EMAIL: joni.karanka at googlemail.com
BLOG: And then came the shot
Groups I administer:
I don't remember the first time I took a camera, but it had to be a long, long time ago (I have to find a self portrait shot when I was six to prove this). As my mother says, the only thing that my brothers and I have in common, is that my father taught all of us how to take pictures. I am unable to draw or paint, so it's a lot easier and faster to shoot things. I enjoy myself reporting what I do or where I go, and what I see in the way.
Short bio (I think it's clarifying, as everybody asks):
- Born in Helsinki (Finland) in 1981.
- Moved to Fuengirola (Spain) in 1985 with my parents. My brother and my sister stayed in Finland.
- Started a degree in psychology in Malaga in 1999...
- ... and finished it in 2003.
- Moved to Cardiff (Wales) in autumn of 2003 to do a PhD in vision. I basicly study how people can catch or hit things that fly towards them.
Places I've been to:
create your personalized map of europe
Yes, being twice in St Petersburg is like cheating, I know.
- Liverpool 85,001 photos, 3,687 members
- Australian Street Photography 987 photos, 684 members
- 01 Magazine 1,072 photos, 2,444 members
- In Camera 87 photos, 276 members
- Street Reverb Magazine 66 photos, 589 members
- Square Magazine Online 13,339 photos, 597 members
- Third Floor Gallery Cardiff 403 photos, 93 members
- I-95.10 112 photos, 270 members
- The Editions FP&CF present: TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK #2 8 photos, 490 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,362 members
- MilanoStreet 139 photos, 399 members
- Street photography, hardcore 124,528 photos, 3,184 members
- Street Aesthetic: UnCensored 13 photos, 77 members
- Populated by Vegetation 869 photos, 521 members
- .film.forever. 473,346 photos, 8,991 members
- The DMU Lightbox: 926 photos, 270 members
- Wohnungsbilder aus Deutschland 32 photos, 21 members
- Disponible 58 photos, 60 members
- Figures in a Landscape 2,133 photos, 595 members
- Square in Grenoble 81 photos, 108 members
- rule of third beers 416 photos, 187 members
- I-95.09 70 photos, 203 members
- Tokyo Exhibitions 2,181 photos, 848 members
- Publish and be Damned! - TEARSHEETS 266 photos, 475 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 712 photos, 1,193 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 299 photos, 249 members
- FlickrCentral 8,395,796 photos, 228,357 members
- Mamiya 6 & 7 33,088 photos, 1,694 members
- Lunasa Photos 10 photos, 21 members
- Flickr members against free photos 464 photos, 198 members
- Handsome boy modeling skool. 2,151 photos, 247 members
- La Pura Vida presents 'Can't Pay the Rent' 24 photos, 69 members
- The F Blog 1,820 photos, 33 members
- Blood of the Young Zine 44,769 photos, 5,058 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 215 photos, 349 members
- Don't Smile, Keep Walking 232 photos, 102 members
- Stalker 4,872 photos, 816 members
- Holy Smoke 100 photos, 119 members
- Street Silver 148 photos, 167 members
- horses are evil lets steal their souls 7 photos, 6 members
- nofound - new photographers search! 14,083 photos, 5,330 members
- In ictu oculi 1,303 photos, 561 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 303,759 photos, 8,300 members
- la familia abrazada 2,526 photos, 1,252 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 128,515 photos, 5,796 members
- Tuples 12 photos, 4 members
- Klugscheiss 41 photos, 24 members
- Rencontres d'Arles [official] 2,294 photos, 777 members
- Mare Nostrum Photographie de Calle 178 photos, 73 members
- Streetpulse 129 photos, 41 members
Oliwer Tłist says:
"Strange ambitious personality, a photographer with his own vision and style. Big up Doc...."
May 30th, 2009
Maciej Dakowicz says:
"Joni is... Joni. It is great to know him. and his photos are really good and different. a real individualist."
November 25th, 2008
"joni is my daily fix, my muse, my guide.
he loves penguins and nine inch nails, which isn't a bad combination after all."
May 31st, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"After seeing Joni' recent exploration with colour film, I'm wishing that this thought enters his mind whenever he leaves the house:
"Colour or black and white? Colour or black and white? Colour or black and white? Both!
He'll probably respond with a ....Pfff, but the truth is that he is equally smart with both. Joni is the real deal. Keep it up man!"
April 4th, 2008
March 28th, 2008
pH [浪人] says:
every morning wake up
take a shower and then go to your small personal shrine
sing "I´m a weirdo, I´m a weirdo" while hitting your chest for fifteen minutes.
I´m sure that after that you can go out and shoot people
December 26th, 2007
"Mr Karanka has an exceptional eye for a good image. I am always in awe of the prints he makes. He looks for the alternative and finds the beautiful. Now after suffering for his art (getting pounced on in Cardiff) he must almost be a true professional."
August 25th, 2007
"Joni is a major talent, he so reminds me of the great Robert Doisneau, in his depiction of Cardiff streetlife, with a warmth, humanity and often edgy humour. An insane gift for composition and framing capturing the poetry of everyday life in one stunning black and white after another.
His whole stream is a sheer delight."
August 9th, 2007
"This testimonial writing business is a load of crap. Except for the few occasions when you really have something to say about someone. Of course that doesn't mean you actually deserve any saying at all, but here goes my view of Joni.
If you go to the first page of his photostream you can see that this guy wasn't born like he is today. He even shot in colour with a digicam! But even though he's been shooting since forever, he's finally found his creative niche going back to basics. And you can see the process happening right before your eyes! I can only wish something like that would ever happen to me. Maybe it's just a matter of doing what he did and does: to take pictures, and pictures and more pictures. Quantity doesn't mean quality but practise really makes perfect: Joni is the living proof."
July 24th, 2007
"I hate to write testimonials, but Joni clearly deserves one. His B&W, grainy, superb film's scans can get you into the essence of Cardiff's night life in seconds. Being - apparently - not afraid to bother the subjects of his photos, Joni peers inside the shadows of human behavior without prejudice.
Oh, hey, you owe me a pint for this one ;-)"
July 23rd, 2007
"Joni captures street life, candids, and the mood wonderfully. I continue to return to this stream to see what new street life he has discovered! On top of everything else he shoots old school! FILM! His shots are warm and capture the mood so well! Keep going Mr. Karanka! And, keep posting!"
May 24th, 2007
- JT Karanka
- September 2005
- Cardiff, Wales
- I am:
- Scientist / Analist / Brain