Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring this fascinating country as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time on the internet.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
CCA convention invitations (February 2010)
Studio Classroom #12 (December 2009)
LWF Bible Studies #6 (2009)
University of Minnesota Dept. of Landscape & Architecture promotional posters (2009)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- SIGMA 17-70mm Contemporary F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM 1,828 photos, 124 members
- Tamron 18-200mm 27,303 photos, 1,242 members
- Food Porn 756,614 photos, 60,111 members
- Various characters 1,208 photos, 22 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,556 photos, 1,433 members
- Fukuoka 14,500 photos, 716 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 8,048 photos, 704 members
- Favorites: 100 33,225 photos, 4,418 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 4,370 photos, 189 members
- Favorites: 50 46,316 photos, 5,696 members
- Best of Minneapolis 8,267 photos, 501 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 261,681 photos, 7,908 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 247 photos, 189 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 47,497 photos, 1,481 members
- WE love JAPAN! 57,346 photos, 862 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 48,711 photos, 1,094 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 74,010 photos, 4,953 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,171 photos, 238 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 4,824 photos, 697 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 766 photos, 727 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 5,151 photos, 246 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 9,747 photos, 693 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 596 photos, 36 members
- Minneapolis at Night 4,511 photos, 508 members
- Twin Cities 100,371 photos, 3,159 members
- Japanese Lanterns 872 photos, 186 members
- Japan Architecture 6,863 photos, 650 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 29,743 photos, 1,399 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 7,048 photos, 176 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 643 photos, 94 members
- KANAGAWA 31,169 photos, 508 members
- Minnesota State Fair 5,039 photos, 449 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 457,266 photos, 6,729 members
- Japan at * Night * 7,232 photos, 311 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 34,445 photos, 1,181 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 20,532 photos, 2,052 members
- Famous Japan 71,971 photos, 1,671 members
- Views: 2000 49,381 photos, 8,703 members
- Buddhism 51,743 photos, 3,783 members
- Images of Kamakura 1,813 photos, 189 members
- Tokyo Images 228,234 photos, 6,815 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 52,292 photos, 5,406 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,375 photos, 197 members
- Shibuya 8,396 photos, 796 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 138,802 photos, 6,235 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 5,477 photos, 556 members
- SAKURA 5,112 photos, 280 members
- Shiga 滋賀 3,400 photos, 152 members
- Japan-o-philia 220,528 photos, 6,228 members
- Mall of America 713 photos, 88 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Jonathan-san is one my favorite photographer here on flickr.he become so nice friend. I so happy see his love of japan,as he reach the heart of my country.He is great person and one the nicest people i ever know.I can recomend his photo to everyone as is like a book of art,philosphy and great thought in every image.
January 24th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
"thank you! ^.~"
July 4th, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter