Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time finding new restaurants.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. Additionally, I have selected a license that allows personal/educational/NON PROFIT use of all my images without charge--but, please, let me know.
My photos have appeared in:
Hey Kids! Let's Visit New York City (2015)
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- SIGMA 17-70mm Contemporary F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM 7,970 photos, 278 members
- Food Porn 820,939 photos, 63,679 members
- Various characters 1,332 photos, 27 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 15,371 photos, 1,550 members
- Fukuoka 17,246 photos, 808 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 11,261 photos, 965 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 6,688 photos, 240 members
- Best of Minneapolis 9,584 photos, 579 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 358,663 photos, 10,205 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 254 photos, 192 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 58,266 photos, 1,790 members
- WE love JAPAN! 78,231 photos, 994 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 59,938 photos, 1,196 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,426 photos, 265 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 5,130 photos, 703 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 764 photos, 710 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 4,996 photos, 274 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 10,960 photos, 734 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 607 photos, 40 members
- Minneapolis at Night 5,343 photos, 554 members
- Twin Cities 103,532 photos, 3,206 members
- Japanese Lanterns 1,034 photos, 206 members
- Japan Architecture 8,564 photos, 774 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 50,052 photos, 1,943 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 8,834 photos, 208 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 679 photos, 99 members
- KANAGAWA 38,469 photos, 588 members
- Minnesota State Fair 5,079 photos, 458 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 805,866 photos, 9,684 members
- Japan at * Night * 11,688 photos, 430 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 62,258 photos, 1,687 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 23,749 photos, 2,270 members
- Famous Japan 111,430 photos, 2,052 members
- Buddhism 63,226 photos, 4,059 members
- Images of Kamakura 2,382 photos, 225 members
- Tokyo Images 271,502 photos, 7,811 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 62,456 photos, 5,903 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,427 photos, 201 members
- Shibuya 9,335 photos, 863 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 182,074 photos, 6,944 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 6,328 photos, 595 members
- SAKURA 7,471 photos, 378 members
- Shiga 滋賀 4,569 photos, 188 members
- Mall of America 751 photos, 94 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,924 photos, 1,025 members
- autumn colour of leaves 紅葉 50,404 photos, 3,345 members
- Japanese Landscape - 日本の風景写真 - 212,044 photos, 7,494 members
- Kyoto Osaka Kobe We love Japan 37,927 photos, 799 members
- フリッカー日本語ガイド / Flickr Nihongo Guide 276,817 photos, 4,904 members
- Japan photos 411,453 photos, 6,227 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
evanescent start says:
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- Minneapolis, MN, United States
- I am:
- jpellgen [at] gmail.com