October 5, 2010 --
Thanks for taking a look at my profile page here on flickr. I have been on flickr since 2005 but only really got into photography with the purchase of my first DSLR in late 2008. In 2009 I did a photo a day project, with a great group of people, here on flickr. In 2010 I had intended to do a couple more photography projects but I sort of let them slide without the discipline of a photo a day project to keep me going.
For me I really enjoy the aesthetics and beauty that can be captured in photography and the challenge of achieving the image you see in your head in the final frame, straight out of the camera or with the help of post processing tools like photoshop. I am no purist and almost all of my photographs have at least some level post production and I am ok with that.
I have taken several long breaks in the year 2010 from flickr. Trying to find something in my photography to say. But, it turns out, that it is hard to say something or even come up with something to say if you leave the camera in the bag.
So I have decided to give the photo a day project another go. This time it isn't a photo a day for a year, it is just a photo a day until it isn't.
I am taking a cue from a very cool songwriter over on youtube, Jonathan Mann. He is writing a song a day because, and I am paraphrasing watch the video at the link for the actual words, he has seen a certain percentage of his songs are great and a certain percentage suck. He has come to the conclusion that doing the work and practicing his craft every day, regardless of the outcome, produces more work that is great over time than trying to produce only great stuff. You know I think I can relate to that and I hope to do so with my photography.
All that said I am not now, nor do I have any intentions or aspirations to be, a professional photographer. I enjoy the hobby and want to do it more and learn to do it better. I am not allergic to money and I don't mind an occasional gig if someone finds my work worth hiring or if I sell a few shots through Getty and the like but that isn't my motivation. That said I the license set on my photos one of two ways: Many of my photos are © All Rights Revered. These are typically photos that have been licensed by Getty or are of people and I would like to more tightly control the distribution.
I have licensed a lot of other photos under the creative commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States license. Essentially this means if you want to use them go ahead (make sure the photo you want to use indicates a creative commons license). You do need to give me credit when you use it in a way that is not difficult for a viewer of your publication to find. Additionally please comment on the photo here at flickr to let me know.
(Note: Much of this content was uploaded under a All Rights Reserved license and later changed. There are watermarks on this content now. If you want or need a non-watermarked version of the image please let me know and I will see what I can do. The license indicator on Flickr, not the watermark, is the true license status.)
One last thing. In 2009 and early 2010 I was addicted to flickr. And, yes, I realize that it is probably not possible to be actually addicted to flickr -- but I certainly had my priorities out of whack where flickr was concerned. It is so easy to become 'addicted' to flickr and be so involved in the community that you spend way more time on here than you spend making photographs or doing work, aside from photography, that you need to do. This time around I am really going to try to balance this.
The community here at flickr is amazing and I don't want to remove myself from that part of the experience but I simply can not spend the time on flickr that I was spending. If you are among my contacts who actively comment on my photographs, please know I so very much appreciate you and your comments. Also know I wish there were an extra two to four hours a day that I could devote completely to flickr, but there isn't. That said I intend to only comment on photographs that move me, intrigue me or just to check in from time to time with people. I am not going to commit to commenting every photo from every one of my contacts every day going forward. I certainly don't expect my contacts to comment on all of my photographs either. I hope that those of you who know me, from before and new friends I meet along the way, will understand where I am coming from.
Catch me on Facebook:
Or on Twitter:
Or Visit my photography website:
Or Visit my blog:
Photos of jeff_golden (4)
- Flickr 10-10-10 3,914 photos, 1,559 members
- 101010 - Flickr Project 5,463 photos, 1,766 members
- October 10, 2010 1,776 photos, 2,493 members
- VisionDriven 1,447 photos, 414 members
- AN IMAGE SAYS MORE THAN A THOUSAND WORDS! 810 photos, 79 members
- Canon EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro 8,165 photos, 538 members
- Strobist Sundays 2,014 photos, 879 members
- Within a Click 3,544 photos, 162 members
- 23 on the 23rd 273 photos, 53 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 190,951 photos, 5,307 members
- 165 71 photos, 5 members
- Magnificent Seven 2010 8,938 photos, 108 members
- You can't take pictures here! 12,121 photos, 2,310 members
- This Day In History 2010 20 photos, 12 members
- GR8! 395 photos, 14 members
- 50 for 50 (50mm for 50 days) - CHALLENGE HAS ENDED 469 photos, 40 members
- C'est dans la boîte! 44,718 photos, 850 members
- blue + rust 13,641 photos, 1,335 members
- Black and White 6,394,564 photos, 313,045 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 60,854 photos, 5,108 members
- Deanna Rose Farmstead 107 photos, 20 members
- AreKev's `Not Another Flickr Group 14,014 photos, 566 members
- AreKev's `Photo Book 14,113 photos, 857 members
- The Secret Life of Toys 380,202 photos, 21,365 members
- LightSource 83,588 photos, 8,708 members
- David DuChemin's Within the Frame 17,104 photos, 1,683 members
- Typical Shutterbug 18,820 photos, 562 members
- One Strobe Pony 71,281 photos, 9,005 members
- Tickled Pink 3,205 photos, 431 members
- Be Selective About Your Color 3,881 photos, 479 members
- ☆~Worthy of Flickr~☆ (Post 1 - Award 2) 8,722 photos, 810 members
- *★~Super Duper Ducky Awards~★* (Post 1 - Award 2) 9,472 photos, 552 members
- "Flickr's Awesome Blossoms" P1/A3 Sweeper Active 277,253 photos, 13,635 members
- Harley Davidson & Metric Motorcycles 28,459 photos, 2,153 members
- Lensbaby 80,487 photos, 9,746 members
- Sunday Beer Club 183 photos, 26 members
- Nik Software Photo Share 204,809 photos, 7,289 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 282,590 photos, 42,120 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 86,066 photos, 6,977 members
- High Fidelity Photo Art 58,342 photos, 3,260 members
- Royal Group - Have a Good Light ! 770,891 photos, 29,833 members
- Photomatix 438,843 photos, 20,082 members
- Totally Fake (Photoshop Techniques) 1,907 photos, 285 members
- Macros Amaze Me 412 photos, 34 members
- Black and White Macro Micro Close Up Perspectives 700 photos, 146 members
- Color Macro, Micro,Close Up Perspectives 4,121 photos, 227 members
- 1 Million 5,569 photos, 11,700 members
- Pontiac Motors Division 19,861 photos, 1,057 members
- *Best of Flickr* (Comment 1 / invite 2) PHOTOS ONLY 830,805 photos, 27,068 members
- Photography is not a crime 2,193 photos, 2,542 members
"I love Jeff's shots. He always finds something a little unusual, something I wouldn't have thought of shooting and shows it for the marvel it is. It could be something from around his home, something that I myself own but have never really looked at and Jeff will shoot it in such a way as to make me go and look again and marvel that I missed its beauty before. He is a fabulousl at people shots - always capturing them in flattering light and always with a touch of whimsy and good humour. He is a straight ahead generous man with a great talent for photography. I always learn something from each shot he posts. Have a look through his stream and you will come to appreciate both him and his work as I have."
December 6th, 2009
"Jeff, what can I say. Other than sorry, as I do not visit your stream nearly as much as I should.
The ideas behind shots, and the consistent quality are testiment to the control you hold over your camera.
Keep up the good work, and thank you for all your kind comments."
October 25th, 2009
"I find Jeff's work truly amazing. His photos are sharp and clear and he exhibits wonderful ability. To produce the photos he has taken in his brief career is raw talent. Thanks for sharing Jeff!"
June 17th, 2009
- September 2005
- Raymore, MO, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Jeff Golden Photography