from San Francisco Magazine, May, 2008
... and in a March, 2009, piece, the nice people at the magazine said "Curley ... shoots haunting, late-night street scenes, as well as quirky images of offbeat events" and also pointed out the "stunning technical quality" of my work.
"We don`t make a photograph just with a camera; we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved."
-- Ansel Adams
"...but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once and it's too much; my heart fills up like a balloon and it's about to burst. And then I remember to relax. And stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flows through me, like rain, and I can't feel anything but gratitude for *every* single moment of my stupid little life...".
-- From "American Beauty"
Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
- Pablo Picasso
"By any conventional measure, a mere seven years after my graduation day, I had failed on an epic scale. An exceptionally short-lived marriage had imploded, and I was jobless, a lone parent and as poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain without being homeless. ... by every usual standard, I was the biggest failure I knew.
"Why do I talk about the benefits of failure? Simply because failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy into finishing the only work that mattered to me. ...
"I was set free, because my greatest fear had already been realized, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life."
--- author J.K. Rowling, to the 2008 graduating class at Harvard
I just like making photographs.
Many of my photos are available at
John Curley Photography
You can see more photos and read about photographers and gear and trends and lots of other stuff on my blog:
I write about Burning Man on
The Burning Blog
I also have another Flickr site:
Jackie Cat Eye
(If you'd like to use something of mine on your blog, just drop me a line.)
- 'Roid Week 2011 3,002 photos, 1,251 members
- Objective Scenes 4,148 photos, 210 members
- Friends of the Gateway (FOG) 32 photos, 4 members
- in loving memory of imapix 133 photos, 145 members
- Temple of Flux 1,043 photos, 100 members
- IMPOSSIBLE 600/ SX-70 / Spectra / 8x10 Film 28,996 photos, 2,176 members
- Diablo Magazine in the East Bay 9,070 photos, 385 members
- pola weekly 3,938 photos, 366 members
- 'Roid Week 2010 5,069 photos, 1,579 members
- Portrait Professional - Airbrushing Software (Tag Pictures) 4,903 photos, 2,645 members
- Lensbaby 79,442 photos, 10,067 members
- My Photo is in a Magazine / Publication! 160 photos, 105 members
- Please Vote for Reka Nyari! 10 photos, 337 members
- K. Lane Actions & Presets 367 photos, 639 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 502,757 photos, 21,331 members
- Sand By The Ton 70 photos, 12 members
- SF Fashion 481 photos, 86 members
- polaroid expired film 46,167 photos, 2,744 members
- Polaroid 307,814 photos, 32,560 members
- 'Roid Week 2006 189 photos, 82 members
- point lobos project 311 photos, 60 members
- 'Roid Week 2009 4,702 photos, 1,281 members
- San Francisco Magazine 15,748 photos, 382 members
- Apples & Sisters Resources 1,256 photos, 1,264 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 2,776 photos, 2,092 members
- Polaroid Spectra 21,194 photos, 2,619 members
- Photojournalism & Photojournalists 344,899 photos, 11,157 members
- SFist 86,844 photos, 1,544 members
- Death Valley - February 2010 53 photos, 36 members
- Alphatography 56 photos, 78 members
- The Sayulita Life 936 photos, 88 members
- Beaches - Around the World 181,341 photos, 12,600 members
- Hearts in The City 205 photos, 88 members
- Abstracts of Mother Nature 3,106 photos, 930 members
- An Art Opening 7 photos, 353 members
- East Bay West 4 photos, 6 members
- East Bay West Online 9 photos, 8 members
- Flaming Lotus Girls 3,207 photos, 188 members
- Naturey Crap 94,784 photos, 2,991 members
- Black Rock Arts Foundation "BRAF" 362 photos, 118 members
- News 21 / The American Dream 1,024 photos, 371 members
- **AMERICA, AMERICA! ~ Add 1 / Comment 1 191,943 photos, 5,366 members
- Photoshop Support Group 327,555 photos, 35,936 members
- Polaroid Cars 5,053 photos, 939 members
- Holgagraphy 164,884 photos, 18,267 members
- Toy Cameras 300,155 photos, 26,304 members
- I Shoot Film 2,592,869 photos, 110,108 members
- LOMO 225,717 photos, 38,472 members
- Holga 252,719 photos, 19,217 members
- Perfect Escapes Photo Pool 1,426 photos, 456 members
"the most awesome person i've never met!"
November 27th, 2007
"beautiful pics. words. heart. company.
is there anyone that would argue with me?
he is a walking, talking,
and i like his dog. too."
November 15th, 2007
"the first flickr fotographer i met in the flesh and he was fantastic. still is. besides his obvious talent he's a joy to be around. the only problem is....i can't keep up with him (even though he's older than me....by about a month or two.)"
June 27th, 2007
"John has his index finger firmly planted on the pulse of San Francisco. When you see a thumb of a new picture of his, you gotta click it -- otherwise, you'll be wondering what you missed for the rest of the day. Great stuff!"
February 2nd, 2007
"John as expected your photographs feel just like you.
Wise, open, playful, honest, like a breath of fresh air with flair!!
Thank you for being supportive and thoughtful. I hope to see you again soon;)
December 13th, 2006
Laurie York says:
"John Curley's photos, for me, are a voyage into the heart and soul of an extraordinarily gifted photographer and a caring human being. I see no separation between the two, which propels John's work into my list of favorite photographers. John's sensitivity to light and emotion fills his images with meaning beyond words, and in that quiet space, some of his remarkable photos have become etched into my own soul. Thank you my friend..."
December 5th, 2006
"the only thing i like better than john curley's photos is john curley. he's got your back when the security guard catches you tresspassing in the abandoned warehouse. he knows a place where just three dollars can buy you a world full of fortune. and most importantly of all, he will never, ever fake your raisin."
October 30th, 2006
Creative Oculus says:
Your photos are indescribable!!! I have not checked all of them yet, but the one's that I have seen and adored are absolutely superb that they are beyond words to describe.
Thanks so much for sharing to everyone here.....................Caroline"
June 19th, 2006
"one of the most charming men I've ever met, I think -- and a damned good photographer, who just keeps getting better and better. looking forwad to our next dinner of tortellinis, red wine, and endless chat..."
May 10th, 2006
Sugar Booger says:
"Nobody knows how to photograph knee socks better than John Curley. By far one of the most addictive photostreams on Flickr. His photography embodies his very nature: smart, charming and wickedly cool."
December 11th, 2005
"Light of my life, fire of my loins.
He was John. "Curley" in the morning. Standing 4'10 in one sock.
..if you know what i mean.
November 30th, 2005
steady observation says:
"John is a master of his craft. I must say, there is a side of me that wishes that he did make a living with his photography. Then there would be even more to revel in.
September 27th, 2005
"Everyone should take care not to ignore John's earlier photos - he has some great work.
It is hard to make a consistant statement about most of Flickr's best, John Curley included - he has many great sets, landscape, documentary...
Stop reading this and go to the stream before I kick myself. You'll thank me for that advice."
April 4th, 2005
actually price says:
"John's stream is a fantasy world...Its more than beautiful.
Simple as that!"
February 28th, 2005
dark wealth says:
"I believe John is one of those mystical merfolk I read about in mythology. I can see the longing, the wistful rattling of his ocean bones, as he captures images of his beloved Pacific.
And his land and people shots aren't so shabby either!"
January 25th, 2005
"John seems to "succumb" to alot of "lures." And he takes a "ridiculous" amount of pictures. Well, we can "thank" him for that. His work truly "shines," and shows a wisdom only an "experienced" eye can "reflect."
I look forward to where you're manic depression (of the shutter button) will take you."
November 30th, 2004
- November 2004
- born in New York City, now living in Pacifica, California
- i'm a photographer, writer, educator and editor