Please do not ask me to shoot commercial work unpaid. Also, don't ask to use my photos in your commercial venture for free.
My site: mmdc.net/
My Blog: mmdc.net/blog/
Many of my photos are licensed Creative Commons, non-commercial, attribution, no derivatives. That means that you can use them freely for your non-commercial stuff , like most blogs, as long as you credit me and don't change the image in any way, including cropping, colorizing, using in a montage, stuff like that. If you want to use it in a book, magazine, advertisement, or something of a commercial nature, the CC license does not allow you to use it for free. For commercial uses, it's just the same as "All Rights Reserved." That means you need to talk to me about obtaining a license.
If you make unauthorized commercial use of my copyrighted images, you hereby agree to a licensing fee of $20,000 per image, per use.
- VéLO_NUTTS 20,858 photos, 874 members
- Canon Compact Cameras 14,509 photos, 458 members
- Kodak Aero-Ektar 2,780 photos, 700 members
- The Pajama Factory 1 photo, 3 members
- Prime Shots 5,972 photos, 265 members
- Yongnuo YN-460 II, YN-465, YN-468, YN-560, RF-602, CTR-301P 20,614 photos, 3,307 members
- Temps Perdu - The look and feel of memories 1,115 photos, 176 members
- Tokyo Exhibitions 2,191 photos, 849 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 716 photos, 1,197 members
- Building Visual Literacy 432 photos, 136 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 299 photos, 249 members
- Darkroom Scenes 603 photos, 560 members
- Canon Powershot G10 41,764 photos, 2,305 members
- canon G10 club 8,932 photos, 668 members
- LIFE MAGAZINE PHOTOGRAPHERS 16,944 photos, 774 members
- AreBureBoke 10,022 photos, 308 members
- Children of Uber 90 photos, 28 members
- Black and White 6,357,269 photos, 310,777 members
- 1000 B&W 759 photos, 1,379 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 720,793 photos, 28,612 members
- The Portrait Group 2,546,253 photos, 147,272 members
- THE DECISIVE MOMENT!!!!!! 86 photos, 20 members
- Canon EF 91 photos, 147 members
- 浮世絵 - The Floating World 658 photos, 552 members
- Vegetarian Japan 808 photos, 160 members
- Canon EOS 5D Series 466,561 photos, 19,150 members
- ♠ Teddy •Bears! ♠ 4,302 photos, 943 members
- TAB Talks 7 photos, 22 members
- Talks on Photography 376 photos, 57 members
- Pentax 645,645N,645NⅡ and 645D 18,469 photos, 1,260 members
- Heso Magazine Reader's Group 3,814 photos, 272 members
- Global Photojournalism 430,139 photos, 23,200 members
- Leica M8 Magenta Madness 208 photos, 41 members
- The Pause 78 photos, 87 members
- Street Noir 617 photos, 1,424 members
- *Bessa Rangefinders* 49,384 photos, 1,925 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,869 photos, 64,176 members
- Fray Quarterly: Issue 3: Sex & Death 129 photos, 618 members
- Licensing Awareness Working (LAW) Group 0 photos, 1,303 members
- Handheld Large Format Camera 1,384 photos, 365 members
- 禅 ・ Zen feeling 1,741 photos, 157 members
- 6x7 B&W 12,161 photos, 1,233 members
- GPF Click Art Award 62 photos, 89 members
- Jim O'Connell 59 photos, 1 member
- Flashbulbs 3,123 photos, 305 members
- Bladerunner 8,394 photos, 1,040 members
- Photo Commons 330 photos, 33 members
- 80's photos of you 110 photos, 79 members
- Gokurousama 293 photos, 25 members
- Tokyo Street Photography 54,223 photos, 1,453 members
"wonderful work -so glad i found you"
August 6th, 2009
"There is no better photographer alive than Jim O'Connell.
Compared to him, I am a hack."
December 25th, 2008
"There is my photography before Jim O'Connel, and there is my photography after Jim O'Connel.
March 5th, 2008
arneee (苹果) says:
"This guy takes the camera out to the streets where I would keep it away. To be honest, he has the guts to concentrate on what he is doing. Also very lovely that he shoots blackandwhite. Five stars rating."
February 13th, 2008
The Foamy Green says:
"Jim is the real deal. Restless without a camera (or at least a strong drink) in his hand. Says only what is necessary. Shoots only what is essential. Black and white isn't just his métier, it's the air he breathes."
January 2nd, 2008
Pete Barr-Watson says:
"Inspirational fairy dust, simple as that. Looking through western eyes almost every photo from Japan has interest because things are just so different, but Jim's work is different again and opens up a fabulous story about life in Tokyo. These photo's have taught me to look with different eyes through my own lens. Love it!"
October 31st, 2007
"Flickr.com is a cornucopia of amazing photographs but Jim O'Connell's work is outstanding. His photos inspire me and let me see my hometown (Tokyo) in a different way."
September 16th, 2007
"Jim O'connell is the Shane McGowan of photograpy..."
July 12th, 2007
"Damn Zebrio beat me to it.....
One day they'll say of us, that we were the guys that shot with Jim O'Connell.
But seriously,Jim is a cantankerous,arrogant,wheat intolerant old perverted bastard......who takes GREAT photos and who's dedication and commitment is an inspiration.I love him and his work.
But for God sake don't tell him I said that."
June 29th, 2007
"Jim's work inspires me. Not only that, this guy knows how to write."
May 22nd, 2007
"He don't look half bad for 100"
January 2nd, 2007
Adam Schuetze says:
"I'll keep this short and sweet. Jim is a giant of street photography. Yep, that pretty much sums it up. A giant."
December 21st, 2006
Morioka, Japan says:
"I truly love the freedom in Jim's Photography."
December 2nd, 2006
"Incredible Eyes to punch a hole in our reality.
Someday I wish I could shoot like Jim, and Burst myself into photography as he does. Bravo!"
October 28th, 2006
Sylvia Garassino says:
"You see, there's this thing you have to know about Jim.
But I don't know it yet*, so don't ask me.
October 11th, 2006
"Jim's work belongs in VII and Magnum for sure. His eye for black and white photography is that of a true artist. The scenes you capture make you feel that you are part of the environment. When I started photographing my passion was in documentary photography and later I transitioned into glamour. Now, I miss this style very much.
September 26th, 2006
Eddie . . says:
"Like his photos."
September 14th, 2006
"Jim's photostream rocks so hard it ought to be banned by the Inquisition."
June 15th, 2006
"jim is truly an inspiration to me... his mastery of light and knowing exactly when to press that button... capturing all the life and bustle and energy of tokyo, in black and white and in depth!!
his tips and tricks for wicked pics in the darkroom... stand processing extraordinaire!
and being a fond fan of the nikkormat :D
one day i'll get to see japan, until then im more than happy to see it through jim's eyes!"
June 1st, 2006
"Jim's photos -- be they of street scenes or of people, or of details of small things too easily-missed -- are always full of depth and emotional warmth. Having witnessed first-hand his passion for photography and his raw instinctive gift for capturing the spirit of the moment, he is one of the very few people whose intelligence and sensitivity I truly admire. He may be modest about his skills when asked, but I hope one day he'll realise he's not going to hide it very well :) (And thanks for those darkroom lessons in your kitchen mate!)"
April 20th, 2005
- Jim O'Connell
- April 2005
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Magnesium Photos