from San Francisco Magazine, May, 2008
... and in a March, 2009, piece, the nice people at the magazine said "Curley ... shoots haunting, late-night street scenes, as well as quirky images of offbeat events" and also pointed out the "stunning technical quality" of my work.
"We don`t make a photograph just with a camera; we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved."
-- Ansel Adams
"...but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once and it's too much; my heart fills up like a balloon and it's about to burst. And then I remember to relax. And stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flows through me, like rain, and I can't feel anything but gratitude for *every* single moment of my stupid little life...".
-- From "American Beauty"
Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
- Pablo Picasso
"By any conventional measure, a mere seven years after my graduation day, I had failed on an epic scale. An exceptionally short-lived marriage had imploded, and I was jobless, a lone parent and as poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain without being homeless. ... by every usual standard, I was the biggest failure I knew.
"Why do I talk about the benefits of failure? Simply because failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy into finishing the only work that mattered to me. ...
"I was set free, because my greatest fear had already been realized, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life."
--- author J.K. Rowling, to the 2008 graduating class at Harvard
I just like making photographs.
Many of my photos are available at
John Curley Photography
You can see more photos and read about photographers and gear and trends and lots of other stuff on my blog:
I write about Burning Man on
The Burning Blog
I also have another Flickr site:
Jackie Cat Eye
(If you'd like to use something of mine on your blog, just drop me a line.)
- 'Roid Week 2011 3,262 photos, 1,304 members
- Objective Scenes 3,699 photos, 223 members
- Friends of the Gateway (FOG) 32 photos, 4 members
- in loving memory of imapix 133 photos, 152 members
- Temple of Flux 1,050 photos, 103 members
- IMPOSSIBLE PX / PZ / 8x10 CP Film 26,078 photos, 2,187 members
- Diablo Magazine in the East Bay 7,628 photos, 370 members
- pola weekly 2,636 photos, 257 members
- 'Roid Week 2010 5,454 photos, 1,647 members
- Portrait Professional - Airbrushing Software (Tag Pictures) 4,407 photos, 2,259 members
- Lensbaby 75,715 photos, 9,506 members
- My Photo is in a Magazine / Publication! 77 photos, 95 members
- Please Vote for Reka Nyari! 10 photos, 360 members
- K. Lane Actions & Presets 400 photos, 663 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 329,539 photos, 19,489 members
- Sand By The Ton 71 photos, 12 members
- SF Fashion 463 photos, 85 members
- polaroid expired film 40,739 photos, 2,519 members
- Polaroid 276,878 photos, 26,670 members
- 'Roid Week 2006 210 photos, 82 members
- point lobos project 234 photos, 57 members
- 'Roid Week 2009 5,005 photos, 1,327 members
- San Francisco Magazine 10,314 photos, 350 members
- Apples & Sisters Resources 1,306 photos, 1,325 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 2,967 photos, 2,180 members
- Polaroid Spectra 20,199 photos, 2,274 members
- Photojournalism & Photojournalists 209,246 photos, 9,251 members
- SFist 68,044 photos, 1,404 members
- Death Valley - February 2010 48 photos, 34 members
- Alphatography 70 photos, 81 members
- The Sayulita Life 706 photos, 76 members
- Beaches - Around the World 69,193 photos, 6,299 members
- Hearts in The City 159 photos, 75 members
- Abstracts of Mother Nature 2,670 photos, 757 members
- An Art Opening 7 photos, 370 members
- East Bay West 3 photos, 5 members
- East Bay West Online 11 photos, 9 members
- Flaming Lotus Girls 3,166 photos, 186 members
- Naturey Crap 82,760 photos, 2,996 members
- Black Rock Arts Foundation "BRAF" 407 photos, 121 members
- News 21 / The American Dream 1,088 photos, 380 members
- **AMERICA, AMERICA! (See NEW Gallery INFO) 178,361 photos, 5,269 members
- Photoshop Support Group 225,487 photos, 33,228 members
- Polaroid Cars 4,332 photos, 845 members
- Holgagraphy 162,799 photos, 16,643 members
- Toy Cameras 297,665 photos, 23,312 members
- I Shoot Film 2,168,602 photos, 88,515 members
- LOMO 219,180 photos, 34,801 members
- Holga 251,024 photos, 19,412 members
- Perfect Escapes Photo Pool 1,533 photos, 474 members
"the most awesome person i've never met!"
27th November, 2007
"beautiful pics. words. heart. company.
is there anyone that would argue with me?
he is a walking, talking,
and i like his dog. too."
15th November, 2007
"the first flickr fotographer i met in the flesh and he was fantastic. still is. besides his obvious talent he's a joy to be around. the only problem is....i can't keep up with him (even though he's older than me....by about a month or two.)"
27th June, 2007
"John has his index finger firmly planted on the pulse of San Francisco. When you see a thumb of a new picture of his, you gotta click it -- otherwise, you'll be wondering what you missed for the rest of the day. Great stuff!"
2nd February, 2007
"John as expected your photographs feel just like you.
Wise, open, playful, honest, like a breath of fresh air with flair!!
Thank you for being supportive and thoughtful. I hope to see you again soon;)
13th December, 2006
Laurie York says:
"John Curley's photos, for me, are a voyage into the heart and soul of an extraordinarily gifted photographer and a caring human being. I see no separation between the two, which propels John's work into my list of favorite photographers. John's sensitivity to light and emotion fills his images with meaning beyond words, and in that quiet space, some of his remarkable photos have become etched into my own soul. Thank you my friend..."
5th December, 2006
"the only thing i like better than john curley's photos is john curley. he's got your back when the security guard catches you tresspassing in the abandoned warehouse. he knows a place where just three dollars can buy you a world full of fortune. and most importantly of all, he will never, ever fake your raisin."
30th October, 2006
Creative Oculus says:
Your photos are indescribable!!! I have not checked all of them yet, but the one's that I have seen and adored are absolutely superb that they are beyond words to describe.
Thanks so much for sharing to everyone here.....................Caroline"
19th June, 2006
"one of the most charming men I've ever met, I think -- and a damned good photographer, who just keeps getting better and better. looking forwad to our next dinner of tortellinis, red wine, and endless chat..."
10th May, 2006
Sugar Booger says:
"Nobody knows how to photograph knee socks better than John Curley. By far one of the most addictive photostreams on Flickr. His photography embodies his very nature: smart, charming and wickedly cool."
11th December, 2005
"Light of my life, fire of my loins.
He was John. "Curley" in the morning. Standing 4'10 in one sock.
..if you know what i mean.
30th November, 2005
"John is a master of his craft. I must say, there is a side of me that wishes that he did make a living with his photography. Then there would be even more to revel in.
27th September, 2005
"Everyone should take care not to ignore John's earlier photos - he has some great work.
It is hard to make a consistant statement about most of Flickr's best, John Curley included - he has many great sets, landscape, documentary...
Stop reading this and go to the stream before I kick myself. You'll thank me for that advice."
4th April, 2005
"John's stream is a fantasy world...Its more than beautiful.
Simple as that!"
28th February, 2005
Terri Lynn says:
"I believe John is one of those mystical merfolk I read about in mythology. I can see the longing, the wistful rattling of his ocean bones, as he captures images of his beloved Pacific.
And his land and people shots aren't so shabby either!"
25th January, 2005
"John seems to "succumb" to alot of "lures." And he takes a "ridiculous" amount of pictures. Well, we can "thank" him for that. His work truly "shines," and shows a wisdom only an "experienced" eye can "reflect."
I look forward to where you're manic depression (of the shutter button) will take you."
30th November, 2004
- November 2004
- born in New York City, now living in Pacifica, California
- i'm a photographer, writer, educator and editor