For me photography's first about framing. I'm certainly aware of color, exposure, depth of field, and focus, and I definitely give them thought, but what I see, and try to capture, is objects and context.
I've been taking pictures for most of my life; there've been times when I've taken lots of pictures. And I've often owned very good equipment. Nonetheless, photography's my hobby, and I don't claim any special talent.
My LibraryThing profile's probably my best online self-portrait.
General technical notes: I often crop my photographs. All my other habits change over time; if you look you'll find I tend to adopt a processing practice for a year or two before migrating to something else. These days I'm processing photos mainly using Optics Pro and Affinity Photo, but most of the pix in the stream were originally processed using either Bibble Pro (now called Corel AfterShot Pro) or Adobe's Photoshop Elements.
I occasionally experiment with these tools--those experiments may or may not get described in my captions. (Some, but not all, of this shows in the EXIF data, which is always worth looking at if you want to know how someone took a picture.)
Compare this photo with its original for a fairly typical treatment.
I'm slowly mastering a Nikon D500, these days; it's an upgrade from my D300. My main camera was a Nikon 1 V2 for a couple years and I expect it will be again since for most of my purposes it's sufficient. (I usually carry a Sony CyberShot, too.) I've been shooting Nikon for a couple decades, now, but that's lens lock-in more than a preference. There's a Minolta SR-T 101 in my closet, a Chinon Genesis III in my history, and I've worn out a slew of pocket cams over the decades.
The skinny black-line frames are a personal preference, but I picked the preference up from Bob Hundman's Mainline Modeler.
Were Flickr not so relentlessly white, I might not be adding them. [No longer relevant, methinks. joel 5/20/13]
I've also got my father's photo collection. I scan and post those from time to time, too.
Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.
I've a second Flickr account, which is reserved for baseball pix. There's some overlap with this site, but it's only a slight overlap.
Photos of joeldinda (6)
- Panasonic LX15 / LX10 1,607 photos, 155 members
- Musicians 28,801 photos, 2,333 members
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 140,653 photos, 4,203 members
- Unpaved roads - Strade sterrate 1,347 photos, 137 members
- Nikon D500 User's Group 64,206 photos, 2,492 members
- Fog of Life 29,033 photos, 3,555 members
- iPhone 7, 6, 5s, 5c, 5, iPhone 4s and 4 Photos 143,601 photos, 6,772 members
- Gordy Camera Strap Owners Club 1,761 photos, 1,633 members
- Flowers Group 993,519 photos, 46,048 members
- Nikon1 51,357 photos, 1,482 members
- Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H55 7,282 photos, 219 members
- Railroads across the UP of Michigan 3,237 photos, 210 members
- Fujifilm FinePix F10 - F11 - F20 - F30 Forum 8,470 photos, 647 members
- Classic Lakers 4,405 photos, 145 members
- Galaxy Tab Photos 234 photos, 36 members
- Nikon D300 Users 582,131 photos, 17,477 members
- Lighthouses of North America 5,348 photos, 304 members
- Olympus Camedia X-2, C-50Z 455 photos, 25 members
- I collect light . 748,182 photos, 19,019 members
- Rural America 146,179 photos, 3,961 members
- FinePix 16,969 photos, 457 members
- 2017/365 Photos 224,376 photos, 1,621 members
- squareFormat 980,603 photos, 40,766 members
- Digital Classic Black and White 157,703 photos, 5,110 members
- Just Photos. 302,423 photos, 3,968 members
- Trees 376,474 photos, 22,770 members
- Lighthouses of the World 96,641 photos, 13,382 members
- Birds Photos 2,716,091 photos, 83,381 members
- All People 4,385,679 photos, 117,764 members
- Just me and my camera ! 562,547 photos, 5,186 members
- Motorola Droid 5,585 photos, 397 members
- Grass 17,565 photos, 2,585 members
- weathered wood 26,971 photos, 2,704 members
- Interesting walls 16,807 photos, 883 members
- TOUR OF DUTY 38,213 photos, 1,898 members
- Duluth Missabe and Iron Range 1,418 photos, 142 members
- Eaton County, Michigan 1,031 photos, 19 members
- Barry County Catches 968 photos, 17 members
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore 6,169 photos, 442 members
- Leelanau (dot com) 9,980 photos, 273 members
- Macalester 133 photos, 19 members
- Lakes Shipping 15,941 photos, 428 members
- Sault Ste Marie 7,176 photos, 226 members
- Lake Michigan 32,318 photos, 1,699 members
- Grand Ledge: City of Seven Islands 237 photos, 20 members
- Minolta SR - T 23,061 photos, 2,267 members
- Keweenaw, Copper Country, Portage 3,392 photos, 225 members
- U.P. (3/day) 10,643 photos, 442 members
- Lake Superior--The Greatest Great Lake 6,433 photos, 356 members
- Locks and canals 11,075 photos, 576 members
"I truly enjoy Joel's great photographs of Michigan and life across the Midwest. He has a great eye and his photos are a true treat."
July 16th, 2017
Army of Penguins says:
"Jowo's photos of the Upper Peninsula make me miss Michigan so much. Living down in Wichita, Ks and seeing these photos brings great memories of back home."
September 28th, 2006
"Jowo captures peices of history (mostly in Michigan) for generations to come. Whether posting current images or from his archives, I enjoy exploring every image."
January 2nd, 2006
- Joel Dinda
- April 2005
- Mulliken, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Gummint Bureaucrat (RET)
- a dabbler's journal