For me photography's first about framing. I'm certainly aware of color, exposure, depth of field, and focus, and I definitely give them thought, but what I see, and try to capture, is objects and context.
I've been taking pictures for most of my life; there've been times when I've taken lots of pictures. And I've often owned very good equipment. Nonetheless, photography's my hobby, and I don't claim any special talent.
My LibraryThing profile's probably my best online self-portrait.
General technical notes: I often crop my photographs. All my other habits change over time; if you look you'll find I tend to adopt a processing practice for a year or two before migrating to something else. These days I'm processing photos mainly using Optics Pro and Affinity Photo, but most of the pix in the stream were originally processed using either Bibble Pro (now called Corel AfterShot Pro) or Adobe's Photoshop Elements.
I occasionally experiment with these tools--those experiments may or may not get described in my captions. (Some, but not all, of this shows in the EXIF data, which is always worth looking at if you want to know how someone took a picture.)
Compare this photo with its original for a fairly typical treatment.
I'm slowly mastering a Nikon D500, these days; it's an upgrade from my D300. My main camera was a Nikon 1 V2 for a couple years and I expect it will be again since for most of my purposes it's sufficient. (I usually carry a Sony CyberShot, too.) I've been shooting Nikon for a couple decades, now, but that's lens lock-in more than a preference. There's a Minolta SR-T 101 in my closet, a Chinon Genesis III in my history, and I've worn out a slew of pocket cams over the decades.
The skinny black-line frames are a personal preference, but I picked the preference up from Bob Hundman's Mainline Modeler.
Were Flickr not so relentlessly white, I might not be adding them. [No longer relevant, methinks. joel 5/20/13]
I've also got my father's photo collection. I scan and post those from time to time, too.
Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.
I've a second Flickr account, which is reserved for baseball pix. There's some overlap with this site, but it's only a slight overlap.
Photos of joeldinda (6)
- Musicians 27,535 photos, 2,282 members
- Sign of the Times (All Types of Signs) 120,205 photos, 3,761 members
- Unpaved roads - Strade sterrate 1,148 photos, 130 members
- Nikon D500 User's Group 43,855 photos, 2,084 members
- Fog of Life 27,666 photos, 3,453 members
- iPhone 7, 6, 5s, 5c, 5, iPhone 4s and 4 Photos 134,713 photos, 6,497 members
- Gordy Camera Strap Owners Club 1,750 photos, 1,635 members
- Flowers Group 952,607 photos, 44,611 members
- Nikon1 49,939 photos, 1,469 members
- Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H55 7,264 photos, 219 members
- Railroads across the UP of Michigan 3,172 photos, 192 members
- Fujifilm FinePix F10 - F11 - F20 - F30 Forum 8,453 photos, 647 members
- Classic Lakers 4,052 photos, 136 members
- Galaxy Tab Photos 219 photos, 36 members
- Nikon D300 Users 579,478 photos, 17,470 members
- Lighthouses of North America 4,918 photos, 284 members
- Olympus Camedia X-2, C-50Z 450 photos, 25 members
- I collect light . 720,707 photos, 18,827 members
- Rural America 145,443 photos, 3,889 members
- FinePix 16,626 photos, 454 members
- 2017/365 Photos 215,635 photos, 1,606 members
- squareFormat 1,000,622 photos, 40,710 members
- Digital Classic Black and White 151,464 photos, 5,037 members
- Just Photos. 275,374 photos, 3,774 members
- Trees 368,623 photos, 22,628 members
- Lighthouses of the World 93,170 photos, 13,215 members
- Birds Photos 2,599,540 photos, 81,490 members
- All People 4,269,132 photos, 116,001 members
- Just me and my camera ! 524,191 photos, 5,016 members
- Motorola Droid 5,617 photos, 398 members
- Grass 16,762 photos, 2,550 members
- weathered wood 26,486 photos, 2,694 members
- Interesting walls 15,927 photos, 860 members
- TOUR OF DUTY 37,427 photos, 1,858 members
- Duluth Missabe and Iron Range 1,388 photos, 135 members
- Eaton County, Michigan 1,018 photos, 19 members
- Barry County Catches 965 photos, 17 members
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore 6,062 photos, 439 members
- Leelanau (dot com) 9,678 photos, 271 members
- Macalester 132 photos, 19 members
- Lakes Shipping 15,186 photos, 423 members
- Sault Ste Marie 6,987 photos, 224 members
- Lake Michigan 31,535 photos, 1,681 members
- Grand Ledge: City of Seven Islands 230 photos, 20 members
- Minolta SR - T 22,424 photos, 2,236 members
- Keweenaw, Copper Country, Portage 3,362 photos, 224 members
- U.P. (3/day) 10,156 photos, 443 members
- Lake Superior--The Greatest Great Lake 6,246 photos, 349 members
- Locks and canals 10,643 photos, 561 members
- Countryside 89,842 photos, 3,388 members
Army of Penguins says:
"Jowo's photos of the Upper Peninsula make me miss Michigan so much. Living down in Wichita, Ks and seeing these photos brings great memories of back home."
September 28th, 2006
"Jowo captures peices of history (mostly in Michigan) for generations to come. Whether posting current images or from his archives, I enjoy exploring every image."
January 2nd, 2006
- Joel Dinda
- April 2005
- Mulliken, Michigan, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Gummint Bureaucrat (RET)
- a dabbler's journal