Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time finding new restaurants.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Hey Kids! Let's Visit New York City (2015)
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- SIGMA 17-70mm Contemporary F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM 4,865 photos, 199 members
- Food Porn 794,803 photos, 63,325 members
- Various characters 1,349 photos, 25 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,962 photos, 1,499 members
- Fukuoka 16,374 photos, 765 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 8,675 photos, 847 members
- Favorites: 100 70,250 photos, 5,842 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 4,886 photos, 217 members
- Favorites: 50 79,706 photos, 7,163 members
- Best of Minneapolis 9,094 photos, 543 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 306,720 photos, 9,084 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 257 photos, 194 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 52,919 photos, 1,676 members
- WE love JAPAN! 67,990 photos, 949 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 54,203 photos, 1,148 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 86,102 photos, 5,705 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,243 photos, 250 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 5,061 photos, 707 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 766 photos, 717 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 5,398 photos, 265 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 10,213 photos, 721 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 610 photos, 40 members
- Minneapolis at Night 4,991 photos, 536 members
- Twin Cities 103,023 photos, 3,205 members
- Japanese Lanterns 997 photos, 202 members
- Japan Architecture 7,536 photos, 720 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 39,248 photos, 1,690 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 7,888 photos, 193 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 652 photos, 95 members
- KANAGAWA 36,158 photos, 561 members
- Minnesota State Fair 5,221 photos, 459 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 618,454 photos, 8,368 members
- Japan at * Night * 9,448 photos, 379 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 48,193 photos, 1,467 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 22,281 photos, 2,172 members
- Famous Japan 92,123 photos, 1,888 members
- Views: 2000 102,612 photos, 10,581 members
- Buddhism 56,947 photos, 3,934 members
- Images of Kamakura 2,087 photos, 209 members
- Tokyo Images 250,316 photos, 7,370 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 56,981 photos, 5,678 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,410 photos, 198 members
- Shibuya 8,888 photos, 831 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 159,835 photos, 6,600 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 6,011 photos, 575 members
- SAKURA 6,209 photos, 336 members
- Shiga 滋賀 3,633 photos, 166 members
- Mall of America 736 photos, 92 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,777 photos, 1,031 members
- autumn colour of leaves 紅葉 45,350 photos, 3,224 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- Minneapolis, MN, United States
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter
- jpellgen [at] gmail.com