices things that many other eyes would ignore, giving his stream a refreshing and inspirational quality. His subject matter is diverse but usually includes a fresh perspective on whatever he points his camera at. Aspiring photographers who want to know the secret of creating great shots in a wide range of contexts could do worse than studying Jurek D.’s entertaining photostream."
March 18th, 2008
"There are probably thousands of brilliant photographers on Flickr but there are relatively few who make me stop, look, and try to learn, try to see through another's eyes. Jurek's one of those few: I've already seen a difference in my work (some of it), in my subjects, because of what he's shown by example. And even if I couldn't learn, every stop on his stream brings a smile. I love starting the day with him. (And I love his word games...welcome to a new renaissance.)"
October 19th, 2007
"Jurek is an amazing photographer. He has an amazing eye for detail. His photos often allow me to see things of great beauty that I would normally dismiss as mundane. The high quality of his large body of work is never compromised and he is an inspiration to me and many others."
September 12th, 2007
"Looking at Jurek's photos is good for your soul."
May 16th, 2007
- jurek d.
- February 2006
- jurek.durczak [at] gmail.com