Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time finding new restaurants.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Hey Kids! Let's Visit New York City (2015)
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- SIGMA 17-70mm Contemporary F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM 4,608 photos, 190 members
- Food Porn 791,965 photos, 63,194 members
- Various characters 1,343 photos, 24 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,899 photos, 1,491 members
- Fukuoka 16,231 photos, 766 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 8,410 photos, 826 members
- Favorites: 100 66,039 photos, 5,714 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 4,878 photos, 216 members
- Favorites: 50 77,692 photos, 7,020 members
- Best of Minneapolis 9,025 photos, 538 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 302,875 photos, 8,967 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 257 photos, 195 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 52,667 photos, 1,655 members
- WE love JAPAN! 67,168 photos, 939 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 53,804 photos, 1,142 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 84,694 photos, 5,631 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,237 photos, 249 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 5,048 photos, 707 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 766 photos, 721 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 5,308 photos, 266 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 10,167 photos, 719 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 610 photos, 39 members
- Minneapolis at Night 4,964 photos, 534 members
- Twin Cities 102,704 photos, 3,198 members
- Japanese Lanterns 953 photos, 202 members
- Japan Architecture 7,441 photos, 713 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 38,045 photos, 1,655 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 7,827 photos, 192 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 654 photos, 95 members
- KANAGAWA 35,825 photos, 555 members
- Minnesota State Fair 5,224 photos, 457 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 600,799 photos, 8,188 members
- Japan at * Night * 9,168 photos, 377 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 47,078 photos, 1,443 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 22,055 photos, 2,163 members
- Famous Japan 90,298 photos, 1,869 members
- Views: 2000 96,071 photos, 10,346 members
- Buddhism 56,598 photos, 3,917 members
- Images of Kamakura 2,060 photos, 206 members
- Tokyo Images 248,516 photos, 7,309 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 56,913 photos, 5,681 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,404 photos, 198 members
- Shibuya 8,862 photos, 828 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 157,952 photos, 6,579 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 5,970 photos, 572 members
- SAKURA 6,199 photos, 336 members
- Shiga 滋賀 3,560 photos, 165 members
- Mall of America 736 photos, 92 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,764 photos, 1,029 members
- autumn colour of leaves 紅葉 44,672 photos, 3,212 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- Minneapolis, MN, United States
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter
- jpellgen [at] gmail.com