Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time finding new restaurants.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Hey Kids! Let's Visit New York City (2015)
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- SIGMA 17-70mm Contemporary F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM 4,081 photos, 172 members
- Food Porn 786,731 photos, 62,880 members
- Various characters 1,331 photos, 24 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,754 photos, 1,480 members
- Fukuoka 15,881 photos, 762 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 9,293 photos, 811 members
- Favorites: 100 58,789 photos, 5,481 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 4,823 photos, 210 members
- Favorites: 50 74,779 photos, 6,822 members
- Best of Minneapolis 8,882 photos, 536 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 294,591 photos, 8,790 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 257 photos, 196 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 51,784 photos, 1,620 members
- WE love JAPAN! 65,740 photos, 924 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 52,816 photos, 1,129 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 82,319 photos, 5,531 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,222 photos, 249 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 4,984 photos, 706 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 766 photos, 722 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 5,317 photos, 259 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 10,095 photos, 717 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 610 photos, 39 members
- Minneapolis at Night 4,886 photos, 531 members
- Twin Cities 102,453 photos, 3,197 members
- Japanese Lanterns 939 photos, 200 members
- Japan Architecture 7,287 photos, 700 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 36,134 photos, 1,599 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 7,567 photos, 190 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 650 photos, 95 members
- KANAGAWA 35,204 photos, 549 members
- Minnesota State Fair 5,224 photos, 458 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 580,729 photos, 7,858 members
- Japan at * Night * 8,791 photos, 369 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 44,463 photos, 1,379 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 21,715 photos, 2,145 members
- Famous Japan 87,432 photos, 1,840 members
- Views: 2000 87,868 photos, 10,124 members
- Buddhism 55,941 photos, 3,890 members
- Images of Kamakura 2,021 photos, 205 members
- Tokyo Images 245,053 photos, 7,209 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 56,741 photos, 5,678 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,407 photos, 198 members
- Shibuya 8,710 photos, 822 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 154,916 photos, 6,520 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 5,715 photos, 567 members
- SAKURA 6,180 photos, 333 members
- Shiga 滋賀 3,883 photos, 162 members
- Mall of America 733 photos, 92 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,714 photos, 1,027 members
- autumn colour of leaves 紅葉 41,258 photos, 3,069 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- Minneapolis, MN, United States
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter
- jpellgen [at] gmail.com