Jim has been photographing seriously since his 20s, focusing on music festivals, concerts, culture, travel and people. With music always a major influence in his life, his acumen and passion for photography expanded every year he captured countless images of travels and adventures around the world, and in retrospect, it's obvious how these two roads would eventually converge. He seeks out artists and performances that move and inspire him and strives to capture musical moments that stir him in an image. Keying into a solo, a glance between musicians, the reveries of the crowd.
After shooting the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival from the other side of the rail for many years, Jim has been jury chosen to shoot Jazzfest every year since 2008, including the assignment of covering such acts as James Taylor, the Dave Matthews Band, Simon & Garfunkel, Joe Cocker, Jeff Beck, Robert Plant, and the Allman Brothers Band. Jim has provided images of New Orleans musicians in promotional and live settings for management, labels and artists and is currently a resident photographer of New Orleans acts for The Mint nightclub in Los Angeles. From his home base, he continues to shoot New Orleans artists on tour as well as a diverse range of other performers and subjects. Jim’s images can be found on music blogs (Comet, Glide Magazine, JetSetJen and others), press releases, posters, and on artist/event web sites and their facebook/myspace. Jim’s images can also be seen in the book “Pieces of Me”, published by Threadhead Records, Paul Sanchez’s personal account of life in New Orleans after Katrina and his ongoing journey as a musician and artist, and were featured by USA Today in their April 26, 2011 piece, "New Orleans is back and so is the talent". His photo of Cowboy Mouth was selected by the band for the cover of their 2010 Jazzfest Live recording by MunckMix.
Jim draws upon his deepening relationship with the artists and musicians of New Orleans and elsewhere for much of his work on and off the stage, wherever he shoots. The steamy mix of audience and performer that become inseparable. The challenges of the elements, the birth of a connection, the "who are these guys" and "now I know why I'm here" moments. These are all moments Jim feels fortunate to share, and not just photograph.
- Music Photography 455,226 photos, 14,195 members
- Live Music 507,242 photos, 27,974 members
- brass bands 4,234 photos, 331 members
- New Orleans 65,450 photos, 3,567 members
- New Orleans Photography 57,457 photos, 2,589 members
- Jazz Festivals 17,807 photos, 598 members
- Guitar World 85,920 photos, 12,217 members
- Hammond Organs 301 photos, 115 members
- Drums 1,242 photos, 151 members
- BASS_GUITAR_players 1,042 photos, 164 members
- Festivals: Music, Art and Folk Fests 48,990 photos, 4,047 members
- The Spirit of New Orleans 11,577 photos, 515 members
- Guitars 7,647 photos, 452 members
- NOLA Jazz Fest 1,013 photos, 37 members
- New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival 3,923 photos, 215 members
Jim Brock Photography doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Jim Brock
- March 2010
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Jim Brock Photography