Minnesotan with Norwegian heritage. A former resident of Kobe, Japan, who enjoys exploring as much as time & resources allow. I have a Master's Degree with a specialty in Japanese history--studying under Dr. Kenneth Lee (Cal-State Northridge). Im a published author/photographer, also working on a book based on my award-nominated graduate research dealing with cultural/religious practices during the Edo period. I currently work in the education field, and enjoy a variety of hobbies including travel, photography, dining, fitness, and spending way too much time finding new restaurants.
Yukio Mishima once said that it is impossible for the foreign mind to comprehend the true essence of Japan. However, I have done my best to treat each topic appropriately. I am not a professional photographer, but I hope that you will appreciate these shots for their historical significance. I endeavor to show all sides of Japan--the commonplace, as well as scenic beauty and ancient architecture. My personal travel images are mixed in... Please bear with me.
*I write my own captions.
*If you wish to negotiate a purchase price for use of a specific photo, please send me a Flickrmail with the specific image title or URL. I allow free personal or educational use of all my images--but, please, ask me first.
My photos have appeared in:
Hey Kids! Let's Visit New York City (2015)
Die japanischen Botschaften beim Vatikan 1585 (2012)
iiTomo I & II (2011)
Zoom Japan (10/2010)
Newsweek Polska (11/2010)
Zoo Journal #6 (2010)
It's a Beautiful World (2009)
Pharmacies of the World (2009)
En Route #1 (2009)
Nederlands Tijschift voor Geneeskunde #4 (2008)
Treasures of the Dragon (2007)
Mythologies of the World (TBA)
Hot & Cool Guides: Japanese Culture (TBA)
- SIGMA 17-70mm Contemporary F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM 3,876 photos, 169 members
- Food Porn 783,919 photos, 62,695 members
- Various characters 1,317 photos, 23 members
- Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye 14,755 photos, 1,478 members
- Fukuoka 15,640 photos, 757 members
- OSAKA-GA ┃ 大 阪 画 9,159 photos, 795 members
- Favorites: 100 55,638 photos, 5,380 members
- Nagano Japan 長野 4,707 photos, 208 members
- Favorites: 50 71,110 photos, 6,718 members
- Best of Minneapolis 8,770 photos, 534 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 291,317 photos, 8,722 members
- UFO CATCHER ™ 257 photos, 194 members
- JAPAN-IN-BW (Black-and-White) 51,452 photos, 1,607 members
- WE love JAPAN! 64,971 photos, 918 members
- Everything Minnesota! (Please join!) 52,316 photos, 1,130 members
- Nikon 18-55 mm 81,268 photos, 5,470 members
- Historic Minneapolis 1,201 photos, 249 members
- Japanese Snacks and Confectionery 4,989 photos, 706 members
- Minnesota Marvels (Roadside Attractions) 766 photos, 722 members
- Kokoro no shashin - Creative commons pictures of Japan 5,316 photos, 259 members
- The Beauty of St. Paul, MN 10,076 photos, 715 members
- Peanuts Gang Statues (Twin Cities) 609 photos, 38 members
- Minneapolis at Night 4,851 photos, 529 members
- Twin Cities 102,267 photos, 3,194 members
- Japanese Lanterns 929 photos, 199 members
- Japan Architecture 7,230 photos, 696 members
- JAPAN: Architecture and Garden 日本の建築と庭園 35,544 photos, 1,578 members
- Japanese Historical Sites 7,439 photos, 189 members
- The Green Machine: Yamanote Loop. 648 photos, 95 members
- KANAGAWA 34,858 photos, 547 members
- Minnesota State Fair 5,085 photos, 449 members
- Nikon Digital SLRs 566,542 photos, 7,734 members
- Japan at * Night * 8,615 photos, 360 members
- Japan's Four Seasons 四季［春夏秋冬］ 43,546 photos, 1,365 members
- Japanese & Chinese Gardens. 21,593 photos, 2,130 members
- Famous Japan 85,809 photos, 1,829 members
- Views: 2000 83,834 photos, 9,992 members
- Buddhism 55,716 photos, 3,885 members
- Images of Kamakura 2,016 photos, 204 members
- Tokyo Images 243,329 photos, 7,172 members
- Cherry blossoms 桜 56,751 photos, 5,678 members
- Japanese KitKat 1,407 photos, 199 members
- Shibuya 8,675 photos, 821 members
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites 153,313 photos, 6,491 members
- Japanese Signs / 日本語の標識 5,737 photos, 566 members
- SAKURA 6,172 photos, 331 members
- Shiga 滋賀 3,851 photos, 162 members
- Mall of America 723 photos, 92 members
- Japanese Snacks 5,734 photos, 1,025 members
- autumn colour of leaves 紅葉 41,106 photos, 3,071 members
"THANK YOU DEAR FRIEND.THE EYE CAPTURES A MOMENT IN TIME IN A WAY THAT YOU SEE IT,AND OH SO WELL YOU DO IT. YOUR EFFECTS ARE BEAUTIFUL. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN A LOVE OF MINE. THE ORIENT HAS ALWAYS FASCINATED ME AND RESPECT FOR THEIR WAYS. I REALLY ENJOY YOUR WORK AND LOVE THE PLACES YOU TAKE US."
November 25th, 2011
Jeana Marie Photography says:
"Jonathan has a unique way of not only bringing the world to your doorstep, he also takes the time to bring knowledge to your doorstep with nearly every single image he posts. For some that means nothing, but for many that means a lot. There are those who are not able to travel the world, whether near or far, and through Jonathan's images they are not only able to travel, they are able to learn about the different cultures of the world around us.
Seems to me that kind of teaching and sharing is in short supply amongst our peers these days and perhaps we all could learn a little something more from him.
When I think of Jonathan, I think of the old adage, 'Share and share alike.' He does it well."
December 27th, 2010
"Hey! Wanted to write you a testimonal, you've been such a good contact and your stream is always a surprise. You have real photos of real travels!! One day I hope to travel like that! Keep up the good photography!"
April 29th, 2010
"Thanks for adding me as a contact. A friend of Nobunaga is a friend of mine. :-)"
May 31st, 2009
"Hello Thks a lot to add me ; )"
February 15th, 2009
"yay! thanks for the contact add! :)"
February 2nd, 2009
"Hi there, thank you for adding me as a contact.
And also for being the first to comment on my pictures
since I made the account."
December 8th, 2008
"THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADD !
(and you are my first "contact-friend "now ^^)
vincent from French Guiana"
September 17th, 2008
"His photo catches Japanese fantastic landscape.
I think you are Japanese than me♪
and more,you are first person who gave comments I started since march, 2008.
I hope i can communicate you long time.
of course,your face is very good looking!!
July 3rd, 2008
"Hi I'm glad to see someone who likes my country taking nice pics and promoting the good sides :)
Thanks for the great works!"
November 27th, 2007
- October 2006
- Minneapolis, MN
- Minneapolis, MN, United States
- I am:
- Follow me on Twitter
- jpellgen [at] gmail.com