Just a guy with a camera....
For me photography's first about framing. I'm certainly aware of color, exposure, depth of field, and focus, and I definitely give them thought, but what I see, and try to capture, is objects and context.
I've been taking pictures for most of my life; there've been times when I've taken lots of pictures. And I've often owned very good equipment. Nonetheless, photography's my hobby, and I don't claim any special talent.
My LibraryThing profile's probably my best online bio. And I've an account on SmugMug, if you want to see my photography in a different context.
General technical notes: I often crop my photographs. All my other habits change over time; if you look you'll find I tend to adopt a processing practice for a year or two before migrating to something else. These days I'm processing photos mainly using DxO PhotoLab (nee Optics Pro) and Affinity Photo, but most of the pix in the stream were originally processed using either Bibble Pro (now called Corel AfterShot Pro) or Adobe's Photoshop Elements.
I occasionally experiment with these tools--those experiments may or may not get described in my captions. (Some, but not all, of this shows in the EXIF data, which is always worth looking at if you want to know how someone took a picture.)
Compare this photo with its original for a fairly typical treatment.
I'm slowly mastering an Olympus OM-D E-M1 II these days. I was a Nikon shooter for a couple decades, more from lens lock-in than a real preference; when a couple lenses failed last fall I bought a completely new outfit. Prior to that I was shooting a Nikon D500, which was an upgrade from the D300 I'd used for years. I've also taken many photographs with a Nikon 1 V2, which I still sometimes carry. (I usually have a Canon PowerShot G9 X II in my pocket, too.) There's a Minolta SR-T 101 in my closet, a Chinon Genesis III in my history, and I've worn out a slew of pocket cams over the decades.
The skinny black-line frames are a personal preference, but I picked the preference up from Bob Hundman's Mainline Modeler.
Were Flickr not so relentlessly white, I might not be adding them. [No longer relevant, methinks. joel 5/20/13]
I've also got my father's photo collection. I scan and post those from time to time, too.
Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.
I've a second Flickr account, which is reserved for baseball pix. There's some overlap with this site, but it's only a slight overlap.
Photos of joeldinda (6)
- Mackinac Island 2,779 photos, 238 members
- Lights and Shadows 1,111,634 photos, 36,277 members
- Flowers Without Limits! 531,283 photos, 18,160 members
- *Bud* 4,997 photos, 658 members
- Forever Autumn 24,583 photos, 1,616 members
- Everything & Everyone 62,763 photos, 423 members
- Lake Huron - "Lake Huron rolls..." 3,315 photos, 226 members
- Canon PowerShot G5 X and G9 X 2,023 photos, 79 members
- Flowers Planet Photography 183,181 photos, 17,377 members
- 1" Sensors 107,433 photos, 1,270 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 315,426 photos, 46,057 members
- People of the World 862,872 photos, 23,773 members
- Bluegrass 8,117 photos, 625 members
- Black & White Michigan 548 photos, 13 members
- micro 4/3 fisheye 487 photos, 37 members
- Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 1,642 photos, 257 members
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II 22,642 photos, 723 members
- Panasonic LX15 / LX10 2,674 photos, 285 members
- Musicians 31,096 photos, 2,453 members
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 203,037 photos, 5,192 members
- Unpaved roads - Strade sterrate 2,162 photos, 166 members
- Nikon D500 User's Group 122,506 photos, 3,407 members
- Fog of Life 31,654 photos, 3,761 members
- iPhone 7, 6, 5s, 5c, 5, iPhone 4s and 4 Photos 159,217 photos, 6,935 members
- Gordy Camera Strap Owners Club 1,797 photos, 1,621 members
- Nikon1 56,188 photos, 1,501 members
- Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H55 7,363 photos, 218 members
- Railroads across the UP of Michigan 3,356 photos, 243 members
- Fujifilm FinePix F10 - F11 - F20 - F30 Forum 8,485 photos, 647 members
- Classic Lakers 5,087 photos, 162 members
- Galaxy Tab Photos 384 photos, 39 members
- Nikon D300 Users 581,365 photos, 17,379 members
- Lighthouses of North America 6,423 photos, 343 members
- Olympus Camedia X-2, C-50Z 440 photos, 25 members
- I collect light . 777,039 photos, 19,128 members
- Rural America 158,586 photos, 4,065 members
- FinePix 17,408 photos, 450 members
- 2018/365 Photos 247,373 photos, 1,707 members
- squareFormat 983,423 photos, 40,815 members
- Digital Classic Black and White 167,577 photos, 5,144 members
- Just Photos. 314,397 photos, 3,970 members
- Trees 386,871 photos, 23,050 members
- Lighthouses of the World 102,427 photos, 13,655 members
- Birds Photos 3,039,817 photos, 88,644 members
- Just me and my camera ! 595,644 photos, 5,156 members
- Motorola Droid 5,823 photos, 390 members
- Grass 19,221 photos, 2,687 members
- weathered wood 27,909 photos, 2,719 members
- Interesting walls 18,650 photos, 916 members
- TOUR OF DUTY 41,678 photos, 1,994 members
- Just Wow 27 20 photos
- Just Wow 26 19 photos
- Just Wow 25 20 photos
- Just Wow 24 20 photos
- Just Wow 23 20 photos
- Just Wow 22 20 photos
- Just Wow 21 19 photos
- Just Wow 20 20 photos
- Just Wow 19 20 photos
- Just Wow 18 17 photos
- Just Wow 17 19 photos
- Just Wow 16 20 photos
- Just Wow 15 20 photos
- Just Wow 14 20 photos
- Just Wow 13 20 photos
- Just Wow 12 20 photos
- Just Wow 11 20 photos
- Just Wow 10 20 photos
- Just Wow 9 20 photos
- Just Wow 8 20 photos
- Just Wow 7 20 photos
- Just Wow 6 20 photos
- Just Wow 5 20 photos
- Just Wow 4 20 photos
- Just Wow 3 20 photos
- Just Wow 2 20 photos
- Just Wow 1 20 photos
"I truly enjoy Joel's great photographs of Michigan and life across the Midwest. He has a great eye and his photos are a true treat."
July 16th, 2017
alert level says:
"Jowo's photos of the Upper Peninsula make me miss Michigan so much. Living down in Wichita, Ks and seeing these photos brings great memories of back home."
September 28th, 2006
"Jowo captures peices of history (mostly in Michigan) for generations to come. Whether posting current images or from his archives, I enjoy exploring every image."
January 2nd, 2006
- Joel Dinda
- April 2005
- Mulliken, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Gummint Bureaucrat (RET)
- a dabbler's journal