For me photography's first about framing. I'm certainly aware of color, exposure, depth of field, and focus, and I definitely give them thought, but what I see, and try to capture, is objects and context.
I've been taking pictures for most of my life; there've been times when I've taken lots of pictures. And I've often owned very good equipment. Nonetheless, photography's my hobby, and I don't claim any special talent.
My LibraryThing profile's probably my best online bio. And I've an account on SmugMug, if you want to see my photography in a different context.
General technical notes: I often crop my photographs. All my other habits change over time; if you look you'll find I tend to adopt a processing practice for a year or two before migrating to something else. These days I'm processing photos mainly using DxO PhotoLab (nee Optics Pro) and Affinity Photo, but most of the pix in the stream were originally processed using either Bibble Pro (now called Corel AfterShot Pro) or Adobe's Photoshop Elements.
I occasionally experiment with these tools--those experiments may or may not get described in my captions. (Some, but not all, of this shows in the EXIF data, which is always worth looking at if you want to know how someone took a picture.)
Compare this photo with its original for a fairly typical treatment.
I'm slowly mastering an Olympus OM-D E-M1 II these days. I was a Nikon shooter for a couple decades, more from lens lock-in than a real preference; when a couple lenses failed last fall I bought a completely new outfit. Prior to that I was shooting a Nikon D500, which was an upgrade from my D300. I've also taken many photographs with a Nikon 1 V2, which I still sometimes carry. (I usually carry a Panasonic Lumix LX-10, too.) There's a Minolta SR-T 101 in my closet, a Chinon Genesis III in my history, and I've worn out a slew of pocket cams over the decades.
The skinny black-line frames are a personal preference, but I picked the preference up from Bob Hundman's Mainline Modeler.
Were Flickr not so relentlessly white, I might not be adding them. [No longer relevant, methinks. joel 5/20/13]
I've also got my father's photo collection. I scan and post those from time to time, too.
Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.
I've a second Flickr account, which is reserved for baseball pix. There's some overlap with this site, but it's only a slight overlap.
Photos of joeldinda (6)
- Bluegrass 7,636 photos, 621 members
- Flower_Power 145,546 photos, 8,110 members
- Black & White Michigan 409 photos, 13 members
- micro 4/3 fisheye 471 photos, 37 members
- Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 1,623 photos, 255 members
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 17,766 photos, 645 members
- Panasonic LX15 / LX10 2,297 photos, 255 members
- Musicians 30,439 photos, 2,426 members
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 184,164 photos, 4,930 members
- Unpaved roads - Strade sterrate 1,966 photos, 149 members
- Nikon D500 User's Group 105,051 photos, 3,194 members
- Fog of Life 30,908 photos, 3,690 members
- iPhone 7, 6, 5s, 5c, 5, iPhone 4s and 4 Photos 156,600 photos, 6,910 members
- Gordy Camera Strap Owners Club 1,805 photos, 1,630 members
- Nikon1 54,780 photos, 1,501 members
- Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H55 7,309 photos, 218 members
- Railroads across the UP of Michigan 3,297 photos, 237 members
- Fujifilm FinePix F10 - F11 - F20 - F30 Forum 8,476 photos, 647 members
- Classic Lakers 4,885 photos, 157 members
- Galaxy Tab Photos 376 photos, 38 members
- Nikon D300 Users 583,802 photos, 17,425 members
- Lighthouses of North America 5,938 photos, 332 members
- Olympus Camedia X-2, C-50Z 435 photos, 24 members
- I collect light . 769,981 photos, 19,091 members
- Rural America 156,122 photos, 4,042 members
- FinePix 17,330 photos, 453 members
- 2018/365 Photos 242,753 photos, 1,702 members
- squareFormat 982,741 photos, 40,773 members
- Digital Classic Black and White 165,549 photos, 5,127 members
- Just Photos. 309,531 photos, 3,951 members
- Trees 383,261 photos, 22,968 members
- Lighthouses of the World 100,370 photos, 13,550 members
- Birds Photos 2,955,575 photos, 87,257 members
- All People 4,378,949 photos, 119,779 members
- Just me and my camera ! 584,836 photos, 5,148 members
- Motorola Droid 5,744 photos, 391 members
- Grass 18,919 photos, 2,660 members
- weathered wood 27,741 photos, 2,712 members
- Interesting walls 18,256 photos, 907 members
- TOUR OF DUTY 39,567 photos, 1,967 members
- Duluth Missabe and Iron Range 1,398 photos, 147 members
- Eaton County, Michigan 1,055 photos, 19 members
- Barry County Catches 961 photos, 17 members
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore 6,443 photos, 444 members
- Leelanau (dot com) 10,581 photos, 278 members
- Macalester 133 photos, 20 members
- Lakes Shipping 17,208 photos, 440 members
- Sault Ste Marie 7,389 photos, 226 members
- Lake Michigan 33,575 photos, 1,712 members
- Grand Ledge: City of Seven Islands 256 photos, 18 members
- Just Wow 27 20 photos
- Just Wow 26 20 photos
- Just Wow 25 20 photos
- Just Wow 24 20 photos
- Just Wow 23 20 photos
- Just Wow 22 20 photos
- Just Wow 21 20 photos
- Just Wow 20 20 photos
- Just Wow 19 20 photos
- Just Wow 18 17 photos
- Just Wow 17 20 photos
- Just Wow 16 20 photos
- Just Wow 15 20 photos
- Just Wow 14 19 photos
- Just Wow 13 19 photos
- Just Wow 12 19 photos
- Just Wow 11 18 photos
- Just Wow 10 18 photos
- Just Wow 9 19 photos
- Just Wow 8 18 photos
- Just Wow 7 18 photos
- Just Wow 6 20 photos
- Just Wow 5 20 photos
- Just Wow 4 20 photos
- Just Wow 3 20 photos
- Just Wow 2 20 photos
- Just Wow 1 20 photos
"I truly enjoy Joel's great photographs of Michigan and life across the Midwest. He has a great eye and his photos are a true treat."
July 16th, 2017
alert level says:
"Jowo's photos of the Upper Peninsula make me miss Michigan so much. Living down in Wichita, Ks and seeing these photos brings great memories of back home."
September 28th, 2006
"Jowo captures peices of history (mostly in Michigan) for generations to come. Whether posting current images or from his archives, I enjoy exploring every image."
January 2nd, 2006
- Joel Dinda
- April 2005
- Mulliken, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Gummint Bureaucrat (RET)
- a dabbler's journal