Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time finding new restaurants.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Hey Kids! Let's Visit New York City (2015)
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- SIGMA 17-70mm Contemporary F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM 4,234 photos, 179 members
- Food Porn 788,497 photos, 63,019 members
- Various characters 1,340 photos, 24 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,819 photos, 1,487 members
- Fukuoka 16,054 photos, 764 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 9,313 photos, 812 members
- Favorites: 100 61,736 photos, 5,579 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 4,842 photos, 214 members
- Favorites: 50 75,944 photos, 6,910 members
- Best of Minneapolis 8,939 photos, 538 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 297,633 photos, 8,860 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 257 photos, 195 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 52,126 photos, 1,630 members
- WE love JAPAN! 66,336 photos, 928 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 53,283 photos, 1,137 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 83,224 photos, 5,565 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,226 photos, 249 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 5,025 photos, 706 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 766 photos, 721 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 5,317 photos, 260 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 10,113 photos, 718 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 610 photos, 39 members
- Minneapolis at Night 4,901 photos, 533 members
- Twin Cities 102,569 photos, 3,196 members
- Japanese Lanterns 942 photos, 201 members
- Japan Architecture 7,365 photos, 705 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 36,820 photos, 1,619 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 7,771 photos, 191 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 651 photos, 95 members
- KANAGAWA 35,417 photos, 549 members
- Minnesota State Fair 5,246 photos, 457 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 591,907 photos, 7,993 members
- Japan at * Night * 8,939 photos, 372 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 45,247 photos, 1,404 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 21,820 photos, 2,153 members
- Famous Japan 88,606 photos, 1,847 members
- Views: 2000 91,690 photos, 10,214 members
- Buddhism 56,304 photos, 3,897 members
- Images of Kamakura 2,021 photos, 205 members
- Tokyo Images 246,467 photos, 7,247 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 56,800 photos, 5,678 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,401 photos, 198 members
- Shibuya 8,794 photos, 824 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 156,097 photos, 6,549 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 5,719 photos, 567 members
- SAKURA 6,179 photos, 334 members
- Shiga 滋賀 3,933 photos, 163 members
- Mall of America 736 photos, 92 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,746 photos, 1,028 members
- autumn colour of leaves 紅葉 42,121 photos, 3,120 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- Minneapolis, MN, United States
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter
- jpellgen [at] gmail.com