Please do not ask me to shoot commercial work unpaid. Also, don't ask to use my photos in your commercial venture for free.
My site: mmdc.net/
My Blog: mmdc.net/blog/
Many of my photos are licensed Creative Commons, non-commercial, attribution, no derivatives. That means that you can use them freely for your non-commercial stuff , like most blogs, as long as you credit me and don't change the image in any way, including cropping, colorizing, using in a montage, stuff like that. If you want to use it in a book, magazine, advertisement, or something of a commercial nature, the CC license does not allow you to use it for free. For commercial uses, it's just the same as "All Rights Reserved." That means you need to talk to me about obtaining a license.
If you make unauthorized commercial use of my copyrighted images, you hereby agree to a licensing fee of $20,000 per image, per use.
- please don't award us 0 photos, 537 members
- VéLO_NUTTS 23,231 photos, 918 members
- Canon Compact Cameras 21,797 photos, 529 members
- Kodak Aero-Ektar 3,114 photos, 845 members
- The Pajama Factory 1 photo, 3 members
- Prime Shots 10,296 photos, 367 members
- Yongnuo YN-460 II, YN-465, YN-468, YN-560, RF-602, CTR-301P 23,531 photos, 3,456 members
- Temps Perdu - The look and feel of memories 1,113 photos, 178 members
- Tokyo Exhibitions 2,277 photos, 855 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 710 photos, 1,234 members
- Building Visual Literacy 507 photos, 139 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 302 photos, 247 members
- Darkroom Scenes 738 photos, 626 members
- Canon Powershot G10 42,434 photos, 2,279 members
- canon G10 club 9,163 photos, 668 members
- LIFE MAGAZINE PHOTOGRAPHERS 23,894 photos, 858 members
- AreBureBoke 12,061 photos, 363 members
- Children of Uber 90 photos, 27 members
- Black and White 6,873,606 photos, 345,728 members
- 1000 B&W 731 photos, 1,464 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 860,236 photos, 31,074 members
- The Portrait Group 2,844,423 photos, 158,471 members
- THE DECISIVE MOMENT!!!!!! 86 photos, 19 members
- Canon EF 88 photos, 146 members
- 浮世絵 - The Floating World 643 photos, 580 members
- Vegetarian Japan 903 photos, 168 members
- Canon EOS 5D Series 529,863 photos, 20,267 members
- ♠ Teddy •Bears! ♠ 5,676 photos, 979 members
- TAB Talks 7 photos, 22 members
- Talks on Photography 187 photos, 58 members
- Pentax 645,645N,645NⅡ and 645D 23,831 photos, 1,574 members
- Heso Magazine Reader's Group 5,978 photos, 319 members
- Global Photojournalism 489,809 photos, 24,068 members
- Leica M8 Magenta Madness 460 photos, 59 members
- The Pause 68 photos, 87 members
- Street Noir 635 photos, 1,673 members
- *Bessa Rangefinders* 58,309 photos, 1,984 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,988 photos, 75,190 members
- Fray Quarterly: Issue 3: Sex & Death 129 photos, 613 members
- Licensing Awareness Working (LAW) Group 0 photos, 1,286 members
- Handheld Large Format Camera 1,428 photos, 382 members
- 禅 ・ Zen feeling 1,747 photos, 157 members
- 6x7 B&W 15,297 photos, 1,507 members
- GPF Click Art Award 59 photos, 89 members
- Jim O'Connell 59 photos, 1 member
- Flashbulbs 2,092 photos, 321 members
- Bladerunner 9,679 photos, 1,107 members
- Photo Commons 330 photos, 33 members
- 80's photos of you 116 photos, 81 members
- Gokurousama 292 photos, 24 members
"wonderful work -so glad i found you"
August 6th, 2009
"There is no better photographer alive than Jim O'Connell.
Compared to him, I am a hack."
December 25th, 2008
"There is my photography before Jim O'Connel, and there is my photography after Jim O'Connel.
March 5th, 2008
arneee (苹果) says:
"This guy takes the camera out to the streets where I would keep it away. To be honest, he has the guts to concentrate on what he is doing. Also very lovely that he shoots blackandwhite. Five stars rating."
February 13th, 2008
The Foamy Green says:
"Jim is the real deal. Restless without a camera (or at least a strong drink) in his hand. Says only what is necessary. Shoots only what is essential. Black and white isn't just his métier, it's the air he breathes."
January 2nd, 2008
Pete Barr-Watson says:
"Inspirational fairy dust, simple as that. Looking through western eyes almost every photo from Japan has interest because things are just so different, but Jim's work is different again and opens up a fabulous story about life in Tokyo. These photo's have taught me to look with different eyes through my own lens. Love it!"
October 31st, 2007
"Flickr.com is a cornucopia of amazing photographs but Jim O'Connell's work is outstanding. His photos inspire me and let me see my hometown (Tokyo) in a different way."
September 16th, 2007
"Jim O'connell is the Shane McGowan of photograpy..."
July 12th, 2007
"Damn Zebrio beat me to it.....
One day they'll say of us, that we were the guys that shot with Jim O'Connell.
But seriously,Jim is a cantankerous,arrogant,wheat intolerant old perverted bastard......who takes GREAT photos and who's dedication and commitment is an inspiration.I love him and his work.
But for God sake don't tell him I said that."
June 29th, 2007
"Jim's work inspires me. Not only that, this guy knows how to write."
May 22nd, 2007
"He don't look half bad for 100"
January 2nd, 2007
Adam Schuetze says:
"I'll keep this short and sweet. Jim is a giant of street photography. Yep, that pretty much sums it up. A giant."
December 21st, 2006
Morioka, Japan says:
"I truly love the freedom in Jim's Photography."
December 2nd, 2006
"Incredible Eyes to punch a hole in our reality.
Someday I wish I could shoot like Jim, and Burst myself into photography as he does. Bravo!"
October 28th, 2006
Sylvia Garassino says:
"You see, there's this thing you have to know about Jim.
But I don't know it yet*, so don't ask me.
October 11th, 2006
"Jim's work belongs in VII and Magnum for sure. His eye for black and white photography is that of a true artist. The scenes you capture make you feel that you are part of the environment. When I started photographing my passion was in documentary photography and later I transitioned into glamour. Now, I miss this style very much.
September 26th, 2006
Eddie . . says:
"Like his photos."
September 14th, 2006
"Jim's photostream rocks so hard it ought to be banned by the Inquisition."
June 15th, 2006
"jim is truly an inspiration to me... his mastery of light and knowing exactly when to press that button... capturing all the life and bustle and energy of tokyo, in black and white and in depth!!
his tips and tricks for wicked pics in the darkroom... stand processing extraordinaire!
and being a fond fan of the nikkormat :D
one day i'll get to see japan, until then im more than happy to see it through jim's eyes!"
June 1st, 2006
"Jim's photos -- be they of street scenes or of people, or of details of small things too easily-missed -- are always full of depth and emotional warmth. Having witnessed first-hand his passion for photography and his raw instinctive gift for capturing the spirit of the moment, he is one of the very few people whose intelligence and sensitivity I truly admire. He may be modest about his skills when asked, but I hope one day he'll realise he's not going to hide it very well :) (And thanks for those darkroom lessons in your kitchen mate!)"
April 20th, 2005
- Jim O'Connell
- April 2005
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Magnesium Photos