Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring this fascinating country as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time on the internet.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
CCA convention invitations (February 2010)
Studio Classroom #12 (December 2009)
LWF Bible Studies #6 (2009)
University of Minnesota Dept. of Landscape & Architecture promotional posters (2009)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- Tamron 18-200mm 27,186 photos, 1,112 members
- Food Porn 727,289 photos, 56,239 members
- Various characters 1,042 photos, 21 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,164 photos, 1,388 members
- Fukuoka 13,229 photos, 675 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 6,864 photos, 617 members
- Favorites: 100 19,063 photos, 3,573 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 4,041 photos, 167 members
- Favorites: 50 29,853 photos, 4,845 members
- Best of Minneapolis 7,537 photos, 467 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 234,055 photos, 6,994 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 248 photos, 188 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 43,723 photos, 1,364 members
- WE love JAPAN! 50,668 photos, 779 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 44,045 photos, 1,038 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 66,442 photos, 4,460 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,091 photos, 224 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 4,672 photos, 681 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 768 photos, 728 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 4,854 photos, 232 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 9,489 photos, 673 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 596 photos, 35 members
- Minneapolis at Night 4,180 photos, 476 members
- Twin Cities 97,852 photos, 3,106 members
- Japanese Lanterns 805 photos, 179 members
- Japan Architecture 6,426 photos, 605 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 24,712 photos, 1,201 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 6,333 photos, 163 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 643 photos, 92 members
- KANAGAWA 28,417 photos, 479 members
- Minnesota State Fair 4,941 photos, 441 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 368,891 photos, 5,774 members
- Japan at * Night * 6,254 photos, 269 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 27,805 photos, 1,038 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 19,455 photos, 1,961 members
- Famous Japan 61,324 photos, 1,494 members
- Views: 2000 28,109 photos, 7,527 members
- Buddhism 49,363 photos, 3,670 members
- Images of Kamakura 1,680 photos, 179 members
- Tokyo Images 213,894 photos, 6,412 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 48,610 photos, 5,209 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,399 photos, 191 members
- Shibuya 8,113 photos, 769 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 126,622 photos, 5,881 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 5,339 photos, 535 members
- SAKURA 4,539 photos, 257 members
- Shiga 滋賀 2,994 photos, 140 members
- Japan-o-philia 208,340 photos, 6,044 members
- Mall of America 699 photos, 86 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,443 photos, 1,004 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Jonathan-san is one my favorite photographer here on flickr.he become so nice friend. I so happy see his love of japan,as he reach the heart of my country.He is great person and one the nicest people i ever know.I can recomend his photo to everyone as is like a book of art,philosphy and great thought in every image.
January 24th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
"thank you! ^.~"
July 4th, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter