"Looking to capture the Art in everyday life"
So, I started as a traveler who took pictures. I did a lot of observing. More than 10,000 miles were on a bicycle. Not much to do but observe. I'd stop and take a shot.
I was at the Louvre museum in Paris at the Mona Lisa... the crowd was thick and I couldn't get close enough for a photo. I realized the experience was the crowd, not the painting. It was like a light bulb went off in my head (flash bulb?)
I became more aware of atmosphere and mood. As I took more shots, the point became as much the photography as the travel. The type of pictures I liked to take evolved.
So, now I live and work in the New York City area and I've been focusing mostly on street photography. While I occasionally slip in a landscape or artistic shot, life on the streets intrigues me and offers great challenges. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
You can see more pictures and read my photo blog at my website at www.StreetObservations.com.
Please do not use my photographs without explicit approval from me. The finest are available at www.JohnFraissinet.com (others upon request). Thanks.
Photos of John Fraissinet (7)
- Unlimited Grain Contest 2015 54 photos, 71 members
- Shoot the Street 555,903 photos, 9,330 members
- The Street Photograph (Black and White Street Photography) 333,581 photos, 7,522 members
- www.street-photographers.com 240 photos, 4,524 members
- Landscape 1,057,089 photos, 101,985 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 400,647 photos, 103,444 members
- People Watching 799,083 photos, 13,043 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 815,128 photos, 33,589 members
- Bokeh: Smooth & Silky 1,475,400 photos, 74,653 members
- Favorite Street Pictures 201,043 photos, 8,150 members
- !!Perfect Composition!! 1,442,079 photos, 28,724 members
- ...-Wink's Place-... 240,284 photos, 3,599 members
- Manhattan Street photography 66,032 photos, 2,101 members
- Streets in Colo(u)r 7,610 photos, 5,745 members
- hello, stranger. [a street photography group] 19,004 photos, 5,213 members
- Life in Black & White 1,245,748 photos, 36,555 members
- Gothamist 228,828 photos, 3,982 members
- Photofocus 87,447 photos, 8,077 members
- People in Black & White 707,326 photos, 33,539 members
- Black and white street photography 743 photos, 1,272 members
- Street in B&W 76,705 photos, 2,529 members
- Street Composition (Fine Art Street Photography) 323,410 photos, 9,326 members
- EDWARD HOPPER an ode to the artist 2,718 photos, 895 members
- Artistic Photography 5,117,989 photos, 138,354 members
- Street 100views+10favourites 1,031 photos, 518 members
- restaurant-murals 866 photos, 183 members
- *****Street Photography***** 1,173,323 photos, 28,955 members
- **The Street Photography Society** only 2 shots per week 341,379 photos, 11,797 members
- The Streets 232,598 photos, 3,927 members
- A Better B&W Group 733,399 photos, 15,215 members
- CityScape 922,817 photos, 27,472 members
- Art in Black and White 487,100 photos, 16,528 members
- Faux Vintage 138,618 photos, 9,932 members
- New York, New York 485,064 photos, 17,534 members
- Urban Nature 186,635 photos, 60,672 members
- STREET STORIES 641,650 photos, 12,092 members
- 1,000 Invitational 4,655 photos, 1,811 members
- Decisive Moments... Classics in B&W 14,936 photos, 3,951 members
- Streetshots (people in the street) 841,143 photos, 18,831 members
- NYC Street Photography 125,155 photos, 4,819 members
- Street Photographers 605,823 photos, 9,424 members
- B&W photo 166,891 photos, 4,245 members
- B+W 1,028,198 photos, 28,211 members
- I Love Black and White! 2,242,698 photos, 71,479 members
- Black and White Dreams 52,423 photos, 6,170 members
- Scenes From The Street 379,944 photos, 7,825 members
- URBAN New York 140,668 photos, 7,404 members
- Color Street Photography [Photos of People Only] 11,840 photos, 6,328 members
- NEW YORK CITY DEFINED 191,313 photos, 4,896 members
- street surreal 98,028 photos, 4,933 members
Photos by Enzo D. says:
"I've never been to New York City and my idea of this city was based inevitably on Woody Allen’s “Manhattan”. Since I follow John’s photostream, my representation of New York has changed through his photos.
Through his camera, the formless crowd that he encounters every day becomes something interesting, people turn into actors, expressions, colors and lights catch our eye.
In John's photography, it all makes sense and you can realize it even more by reading his blog "Street Observation". He is able to stop the moments of everyday life with grace and discretion, slowing the rapid flow of life in New York and giving us the opportunity to watch with him small and meaningful moments that would otherwise be lost."
December 21st, 2010
"People who are lucky or unlucky enough to know me in person also know that if there's one city in the whole world I 'm absolutely obsessed with it's NYC!
As I grow older and older, big cities don't do it for me any more - but not New York... New York still does it for me and always will! It's a city full of life, a refreshing, rejuvenating experience in itself, and John Fraissinet has been steadily capturing the essence of NYC life in his pictures. The very soul of the city that never sleeps, regardless of seasons and regardless of the time of day, is right there: in these pictures that John is generous enough to share with us on a regular basis!
After all, a place - a city, an island, a village - is mostly its people, the way they live their everyday lives, the way they walk around, their smile or the stress reflected in their eyes, a gesture here and there, a look, a pose, an attitude at the restaurant, at the theater, at the bus stop.
When we visit a place, this is what stays with us forever afterwards: the people! And John's pictures are full of people, New York people... His pictures come alive with the people in them - or is it that people come alive in John's pictures?
In a few words, if you can't be in New York or if you can't visit the city, visiting John's photostream is quite possibly the next best thing! I should know: that's what I do, until my next trip!
Thank you, John!"
December 11th, 2009
Sion Fullana says:
"Simply put: some of the best New York street photography you may find on Flickr... amazing eye!"
May 25th, 2009
- John Fraissinet
- June 2006
- New York, NY, USA
- I am: