Macro Photographer. When I first got into digital photography, orb weaver spiders held still and I got hooked on macros. My favorite subjects are spiders and flies. Always looking to improve my macro photography and insect ID skills.
Above middle is pretty close to what I use now (with a newer camera). Left was just a fun setup of most of the equipment I had at the time that I could stick together. It did get insane magnification, but was far to unstable to use. Right is one of my earliest macro setups.
Please respect copyright at all times. You can use my photos as your personal desktop wallpaper, but do not repost them to the web or claim them as yours. You are not allowed to post my work on wallpaper websites. If you blog one of my photos, the image must link back to my photo on Flickr and include credit. You cannot link to the large view of my photos because non-Flickr members will not be able to see it. I didn't want to do that, but I have had many images stolen or blogged improperly. The next step is uploading low resolution heavily watermarked copies. Don't make me do that.
I am willing to discuss the use my photos commercially or as artwork if you contact me about it. I have some of my photos for sale as stock photography at ShutterPoint and soon will have a few in Getty's Flickr Collection. I do not give permission to use my photos for free, for credit, or even for a good cause.
KDE 4.0 (a Linux desktop environment) includes four of my photos which were among the fifteen wallpapers chosen from over 2000 entries in 2007.
One of my light paintings was the basis for the default wallpaper for Ubuntu Linux 7.10.
I favorite far more photos than I comment on. I prefer not to leave tons of short "cool shot" comments so I favorite them instead. I comment mostly on those who frequently leave meaningful comments on my photos. I don't automatically make reverse contacts either. I keep my contact list manageable so I have time to actually keep up with my contacts photos.
My first digital cameras were a Canon S2 IS, a Canon SD800 IS, a Canon S5 IS. Since then I have upgraded to DSLRs, the Sony A350, A550, and A57, and now A77ii.
For years my macro shots were usually shot with a Raynox DCR-250 macro adapter. I later got real macro lenses. When I want to get really close up, the Raynox adapter is still useful and easy to keep in my camera bag. I don't use it much anymore, but it is a good starting point into extreme macro photography.
Photos of jciv (1)
- UltraViolet 1,434 photos, 421 members
- Square Format 5,256 photos, 208 members
- Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - NASA 3,668 photos, 2,251 members
- 3D Crossview Stereo Photos (Pro-active) 14,332 photos, 462 members
- Light Junkies 114,821 photos, 19,206 members
- Telegraph Tuesday 9,300 photos, 665 members
- THE CAMERA 874 photos, 149 members
- Bench Monday (anything bench-like) 16,943 photos, 1,235 members
- Snail Saturday 1,091 photos, 95 members
- Fisheye Fridays 101 photos, 15 members
- FishEye 166,958 photos, 14,690 members
- Meike 6.5mm F2.0 Fisheye 114 photos, 39 members
- Photobombing Flies 715 photos, 58 members
- Amazing Wildlife Photography (Post 1 / Comment 2 ) 124,021 photos, 3,943 members
- Web Wednesdays 692 photos, 47 members
- Equirectangular 22,575 photos, 3,546 members
- PANO-Vision ~* P1 / C1 *~ 1,421 photos, 48 members
- National Moth Week 82,360 photos, 1,143 members
- Wing Wednesday 4,065 photos, 180 members
- Diptera 20,679 photos, 538 members
- Eyes of March 1,636 photos, 107 members
- Only Awesome Photos 18,813 photos, 2,830 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 151,570 photos, 13,504 members
- Refractography ...... no-lens 753 photos, 270 members
- face de mouche.....MACRO...... faces of flies 1,070 photos, 191 members
- Flowers or Foliage Detail 164,799 photos, 12,147 members
- in explore 964,890 photos, 79,805 members
- Flickr Friday 36,747 photos, 40,865 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2018 937,917 photos, 89,845 members
- Redhead 56,560 photos, 6,653 members
- Venus 60mm f/2.8 Ultra-Macro Lens 2,522 photos, 346 members
- WE WANT THE OLD LAYOUT OF OUR PHOTO PAGE (P1 / A2) 7,076 photos, 1,581 members
- 3D CrossView Stereo Photos 38,312 photos, 1,094 members
- 3D Cross-view only. 31,513 photos, 727 members
- Shadow Play 94,804 photos, 6,370 members
- Stereophotography 58,443 photos, 2,606 members
- Insect Identification Help Group 26,856 photos, 4,479 members
- Macro 3D 4,536 photos, 87 members
- Effected Cameras 45,801 photos, 3,684 members
- Dragonfly of the Day from the Dragonfly Gallery 1,764 photos, 271 members
- National Geographic Wannabes 543,029 photos, 13,312 members
- The World Up-Close (Nature Macro) 492,932 photos, 15,740 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,920 photos, 1,732 members
- flickr Black Day 1,810 photos, 951 members
- Moth Monday 2,620 photos, 128 members
- Beautiful Bug Butt Thursday (BBBT) 5,968 photos, 239 members
- @Macromavens.... close-up, everyday... 51,201 photos, 718 members
- Bellows 1,246 photos, 187 members
- Aracné 7,714 photos, 673 members
- Photography Essentials 3,321 photos, 96 members
Trim Reaper says:
"One of my idols here at flickr! Jciv's works really stand out above the rest! He has his unique way of making simple everyday things making them look extraordinary with his photos.
Keep those awesome photos coming, Jciv! :)"
August 17th, 2008
Upul R says:
"A magician.. JC and his light voodoo...
2nd Steven Spielberg I know.........."
August 22nd, 2008
JK FARMS says:
"jciv has become a great flickr friend. I am amazed on how he can take a simple object and make it into a beautiful masterpiece. He strives for perfection and always reaches that goal. His Macro's are beyond words and always takes my breathe away. I am honored to know him and to be able to see his pictures and learn from him.
jciv is an OUTSTANDING PHOTOGRAPHER."
March 5th, 2008
"JCIV's photostream is one of the very first I "discovered" on flickr. I was knocked out by his beautiful images and also his perception of what is photo-worthy. His macros are simply beautiful; captured with precision and patience. And, to top it off, his compositions and sense of humor keep me visiting his photostream DAILY!
Wonderful stuff; a great contact."
November 28th, 2007
"jciv's shots are masterful. From the crystal clear macro's to the insanely colourful landscapes - every shot is worthy of being an award winner! Truly a great photostream to get lost in... What a talented photographer! Keep snapping, and look forward to more great shots! All the best."
August 27th, 2007
Pia's birdseye view says:
"jciv is always on the prowl for something interesting to put on pix to baffle us viewers with. I love it when he just posts a photo and ask us "Now, what is this, pray tell". His macro-series is pure art, with the EYE standing foremost. That was a real touch of genious, what a beautiful piece of art.
Then there is the obvious love for cats... Meaow!"
July 11th, 2007
- July 2006
- Texas, USA
- I am:
- jciv's blog