I'm a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and have my own technology company, yet photography is taking more and more of my free and not so free time. There is something in it that makes me love to take, develop and share photos. Maybe it's a sense of unjustified immortality, as each photo is timeless and has something in it about oneself. Maybe it's because of its pure enjoyment. Whatever it is, I don't really need to know. Loving something is just enough of a reason.
Photography has taught me to be present, to enjoy what I see, specially when light gets "clever". It's a healthy activity that defeats consumerism, probably more so in the digital age. It costs nothing, just our time and energy, and we create objects that are so simple to share. Photography has been a non commercial activity for me, yet almost 500 photos have already found their place in books, movies, wikipedia, souvenirs, magazines, blogs, and most forms of media even from places so distant from where I am as Poland, Russia and India. It's so much fun to discover that we can do so much without the need of anyone or anything but the tools, the on-line community, and what we see in front of us.
I do try to take photos with the highest possible level of detail and naturalness, taking advantage of available lighting conditions as they present to me as a natural environment, instead of an impact obtained by elaborate post processing. If there is something that is of value in a photo for someone today or in the future, I want to leave it at a high resolution level, so future tinkering has a better chance.
Except for my panoramas photos, all my photos are made from one RAW file. Therefore, none of my photos uses HDR, by HDR meaning multiple frames at different exposures merged with the objective of expanding shadows and highlights.
I upload all the photos I take which I feel I like for any reason whatsoever, without concerns of any rules. For me flickr represents my photographic workplace environment. It is interesting to see how the flickr community and the web will interfere with my portfolio and automatically get my photostream ranked. This is of a lot of help, as I find photo selection as difficult if not more than the art of taking photos!
Presently I use Lightroom as the tool to develop the RAW files, spending only occasionally a few minutes on general adjustments on a photo of merit.
Around mid 2010, I have set my camera clock to WET – Western European Time - Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) - +0000 - so it is always ready for when I use it together with my Jobo GPS for geo-data capture. And as of May 25, 2014, I started to upload my photos in 4K resolution.
Sometimes I write a few words on my blog if you are ever interested.
All my photos are posted as Public and offered to the community with Attribution, Share Alike, Creative Commons license. For more info: CC License Conditions.
Do not hesitate to contact me if you ever need any of my photos in higher resolution as I love to share!
Find here my set of photos published in the media that I'm aware of:
Here some sets representing part of my flickr portfolio:
- Estradas da América do Sul 202 photos, 33 members
- GREAT PANOS 20,169 photos, 3,012 members
- CIELOS Y NUBES, SKIES AND CLOUDS 46,495 photos, 3,204 members
- Flickr Nature Group 2,980 photos, 202 members
- Brazil 2014 3,348 photos, 4,454 members
- 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil (The Un Official Flickr Group) 944 photos, 112 members
- Paisajes Contrastados en Blanco y Negro 1,055 photos, 272 members
- The Human Spirit--A Celebration 232 photos, 29 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 11,259 photos, 14,274 members
- NYC Marathon 2013 323 photos, 34 members
- Love South Africa 22,048 photos, 1,033 members
- Project Weather 405,666 photos, 72,766 members
- Skylines Chilenos 5,737 photos, 638 members
- El mundo en bicicletas 45,096 photos, 3,126 members
- We are each other's contacts! 38,706 photos, 958 members
- Revive your best old photos! 2,311 photos, 135 members
- Movimiento Intencionado de la Cámara 819 photos, 73 members
- Voigtländer Color Skopar 28mm SLII 244 photos, 38 members
- Nikon D800E Users 12,749 photos, 269 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,961 photos, 6,672 members
- Only Contest 2,957 photos, 3,509 members
- Vision sound 57,475 photos, 2,001 members
- London Cinema, Movies and Television 3,598 photos, 588 members
- InfinityList.com 1,704 photos, 234 members
- FIFA World Cup 2014 Qualifiers in the flesh! 6 photos, 9 members
- Taller fotografico - Uruguay 6,529 photos, 252 members
- flickr (unofficial) 2,846,417 photos, 91,177 members
- Paul McCartney Live 915 photos, 69 members
- Paul McCartney Tours 2005 onward 870 photos, 208 members
- McCARTNEY 1,182 photos, 154 members
- Paul McCartney 991 photos, 151 members
- A Portrait Group 489,360 photos, 10,162 members
- Models 331,441 photos, 15,660 members
- Portraits 'n Fashion 133,859 photos, 7,286 members
- Available Light / Existing Light 796,630 photos, 19,963 members
- RELIGIOUS MONUMENTS 24,208 photos, 710 members
- Your Best Shot 2011 12,358 photos, 14,073 members
- Futebol | Football | Fútbol | Soccer | Calcio | Fussball 16,321 photos, 828 members
- RIU Hotels and Resorts - Fan Images 3,307 photos, 485 members
- Starnberger See 2,766 photos, 230 members
- Indianapolis, Indiana 30,944 photos, 953 members
- Black & White Photography 1 (Please comment or fav 1) 12,918 photos, 404 members
- PHOTOFM ●● flickr - Sube 1 Premia 4 34,690 photos, 1,831 members
- ALTERNATIVE and UNDERGROUND (only HQ) 1,902 photos, 185 members
- artland 727,831 photos, 34,862 members
- !*Flickr Award Group*! (GIVE 5 AWARDS) 2,688,002 photos, 96,625 members
- People of my city - Buenos Aires 3,537 photos, 234 members
- ABSTRACT ART - *comment 1 per post 227,519 photos, 13,469 members
- The Miami Picture Project 2,467 photos, 176 members
- Downtown Miami and Surrounding Areas 3,439 photos, 216 members
jikatu doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Jimmy Baikovicius
- March 2007
- Montevideo, Uruguay
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ikatu's director: ikatu.com