I'm a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and have my own technology company, yet photography is taking more and more of my free and not so free time. There is something in it that makes me love to take, develop and share photos. Maybe it's a sense of unjustified immortality, as each photo is timeless and has something in it about oneself. Maybe it's because of its pure enjoyment. Whatever it is, I don't really need to know. Loving something is just enough of a reason.
Photography has taught me to be present, to enjoy what I see, specially when light gets "clever". It's a healthy activity that defeats consumerism, probably more so in the digital age. It costs nothing, just our time and energy, and we create objects that are so simple to share. Photography has been a non commercial activity for me, yet almost 500 photos have already found their place in books, movies, wikipedia, souvenirs, magazines, blogs, and most forms of media even from places so distant from where I am as Poland, Russia and India. It's so much fun to discover that we can do so much without the need of anyone or anything but the tools, the on-line community, and what we see in front of us.
I do try to take photos with the highest possible level of detail and naturalness, taking advantage of available lighting conditions as they present to me as a natural environment, instead of an impact obtained by elaborate post processing. If there is something that is of value in a photo for someone today or in the future, I want to leave it at a high resolution level, so future tinkering has a better chance.
Except for my panoramas photos, all my photos are made from one RAW file. Therefore, none of my photos uses HDR, by HDR meaning multiple frames at different exposures merged with the objective of expanding shadows and highlights.
I upload all the photos I take which I feel I like for any reason whatsoever, without concerns of any rules. For me flickr represents my photographic workplace environment. It is interesting to see how the flickr community and the web will interfere with my portfolio and automatically get my photostream ranked. This is of a lot of help, as I find photo selection as difficult if not more than the art of taking photos!
Presently I use Lightroom as the tool to develop the RAW files, spending only occasionally a few minutes on general adjustments on a photo of merit.
Around mid 2010, I have set my camera clock to WET – Western European Time - Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) - +0000 - so it is always ready for when I use it together with my Jobo GPS for geo-data capture.
Sometimes I write a few words on my blog if you are ever interested.
All my photos are posted as Public and offered to the community with Attribution, Share Alike, Creative Commons license. For more info: CC License Conditions.
Do not hesitate to contact me if you ever need any of my photos in higher resolution as I love to share!
Find here my set of photos published in the media that I'm aware of:
Here some sets representing part of my flickr portfolio:
- Paisajes Contrastados en Blanco y Negro 151 photos, 121 members
- The Human Spirit--A Celebration 149 photos, 22 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 11,619 photos, 15,188 members
- NYC Marathon 2013 320 photos, 34 members
- Love South Africa 15,352 photos, 859 members
- Project Weather 157,909 photos, 38,369 members
- Skylines y Rascacielos Chilenos 4,871 photos, 570 members
- El mundo en bicicletas 39,831 photos, 2,857 members
- We are each other's contacts! 26,364 photos, 956 members
- Revive your best old photos! 2,086 photos, 140 members
- Movimiento Intencionado de la Cámara 622 photos, 62 members
- Voigtländer Color Skopar 28mm SLII 139 photos, 18 members
- Nikon D800E Users 8,930 photos, 227 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,082 photos, 6,950 members
- Only Contest 2,638 photos, 3,314 members
- Vision sound 37,612 photos, 1,829 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 3,048 photos, 552 members
- InfinityList.com 1,570 photos, 228 members
- FIFA World Cup 2014 Qualifiers in the flesh! 6 photos, 8 members
- Taller fotografico - Uruguay 5,125 photos, 230 members
- flickr (unofficial) 1,895,184 photos, 81,754 members
- Paul McCartney Live 879 photos, 65 members
- Paul McCartney Tours 2005 onward 859 photos, 203 members
- McCARTNEY 1,153 photos, 150 members
- Paul McCartney 964 photos, 135 members
- A Portrait Group 441,528 photos, 9,684 members
- Models 287,411 photos, 13,721 members
- Portraits 'n Fashion 118,568 photos, 6,697 members
- Available Light / Existing Light 626,425 photos, 17,003 members
- RELIGIOUS MONUMENTS 19,531 photos, 656 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,594 photos, 14,482 members
- Futebol | Football | Fútbol | Soccer | Calcio | Fussball 13,771 photos, 810 members
- RIU Hotels and Resorts - Fan Images 3,230 photos, 473 members
- Starnberger See 2,599 photos, 220 members
- Indianapolis, Indiana 28,484 photos, 926 members
- Black & White Photography 1 (Please comment or fav 1) 10,330 photos, 391 members
- PHOTOFM ●● flickr - Sube 1 Premia 4 31,767 photos, 1,816 members
- ALTERNATIVE and UNDERGROUND (only HQ) 1,119 photos, 128 members
- artland 602,052 photos, 30,688 members
- !*Flickr Award Group*! (GIVE 5 AWARDS) 2,496,213 photos, 95,862 members
- People of my city - Buenos Aires 3,168 photos, 202 members
- ABSTRACT ART - *comment 1 per post 212,271 photos, 13,014 members
- The Miami Picture Project 1,755 photos, 124 members
- Downtown Miami and Surrounding Areas 2,920 photos, 183 members
- Muestra Tu México en Flickr 95,894 photos, 4,756 members
- Los 31 estados de México + el D.F. 111,273 photos, 4,392 members
- MOST EXCELLENT in Black & White 108,563 photos, 4,704 members
- Structural Artists 7,616 photos, 1,138 members
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 21,448 photos, 5,015 members
- Club Atlético Peñarol 24 photos, 8 members
jikatu doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Jimmy Baikovicius
- March 2007
- Montevideo, Uruguay
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ikatu's director: ikatu.com