Please do not ask me to shoot commercial work unpaid. Also, don't ask to use my photos in your commercial venture for free.
My site: mmdc.net/
My Blog: mmdc.net/blog/
Many of my photos are licensed Creative Commons, non-commercial, attribution, no derivatives. That means that you can use them freely for your non-commercial stuff , like most blogs, as long as you credit me and don't change the image in any way, including cropping, colorizing, using in a montage, stuff like that. If you want to use it in a book, magazine, advertisement, or something of a commercial nature, the CC license does not allow you to use it for free. For commercial uses, it's just the same as "All Rights Reserved." That means you need to talk to me about obtaining a license.
If you make unauthorized commercial use of my copyrighted images, you hereby agree to a licensing fee of $20,000 per image, per use.
- please don't award us 0 photos, 534 members
- VéLO_NUTTS 24,113 photos, 928 members
- Canon Compact Cameras 23,910 photos, 550 members
- Kodak Aero-Ektar 3,191 photos, 880 members
- The Pajama Factory 1 photo, 3 members
- Prime Shots 11,460 photos, 388 members
- Yongnuo YN-460 II, YN-465, YN-468, YN-560, RF-602, CTR-301P 24,024 photos, 3,457 members
- Temps Perdu - The look and feel of memories 1,113 photos, 177 members
- Tokyo Exhibitions 2,314 photos, 850 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 707 photos, 1,232 members
- Building Visual Literacy 542 photos, 139 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 327 photos, 256 members
- Darkroom Scenes 767 photos, 643 members
- Canon Powershot G10 41,995 photos, 2,267 members
- canon G10 club 9,134 photos, 668 members
- LIFE MAGAZINE PHOTOGRAPHERS 26,258 photos, 872 members
- AreBureBoke 12,805 photos, 370 members
- Children of Uber 90 photos, 27 members
- Black and White 6,859,825 photos, 351,573 members
- 1000 B&W 722 photos, 1,487 members
- Dazed and Confused - New Photographer Search 901,148 photos, 31,496 members
- The Portrait Group 2,944,092 photos, 161,078 members
- THE DECISIVE MOMENT!!!!!! 86 photos, 18 members
- Canon EF 90 photos, 147 members
- 浮世絵 - The Floating World 878 photos, 646 members
- Vegetarian Japan 909 photos, 169 members
- Canon EOS 5D Series 549,763 photos, 20,578 members
- ♠ Teddy •Bears! ♠ 6,006 photos, 987 members
- TAB Talks 7 photos, 22 members
- Talks on Photography 199 photos, 58 members
- Pentax 645,645N,645NⅡ and 645D 25,474 photos, 1,641 members
- Heso Magazine Reader's Group 6,471 photos, 336 members
- Global Photojournalism 507,036 photos, 24,245 members
- Leica M8 Magenta Madness 518 photos, 61 members
- The Pause 67 photos, 86 members
- Street Noir 637 photos, 1,729 members
- *Bessa Rangefinders* 58,924 photos, 2,005 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,100 photos, 77,041 members
- Fray Quarterly: Issue 3: Sex & Death 128 photos, 611 members
- Licensing Awareness Working (LAW) Group 0 photos, 1,280 members
- Handheld Large Format Camera 1,480 photos, 392 members
- 禅 ・ Zen feeling 1,784 photos, 155 members
- 6x7 B&W 15,773 photos, 1,595 members
- GPF Click Art Award 59 photos, 89 members
- Jim O'Connell 59 photos, 1 member
- Flashbulbs 2,129 photos, 328 members
- Bladerunner 10,239 photos, 1,117 members
- Photo Commons 330 photos, 34 members
- 80's photos of you 111 photos, 80 members
- Gokurousama 292 photos, 23 members
"wonderful work -so glad i found you"
August 6th, 2009
"There is no better photographer alive than Jim O'Connell.
Compared to him, I am a hack."
December 25th, 2008
"There is my photography before Jim O'Connel, and there is my photography after Jim O'Connel.
March 5th, 2008
arneee (苹果) says:
"This guy takes the camera out to the streets where I would keep it away. To be honest, he has the guts to concentrate on what he is doing. Also very lovely that he shoots blackandwhite. Five stars rating."
February 13th, 2008
The Foamy Green says:
"Jim is the real deal. Restless without a camera (or at least a strong drink) in his hand. Says only what is necessary. Shoots only what is essential. Black and white isn't just his métier, it's the air he breathes."
January 2nd, 2008
Pete Barr-Watson says:
"Inspirational fairy dust, simple as that. Looking through western eyes almost every photo from Japan has interest because things are just so different, but Jim's work is different again and opens up a fabulous story about life in Tokyo. These photo's have taught me to look with different eyes through my own lens. Love it!"
October 31st, 2007
"Flickr.com is a cornucopia of amazing photographs but Jim O'Connell's work is outstanding. His photos inspire me and let me see my hometown (Tokyo) in a different way."
September 16th, 2007
"Jim O'connell is the Shane McGowan of photograpy..."
July 12th, 2007
"Damn Zebrio beat me to it.....
One day they'll say of us, that we were the guys that shot with Jim O'Connell.
But seriously,Jim is a cantankerous,arrogant,wheat intolerant old perverted bastard......who takes GREAT photos and who's dedication and commitment is an inspiration.I love him and his work.
But for God sake don't tell him I said that."
June 29th, 2007
"Jim's work inspires me. Not only that, this guy knows how to write."
May 22nd, 2007
"He don't look half bad for 100"
January 2nd, 2007
Adam Schuetze says:
"I'll keep this short and sweet. Jim is a giant of street photography. Yep, that pretty much sums it up. A giant."
December 21st, 2006
Morioka, Japan says:
"I truly love the freedom in Jim's Photography."
December 2nd, 2006
"Incredible Eyes to punch a hole in our reality.
Someday I wish I could shoot like Jim, and Burst myself into photography as he does. Bravo!"
October 28th, 2006
Sylvia Garassino says:
"You see, there's this thing you have to know about Jim.
But I don't know it yet*, so don't ask me.
October 11th, 2006
"Jim's work belongs in VII and Magnum for sure. His eye for black and white photography is that of a true artist. The scenes you capture make you feel that you are part of the environment. When I started photographing my passion was in documentary photography and later I transitioned into glamour. Now, I miss this style very much.
September 26th, 2006
Eddie . . says:
"Like his photos."
September 14th, 2006
"Jim's photostream rocks so hard it ought to be banned by the Inquisition."
June 15th, 2006
"jim is truly an inspiration to me... his mastery of light and knowing exactly when to press that button... capturing all the life and bustle and energy of tokyo, in black and white and in depth!!
his tips and tricks for wicked pics in the darkroom... stand processing extraordinaire!
and being a fond fan of the nikkormat :D
one day i'll get to see japan, until then im more than happy to see it through jim's eyes!"
June 1st, 2006
"Jim's photos -- be they of street scenes or of people, or of details of small things too easily-missed -- are always full of depth and emotional warmth. Having witnessed first-hand his passion for photography and his raw instinctive gift for capturing the spirit of the moment, he is one of the very few people whose intelligence and sensitivity I truly admire. He may be modest about his skills when asked, but I hope one day he'll realise he's not going to hide it very well :) (And thanks for those darkroom lessons in your kitchen mate!)"
April 20th, 2005
- Jim O'Connell
- April 2005
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Magnesium Photos