I've had Barbie dolls since I was a child, but I've been collecting playscale miniatures for about 19 years. I've been wanting to photograph and catalog my miniatures for a long time now, and I'm finally getting around to it. Since I tend to over-pack my scenes, this has given me the chance to enjoy everything again, as it all was originally found - one little piece at a time! Each "set" of photos includes everything in that one room/scene.
Currently, I am still working on the art studio. A "sewing/craft room" is in its early stages. I still have a lot of misc items to photograph that are not displayed. I am also collecting pieces for a pioneer scene and an Indian scene. And I am trying to learn how to sew. :)
I've added to this mini-world slowly - finding or making one small item every other month, or while visiting a special flea market, finding 4 or 5 items all in one day. Almost everything "non-Barbie" was found second-hand at thrift stores, yard sales or flea markets. I've yet to find a playscale miniatures shop or even a book focused on 1/6 scale doll props. I'd love to have a book titled, "Treasured Barbie-Sized Finds - For Collectors Who Can't Help But Make A Scene!" Wouldn't that be the best!
Not many items are exactly 1/6 scale, but there are things that come near-perfectly close and look great in a Barbie house or scene. The amazing, one-of-a-kind 1/6 scale items available on ebay are definitely way out of my Barbie-sized budget. The most fun about finding affordable pieces is that almost every item ends up being completely unexpected - I never know what will turn up and where.
And even more special are the items given to me by a loved-one who says that they saw something and it made them think of me....What they need to know is that every time I "adjust my scenery" or rearrange my doll house, I see their gift, and in that moment, a sweet memory of them floods my mind and I realize how blessed I am to know them.
Over time, as my collection has grown, I've created scenes to reflect more and more of my individual interests and the people I love. Every single scene in my doll room has obvious and not-so-obvious items that remind me of so many dear people in my life - some were gifts, some made for me, some found on special trips with my family, some acquired in the oddest places....So many pieces have a little story, history or memory attached to them.
After the house scenes, I moved on to the shops. The shops are especially fun to create because I can take a hobby - dolls and miniatures - and add other interests. The antique/flea market shops stem from my love of "Little House On The Prairie" and "The Walton's." So many of the items remind me of favorite episodes or stories my grandparents have told. The western and Indian shops reflect my interest in the southwest and the movie/story "Dances With Wolves." The resale/consignment shops are fun because I've always loved fashion and shopping second-hand. And finally, the grocery store was always my favorite when I played with my dolls as a child - so, that's all about the memories.
My doll room is literally a little corner of my life, and as real life goes on, I enjoy keeping my playscale-eyes opened and experiencing that secret delight when that perfect little something shows up unexpectedly, and better yet, for less than expected!
Photos of julie's doll room inventory (10)
- Miniature Offices and Craft Rooms 735 photos, 92 members
- Ornaments, Magnets, & Keychains in Doll Dioramas 130 photos, 29 members
- How to Make Your Own Doll Stand! 50 photos, 366 members
- DOLLS DOLLS DOLLS ... ALL WELCOME 311,867 photos, 3,837 members
- Barbie Basics Teresa Fanclub 659 photos, 74 members
- Raven Haired Fashion Dolls! 11,043 photos, 318 members
- Beautiful Barbie Shots 23,553 photos, 773 members
- MBILI Barbie Head Mold Fan Club 1,664 photos, 140 members
- Barbie Goddess Mold Fan Club 2,314 photos, 204 members
- Mattel's Drew / Lara Face Mold 2,536 photos, 131 members
- Louboutin and Mermaid Face Barbie by Mattel 1,531 photos, 143 members
- Ooak fashion for fashion dolls 2,208 photos, 73 members
- Steffie Face 4,975 photos, 219 members
- Photos of doll collectors! 322 photos, 340 members
- Steffie Face Dolls by Mattel 1,902 photos, 398 members
- Barbie's Asian Friends 6,122 photos, 502 members
- Mini treasures 11,403 photos, 589 members
- Barbie's Beautiful Black Friends 14,481 photos, 595 members
- Souolful visions 1,541 photos, 149 members
- Clear-Lan 悠谷伶兰 5,851 photos, 560 members
- HJ Couture 374 photos, 172 members
- Fashion Doll Comparison: Doll Fashion vs. Human Fashion 497 photos, 443 members
- Fashion Doll Millinery! 2,057 photos, 171 members
- My Own Doll Fashion 2,180 photos, 96 members
- Doll Fashion Mania 12,572 photos, 149 members
- Fashion Doll! 79,356 photos, 1,157 members
- fashion dolls * style 37,701 photos, 970 members
- Barbie & Friends 62,910 photos, 749 members
- Barbie Ooaks and Reroots 18,595 photos, 892 members
- Dolls in Dresses 20,907 photos, 361 members
- Beautiful Black Dolls 28,164 photos, 970 members
- DoLLs eXtravaganZa 60,008 photos, 543 members
- Doll Fashionistas - HIGH FASHION ONLY! 97,093 photos, 1,863 members
- Top Model Barbie 11,163 photos, 430 members
- Model Muse Mania 6,586 photos, 205 members
- Barbie Basics 17,624 photos, 607 members
- Barbie Outdoors 8,931 photos, 421 members
- Barbie 130,958 photos, 3,724 members
- Handmade Barbie Clothes 6,856 photos, 320 members
- Handmade Doll Clothes Galore! 59,616 photos, 2,213 members
- Handmade dolls creations 20,309 photos, 640 members
- Barbie Collector 33,186 photos, 562 members
- Diorama Drama in 1:6 scale 15,431 photos, 928 members
- Diorama Dreamland 10,372 photos, 513 members
- Modern Miniatures 13,982 photos, 1,296 members
- Playscale Dollhouse 4,069 photos, 299 members
- Barbie's Little World 3,534 photos, 446 members
- Fashion Doll Dioramas 8,802 photos, 727 members
- Playscale Miniatures 14,635 photos, 731 members
julie's doll room inventory doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- May 2012