from San Francisco Magazine, May, 2008
... and in a March, 2009, piece, the nice people at the magazine said "Curley ... shoots haunting, late-night street scenes, as well as quirky images of offbeat events" and also pointed out the "stunning technical quality" of my work.
"We don`t make a photograph just with a camera; we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved."
-- Ansel Adams
"...but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once and it's too much; my heart fills up like a balloon and it's about to burst. And then I remember to relax. And stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flows through me, like rain, and I can't feel anything but gratitude for *every* single moment of my stupid little life...".
-- From "American Beauty"
Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
- Pablo Picasso
"By any conventional measure, a mere seven years after my graduation day, I had failed on an epic scale. An exceptionally short-lived marriage had imploded, and I was jobless, a lone parent and as poor as it is possible to be in modern Britain without being homeless. ... by every usual standard, I was the biggest failure I knew.
"Why do I talk about the benefits of failure? Simply because failure meant a stripping away of the inessential. I stopped pretending to myself that I was anything other than what I was, and began to direct all my energy into finishing the only work that mattered to me. ...
"I was set free, because my greatest fear had already been realized, and I was still alive, and I still had a daughter whom I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life."
--- author J.K. Rowling, to the 2008 graduating class at Harvard
I just like making photographs.
Many of my photos are available at
John Curley Photography
You can see more photos and read about photographers and gear and trends and lots of other stuff on my blog:
I write about Burning Man on
The Burning Blog
I also have another Flickr site:
Jackie Cat Eye
(If you'd like to use something of mine on your blog, just drop me a line.)
- 'Roid Week 2011 3,117 photos, 1,278 members
- Objective Scenes 3,863 photos, 215 members
- Friends of the Gateway (FOG) 32 photos, 4 members
- in loving memory of imapix 131 photos, 147 members
- Temple of Flux 1,048 photos, 103 members
- IMPOSSIBLE PX / PZ / 8x10 CP Film 25,945 photos, 2,150 members
- Diablo Magazine in the East Bay 8,382 photos, 381 members
- pola weekly 3,135 photos, 303 members
- 'Roid Week 2010 5,257 photos, 1,608 members
- Portrait Professional - Airbrushing Software (Tag Pictures) 4,056 photos, 2,599 members
- Lensbaby 81,426 photos, 9,946 members
- My Photo is in a Magazine / Publication! 132 photos, 103 members
- Please Vote for Reka Nyari! 10 photos, 351 members
- K. Lane Actions & Presets 373 photos, 651 members
- Pro Corner: Semi-Pro and Professional Photography / Photographer 419,004 photos, 21,035 members
- Sand By The Ton 71 photos, 12 members
- SF Fashion 480 photos, 88 members
- polaroid expired film 44,115 photos, 2,643 members
- Polaroid 294,020 photos, 30,560 members
- 'Roid Week 2006 189 photos, 80 members
- point lobos project 245 photos, 59 members
- 'Roid Week 2009 4,815 photos, 1,308 members
- San Francisco Magazine 13,714 photos, 381 members
- Apples & Sisters Resources 1,262 photos, 1,299 members
- The Duel Group (pool reserved for duel winners) 2,955 photos, 2,138 members
- Polaroid Spectra 20,999 photos, 2,446 members
- Photojournalism & Photojournalists 268,737 photos, 10,500 members
- SFist 81,126 photos, 1,533 members
- Death Valley - February 2010 51 photos, 36 members
- Alphatography 66 photos, 78 members
- The Sayulita Life 812 photos, 85 members
- Beaches - Around the World 119,135 photos, 9,702 members
- Hearts in The City 177 photos, 81 members
- Abstracts of Mother Nature 3,255 photos, 864 members
- An Art Opening 7 photos, 366 members
- East Bay West 4 photos, 6 members
- East Bay West Online 21 photos, 9 members
- Flaming Lotus Girls 3,210 photos, 187 members
- Naturey Crap 90,252 photos, 3,038 members
- Black Rock Arts Foundation "BRAF" 375 photos, 124 members
- News 21 / The American Dream 1,080 photos, 376 members
- **AMERICA, AMERICA! ~ Add 1 / Comment 1 187,990 photos, 5,310 members
- Photoshop Support Group 283,180 photos, 34,800 members
- Polaroid Cars 4,696 photos, 915 members
- Holgagraphy 163,928 photos, 18,753 members
- Toy Cameras 297,227 photos, 25,250 members
- I Shoot Film 2,430,212 photos, 100,801 members
- LOMO 223,483 photos, 37,600 members
- Holga 251,840 photos, 19,416 members
- Perfect Escapes Photo Pool 1,515 photos, 468 members
"the most awesome person i've never met!"
November 27th, 2007
"beautiful pics. words. heart. company.
is there anyone that would argue with me?
he is a walking, talking,
and i like his dog. too."
November 15th, 2007
"the first flickr fotographer i met in the flesh and he was fantastic. still is. besides his obvious talent he's a joy to be around. the only problem is....i can't keep up with him (even though he's older than me....by about a month or two.)"
June 27th, 2007
"John has his index finger firmly planted on the pulse of San Francisco. When you see a thumb of a new picture of his, you gotta click it -- otherwise, you'll be wondering what you missed for the rest of the day. Great stuff!"
February 2nd, 2007
"John as expected your photographs feel just like you.
Wise, open, playful, honest, like a breath of fresh air with flair!!
Thank you for being supportive and thoughtful. I hope to see you again soon;)
December 13th, 2006
Laurie York says:
"John Curley's photos, for me, are a voyage into the heart and soul of an extraordinarily gifted photographer and a caring human being. I see no separation between the two, which propels John's work into my list of favorite photographers. John's sensitivity to light and emotion fills his images with meaning beyond words, and in that quiet space, some of his remarkable photos have become etched into my own soul. Thank you my friend..."
December 5th, 2006
"the only thing i like better than john curley's photos is john curley. he's got your back when the security guard catches you tresspassing in the abandoned warehouse. he knows a place where just three dollars can buy you a world full of fortune. and most importantly of all, he will never, ever fake your raisin."
October 30th, 2006
Creative Oculus says:
Your photos are indescribable!!! I have not checked all of them yet, but the one's that I have seen and adored are absolutely superb that they are beyond words to describe.
Thanks so much for sharing to everyone here.....................Caroline"
June 19th, 2006
"one of the most charming men I've ever met, I think -- and a damned good photographer, who just keeps getting better and better. looking forwad to our next dinner of tortellinis, red wine, and endless chat..."
May 10th, 2006
Sugar Booger says:
"Nobody knows how to photograph knee socks better than John Curley. By far one of the most addictive photostreams on Flickr. His photography embodies his very nature: smart, charming and wickedly cool."
December 11th, 2005
"Light of my life, fire of my loins.
He was John. "Curley" in the morning. Standing 4'10 in one sock.
..if you know what i mean.
November 30th, 2005
"John is a master of his craft. I must say, there is a side of me that wishes that he did make a living with his photography. Then there would be even more to revel in.
September 27th, 2005
"Everyone should take care not to ignore John's earlier photos - he has some great work.
It is hard to make a consistant statement about most of Flickr's best, John Curley included - he has many great sets, landscape, documentary...
Stop reading this and go to the stream before I kick myself. You'll thank me for that advice."
April 4th, 2005
"John's stream is a fantasy world...Its more than beautiful.
Simple as that!"
February 28th, 2005
Terri Lynn says:
"I believe John is one of those mystical merfolk I read about in mythology. I can see the longing, the wistful rattling of his ocean bones, as he captures images of his beloved Pacific.
And his land and people shots aren't so shabby either!"
January 25th, 2005
"John seems to "succumb" to alot of "lures." And he takes a "ridiculous" amount of pictures. Well, we can "thank" him for that. His work truly "shines," and shows a wisdom only an "experienced" eye can "reflect."
I look forward to where you're manic depression (of the shutter button) will take you."
November 30th, 2004
- November 2004
- born in New York City, now living in Pacifica, California
- i'm a photographer, writer, educator and editor