I am an enthusiast biologist living in London, UK and now working for the cultivated plants conservation charity Plant Heritage.
I worked as a volunteer in the National Botanical Garden of Belgium. My main interests are botany, horticulture and entomology but I'm passionate about biology in general.
I'm especially keen on IDing everything from flora to fauna.
Check my blog here ;) : www.naturanaute.com/
My master's thesis topic was a preliminary phylogeny of an African genus of angraecoid orchids called Tridactyle.
Want to see what it looks like? Here is Tridactyle bicaudata, gorgeous photo taken by afriorchids :
I also love gardening, tropical plants and green design like Patrick Blanc's green walls.
Here is my try!
- Surrey Wildlife Trust: Wild Snaps 1,726 photos, 85 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 23,546 photos, 967 members
- Orchid n Orchids 12,939 photos, 453 members
- Zingiberales 768 photos, 78 members
- Angraecoid Orchids, mainly Angraecum and Aerangis 1,817 photos, 95 members
- Photos of Botanic Garden Meise (Belgium) 420 photos, 18 members
- Jamiroquai European Tour 2011 1,269 photos, 178 members
- Dendrobium Species 3,417 photos, 319 members
- Orchid Species 16,550 photos, 384 members
- Pollen Swapping 1,926 photos, 254 members
- Scanning Electron Microscopy / SEM 496 photos, 229 members
- Systematic Botany (not for "pretty flower images") 840 photos, 175 members
- Women of Star Wars 1,995 photos, 495 members
- Black Plants 429 photos, 124 members
- Liliaceae and its relatives 1,469 photos, 130 members
- Boraginaceae 851 photos, 81 members
- Flora y fauna de Canarias. 5,281 photos, 173 members
- Pea Family / Fabaceae 3,024 photos, 180 members
- Variegated plants 1,733 photos, 196 members
- Euphorbia 2,464 photos, 297 members
- Echinopsis 974 photos, 222 members
- Primulaceae 678 photos, 83 members
- Amaryllidaceae 1,432 photos, 158 members
- Ferns 6,347 photos, 757 members
- just ferns... 6,491 photos, 1,705 members
- Apocynaceae 3,846 photos, 248 members
- Myrsinaceae 45 photos, 13 members
- Cyperaceae 609 photos, 57 members
- Commelinaceae 272 photos, 54 members
- Iridaceae 1,365 photos, 152 members
- Scrophulariaceae Phrymaceae 1,141 photos, 131 members
- Mimulus 1,020 photos, 82 members
- Aroids 2,088 photos, 196 members
- STAR WARS In Concert 554 photos, 21 members
- Slipper Orchid 3,458 photos, 300 members
- Orchids 113,214 photos, 9,054 members
- Paphiopedilum and Identification 798 photos, 106 members
- The World of Clivias 634 photos, 106 members
- Bromeliads 7,180 photos, 610 members
- Passiflora 3,779 photos, 731 members
- Nepenthes 1,263 photos, 183 members
- Titan Arum 663 photos, 114 members
- Medicinal, Aromatic and Wild (or rare) Edible Plants 20,997 photos, 1,857 members
- Singapore Botanic Gardens 3,299 photos, 266 members
- Unidentified flowers and plants 6,710 photos, 1,110 members
- What flower is this? 7,610 photos, 1,058 members
- Jungles and Forests of the World 6,886 photos, 562 members
- Impatiens 938 photos, 105 members
- Begonia (3 per Day) 1,400 photos, 323 members
- ASTERACEAE 12,225 photos, 620 members
"I’m a nature photographer, traveling around the world. One of my goals is to document the flora and fauna that I find during my explorations. However, my photos are useless without accurate identifications.
For several years now Sophie LeGuil has regularly and consistently been playing an extremely important role in the time-consuming process of describing and labeling my photos. She has made it possible for me to expand my contribution to the knowledge of plants of Planet Earth in meaningful ways. She has a broad knowledge not only of the plants in general but also of the networks, resources, and references available and how to apply them. She has numerous contacts who are experts in specific families. She is a patient teacher who can explain details in a vocabulary that we amateurs can understand. I’ve learned from her about the details that help in the ID process. She is a careful, thoughtful detective when challenged with a new plant; I trust her judgment. She doesn’t rush to a decision just to show that she knows the answer.
Thanks to her, a number of my photos can be found in important online reference websites like ARKive and Missouri Botanical Gardens. She has been an inspiration and a motivator for me.
Now if only I could keep up with recording the details that she sends me……
Sincerely, Shirley Sekarajasingham/Hesperia 2007"
21st March, 2012
- September 2006
- Thionville, France
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Threatened Plants Project Coordinator - Plant Heritage