EMAIL: joni.karanka at googlemail.com
BLOG: And then came the shot
Groups I administer:
I don't remember the first time I took a camera, but it had to be a long, long time ago (I have to find a self portrait shot when I was six to prove this). As my mother says, the only thing that my brothers and I have in common, is that my father taught all of us how to take pictures. I am unable to draw or paint, so it's a lot easier and faster to shoot things. I enjoy myself reporting what I do or where I go, and what I see in the way.
Short bio (I think it's clarifying, as everybody asks):
- Born in Helsinki (Finland) in 1981.
- Moved to Fuengirola (Spain) in 1985 with my parents. My brother and my sister stayed in Finland.
- Started a degree in psychology in Malaga in 1999...
- ... and finished it in 2003.
- Moved to Cardiff (Wales) in autumn of 2003 to do a PhD in vision. I basicly study how people can catch or hit things that fly towards them.
Places I've been to:
create your personalized map of europe
Yes, being twice in St Petersburg is like cheating, I know.
- Liverpool 95,153 photos, 3,915 members
- Australian Street Photography 962 photos, 735 members
- 01 Magazine 1,035 photos, 2,522 members
- In Camera 87 photos, 274 members
- Street Reverb Magazine 64 photos, 608 members
- Square Magazine Online 15,877 photos, 617 members
- Third Floor Gallery Cardiff 371 photos, 95 members
- I-95.10 112 photos, 266 members
- The Editions FP&CF present: TELL MUM EVERYTHING IS OK #2 8 photos, 481 members
- CHARITY PRINT AUCTIONS - PHILIPPINES 0 photos, 1,341 members
- MilanoStreet 136 photos, 404 members
- Street photography, hardcore 185,367 photos, 4,271 members
- Street Aesthetic: UnCensored 25 photos, 99 members
- Populated by Vegetation 878 photos, 538 members
- .film.forever. 635,460 photos, 11,147 members
- The DMU Lightbox: 840 photos, 267 members
- Wohnungsbilder aus Deutschland 32 photos, 22 members
- Disponible 58 photos, 59 members
- Figures in a Landscape 2,131 photos, 632 members
- Square in Grenoble 83 photos, 108 members
- rule of third beers 411 photos, 188 members
- I-95.09 69 photos, 201 members
- Tokyo Exhibitions 2,277 photos, 855 members
- Publish and be Damned! - TEARSHEETS 265 photos, 470 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 710 photos, 1,234 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 302 photos, 247 members
- FlickrCentral 9,434,172 photos, 255,304 members
- Mamiya 6 & 7 36,833 photos, 1,869 members
- Lunasa Photos 10 photos, 21 members
- Flickr members against free photos 509 photos, 196 members
- Handsome boy modeling skool. 2,099 photos, 257 members
- La Pura Vida presents 'Can't Pay the Rent' 24 photos, 68 members
- The F Blog 2,075 photos, 31 members
- Blood of the Young Zine 65,582 photos, 5,549 members
- 告別 映像 - Farewell Photography 202 photos, 349 members
- Don't Smile, Keep Walking 216 photos, 104 members
- Stalker 4,828 photos, 837 members
- Holy Smoke 96 photos, 120 members
- Street Silver 154 photos, 174 members
- horses are evil lets steal their souls 7 photos, 6 members
- nofound - new photographers search! 13,500 photos, 5,307 members
- In ictu oculi 1,578 photos, 658 members
- ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ 385,468 photos, 9,103 members
- la familia abrazada 2,561 photos, 1,364 members
- triangletriangle.com secret submission society 143,182 photos, 5,945 members
- Tuples 12 photos, 4 members
- Klugscheiss 40 photos, 25 members
- Les Rencontres de la photographie, Arles 2,446 photos, 858 members
- Mare Nostrum Photographie de Calle 175 photos, 72 members
- Streetpulse 133 photos, 40 members
Oliwer Tłist says:
"Strange ambitious personality, a photographer with his own vision and style. Big up Doc...."
May 30th, 2009
Maciej Dakowicz says:
"Joni is... Joni. It is great to know him. and his photos are really good and different. a real individualist."
November 25th, 2008
"joni is my daily fix, my muse, my guide.
he loves penguins and nine inch nails, which isn't a bad combination after all."
May 31st, 2008
John Goldsmith says:
"After seeing Joni' recent exploration with colour film, I'm wishing that this thought enters his mind whenever he leaves the house:
"Colour or black and white? Colour or black and white? Colour or black and white? Both!
He'll probably respond with a ....Pfff, but the truth is that he is equally smart with both. Joni is the real deal. Keep it up man!"
April 4th, 2008
March 28th, 2008
pH [浪人] says:
every morning wake up
take a shower and then go to your small personal shrine
sing "I´m a weirdo, I´m a weirdo" while hitting your chest for fifteen minutes.
I´m sure that after that you can go out and shoot people
December 26th, 2007
"Mr Karanka has an exceptional eye for a good image. I am always in awe of the prints he makes. He looks for the alternative and finds the beautiful. Now after suffering for his art (getting pounced on in Cardiff) he must almost be a true professional."
August 25th, 2007
"Joni is a major talent, he so reminds me of the great Robert Doisneau, in his depiction of Cardiff streetlife, with a warmth, humanity and often edgy humour. An insane gift for composition and framing capturing the poetry of everyday life in one stunning black and white after another.
His whole stream is a sheer delight."
August 9th, 2007
"This testimonial writing business is a load of crap. Except for the few occasions when you really have something to say about someone. Of course that doesn't mean you actually deserve any saying at all, but here goes my view of Joni.
If you go to the first page of his photostream you can see that this guy wasn't born like he is today. He even shot in colour with a digicam! But even though he's been shooting since forever, he's finally found his creative niche going back to basics. And you can see the process happening right before your eyes! I can only wish something like that would ever happen to me. Maybe it's just a matter of doing what he did and does: to take pictures, and pictures and more pictures. Quantity doesn't mean quality but practise really makes perfect: Joni is the living proof."
July 24th, 2007
"I hate to write testimonials, but Joni clearly deserves one. His B&W, grainy, superb film's scans can get you into the essence of Cardiff's night life in seconds. Being - apparently - not afraid to bother the subjects of his photos, Joni peers inside the shadows of human behavior without prejudice.
Oh, hey, you owe me a pint for this one ;-)"
July 23rd, 2007
"Joni captures street life, candids, and the mood wonderfully. I continue to return to this stream to see what new street life he has discovered! On top of everything else he shoots old school! FILM! His shots are warm and capture the mood so well! Keep going Mr. Karanka! And, keep posting!"
May 24th, 2007
- JT Karanka
- September 2005
- Cardiff, Wales
- I am:
- Scientist / Analist / Brain