Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time finding new restaurants.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Hey Kids! Let's Visit New York City (2015)
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- SIGMA 17-70mm Contemporary F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM 5,070 photos, 209 members
- Food Porn 797,648 photos, 63,478 members
- Various characters 1,356 photos, 26 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 15,028 photos, 1,500 members
- Fukuoka 16,621 photos, 765 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 8,927 photos, 862 members
- Favorites: 100 73,145 photos, 5,977 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 5,004 photos, 219 members
- Favorites: 50 82,268 photos, 7,277 members
- Best of Minneapolis 9,150 photos, 547 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 311,301 photos, 9,167 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 257 photos, 193 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 53,339 photos, 1,688 members
- WE love JAPAN! 68,817 photos, 953 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 54,527 photos, 1,150 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 87,060 photos, 5,770 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,268 photos, 252 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 5,041 photos, 706 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 766 photos, 717 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 5,397 photos, 264 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 10,286 photos, 724 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 609 photos, 40 members
- Minneapolis at Night 5,026 photos, 539 members
- Twin Cities 103,374 photos, 3,208 members
- Japanese Lanterns 1,000 photos, 205 members
- Japan Architecture 7,570 photos, 724 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 40,152 photos, 1,711 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 7,929 photos, 195 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 653 photos, 95 members
- KANAGAWA 36,651 photos, 564 members
- Minnesota State Fair 5,220 photos, 459 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 634,981 photos, 8,521 members
- Japan at * Night * 9,611 photos, 382 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 49,140 photos, 1,480 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 22,432 photos, 2,180 members
- Famous Japan 94,402 photos, 1,901 members
- Views: 2000 108,296 photos, 10,720 members
- Buddhism 57,252 photos, 3,952 members
- Images of Kamakura 2,098 photos, 210 members
- Tokyo Images 251,748 photos, 7,409 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 57,233 photos, 5,681 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,409 photos, 199 members
- Shibuya 8,856 photos, 835 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 161,721 photos, 6,642 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 6,006 photos, 578 members
- SAKURA 6,240 photos, 338 members
- Shiga 滋賀 3,693 photos, 169 members
- Mall of America 737 photos, 92 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,779 photos, 1,030 members
- autumn colour of leaves 紅葉 45,573 photos, 3,240 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- Minneapolis, MN, United States
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter
- jpellgen [at] gmail.com