For me photography's first about framing. I'm certainly aware of color, exposure, depth of field, and focus, and I definitely give them thought, but what I see, and try to capture, is objects and context.
I've been taking pictures for most of my life; there've been times when I've taken lots of pictures. And I've often owned very good equipment. Nonetheless, photography's my hobby, and I don't claim any special talent.
My LibraryThing profile's probably my best online self-portrait.
General technical notes: I often crop my photographs. All my other habits change over time; if you look you'll find I tend to adopt a processing practice for a year or two before migrating to something else. These days I'm processing photos mainly using Optics Pro and Affinity Photo, but most of the pix in the stream were originally processed using either Bibble Pro (now called Corel AfterShot Pro) or Adobe's Photoshop Elements.
I occasionally experiment with these tools--those experiments may or may not get described in my captions. (Some, but not all, of this shows in the EXIF data, which is always worth looking at if you want to know how someone took a picture.)
Compare this photo with its original for a fairly typical treatment.
I'm slowly mastering a Nikon D500, these days; it's an upgrade from my D300. My main camera was a Nikon 1 V2 for a couple years and I expect it will be again since for most of my purposes it's sufficient. (I usually carry a Sony CyberShot, too.) I've been shooting Nikon for a couple decades, now, but that's lens lock-in more than a preference. There's a Minolta SR-T 101 in my closet, a Chinon Genesis III in my history, and I've worn out a slew of pocket cams over the decades.
The skinny black-line frames are a personal preference, but I picked the preference up from Bob Hundman's Mainline Modeler.
Were Flickr not so relentlessly white, I might not be adding them. [No longer relevant, methinks. joel 5/20/13]
I've also got my father's photo collection. I scan and post those from time to time, too.
Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.
I've a second Flickr account, which is reserved for baseball pix. There's some overlap with this site, but it's only a slight overlap.
Photos of joeldinda (6)
- micro 4/3 fisheye 455 photos, 35 members
- Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 1,564 photos, 247 members
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 11,685 photos, 578 members
- Panasonic LX15 / LX10 2,011 photos, 220 members
- Musicians 29,828 photos, 2,386 members
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 164,550 photos, 4,649 members
- Unpaved roads - Strade sterrate 1,771 photos, 141 members
- Nikon D500 User's Group 85,029 photos, 2,900 members
- Fog of Life 30,362 photos, 3,666 members
- iPhone 7, 6, 5s, 5c, 5, iPhone 4s and 4 Photos 150,465 photos, 6,872 members
- Gordy Camera Strap Owners Club 1,788 photos, 1,631 members
- Flowers Group 1,021,839 photos, 47,019 members
- Nikon1 53,385 photos, 1,501 members
- Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H55 7,304 photos, 218 members
- Railroads across the UP of Michigan 3,281 photos, 226 members
- Fujifilm FinePix F10 - F11 - F20 - F30 Forum 8,479 photos, 646 members
- Classic Lakers 4,658 photos, 151 members
- Galaxy Tab Photos 370 photos, 38 members
- Nikon D300 Users 583,578 photos, 17,490 members
- Lighthouses of North America 5,773 photos, 319 members
- Olympus Camedia X-2, C-50Z 433 photos, 24 members
- I collect light . 762,297 photos, 19,134 members
- Rural America 151,381 photos, 4,029 members
- FinePix 17,093 photos, 458 members
- 2018/365 Photos 236,921 photos, 1,694 members
- squareFormat 984,084 photos, 40,880 members
- Digital Classic Black and White 163,746 photos, 5,125 members
- Just Photos. 304,556 photos, 3,953 members
- Trees 386,147 photos, 22,974 members
- Lighthouses of the World 99,450 photos, 13,513 members
- Birds Photos 2,831,292 photos, 85,685 members
- All People 4,336,329 photos, 119,119 members
- Just me and my camera ! 575,741 photos, 5,181 members
- Motorola Droid 5,660 photos, 396 members
- Grass 18,251 photos, 2,631 members
- weathered wood 27,401 photos, 2,718 members
- Interesting walls 17,678 photos, 897 members
- TOUR OF DUTY 40,155 photos, 1,943 members
- Duluth Missabe and Iron Range 1,354 photos, 149 members
- Eaton County, Michigan 1,040 photos, 19 members
- Barry County Catches 972 photos, 17 members
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore 6,336 photos, 446 members
- Leelanau (dot com) 10,395 photos, 276 members
- Macalester 133 photos, 20 members
- Lakes Shipping 16,511 photos, 439 members
- Sault Ste Marie 7,401 photos, 226 members
- Lake Michigan 32,985 photos, 1,712 members
- Grand Ledge: City of Seven Islands 251 photos, 20 members
- Minolta SR - T 23,459 photos, 2,322 members
- Keweenaw, Copper Country, Portage 3,431 photos, 225 members
- Just Wow 27 19 photos
- Just Wow 26 20 photos
- Just Wow 25 19 photos
- Just Wow 24 20 photos
- Just Wow 23 20 photos
- Just Wow 22 20 photos
- Just Wow 21 20 photos
- Just Wow 20 20 photos
- Just Wow 19 20 photos
- Just Wow 18 20 photos
- Just Wow 17 20 photos
- Just Wow 16 20 photos
- Just Wow 15 20 photos
- Just Wow 14 20 photos
- Just Wow 13 20 photos
- Just Wow 12 20 photos
- Just Wow 11 20 photos
- Just Wow 10 20 photos
- Just Wow 9 20 photos
- Just Wow 8 20 photos
- Just Wow 7 20 photos
- Just Wow 6 20 photos
- Just Wow 5 20 photos
- Just Wow 4 20 photos
- Just Wow 3 20 photos
- Just Wow 2 20 photos
- Just Wow 1 20 photos
"I truly enjoy Joel's great photographs of Michigan and life across the Midwest. He has a great eye and his photos are a true treat."
July 16th, 2017
Army of Penguins says:
"Jowo's photos of the Upper Peninsula make me miss Michigan so much. Living down in Wichita, Ks and seeing these photos brings great memories of back home."
September 28th, 2006
"Jowo captures peices of history (mostly in Michigan) for generations to come. Whether posting current images or from his archives, I enjoy exploring every image."
January 2nd, 2006
- Joel Dinda
- April 2005
- Mulliken, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Gummint Bureaucrat (RET)
- a dabbler's journal