Just a guy with a camera....
For me photography's first about framing. I'm certainly aware of color, exposure, depth of field, and focus, and I definitely give them thought, but what I see, and try to capture, is objects and context.
I've been taking pictures for most of my life; there've been times when I've taken lots of pictures. And I've often owned very good equipment. Nonetheless, photography's my hobby, and I don't claim any special talent.
My LibraryThing profile's probably my best online bio. And I've an account on SmugMug, if you want to see my photography in a different context.
General technical notes: I often crop my photographs. All my other habits change over time; if you look you'll find I tend to adopt a processing practice for a year or two before migrating to something else. These days I'm processing photos mainly using DxO PhotoLab (nee Optics Pro) and Affinity Photo, but most of the pix in the stream were originally processed using either Bibble Pro (now called Corel AfterShot Pro) or Adobe's Photoshop Elements.
I occasionally experiment with these tools--those experiments may or may not get described in my captions. (Some, but not all, of this shows in the EXIF data, which is always worth looking at if you want to know how someone took a picture.)
Compare this photo with its original for a fairly typical treatment.
I'm slowly mastering an Olympus OM-D E-M1 II these days. I was a Nikon shooter for a couple decades, more from lens lock-in than a real preference; when a couple lenses failed last fall I bought a completely new outfit. Prior to that I was shooting a Nikon D500, which was an upgrade from the D300 I'd used for years. I've also taken many photographs with a Nikon 1 V2, which I still sometimes carry. (I usually have a Canon PowerShot G9 X II in my pocket, too.) There's a Minolta SR-T 101 in my closet, a Chinon Genesis III in my history, and I've worn out a slew of pocket cams over the decades.
The skinny black-line frames are a personal preference, but I picked the preference up from Bob Hundman's Mainline Modeler.
Were Flickr not so relentlessly white, I might not be adding them. [No longer relevant, methinks. joel 5/20/13]
I've also got my father's photo collection. I scan and post those from time to time, too.
Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.
I've a second Flickr account, which is reserved for baseball pix. There's some overlap with this site, but it's only a slight overlap.
Photos of joeldinda (6)
- Downtown in Towns of all Sizes 5,566 photos, 113 members
- Birdhouses and Birdfeeders 7,519 photos, 1,261 members
- Window Fetish 1,993 photos, 234 members
- Sony Cybershot Owners 119,986 photos, 3,932 members
- Classic Sky Photography 12,633 photos, 1,123 members
- Ruins Photography 15,079 photos, 786 members
- Dump You'r Junk 2,051 photos, 76 members
- The Fog and The Rain 60,148 photos, 5,281 members
- My garage 400 photos, 122 members
- US Memorials & Monuments 14,568 photos, 1,416 members
- tables 958 photos, 128 members
- Bees, bees, bees! 93,173 photos, 16,961 members
- park structures 2,265 photos, 130 members
- Still Life Photography 140,839 photos, 11,401 members
- Michigan Woods, Water and Nature 57,738 photos, 1,862 members
- Flat Caps 62 photos, 24 members
- Candles 26,813 photos, 10,208 members
- Life of a Kitchen 49,984 photos, 3,749 members
- Interior or Exterior New or Old House 1,705 photos, 277 members
- Black & White Digital 1,241,153 photos, 40,497 members
- Canon Powershot 161,680 photos, 3,166 members
- Small Towns 26,285 photos, 758 members
- parts of bicycles 4,755 photos, 294 members
- Winter -- the coolest season! 19,069 photos, 1,379 members
- ♥ People photography ♥ 20,634 photos, 474 members
- Simply Circles 8,056 photos, 784 members
- Bicycle Designs 1,873 photos, 314 members
- Gulls and Terns of the World 17,469 photos, 1,073 members
- It's Raining 16,990 photos, 3,335 members
- On the porch 177 photos, 99 members
- Leaves (Leaves only Please!!!) 142,900 photos, 18,706 members
- Lakes And Rivers Of The World 93,867 photos, 4,222 members
- Landscape Photos 554,497 photos, 13,313 members
- Reflect with Reflections 903 photos, 51 members
- Birds & More Birds 212,506 photos, 5,849 members
- Dams 4,150 photos, 727 members
- Railroad Depots 10,717 photos, 366 members
- Minnesota 81,725 photos, 2,130 members
- clouds 756,731 photos, 42,460 members
- WINTER : The most MISERABLE time of the year >=( 11,223 photos, 1,404 members
- Sunrise, Sunset: A Photo Project 2012 4,198 photos, 374 members
- Nikon D70 29,119 photos, 827 members
- Mackinac Island 2,795 photos, 238 members
- Lights and Shadows 1,108,968 photos, 36,373 members
- Flowers Without Limits! 531,876 photos, 18,381 members
- *Bud* 5,031 photos, 661 members
- Forever Autumn 25,691 photos, 1,704 members
- Everything & Everyone 64,997 photos, 419 members
- Lake Huron - "Lake Huron rolls..." 3,924 photos, 224 members
- Flowers Planet Photography 185,050 photos, 17,502 members
- Just Wow 29 14 photos
- Just Wow 28 20 photos
- Just Wow 27 20 photos
- Just Wow 26 20 photos
- Just Wow 25 20 photos
- Just Wow 24 20 photos
- Just Wow 23 20 photos
- Just Wow 22 20 photos
- Just Wow 21 20 photos
- Just Wow 20 20 photos
- Just Wow 19 20 photos
- Just Wow 18 20 photos
- Just Wow 17 20 photos
- Just Wow 16 20 photos
- Just Wow 15 20 photos
- Just Wow 14 20 photos
- Just Wow 13 20 photos
- Just Wow 12 20 photos
- Just Wow 11 20 photos
- Just Wow 10 20 photos
- Just Wow 9 20 photos
- Just Wow 8 20 photos
- Just Wow 7 20 photos
- Just Wow 6 20 photos
- Just Wow 5 20 photos
- Just Wow 4 20 photos
- Just Wow 3 20 photos
- Just Wow 2 20 photos
- Just Wow 1 20 photos
"I truly enjoy Joel's great photographs of Michigan and life across the Midwest. He has a great eye and his photos are a true treat."
July 16th, 2017
alert level says:
"Jowo's photos of the Upper Peninsula make me miss Michigan so much. Living down in Wichita, Ks and seeing these photos brings great memories of back home."
September 28th, 2006
"Jowo captures peices of history (mostly in Michigan) for generations to come. Whether posting current images or from his archives, I enjoy exploring every image."
January 2nd, 2006
- Joel Dinda
- April 2005
- Mulliken, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Gummint Bureaucrat (RET)
- a dabbler's journal