For me photography's first about framing. I'm certainly aware of color, exposure, and focus, and I definitely give them thought, but what I see, and try to capture, is objects and context.
I've been taking pictures for most of my life; there've been times when I've taken lots of pictures. And I've often owned very good equipment. Nonetheless, photography's my hobby, and I don't claim any special talent.
My LibraryThing profile's probably my best online self-portrait.
General technical notes: I often crop my photographs. All my other habits change over time; if you look you'll find I tend to adopt a processing practice for a year or two before migrating to something else. These days I'm processing photos mainly using DxO's Optics Pro, but most of the pix in the stream were originally processed using either Bibble Pro (now called Corel AfterShot Pro) or Adobe's Photoshop Elements.
I occasionally experiment with these tools--those experiments may or may not get described in my captions. (Some, but not all, of this shows in the EXIF data, which is always worth looking at if you want to know how someone took a picture.)
Compare this photo with its original for a fairly typical treatment.
I'm slowly mastering a Nikon D500, these days; it's an upgrade from my D300. My main camera was a Nikon 1 V2 for a couple years and I expect it will be again since for most of my purposes it's sufficient. (I usually carry a Sony CyberShot, too.) I've been shooting Nikon for a couple decades, now, but that's lens lock-in more than a preference. There's a Minolta SR-T 101 in my closet, a Chinon Genesis III in my history, and I've worn out a slew of pocket cams over the decades.
The skinny black-line frames are a personal preference, but I picked the preference up from Bob Hundman's Mainline Modeler.
Were Flickr not so relentlessly white, I might not be adding them. [No longer relevant, methinks. joel 5/20/13]
I've also got my father's photo collection. I scan and post those from time to time, too.
Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.
I've a second Flickr account, which is reserved for baseball pix. There's some overlap with this site, but it's only a slight overlap.
Photos of joeldinda (6)
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 102,353 photos, 3,360 members
- Unpaved roads - Strade sterrate 871 photos, 107 members
- Nikon D500 User's Group 29,175 photos, 1,719 members
- Fog of Life 26,669 photos, 3,406 members
- iPhone 6, 5s, 5c, 5, iPhone 4s and 4 Photos 130,904 photos, 6,415 members
- Gordy Camera Strap Owners Club 1,726 photos, 1,616 members
- Flowers Group 886,465 photos, 42,856 members
- Nikon1 48,600 photos, 1,458 members
- Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H55 7,237 photos, 220 members
- Railroads across the UP of Michigan 3,133 photos, 182 members
- Fujifilm FinePix F10 - F11 - F20 - F30 Forum 8,416 photos, 647 members
- Classic Lakers 3,834 photos, 130 members
- Galaxy Tab Photos 212 photos, 35 members
- Nikon D300 Users 578,144 photos, 17,446 members
- Lighthouses of North America 4,680 photos, 274 members
- Olympus Camedia X-2, C-50Z 443 photos, 25 members
- I collect light . 697,880 photos, 18,628 members
- Rural America 141,973 photos, 3,839 members
- FinePix 16,365 photos, 451 members
- 2017/365 Photos 207,696 photos, 1,588 members
- squareFormat 993,708 photos, 40,575 members
- Digital Classic Black and White 145,328 photos, 4,956 members
- Just Photos. 255,427 photos, 3,621 members
- Trees 362,327 photos, 22,461 members
- Lighthouses of the World 91,442 photos, 13,082 members
- Birds Photos 2,476,246 photos, 79,415 members
- All People 4,182,892 photos, 114,480 members
- Just me and my camera ! 498,502 photos, 4,893 members
- Motorola Droid 5,582 photos, 398 members
- Grass 16,062 photos, 2,498 members
- weathered wood 26,089 photos, 2,680 members
- Interesting walls 15,154 photos, 849 members
- TOUR OF DUTY 36,876 photos, 1,818 members
- Duluth Missabe and Iron Range 1,384 photos, 134 members
- Eaton County, Michigan 1,009 photos, 19 members
- Barry County Catches 956 photos, 17 members
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore 5,989 photos, 435 members
- Leelanau (dot com) 9,459 photos, 267 members
- Macalester 131 photos, 19 members
- Lakes Shipping 14,678 photos, 417 members
- Sault Ste Marie 6,882 photos, 221 members
- Lake Michigan 31,136 photos, 1,665 members
- Grand Ledge: City of Seven Islands 220 photos, 20 members
- Minolta SR - T 21,903 photos, 2,195 members
- Keweenaw, Copper Country, Portage 3,320 photos, 222 members
- U.P. (3/day) 9,822 photos, 441 members
- Lake Superior--The Greatest Great Lake 6,080 photos, 343 members
- Locks and canals 10,196 photos, 544 members
- Countryside 85,200 photos, 3,303 members
- Walking In Nature 212,172 photos, 7,557 members
Army of Penguins says:
"Jowo's photos of the Upper Peninsula make me miss Michigan so much. Living down in Wichita, Ks and seeing these photos brings great memories of back home."
September 28th, 2006
"Jowo captures peices of history (mostly in Michigan) for generations to come. Whether posting current images or from his archives, I enjoy exploring every image."
January 2nd, 2006
- Joel Dinda
- April 2005
- Mulliken, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Gummint Bureaucrat (RET)
- a dabbler's journal