Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring this fascinating country as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time on the internet.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
CCA convention invitations (February 2010)
Studio Classroom #12 (December 2009)
LWF Bible Studies #6 (2009)
University of Minnesota Dept. of Landscape & Architecture promotional posters (2009)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- Tamron 18-200mm 28,758 photos, 1,205 members
- Food Porn 746,944 photos, 58,953 members
- Various characters 1,156 photos, 22 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,403 photos, 1,418 members
- Fukuoka 14,037 photos, 703 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 7,566 photos, 682 members
- Favorites: 100 27,763 photos, 4,073 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 4,224 photos, 182 members
- Favorites: 50 39,540 photos, 5,355 members
- Best of Minneapolis 8,046 photos, 495 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 252,225 photos, 7,628 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 247 photos, 189 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 45,990 photos, 1,439 members
- WE love JAPAN! 54,745 photos, 837 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 47,199 photos, 1,073 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 71,093 photos, 4,803 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,137 photos, 235 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 4,770 photos, 693 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 766 photos, 727 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 5,093 photos, 243 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 9,678 photos, 687 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 596 photos, 35 members
- Minneapolis at Night 4,379 photos, 499 members
- Twin Cities 99,327 photos, 3,150 members
- Japanese Lanterns 845 photos, 181 members
- Japan Architecture 6,720 photos, 644 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 27,633 photos, 1,327 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 6,885 photos, 173 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 643 photos, 94 members
- KANAGAWA 30,189 photos, 499 members
- Minnesota State Fair 4,992 photos, 445 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 423,988 photos, 6,409 members
- Japan at * Night * 6,824 photos, 300 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 31,941 photos, 1,131 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 20,121 photos, 2,024 members
- Famous Japan 67,958 photos, 1,616 members
- Views: 2000 38,816 photos, 8,224 members
- Buddhism 50,543 photos, 3,754 members
- Images of Kamakura 1,745 photos, 183 members
- Tokyo Images 222,709 photos, 6,664 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 52,160 photos, 5,399 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,374 photos, 196 members
- Shibuya 8,315 photos, 786 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 134,396 photos, 6,102 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 5,452 photos, 550 members
- SAKURA 5,116 photos, 278 members
- Shiga 滋賀 3,247 photos, 152 members
- Japan-o-philia 216,113 photos, 6,169 members
- Mall of America 696 photos, 87 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,521 photos, 1,007 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Jonathan-san is one my favorite photographer here on flickr.he become so nice friend. I so happy see his love of japan,as he reach the heart of my country.He is great person and one the nicest people i ever know.I can recomend his photo to everyone as is like a book of art,philosphy and great thought in every image.
January 24th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
"thank you! ^.~"
July 4th, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter