EMAIL: joni.karanka at googlemail.com
BLOG: And then came the shot
Groups I administer:
I don't remember the first time I took a camera, but it had to be a long, long time ago (I have to find a self portrait shot when I was six to prove this). As my mother says, the only thing that my brothers and I have in common, is that my father taught all of us how to take pictures. I am unable to draw or paint, so it's a lot easier and faster to shoot things. I enjoy myself reporting what I do or where I go, and what I see in the way.
Short bio (I think it's clarifying, as everybody asks):
- Born in Helsinki (Finland) in 1981.
- Moved to Fuengirola (Spain) in 1985 with my parents. My brother and my sister stayed in Finland.
- Started a degree in psychology in Malaga in 1999...
- ... and finished it in 2003.
- Moved to Cardiff (Wales) in autumn of 2003 to do a PhD in vision. I basicly study how people can catch or hit things that fly towards them.
Places I've been to:
create your personalized map of europe
Yes, being twice in St Petersburg is like cheating, I know.
- Liverpool 101,827 photos, 4,080 members
- Australian Street Photography 1,039 photos, 789 members
- 01 Magazine 1,001 photos, 2,585 members
- In Camera 82 photos, 269 members
- Street Reverb Magazine 62 photos, 591 members
- Square Magazine Online 16,879 photos, 621 members
- Third Floor Gallery Cardiff 547 photos, 98 members
- I-95.10 111 photos, 260 members
- The Editions FP&CF present: TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK #2 8 photos, 469 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,312 members
- MilanoStreet 131 photos, 401 members
- Street photography, hardcore 258,505 photos, 4,975 members
- Street Aesthetic: UnCensored 30 photos, 119 members
- Populated by Vegetation 882 photos, 539 members
- .film.forever. 773,599 photos, 13,161 members
- The DMU Lightbox: 818 photos, 260 members
- Wohnungsbilder aus Deutschland 59 photos, 23 members
- Disponible 57 photos, 55 members
- Figures in a Landscape 2,200 photos, 660 members
- Square in Grenoble 84 photos, 106 members
- rule of third beers 430 photos, 196 members
- I-95.09 65 photos, 199 members
- Tokyo Exhibitions 2,453 photos, 845 members
- Publish and be Damned! - TEARSHEETS 241 photos, 459 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 682 photos, 1,232 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 388 photos, 256 members
- FlickrCentral 9,288,096 photos, 277,921 members
- Mamiya 6 & 7 41,511 photos, 2,025 members
- Lunasa Photos 10 photos, 21 members
- Flickr members against free photos 1,961 photos, 193 members
- Handsome boy modeling skool. 2,104 photos, 273 members
- La Pura Vida presents 'Can't Pay the Rent' 23 photos, 69 members
- The F Blog 2,187 photos, 31 members
- Blood of the Young Zine 80,947 photos, 5,719 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 191 photos, 335 members
- Don't Smile, Keep Walking 210 photos, 102 members
- Stalker 4,774 photos, 827 members
- Holy Smoke 90 photos, 117 members
- Street Silver 149 photos, 187 members
- horses are evil lets steal their souls 6 photos, 7 members
- nofound - new photographers search! 13,022 photos, 5,264 members
- In ictu oculi 1,974 photos, 768 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 432,370 photos, 9,406 members
- la familia abrazada 2,513 photos, 1,479 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 156,121 photos, 5,984 members
- Tuples 12 photos, 4 members
- Klugscheiss 38 photos, 26 members
- Les Rencontres de la photographie, Arles 2,602 photos, 908 members
- Mare Nostrum Photographie de Calle 166 photos, 70 members
- Streetpulse 129 photos, 38 members
Marcin Babul says:
"Strange ambitious personality, a photographer with his own vision and style. Big up Doc...."
May 30th, 2009
Maciej Dakowicz says:
"Joni is... Joni. It is great to know him. and his photos are really good and different. a real individualist."
November 25th, 2008
"joni is my daily fix, my muse, my guide.
he loves penguins and nine inch nails, which isn't a bad combination after all."
May 31st, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"After seeing Joni' recent exploration with colour film, I'm wishing that this thought enters his mind whenever he leaves the house:
"Colour or black and white? Colour or black and white? Colour or black and white? Both!
He'll probably respond with a ....Pfff, but the truth is that he is equally smart with both. Joni is the real deal. Keep it up man!"
April 4th, 2008
March 28th, 2008
long-term cave says:
every morning wake up
take a shower and then go to your small personal shrine
sing "I´m a weirdo, I´m a weirdo" while hitting your chest for fifteen minutes.
I´m sure that after that you can go out and shoot people
December 26th, 2007
"Mr Karanka has an exceptional eye for a good image. I am always in awe of the prints he makes. He looks for the alternative and finds the beautiful. Now after suffering for his art (getting pounced on in Cardiff) he must almost be a true professional."
August 25th, 2007
"Joni is a major talent, he so reminds me of the great Robert Doisneau, in his depiction of Cardiff streetlife, with a warmth, humanity and often edgy humour. An insane gift for composition and framing capturing the poetry of everyday life in one stunning black and white after another.
His whole stream is a sheer delight."
August 9th, 2007
"This testimonial writing business is a load of crap. Except for the few occasions when you really have something to say about someone. Of course that doesn't mean you actually deserve any saying at all, but here goes my view of Joni.
If you go to the first page of his photostream you can see that this guy wasn't born like he is today. He even shot in colour with a digicam! But even though he's been shooting since forever, he's finally found his creative niche going back to basics. And you can see the process happening right before your eyes! I can only wish something like that would ever happen to me. Maybe it's just a matter of doing what he did and does: to take pictures, and pictures and more pictures. Quantity doesn't mean quality but practise really makes perfect: Joni is the living proof."
July 24th, 2007
"I hate to write testimonials, but Joni clearly deserves one. His B&W, grainy, superb film's scans can get you into the essence of Cardiff's night life in seconds. Being - apparently - not afraid to bother the subjects of his photos, Joni peers inside the shadows of human behavior without prejudice.
Oh, hey, you owe me a pint for this one ;-)"
July 23rd, 2007
"Joni captures street life, candids, and the mood wonderfully. I continue to return to this stream to see what new street life he has discovered! On top of everything else he shoots old school! FILM! His shots are warm and capture the mood so well! Keep going Mr. Karanka! And, keep posting!"
May 24th, 2007
- JT Karanka
- September 2005
- Cardiff, Wales
- I am:
- Scientist / Analist / Brain