Macro Photographer. When I first got into digital photography, orb weaver spiders held still and I got hooked on macros. My favorite subjects are spiders and flies. Always looking to improve my macro photography and insect ID skills.
Above middle is pretty close to what I use now (with a newer camera). Left was just a fun setup of most of the equipment I had at the time that I could stick together. It did get insane magnification, but was far to unstable to use. Right is one of my earliest macro setups.
Please respect copyright at all times. You can use my photos as your personal desktop wallpaper, but do not repost them to the web or claim them as yours. You are not allowed to post my work on wallpaper websites. If you blog one of my photos, the image must link back to my photo on Flickr and include credit. You cannot link to the large view of my photos because non-Flickr members will not be able to see it. I didn't want to do that, but I have had many images stolen or blogged improperly. The next step is uploading low resolution heavily watermarked copies. Don't make me do that.
I am willing to discuss the use my photos commercially or as artwork if you contact me about it. I have some of my photos for sale as stock photography at ShutterPoint and soon will have a few in Getty's Flickr Collection. I do not give permission to use my photos for free, for credit, or even for a good cause.
KDE 4.0 (a Linux desktop environment) includes four of my photos which were among the fifteen wallpapers chosen from over 2000 entries in 2007.
One of my light paintings was the basis for the default wallpaper for Ubuntu Linux 7.10.
I favorite far more photos than I comment on. I prefer not to leave tons of short "cool shot" comments so I favorite them instead. I comment mostly on those who frequently leave meaningful comments on my photos. I don't automatically make reverse contacts either. I keep my contact list manageable so I have time to actually keep up with my contacts photos.
My first digital cameras were a Canon S2 IS, a Canon SD800 IS, a Canon S5 IS. Since then I have upgraded to DSLRs, the Sony A350, A550, and A57, and now A77ii.
For years my macro shots were usually shot with a Raynox DCR-250 macro adapter. I later got real macro lenses. When I want to get really close up, the Raynox adapter is still useful and easy to keep in my camera bag. I don't use it much anymore, but it is a good starting point into extreme macro photography.
Photos of jciv (1)
- Great Texas Landscapes 1,183 photos, 224 members
- UltraViolet 1,537 photos, 434 members
- Square Format 7,704 photos, 232 members
- Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - NASA 3,686 photos, 2,263 members
- 3D Crossview Stereo Photos (Pro-active) 14,941 photos, 469 members
- Light Junkies 115,899 photos, 19,313 members
- Telegraph Tuesday 10,045 photos, 694 members
- THE CAMERA 1,250 photos, 155 members
- Bench Monday (anything bench-like) 18,216 photos, 1,246 members
- Snail Saturday 1,320 photos, 108 members
- Fisheye Fridays 117 photos, 15 members
- FishEye 169,044 photos, 14,683 members
- Meike 6.5mm F2.0 Fisheye 171 photos, 54 members
- Photobombing Flies 734 photos, 57 members
- Amazing Wildlife Photography (High Quality Images Only) 132,874 photos, 4,290 members
- Web Wednesdays 905 photos, 51 members
- Equirectangular 23,839 photos, 3,714 members
- PANO-Vision ~* P1 / C1 *~ 2,789 photos, 58 members
- National Moth Week 90,951 photos, 1,155 members
- Wing Wednesday 4,894 photos, 192 members
- Diptera 22,032 photos, 566 members
- Eyes of March 1,796 photos, 103 members
- Only Awesome Photos 18,612 photos, 2,822 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 167,827 photos, 14,034 members
- Refractography ...... no-lens 764 photos, 276 members
- face de mouche.....MACRO...... faces of flies 1,065 photos, 195 members
- Flowers or Foliage Detail 169,947 photos, 12,278 members
- in explore 1,049,260 photos, 85,392 members
- Flickr Friday 40,944 photos, 41,531 members
- Closer and Closer Macro Photography: 2018 940,324 photos, 89,818 members
- Redhead 58,992 photos, 6,843 members
- Venus 60mm f/2.8 Ultra-Macro Lens 3,060 photos, 352 members
- WE WANT THE OLD LAYOUT OF OUR PHOTO PAGE (P1 / A2) 7,131 photos, 1,572 members
- 3D CrossView Stereo Photos 39,706 photos, 1,093 members
- 3D Cross-view only. 32,156 photos, 730 members
- Shadow Play (No silhouettes - only shadows please) 98,978 photos, 6,553 members
- Stereophotography 59,733 photos, 2,610 members
- Insect Identification Help Group 28,418 photos, 4,586 members
- Macro 3D 4,774 photos, 90 members
- Effected Cameras 45,899 photos, 3,763 members
- Dragonfly of the Day from the Dragonfly Gallery 1,759 photos, 272 members
- National Geographic Wannabes 542,269 photos, 13,341 members
- The World Up-Close (Nature Macro) 507,880 photos, 15,692 members
- New Flickr Layout Sucks 2,928 photos, 1,701 members
- flickr Black Day 1,783 photos, 934 members
- Moth Monday 2,901 photos, 135 members
- Beautiful Bug Butt Thursday (BBBT) 6,620 photos, 249 members
- @Macromavens.... close-up, everyday... 52,517 photos, 720 members
- Bellows 1,275 photos, 188 members
- Aracné 8,051 photos, 676 members
Trim Reaper says:
"One of my idols here at flickr! Jciv's works really stand out above the rest! He has his unique way of making simple everyday things making them look extraordinary with his photos.
Keep those awesome photos coming, Jciv! :)"
August 17th, 2008
Upul R says:
"A magician.. JC and his light voodoo...
2nd Steven Spielberg I know.........."
August 22nd, 2008
JK FARMS says:
"jciv has become a great flickr friend. I am amazed on how he can take a simple object and make it into a beautiful masterpiece. He strives for perfection and always reaches that goal. His Macro's are beyond words and always takes my breathe away. I am honored to know him and to be able to see his pictures and learn from him.
jciv is an OUTSTANDING PHOTOGRAPHER."
March 5th, 2008
"JCIV's photostream is one of the very first I "discovered" on flickr. I was knocked out by his beautiful images and also his perception of what is photo-worthy. His macros are simply beautiful; captured with precision and patience. And, to top it off, his compositions and sense of humor keep me visiting his photostream DAILY!
Wonderful stuff; a great contact."
November 28th, 2007
"jciv's shots are masterful. From the crystal clear macro's to the insanely colourful landscapes - every shot is worthy of being an award winner! Truly a great photostream to get lost in... What a talented photographer! Keep snapping, and look forward to more great shots! All the best."
August 27th, 2007
Pia's birdseye view says:
"jciv is always on the prowl for something interesting to put on pix to baffle us viewers with. I love it when he just posts a photo and ask us "Now, what is this, pray tell". His macro-series is pure art, with the EYE standing foremost. That was a real touch of genious, what a beautiful piece of art.
Then there is the obvious love for cats... Meaow!"
July 11th, 2007
- July 2006
- Texas, USA
- I am:
- jciv's blog